• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2018
Not so much the making of games and coding but more the whys of certain choices such as character movement speed or combat area shape, or the idea of a satisfying gameplay loop which I often see discussed.

I'm interested in learning more and have had a look on YouTube but haven't found anything too interesting yet.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
412I6+Bkn+L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I feel like this is stuffs like this that would interest you.
GMTK is also a good source I feel

If you're interested in the animation side of things there's NewFramePlus

and that's the end of the plugs I'm legally obligated to push. :p

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Ian Bogost has written several books on the subject. They're not exactly design tutorials as much as they are gaming philosophy but I think his work would be up your alley.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UglySofaGaming
Nov 2, 2018

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Ian Bogost has written several books on it
Share the names of the books!
Thanks for the suggestions - that channel in particular seems like what I was looking for
Sure things

For music, there's a few out there but you can start with
Game Score fanfare
Also notable
NoClip
Errant Signal

Oh yeah GDC is like THE thing you want,
various game devs talking about their designs.
There's presentations from people who did BotW, Braid, CoD, etc.
Like the whole industry speak at these events.
The presentations are long though

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think these are cool, and quite quick to apply. They provided lenses with which to analyse your game design through.

I recommend the 'art of game design' book too.

I also quite like this one by Celia Holdent.

The Gamer's Brain: How Neuroscience and UX Can Impact Video Game Design : Hodent, Celia: Amazon.co.uk: Books

The Gamer's Brain: How Neuroscience and UX Can Impact Video Game Design : Hodent, Celia: Amazon.co.uk: Books

It talks a lot about human cognition and psychology, and how that interacts with game design.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Share the names of the books!
Glady. I think Persuasive Games and How To Do Things With Video Games are the ones most relevant to what OP is asking for.

I also managed to remember the name of the primary textbook that was used in my college game design course:

Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals , Salen Tekinbas, Katie, Zimmerman, Eric, eBook - Amazon.com

Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals - Kindle edition by Salen Tekinbas, Katie, Zimmerman, Eric. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals.

Turns out the Amazon "Look Inside" preview includes the Further Reading section, which is pretty neat. I just found this book on game design written by an Atari dev way back in the early 80's. The whole thing is online: https://www.digitpress.com/library/books/book_art_of_computer_game_design.pdf

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Glady. I think Persuasive Games and How To Do Things With Video Games are the ones most relevant to what OP is asking for.

I also managed to remember the name of the primary textbook that was used in my college game design course:

Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals , Salen Tekinbas, Katie, Zimmerman, Eric, eBook - Amazon.com

Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals - Kindle edition by Salen Tekinbas, Katie, Zimmerman, Eric. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals.

Turns out the Amazon "Look Inside" preview includes the Further Reading section, which is pretty neat. I just found this book on game design written by an Atari dev way back in the early 80's. The whole thing is online: https://www.digitpress.com/library/books/book_art_of_computer_game_design.pdf
Thanks, that's gonna be some nice readings to add to the pile!

I have this one

An Architectural Approach to Level Design: Second Edition: Totten, Christopher W.: 9780815361367: Amazon.com: Books

An Architectural Approach to Level Design: Second Edition [Totten, Christopher W.] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. An Architectural Approach to Level Design: Second Edition
51HXywVH8bL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's does exactly what it says on the tin.
with good examples and everything.