• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the article, but yeah I'd say when I read it that I do enjoy it.

Lots of gaming media sites are filled with stuff I couldn't care less about or clickbait. IMO Kotaku's competition has gotten worse as time has gone on.

ItsTheShoes

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think when they actually do...journalism vs treating it as some weird personal blog/soapbox it's pretty decent. Tim Rogers is trying too hard for an old guy tho.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
also, you can get get a sense of what someone's like if they go off on one about how much they dislike kotaku. *side eye*

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to make money, so naturally they're going to have stuff with sensational headlines or trying push affiliate marketing on you through "check out this deal on [x]" posts. I accept this and just keep scrolling until I see something from the authors I like there. I love Gita, Jason, Cecilia, and Tim's stuff and theirs is often the stuff I seek out.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, by and large. Good podcast too. I just make sure to avoid most of the PC talk/coverage.

OP
OP
Brock2621

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Yes, I can't wait to go home and buy dinner tonight in exchange for my jasonschreier.com clicks.

I understand it's not much of a site atm, but you've got an audience big enough to go just about anywhere and be fine, no?

I'm not familiar with Univision's structure but curious if you've ever considered flying solo in the past? They seem flexible with outside work with your book, but considering your stature and "tenure" at the company, it would be cool to see you negotiate points of Kotaku itself, or a percentage of click revenue itself for your work.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not coming at this thread with venom or malice, just a genuine curiosity

lol, I call bullshit on that

But yes, i quite enjoy the site and a lot of its content. Not all of its content, but realizing not everything is for me and that's okay was a big part of growing up. You might get there one day too.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Now I feel bad that I forgot about Heather Alexandra and Gita Jackson who are also great writers.

Deleted member 20852

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I listen to Split Screen and watch Tim Rogers's Youtube videos. They have good articles occasionally, but it's not really a site I'd go to daily. I usually just find them either here or on Twitter.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
They're one of the few gaming news sites that I consider worthwhile. They get scoops on news that would otherwise get unreported (workplace standards, leaks) and on the occasion have a good feature or review that I check out.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim Rogers and Schreier are both fantastic for different reasons. Their other writers like Heather, Kirk, Zach, and Gita put out quality content as well. So to answer your question, yes, they're the gaming publication that I read the most regularly, actually.

Last edited:

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Uh if anything they've gotten much better within the last few years

also clickbait pulp articles can be fun

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Jason. That's about it. I've not been a fan of Kotaku for a long time. Polygon is my go to, but I'll go to anyone for good behind the scenes and interviews.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
No, I don't like Kotaku at all. Their content is usually clickbait, their reviews are not good enogh IMO and I just dislike their website layout.

Jason from time to time has some interesting content (he also has some bad reviews) and i can't stand the Rogers guy at all.

joedick

Mar 19, 2018
So I'm not coming at this thread with venom or malice, just a genuine curiosity from a singular person's personal perspective...

But does anyone actually ENJOY & LIKE Kotaku? I've found myself taking them off my whitelisted websites as they've (in my opinion) slowly devolved into ja-baiting clicks more often compared to deep-dive articles, breaking stories presented with equal time/attention given to both sides of a story and reviews that are actually thoughtful. I feel like they are shifting gears towards hate-clicks/clickbait and I don't actually enjoy visiting much anymore. Curious what the temperature of the room is in here...

(In before, "well then don't visit, you're obviously not their target audience.")

Seems kinda lame that you'll continue to go there while denying them ad revenue. The deep-dive articles you like are funded in part by the fluff you don't like, that's unfortunately the way things work. As you acknowledged, if you don't like it, don't go. But adblocking them because half the headlines upset you is actually making the situation worse.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Makes a lot more sense to evaluate on a writer-by-writer basis, no?

Like, ESPN has a lot of bad writers, except it also has the best basketball writer in Zach Lowe. So if I were to judge ESPN's writing one way or another, it would wind up annoyingly needing the additional qualifications and exclusions after.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I understand it's not much of a site atm, but you've got an audience big enough to go just about anywhere and be fine, no?

I'm not familiar with Univision's structure but curious if you've ever considered flying solo in the past? They seem flexible with outside work with your book, but considering your stature and "tenure" at the company, it would be cool to see you negotiate points of Kotaku itself, or a percentage of click revenue itself for your work.
I don't expect you to have in-depth knowledge about the inner workings of journalism, but you need to understand that "clicks" do not equate to revenue. I get a salary and benefits from a company with a business department that sells ads, posts deals, and puts together other revenue generators (that are thankfully kept very far away from the editorial team) in order to ensure that we get paid on time.

This thread really sucks and despite your sudden pivot to sucking up to me, I have no patience for your generic disparagement of my colleagues' hard work. You want to criticize an article or offer specific feedback, be my guest. You want to try to get a bunch of people to dogpile on Kotaku, GamerGate-style, based on absolutely nothing but gut feelings, vague nonsense about "clickbait," and a threat to put us on your ad blocker? Piss off.

Psyborg

Aug 6, 2018
I used to enjoy it and was a daily reader for a while but back in the Wii U period they published this expose calling Nintendo appalling for bragging about high metacritic scores at a shareholders meeting.

Just what? Why wouldn't they? So bizzare. I haven't been able to take them seriously since.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
So I'm not coming at this thread with venom or malice

3e3.jpg

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
If it wasn't for Era I would almost never visit Kotaku for gaming news. Tim Rogers is great, Cecilia D'Anastasio is amazing, and Jason, even if I don't agree with him when he reviews JRPGs, is an A+ journalist.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I basically only go to any gaming site when stuff's linked on here or in a feed somewhere. So I don't really visit Kotaku to check what's up, I'm just occasionally led to specific articles on there. In my experience Kotaku is mostly good, excelling at industry reporting and raising awareness of working conditions, but is bad with topics related to EGS as Kotaku doesn't particularly care about the customer perspective of this situation.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I used to, but less so these days.

Schreier has put out some great work in the past, but he has become a little too enamored with himself and his cult of personality lately. I know, I shouldn't care, the work should speak for itself, but when he goes of his way to tweet that he won't be tweeting as much because he has to write a second book about how he is going to save the videogame world from crunch or he responds in this thread with:

I think a couple of our 15 million monthly readers do.

I'm sorry. Get over yourself dude. I'm realize I'm being petty and most likely just jealous but my distaste for his recent online persona has led me to stop reading Kotaku. As such, I'm not too familiar with Tim Rogers' work, so perhaps I am missing out.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Only when there's an article from Jason that I'm interested in. I haven't used a gaming website regularly (other than Era and Gaf before) for years now.

OP
OP
Brock2621

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't expect you to have in-depth knowledge about the inner workings of journalism, but you need to understand that "clicks" do not equate to revenue. I get a salary and benefits from a company with a business department that sells ads, posts deals, and puts together other revenue generators (that are thankfully kept very far away from the editorial team) in order to ensure that we get paid on time.

This thread really sucks and despite your sudden pivot to sucking up to me, I have no patience for your generic disparagement of my colleagues' hard work. You want to criticize an article or offer specific feedback, be my guest. You want to try to get a bunch of people to dogpile on Kotaku, GamerGate-style, based on absolutely nothing but gut feelings, vague nonsense about "clickbait," and a threat to put us on your ad blocker? Piss off.

I didn't pivot away from saying you suck? You have the best articles on the site, I feel that's undeniable regardless of opinion on the site as a whole. You bring a lot to that site.

I'm not trying to cause some insurrection or mass exodus either. I didn't call out anyone specific for the very reason as to not dog pile (mods feel free to lock the thread if it does turn into one). It was a general question of what people's opinions were.

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
I did until the first big redesign and I did not know how to navigate the site anymore had no idea how to even go to next page and read full stories.
Now I only read the stuff jason tweets out.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
No, but every now and then they release some insights and reports that are legit some of the best in the gaming journalism industry. I'm not sure I even care about any other gaming sites now tbh.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Don't exactly read it religiously, but yeah. The editorial profile is much better now than before, and they have a lot of good writers - not just Schreier. Although his exposes are pretty unique in the flora of video game journalism.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to use this to say that I loved Gita Jackson's recent piece on Control, as someone who also went to a liberal arts school with a brutalist library named after the Mudd family and read Fun Home in college. It's a great little piece and it touches on a part of Control's visual design that seems to have been a little neglected relative to everything else in it.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
I like Jason Schreier's work but that's it. I actually hate how the website looks and don't really read Kotaku regularly.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i don't really visit any gaming website regularly, just click on the links if they're posted here, but i don't have any issues with kotaku. kotaku UK tho, not sure if it's fixed now but they had some low quality clickbait on there a while back.

Status
Not open for further replies.