• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

simmias

Oct 30, 2017
No, but I sure do wish I'd bought all my Rock Band DLC on PS3 instead of 360. Oh well.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
The only old game I've got I'd like to play again is Max Payne 3. Can't do that on either of them. I don't really keep games after finishing them and only go digital on smaller games or deep sales.

Don't mean this in a bad way OP but do you work in marketing? Noticing a lot of threads are like survey questions.

Last edited:

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What I regret a bit is buying some multiplats on console instead of Steam, but not a big deal.

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
BC and that whole program was one of the three reasons I switched from PS4 as my main to Xbox One in 2017 (other two being I got an One X and a lot of my friends went back to Xbox). I own around 160 games on the PS4, but that number hasn't increased a lot (pretty much only exclusives I've bought like Persona 5, Spider-Man, God of War and so on) because I just wasn't sure back then I could gamble on PS4 games being playable on PS5 (I thought they would be, but it was still a gamble because I didn't know). I've preordered a PS5 and Xbox Series X, but because of BC and the enhancements it made possible, Series X will continue to be my main. Honestly, that's the thing I'm most excited about. Only two next-gen titles near launch that excites me are Demon's Souls and The Medium.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Not really a big digital gamer so no. I still have my consoles hooked up to my tv if I ever want to go back.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
No. I have a good 50/50 ratio on digital purchases from the PS3/360 era.

The only digital regret I have is not getting Konami's X-Men on either console before it was delisted.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
It's why I still bought multiplatform games on PC despite mine being worse than a vanilla PS4 in some aspects for several years before I finally upgraded. I knew PS3 BC wasn't possible but when they proceeded to not bring PS1 classics forward and required PS2 classics to be rebought I concluded Sony is not an ecosystem to trust to go forward and used it only for exclusives.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
No? In reality if I buy a XSS/XSX now all my PS4 games are going to be stuck in the PS4 lol.
This situation makes sense if you have both consoles now, which is something that few people are able to do.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Agreed. As much as I enjoy looking forward it's nice to look back and play some games I have from previous generations. It's what's been so great about PC gaming so I'm glad MS is taking it serious. The console space has needed this bad and hopefully it forces Sony to take it more seriously.

I really want to retire my PS3. It's ridiculous how so many games are stuck in it.

Oct 25, 2017
Would definitely like to have access to the PS3 games I had digitally though there weren't many of them. PS4 was all digital.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Had I done many digital purchases, yes. But the few I have there either got remastered (WipEout HD, Journey, Flower, Super Stardust, Okami, Catherine) or are not that important to me anymore (Geon, Pain, Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate HD), without taking into account that some of them are now on PC or Xbox.

I have lots of PS1 Classics, but those were originally PSP purchases so do they really count? (I'd L O V E to play them on PS4/PS5 but I treat them like PS Vita games now).

But yeah looking at all the efforts from the Xbox BC team 2 years ago really made me go crazy with BC purchases and recent games as well because it's exciting to think of 4 generations on a single console (Xbox, 360, One, Series). I am always up for a trip down memory lane and even if I have my PS3 and PS2 ready to be plugged-in at any time, it's a lot more comfy with modern controllers and proper HDMI/enhancements.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I'm not all digital, but PS3 times pulled me to a lot of Cross-buy gaming. I loved the Vita, and getting the games across it and PS3 were great.

Once Sony showed how much they were willing to drop that, I went back to "maining" Xbox for anything I could get there. As the years go on, it just proves to be a better and better choice.

Once XBox started BC with old DISK, I was super-surprised. I thought such things would be digital only.

If Sony isn't going to focus on BC, I wish they'd bring forward more interesting portions of their library. Not all of us like Playstation JUST for the same old exclusives. Get some translations of never-release-in-the-US PS1 and 2 games, as one company was doing in the late PS3 days. I got stuff like Makurenai Makendo and Rapid Angel, which I totally enjoyed. There's so much stuff on PS1 and 2 and beyond I'd love to get that was only on their consoles, if only they'd energize companies to do it. It'd be a unique response that only they have the wealth of software to do such with, compared to Microsoft.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
If it wasn't for the PS3 trophies many of these memories would be lost. That's what I really like about Achievements and Trophies. It's my gaming History!

Calm Killer

Oct 25, 2017
No because all of my digital purchases are on Xbox. Only physical on Switch and PS4. Xbox has been saying this for years now...

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the 360 lineup gets a brute force res upgrade that the OG got on the one X
The OG Xbox games didn't get a "brute force" res upgrade. They went through the same process of application of the Heutcy method and testing 360 games that were X enhanced had to go through.

ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
I wish I'd made my Pinball Arcade purchases on the One instead of the PS4, especially since they've been delisted.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I just wish I went more digital on the 360/One with my games tbh. Physical is fine now but I would prefer to be able to play all my games on Series S and I don't want to keep my Xbox One running just for physical games. Ah well, Series X will do me well when my 1080p panel eventually dies

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting there. I've been pretty loyal to PS consoles because I love their exclusives but Xbox is really showing them up here.
Hopefully the amount of good buzz for the features makes Sony take note and actually invest in their own ecosystem

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Well, for Rock Band, I'm happy it's all on the Playstation, due to hardware restrictions.
But for everything else, considering how fucking low res the PS3 is, and how terrible the controller is, I reallllllllly wish they'd resurrect that stuff somehow.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I really regret going all-in on PS4 this gen. I switched from X360 and it was clearly a mistake.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
As a diehard all-digital guy from day 1, I have purchased thousands of dollars of digital games on Playstation. Basically whenever there was a sale anything that was affordable and considered good I picked up.

With Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility I wish I could go back in time and make all of those purchases on Xbox. Anybody else in the same boat?
I would do the same if I could.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
Not really. I don't intend on selling or putting away my PS3 anytime soon, so meh.
Also, as much as I love the 360/One controllers, the dpad remains absolutely atrocious to this day and since a huge swathe of the the stuff I bought digitally is 2D, I regret nothing having bought such titles on PS3. Aside from 2D stuff, my 7th gen digital library is pretty evenly divided between the 360 and the PS3 so there's no shortage of cool stuff in either.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
There's a reason I only buy exclusives on my Sony hardware.

Granted, this is a recent development (this past generation).

I don't have to wish, because that's what I did. I'm moving my whole (BC) OG Xbox/360/X1 library forward to Series X.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't make purchases expecting them to be used on any hardware other than the hardware I make the purchase on. So no.

But, it would be nice to play Motorstorm again. That's the biggest thing lost really, the past exclusives.

However, it's hard to blame Sony for wanting to innovate with their hardware. I think they made the wrong decisions with the PS3, but I'm still glad it wasn't just a plain black box. They thought the Cell would deliver a better experience to players, so that's a noble endeavour.

And once they'd gone down that route, that was bye bye forwards compatibility. But, that's okay.

I do wish they put more work into emulated backwards compatibility though. I think they have such a huge library across PS1, PS2 and PS3 games, they would really put the XBOX back catalogue to shame if they put the effort in. Even getting PS1 and PS2 emulation on the PS5 early, and opening a digital store front for any developer to make their roms available would be a nice addition for me.

Feb 23, 2019
As a diehard all-digital guy from day 1, I have purchased thousands of dollars of digital games on Playstation. Basically whenever there was a sale anything that was affordable and considered good I picked up.

With Microsoft's commitment to backwards compatibility I wish I could go back in time and make all of those purchases on Xbox. Anybody else in the same boat?

No, because PS5 plays PS4 games in BC and some in boost mode

My digital collection started with PS4 and I will continue it with PS5

I don't really see that much of a difference other than the really old legacy systems

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Let see how Sony handles boost mode for PS5. I don't think they'll be as committed as MS when it comes to enhancements for old games but if boost mode can do 60fps with better load times and possibly better resolution, I'd be fine with that.
Yup. This. I'm surprised they haven't shared more on this yet, unless I missed it somewhere.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Once i saw the love they were giving BC on Xbox i made the switch for my third parties to that system a quarter of the way through last gen.

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, when I buy something I usually buy it with the mind to use it with/for the device I bought it for.

Then again, I'm not really one to care about playing old dusty games, nor do I buy new consoles with the purpose of revising old games in mind. I barely have time for all the new games I want to play let alone "omg, I sure wish I could play a PS1, PS2 or PS3 title right now!"

You'll be aight.

Anomander

Oct 27, 2017
I barely have time to play new games, why would I want to go back and play PS3 era games. They also look like ass without enhancement.

Oct 27, 2017
No. Irrelevant on ps4 vs xbox one. But given how I still can't view my fucking purchase history from the 360 days, I'm not particularly pleased with how that's been handled either.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
I bought digital games for both ps3 and 360. But now I wish that I had been xbox only for years.

or that Sony was the one with the great bc.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
No? The best games I've played the last 2 gens aren't able to be purchased on those consoles. So its irrelevant.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope I have zero reason to think that all my PS4 stuff won't play on my PS5.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I only bought a handful of non-exclusive digital games on PS3/PS4. All others have been on 360/XO. I will continue to do this for the most part in the new generation; PS5 is my Sony game machine, Switch is my Nintendo game machine, XSX for everything else.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I luckily still used my Xbox one (prior to X) as my main third party device. Once the X came out, I obviously went with it's versions of games.

My PS4 has always been more of an "exclusives" machine. Same will happen next gen. I might wait for the inevitable PS5 pro though.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
If I had an Xbox, I'd 100% feel this way. Playstation's stance on backwards compatibility sucks.