• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2019
I'm really upset. I had my Twitter account "shadowbanned" because I didn't realize the name of the virus was kind of a flagged word. I wasn't doing anything malicious, I guess the system just made a false assumption that I was a malicious actor. I had to abandon that Twitter account since, even after having my account locked for 24 hours, I used a few services to determine that tweets from my account are definitely being hidden from everyone's notifications.

So, I set up a VPN, created a new Email address and used my Google Voice number rather than my cell phone number to create a new account. I did everything I could to make sure there was no connection between my old account and my new one. Everything seemed fine. Then, I started following everyone that I was following using my old account and suddenly, my account got locked for 12 hours! I guess maybe following too many people all at once raises flags?

I'm afraid that when I get my account back it's going to be shadowbanned once again. Can anyone make any suggestions in terms of how I can resolve this? Writing to @twittersupport doesn't seem to garner any kind of help.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Just hold off for a bit not much else you can do. I also wouldn't recommend signing up under a VPN lol. Those IP ranges are given to twitter (most times not by the VPN peeps, just get flagged for mass logins mainly, and most accounts will get locked for using them after a bit. Also setting it up on a phone will give your location to twitter so they'll know the VPN is bs, and will lock again.

May 9, 2018
These are the official Twitter rules:

blog.twitter.com

An update on our continuity strategy during COVID-19

As the entire world faces an unprecedented public health emergency, we want to share the challenges we are facing and the contingency measures we’re putting in place to serve the public conversation.

tl;dr being a rando making info tweets about coronavirus is not helpful anymore and just adds noise.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'm really upset. I had my Twitter account "shadowbanned" because I didn't realize the name of the virus was kind of a flagged word. I wasn't doing anything malicious, I guess the system just made a false assumption that I was a malicious actor. I had to abandon that Twitter account since, even after having my account locked for 24 hours, I used a few services to determine that tweets from my account are definitely being hidden from everyone's notifications.

So, I set up a VPN, created a new Email address and used my Google Voice number rather than my cell phone number to create a new account. I did everything I could to make sure there was no connection between my old account and my new one. Everything seemed fine. Then, I started following everyone that I was following using my old account and suddenly, my account got locked for 12 hours! I guess maybe following too many people all at once raises flags?

I'm afraid that when I get my account back it's going to be shadowbanned once again. Can anyone make any suggestions in terms of how I can resolve this? Writing to @twittersupport doesn't seem to garner any kind of help.
If you're locked, just email support and they will lift the ban if you can show you're just following new accounts - it happens from time to time.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

don't say really stupid things on twitter

stop trying to circumvent bans by creating new accounts using VPNs and shit, they aren't stupid and its pretty easy to figure all that stuff out quickly. Many VPNs still pass through the real IP and phones and browsers pass through other info which makes it easy to dupe-check.

just wait and be patient, apparently thats really difficult but people not reading your deep thoughts for a few days isn't going to matter to anyone except you.

you aren't important enough that anyone on here or on twitter is going to rush to "save" your account.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
These are the official Twitter rules:

blog.twitter.com

An update on our continuity strategy during COVID-19

As the entire world faces an unprecedented public health emergency, we want to share the challenges we are facing and the contingency measures we’re putting in place to serve the public conversation.

tl;dr being a rando making info tweets about coronavirus is not helpful anymore and just adds noise.
kind of interesting that this is how easy it is for twitter to cut off a segment of its population, yet jack's public position is that it's too hard or risky to weed out white supremacists.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
#ReleaseTheTweets

Twitter has only recently started to crack down on misinformation about COVID-19/Coronavirus. They're not banning people who say "Chinese Virus," because then they'd have to ban the president and every MAGA-hat too and they'd be shocked by the revenue drop.

Generally, Twitter has started blocking content around miracle cures, home remedies, or things that fly in the face of public health officials. You might be sharing ironic or joke tweets or something, and the machine learning algorithm thought they were serious.... OR, thought even joking about something that's against public health concerns shouldn't be allowed.

Chances are a handful of your tweets are similar to the examples here, even if ironic or joking:

• Denial of global or local health authority recommendations to decrease someone's likelihood of exposure to COVID-19 with the intent to influence people into acting against recommended guidance, such as: "social distancing is not effective", or actively encouraging people to not socially distance themselves in areas known to be impacted by COVID-19.
  • Description of treatments or protective measures which are not immediately harmful but are known to be ineffective, are not applicable to the COVID-19 context, or are being shared with the intent to mislead others, even if made in jest, such as "coronavirus is not heat-resistant - walking outside is enough to disinfect you" or "use aromatherapy and essential oils to prevent COVID-19."
  • Description of harmful treatments or protection measures which are known to be ineffective, do not apply to COVID-19, or are being shared out of context to mislead people, even if made in jest, such as "drinking bleach and ingesting colloidal silver will cure COVID-19."
  • Denial of established scientific facts about transmission during the incubation period or transmission guidance from global and local health authorities, such as "COVID-19 does not infect children because we haven't seen any cases of children being sick."
  • Specific claims around COVID-19 information that intends to manipulate people into certain behavior for the gain of a third party with a call to action within the claim, such as "coronavirus is a fraud and not real - go out and patronize your local bar!!" or "the news about washing your hands is propaganda for soap companies, stop washing your hands" or "ignore news about COVID-19, it's just an attempt to destroy capitalism by crashing the stock market."
  • Specific and unverified claims that incite people to action and cause widespread panic, social unrest or large-scale disorder, such as "The National Guard just announced that no more shipments of food will be arriving for 2 months - run to the grocery store ASAP and buy everything!"
  • Specific and unverified claims made by people impersonating a government or health official or organization such as a parody account of an Italian health official stating that the country's quarantine is over.
  • Propagating false or misleading information around COVID-19 diagnostic criteria or procedures such as "if you can hold your breath for 10 seconds, you do not have coronavirus."
  • False or misleading claims on how to differentiate between COVID-19 and a different disease, and if that information attempts to definitively diagnose someone, such as "if you have a wet cough, it's not coronavirus - but a dry cough is" or "you'll feel like you're drowning in snot if you have coronavirus - it's not a normal runny nose."
  • Claims that specific groups, nationalities are never susceptible to COVID-19, such as "people with dark skin are immune to COVID-19 due to melanin production" or "reading the Quran will make an individual immune to COVID-19."
  • Claims that specific groups, nationalities are more susceptible to COVID-19, such as "avoid businesses owned by Chinese people as they are more likely to have COVID-19."

I think you should just hold off on posting to twitter until the 'shadowban' lifts.

There is a hypocrisy here that Twitter will ban this type of content, but won't ban... like large white supremacist accounts sometimes, or doesn't crack down on "GOOP" or other pseudoscience or w/e. But we shouldn't let their past inaction block them from doing the right thing here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
My money is on the "Chinese virus", not "Coronavirus" or "Covid-19".

Don't cast aspersions based on nothing.

Show us the tweet, brother. All assumptions will be dispersed.

Do you know how much off-site harassment of ERA members by lurkers takes place? If it has PID I definitely wouldn't want to link my account over here, and certainly not just to disprove some rando trying to start shit.

OP
OP
AragornsTaxPlan
Mar 25, 2019

stop trying to circumvent bans by creating new accounts using VPNs and shit, they aren't stupid and its pretty easy to figure all that stuff out quickly. Many VPNs still pass through the real IP and phones and browsers pass through other info which makes it easy to dupe-check.

just wait and be patient, apparently thats really difficult but people not reading your deep thoughts for a few days isn't going to matter to anyone except you.

you aren't important enough that anyone on here or on twitter is going to rush to "save" your account.

Jeez, I just asked for help...

Think of how much time you could have saved by just ignoring my post rather than writing me a "mic drop" reply to try and make me feel guilty

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people have the home view set on their Twitter feed. It's very likely that your tweets are not getting engagement for that reason.

I'm pretty sure Twitter doesn't shadowban anyone. So your followers probably just need to set their feed to latest.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Not sure why you have to be so hostile they were just asking a question. You also seem to misunderstand entirely why or what OP was trying to do. This has nothing to do with their "deep thoughts"

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
A lot of people have the home view set on their Twitter feed. It's very likely that your tweets are not getting engagement for that reason.

I'm pretty sure Twitter doesn't shadowban anyone. So your followers probably just need to set their feed to latest.
Actually sadly it's true that twitter shadowbans people with algorithms.

shadowban.eu

Twitter Shadowban Test

Are you shadowbanned on Twitter?

May 9, 2018
Don't cast aspersions based on nothing.

Do you know how much off-site harassment of ERA members by lurkers takes place? If it has PID I definitely wouldn't want to link my account over here, and certainly not just to disprove some rando trying to start shit.
My read of the OP is that they are leaving relevant information out, which is not helpful if they want help.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What a weird ban. People won't stop talking about the virus...

Hope you get your acc back eventually.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I created a new Twitter account for a business and I used my personal email with a +([email protected]) to separate it. Twitter banned that account, and rightfully so, as that's a common spam technique.

I just emailed service, explained the situation, and they unbanned me.

Maybe email service?

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Actually sadly it's true that twitter shadowbans people with algorithms.

shadowban.eu

Twitter Shadowban Test

This isn't proof of anything. It's far more likely that Twitter's site/app is a piece of junk that breaks.

Shadowbanning is a conspiracy theory created by reactionaries. Far more often people are using their home view and the algorithm in an attempt to drive engagement and keep people on the site is not showing you all of the tweets. This is fixed by switching to the latest view.

OP
OP
AragornsTaxPlan
Mar 25, 2019
User banned (permanent): unacceptable off-site conduct
This isn't proof of anything. It's far more likely that Twitter's site/app is a piece of junk that breaks.

Shadowbanning is a conspiracy theory created by reactionaries. Far more often people are using their home view and the algorithm in an attempt to drive engagement and keep people on the site is not showing you all of the tweets. This is fixed by switching to the latest view.

My account has a "ghost ban"
shadowban.eu

Twitter Shadowban Test

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Except this is not a lie, I literally cannot be searched nor search suggested to anyone. If someones following me they see my tweets but past that nothing.

This isn't a conspiracy theory this happens to SWs all the time.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
My account has a "ghost ban"
shadowban.eu

Twitter Shadowban Test

Did you read at all how that site works? It's basically guessing. It has no verifiable way to prove any action has been taken. A similar "ban" happened to a news outlet years ago and it turned out it was a CDN issue.

Except this is not a lie, I literally cannot be searched nor search suggested to anyone. If someones following me they see my tweets but past that nothing.

This isn't a conspiracy theory this happens to SWs all the time.

Again, that isn't proof of anything. Just like talking about dog food in front of your phone and getting an ad for it doesn't mean your phone is listening to you.

OP
OP
AragornsTaxPlan
Mar 25, 2019
Anecdotally, both of those tweets are unavailable to me. Just to add credit to your claims.

If they're unnocuous tweets, I'm surprised they got you banned. I've been tweeting furiously about public health announcements re: COVID, the pres, etc.

What image hosting site (available in English) will allow me to post images on ResetEra? I can provide screen caps

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anecdotally, both of those tweets are unavailable to me. Just to add credit to your claims.

If they're unnocuous tweets, I'm surprised they got you banned. I've been tweeting furiously about public health announcements re: COVID, the pres, etc.

I can see them both, one is asking someone to say Chinese government instead of China because people of Chinese descent are not at fault and the other is in regards to gamestop exposing workers to the virus to get a 1 day head start on selling the new a.c. game.

OptiveLink

Oct 25, 2017
say "white is right" shit and you'll get verified and promoted instead
you gotta learn the system

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
while i wouldn't (personally) ban anyone if i worked at twitter over it, i think this counts as misinformation:
- Claiming the Chinese Government is responsible for the COVID-19 pandemic (i assume i get your intent here, but it sounds like misinformation)
- Claiming gamestop risked exposing its workers to the virus just to sell one video game (no mention of any others recently available or sold on that day)

Those things may (potentially) be true, but i can see twitter just having a blanket approach of "dont make up conspiracies or unsubstantiated claims about the virus". If its just a temporary warning, then just wait it out and be more careful about making unsourced claims about the virus

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know it's your comments about the virus that got you shadowbanned? Maybe it's this one

In case others can't reach it, text is:

Black People: chained up on boats & brought to America as literal cargo.

"TransWomen": Can't cope with their own mediocrity & the fact that they have male privilege, & unfairly consider themselves marginalized.

Nope. Don't even give a fraction of a fuck

#InternationalWomenDay

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
In light of the unacceptable off-site conduct brought forth, we're going to lock this thread before it spirals further out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.