• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
I never really went to this site, except when I see a thread here about a Jason Schreier's article on Kotaku.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Amazed at how many people equates Kotaku = Jason.

kotaku.com

Inside The Culture Of Sexism At Riot Games

Throughout her three years at Riot Games, the company behind League of Legends, Lacy made it her mission to hire a woman into a leadership role. Lacy had heard plenty of excuses for why her female job candidates weren’t Riot material. Some were “ladder climbers.” Others had “too much ego.” Most...

This is some of the finest work I've seen from that website, by Cecilia

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I used to visit the site every day, i got tired of the clickbait articles and other stuff that didn't interest me and i haven't visited the site in years.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Gaming sites are a thing of the past. Nowadays I get my gaming news from Twitter or Youtube.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I don't expect you to have in-depth knowledge about the inner workings of journalism, but you need to understand that "clicks" do not equate to revenue. I get a salary and benefits from a company with a business department that sells ads, posts deals, and puts together other revenue generators (that are thankfully kept very far away from the editorial team) in order to ensure that we get paid on time.

This thread really sucks and despite your sudden pivot to sucking up to me, I have no patience for your generic disparagement of my colleagues' hard work. You want to criticize an article or offer specific feedback, be my guest. You want to try to get a bunch of people to dogpile on Kotaku, GamerGate-style, based on absolutely nothing but gut feelings, vague nonsense about "clickbait," and a threat to put us on your ad blocker? Piss off.

Responses like this, right here, are one of things I really love about Resetera.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
I like Jason but I LOVE the hell out of Tim Rogers stuff. I don't really go on any gaming "news" site though. I listen to Game Informer (damn I hope it doesn't die) and come here or Reddit.

Just listening to Tim talk is a joy.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Kotaku used to be my primary source for game news when I was in high school. Now, once in a blue moon I'll read some of Jason's reporting. Even more occasionally, I'll take a peek at one of Gita's columns. I do, however, frequently watch their YouTube content, and will watch Tim's videos pretty much immediately.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I generally enjoy reading the stuff they put up and check it a few times a day. Good investigative long stuff, quick bites of news, and impressions of games I haven't played yet are all appreciated.

Particular shout out to Gita's articles.

Waiting for those examples in click-bait articles

For real. Like I'm going through a lot of pages and I really don't see anything that particularly jumps out to me as clickbait.

Deleted member 274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tim Rogers, Heather Alexandra, Jason Schreier, Gita Jackson, Paul Tamayo, Luke Plunket, Kirk Hamilton, Chris Kohler

They're all super great, the fact y'all don't like one dude who writes for them because of the dumb Epic vs Valve war!!! is so goddamn silly but what else is new in the gamers universe I guess

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I read them quite often. They've built up a really strong slate of writers. Though this thread feels off, and I see Jason has already commented on it.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm not coming at this thread with venom or malice
Well that's a load of bull. If you have to open your thread with a statement like this, maybe you need to rethink the thread.

Regardless, they're one of the better gaming sites out there at the moment with a strong set of writers/reporters who dig a little deeper into subjects rarely covered elsewhere.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For real. Like I'm going through a lot of pages and I really don't see anything that particularly jumps out to me as clickbait.
You won't find much, because we have a strict headline process to ensure that we're not publishing baity headlines. (Something like "The Last Of Us 2 Release Date Revealed" is a good example of clickbait, one that's used on many other websites.)

What you will find is examples of articles that people disliked for one reason or another, be it us being too hard on Steam or writing about sex or feminist critique or whatever else. That's fine. People are free to dislike the stuff we publish. Things you don't like do not equate to clickbait, though.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of Kotaku, but I'm a big fan of Jason and Tim. I stay updated with their articles/videos via their respective twitter accounts so I don't ever bother going on the website.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're great for compilations of announcements and Jason. Everything else I take or leave depending on the content. But the fact this thread popped up after an article by a pro EGS guy came up is really funny.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
I used to dislike them like five years ago but now I'm impartial to them. They sometimes have great stories but I prefer less fat from websites I often visit.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
I remember when they were kinda cool years ago. I don't read them. I'm just surprised they're still active.

I wonder if Blue's News is still around?

Edit: Yes, they are. :)

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
this thread feels like it's tryin' to get people to poop on Kotaku for some reason

darkside

Oct 26, 2017

I don't blame him. Still waiting for the OP to deliver with examples of click bait. They don't even do the clickbait headlines/tweets like gamespot does
I remember when they were kinda cool years ago. I don't read them. I'm just surprised they're still active.

I wonder if Blue's News is still around?

The world doesn't revolve around you. Just because you stopped engaging with something doesn't mean it disappears.

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
meh, schreier's stuff on the game industry at large is worth a read usually but that's about all that interests me

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy a lot of articles from Kotaku, but I don't go there regularly in a "I wonder what's new on Kotaky" way

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Jason's articles and Tim's videos are all I like on Kotaku, but I really like both of those things so.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
The only poop that needs to be thrown at there, is those ironically outdated yet nostalgic Slowtaku images with the slow pokes lmao. Those never fail to make me laugh.
8EJ2Rfv_d.jpg

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
So I'm not coming at this thread with venom or malice

Yeah, we also weren't born yesterday.

I don't expect you to have in-depth knowledge about the inner workings of journalism, but you need to understand that "clicks" do not equate to revenue. I get a salary and benefits from a company with a business department that sells ads, posts deals, and puts together other revenue generators (that are thankfully kept very far away from the editorial team) in order to ensure that we get paid on time.

This thread really sucks and despite your sudden pivot to sucking up to me, I have no patience for your generic disparagement of my colleagues' hard work. You want to criticize an article or offer specific feedback, be my guest. You want to try to get a bunch of people to dogpile on Kotaku, GamerGate-style, based on absolutely nothing but gut feelings, vague nonsense about "clickbait," and a threat to put us on your ad blocker? Piss off.

Excellent response.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the writer, but yes. Sometimes Gita annoys the shit out of me with her writing, but that's about it.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
There is occasionally an overly casual tone that I'm not a fan of in the headlines or articles that I think people often label as clickbait, but on the whole I enjoy the site and I actually have been wanting to visit more.

This thread isn't cool OP

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I stay far far away from Tim's overindulgent stuff, but Jason does good work.

A lot of the stuff seems aimed toward an audience I'm not part of, which is fine.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
There is occasionally an overly casual tone that I'm not a fan of in the headlines or articles that I think people often label as clickbait, but on the whole I enjoy the site and I actually have been wanting to visit more.

This thread isn't cool OP
Yeah I feel like OP mischaracterized Kotaku in a way that was unfair to the writers. I certianly don't disrespect them myself. I wish them the best and hope they have a great career. I don't want to antagonize anyone that likes or dislikes them, as too many people often do here.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, but less so these days.

Schreier has put out some great work in the past, but he has become a little too enamored with himself and his cult of personality lately. I know, I shouldn't care, the work should speak for itself, but when he goes of his way to tweet that he won't be tweeting as much because he has to write a second book about how he is going to save the videogame world from crunch or he responds in this thread with:

I'm sorry. Get over yourself dude. I'm realize I'm being petty and most likely just jealous but my distaste for his recent online persona has led me to stop reading Kotaku. As such, I'm not too familiar with Tim Rogers' work, so perhaps I am missing out.

schreier just above said that criticizing the site is tantamount to supporting gamer-gate... like who talks like that?

people arent going to like kotaku for whatever reason. but to label them as a gamer-gate supporter... oof.

on topic, i only really visit kotaku when gita or zack post.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite gaming news outlet, I visit daily, listen to Splitscreen and generally love the writers over there. It's hard when I see people dismiss it because of quote unquote clickbait or because they have opinions on stuff.

Plus, you know, gamer gate and kotaku in action and all that shit makes me side eye those who seem to have a weird vendetta against them.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
schreier just above said that criticizing the site is tantamount to supporting gamer-gate... like who talks like that?

people arent going to like kotaku for whatever reason. but to label them as a gamer-gate supporter... oof.

he did not say that.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

This an amazing display of mental gymnastics you pulled off here. Like I'm legitimately impressed you managed to type that whole thing out without ever shaking your head and hitting backspace.

He very much implied it.

That's really not how words work.

Status
Not open for further replies.