• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
I personally enjoy reading Rogers, Schreier and Grayson. So yes.

Last edited:

Neilg

Nov 16, 2017
I like jasons articles but the website is a mess and i dont visit it to browse.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
No. Bottom tier gaming website for me. Never crosses my mind to go there.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I am glad everyone is loving Tim. Real, REAL nice to have an actual adult making videos about games.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I don't, but I don't go to any of the major sites and haven't done for years.

I just don't feel the need to anymore.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this thread was going to be about a Kotaku article about the Stephen King book.

I enjoy reading Kotaku, it's the only gaming site I regularly check these days.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I discovered them some years ago and it was in a short amount of time I realized its a type of website I don't care for. Nothing since then has given me a reason to change my opinion about em.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
jason schreier's work continues to be incredibly important to the industry. i also enjoy several of their other writers work. i listen to their podcast on a semi-regular basis. i usually click through to their articles if they tickle my fancy when they scroll past on twitter. and wonderfully their continued existence makes the gg chuds mad.

so yes i enjoy them.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Enjoy most of the stuff I read there. I read Jason and Cecilia's stuff without even thinking about it. They mostly write about the industry itself and I think are doing great work to make the industry improve and involve. Talking about their work a lot with colleagues, and their articles always provide good discussion pieces. Cecilia these past few months has done insane investigative work. Always interesting to read. Jason talking about crunch always warms my heart because it makes people be more and more exposed to this practice.

The rest I mostly click on the titles that interest me and don't actively look for them. Overall Kotaku is a good place, there is some noise, some article types I really don't enjoy but it's clearly not made for me and if it's there I'm guessing a lot of people enjoy them.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I absolutely agree and I love Jason's work, it's unparalleled. However I do think he would just continue to work and post to jasonschreier.com and live successfully on the clicks. I feel like he's a giant buoy for them.

I don't think that's an incorrect assessment, but such is the case in most media; there are often voices you come for, and that allows the platform to highlight others you might never otherwise hear.

It might not all be good, but it's valuable to lift up other voices because you never know when another talented voice might appear.

Edit: Ha, I just realized I'm replying to a fellow Brock.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i just need you to understand that just because you don't agree with the content of an article it doesn't make it click bait

Deleted member 4037

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends, I appreciate the in depth stuff that comes from them like Anthem or Riot, a lot of the opinion stuff is really bad though. Not a fan of Tim Rogers either

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every once in a while I'll check it out and see a gem of an article or two, but for the most part it's still as trashy as always.

So no, I'm not a regular visitor.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Nop, Both Kotaku and Eurogamer.net has been removed from my bookmarks last year for the same reason. Clickbait articles most of time, rarely any gaming news.

Last edited:

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If it's from Tim Rogers or Jason Schreier, yeah, usually.
^ this pretty much. I think there's Cecilia who sometimes does really great indepth looks at things but I just don't like a lot of games media anymore for a multitude of reasons.

Part of that is the problem with audiences too though. Same issue with Youtube and everything else. Everyone has to go where the money/algorithm is. There was a tweet thread I liked talking about how placesl ike Polygon and the like have tons of passionate articles written by people who love the games they're talking about and most of them go under the radar and/or unnoticed when you can just cover the most recent big title or put out a click bait article and get actual traffic to it.

It's a Catch 22 for media right now. Most people can't even be bothered to read full articles, let alone dive into some of the stuff other writers go into. I'm glad people like Jason and Tim are out there though, as I'd rather see someone passionately talk or fangasm out about the things they like or dislike than watch the same surface level examinations you see in a lot of content these days that equate to little more than a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I think, unfortunately, most sites and creators and big content goes where the money is, and unfortunately even the news isn't able to avoid going into borderline tabloid level takes these days. Not to shit on journalism as a whole, because there's great work by great people, but it's often buried under...so much garbage.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
One of the better sites out there for sure. I'll read any site that publishes Gita Jackson

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Fuck yes. Even if there's opinion threads on games/topics I don't agree with, I appreciate the different, more in depth and nuanced perspective that few other websites (VICE and Polygon are the only ones that come to mind) tend to look at.

I stopped reading IGN and Gamespot years ago since they pretty much just do the drip feed of what publishers give them for previews, trailers, screenshots, etc.

USGamer and up until recently GameInformer (I'm sure the layoffs will affect their output) also do great work that looks at games, for lack of a better phrase, more seriously.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Rarely. I think while the journalism isn't great on the site, the comment section is even worse and is often full of completely toxic behaviour.

Tim Rogers is great though. Not a fan of Jason Schreier.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
I do. Kotaku and Waypoint (Vice Games) are the only gaming publications that I read. + Critical Distance weekly roundups

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I thought Kotaku was asking if I enjoyed reading

But on topic, fuck yeah. Tim Rogers stuff is the great type of bonkers and Cecilia and Jason are two of the industry's best reporters. I often find myself reading a bunch of other interesting stuff from there as well, though I'm not as familiar with more of their staff (a bit with Gita and Luke, but that's pretty much it)

It's definitely one of my favorites and most respected outlets

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah. They have some great writers, between Cecilia D'anastasio, Maddy Myers, Gita Jackson, and Heather Alexandra, Tim Rogers' output is always entertaining, and Jason Schrier doing good investigative work (and I should probably mention Cecilia here again for their investigative work too). And that's from the top of my head.

OP
OP
Brock2621

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I don't think that's an incorrect assessment, but such is the case in most media; there are often voices you come for, and that allows the platform to highlight others you might never otherwise hear.

It might not all be good, but it's valuable to lift up other voices because you never know when another talented voice might appear.

Edit: Ha, I just realized I'm replying to a fellow Brock.

That's fair. And it's nice to meet another Brock! We are rare in company indeed.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Their reviews are great. Also all the stories about game dev and bigger leak articles.

And clickbait? Well, they have to earn money. And I tell you something - reviews don't get you too many clicks...

Apr 9, 2019
"Welcome back... to video games."

Tim Rogers is strangely but wildly compelling. Jason Schreier does extremely valuable research work. So yeah =) .

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely agree and I love Jason's work, it's unparalleled. However I do think he would just continue to work and post to jasonschreier.com and live successfully on the clicks. I feel like he's a giant buoy for them.
Yes, I can't wait to go home and buy dinner tonight in exchange for my jasonschreier.com clicks.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I like them. Gita, Brian and Cecilia cover interesting topics and Tim Rogers is one of the funniest personalities in gaming.

They have a pretty eclectic range of topics that differs a lot from other gaming news sites reporting on the same big headline items and I like the mix with anime and Japanese culture bits, it always feels like I see something new and interesting whenever I go there.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read Kotaku in years.

That's not a negative thing or anything, I don't hate them or find them a bad read, I just...don't read video game news blogsites anymore. Running one myself for a few years was bad enough. I just get my news on Era now, so sites like Kotaku offer very little for me.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I think it's one of the better game blogs/journalism sites out there, even with all of the other content that I don't care for. I assume other parts of their audience value that content, even if I don't.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I don't read any gaming site on a regular basis in the sense that I go visit their front page and click on a bunch of articles. But generally speaking, if a Kotaku article gets linked here, I go read it unless it's about a game I'm not at all interested in. Sure, there's the clickbait-y stuff (which is unfortunately part and parcel of running a lot of online news sites these days), but Kotaku's got a bunch of people doing good investigative work like Cecilia D'Anastasio and Jason Schreier, and I enjoy a bunch of their writers. I'll read most anything Gita Jackson writes because I love how sometimes she takes on the weirdest beats, like "Sims sex mods writer."

So yeah. Kotaku writes good stuff. Just like Waypoint, Polygon, etc. write good stuff.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not particularly a fan of any of the mid to large gaming news outlets, but Kotaku doesn't stand out as particularly nor egregiously bad. Just another site with another spin of their own.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I've never been to the homepage, but if I see an important article posted then I definitely read. Some of the Jason Schreier stuff has felt like really important journalism. I don't really look to them for reviews, but insider scoops & actual reporting out of Kotaku can be quite good.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I never go there unless someone links an article that seems interesting to me on here.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely not. There's better content out there. Occasionally I'll click when someone links a Kotaku article and pretty much every time find myself regretting it. It sucks because gaming media used to be something I enjoyed consuming. Now it's devolved to streamers and YouTubers (Digital Foundry is still great though).

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Just like any site there are writers and stories that I am interested in and others that don't do it as much for me. Taken as a whole there is generally more on Kotaku that interests me than not so I check there frequently. Maybe not every day I will find something that I am interested in reading (or even if I do read that I don't agree with the take) and that's just fine, I don't hold it against them or anything.

I do miss Kirk though.

Status
Not open for further replies.