• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
If your playing Mario Party or Smash with friends I recommend the following attire
ISHN0519_F6_pic.jpg

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
If I was that worried I'd buy a second system and shove it in a closet.

I can always buy new joycons and I'm not worried about the games themselves.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
I think I feel less frustrated when I wear things into not functioning due to using it too much than when I am overprotective and sonething fails, heck I will not go around in the bus with cotton gloves, I would get curious stares than with the switch alone, which actually does not get any attention in this day and age.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
If you want an example of what I mean by getting shiny and discolored over time, this is my DSi XL's dpad. See the ring around it? It's permanent and I believe it will happen to my switch too

KFqHheh.jpg

how do you handle sullying things like plates from silverware scraping, mattresses and couches from lying or sitting on them, cars from driving them.... etc

this is a really strange thing to be concerned about. you do you, but this is part of how things work. your computer or phone is getting worn by posting this thread

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
If you want an example of what I mean by getting shiny and discolored over time, this is my DSi XL's dpad. See the ring around it? It's permanent and I believe it will happen to my switch too

KFqHheh.jpg

It's a freaking toy device and a cheap one at that. If this discolouration makes you unable to play games on the thing buy a new one after a few years. Done.

I am all for products that you can 'buy for life'. Nintendo products are not in that category at all.

Gunpei

Mar 13, 2018
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Nintendo once sent out free white gloves to protect the palm of your hand while playing Mario Party on the Nintendo 64.

www.cnet.com

Nintendo offers glove to prevent joystick injuries

The company agrees to provide protective gloves to owners of the "Mario Party" game after receiving numerous reports of children being injured playing the game.

This condition is called Ulcerative Nintendinitis. (As opposed to normal Nintendinitis, which is RSI of the thumb from the D-pad.)

www.bmj.com

Nintendo related injuries and other problems: review

Objective To identify all reported cases of injury and other problems caused by using a Nintendo video gaming system. Design Review. Data sources and review methods Search of PubMed and Embase in June 2014 for reports on injuries and other problems caused by using a Nintendo gaming system...

W17LY

Aug 29, 2018
If that's your concern just buy a case. I find hilarious using cotton gloves while playing.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

KFqHheh.jpg
What is your financial situation like, suppose if you had to buy a replacement would you be able to? I'm curious if that's the reason you want to keep it looking tip top shape so you don't have to buy again. Because in the grand scheme of things if this is affordable for you, then it's an unreasonable amount of nothing. Especially if you're using a phone regularly and don't go gloves over it all the time.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So what, you keep a little pair of white cotton gloves next to your switch and pull then on every time you play it? Bro...

What are you going to do when the gloves get discoloured? The horror...

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah can't say that I have. If I was honestly that worried about it I would just play docked but washing your hands before play should be enough.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
I only wear gloves when I have to play fighting games with dpad. Obviously not switch and to protect my thumbs rather than the device. Playing SNK games would be sore thumb otherwise

Nov 8, 2017
I've played my Vita for years and it still looks fine. Why should I be any more worried about the Switch?

Also, I play 99%+ in docked mode using a Pro controller, so problem solved (if there even was one to begin with).

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Haha I thought this was a sarcastic thread to highlight the terrible matte finish of the Switch that comes undone way too quickly by finger grease. But he was actually being real? I guess I can't hate though, his Switch will probably look a lot better than mine.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Once in a blue moon I find someone who always wears gloves. What makes people want to do that? Are they germaphobes?

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, no screen protector either, got some light scratches I can see if the screen is off, enjoy trying to sleep tonight.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I have those marks on my N3DS XL and NSW. The bigger problem with the former is that the shiny paint has started coming off. These things are just super cheaply made hardware. Nothing you can do. Gloves are a bit extreme though.

Feb 10, 2018
Op by the time your switch gets worn from skin contact it will be a "babies toy". Also exposure to the air will color it.
If you want a pristine switch for collecting purposes buy a new one and leave it in the box unopened.
It might be a good idea to keep it in something like this.

detolf-glass-door-cabinet__0625601_PE692387_S5.JPG

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I dust my hands with chalk before I play to counteract the acid in skin oils.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I could see myself doing this if it were an extremely rare vintage synthesizer or something but this is a mass produced video game console; a toy, if you will. It is meant to be played and enjoyed. If you want a pristine copy to preserve for aliens to discover after the nuclear apocalypse, just buy another one and place it in a bunker buried deep beneath the ground.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I'm a hygiene freak and this is too much even for me, lol.

Just washing your hands before has to be enough.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think the only thing you actually need to worry about regarding wear and tear is the joycons, and they're detachable, and replacable. That's one of the Switch's strengths as a handheld.

So, I really don't think you're doing yourself any favours here, it just sounds like a persistent inconveinience.

With normal handhelds I kind of get it though. With the Vita I was always worried about the buttons getting damaged over time, and that'd be the whole system gone if that happened, but as it turned out they're very durable, never had any issues with mine.

The only thing likely to go on any controller are the analog sticks really, sometimes the analog triggers but mostly the sticks. I work around that on my expensive PS4 controllers by putting thumbstick caps on.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
If you are this concerned about future proofing your console I'd suggest you invest in a brand new model/pair of joy cons and keep it sealed, and live a little with your current Switch.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't overthink it, OP. It's a game device. It's meant to be played with and worn down through use

If you're really concerned about the pristine condition, then you should maybe consider getting another Switch and keeping it in the box as a collector's item

I dust my hands with chalk before I play to counteract the acid in skin oils.

Me right before some rounds of Smash

tenor.gif

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Get yourself a kid, OP. All that fetishization of pristine gadgetry goes out the window very quickly.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
My Gameboy from 1933 is fine.
My Gameboy Advance from 1975 is still fine.

I'm not super worried about my Switch.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say "that's weird, OP," but I did put little squares of blue masking tape on my Super Nt on the power and reset buttons which makes it look weird. I did it because on video reviews I saw of it, the middle of those buttons are shiny from being pressed and I don't want that to happen on mine.

I DO use one of them fancy tablet gloves because Im worried about my skin steadily damaging the surface of my Wacom.
c241aa5c-9953-4868-9457-9ca9ab0f94a3.jpg
I always wear one of these when messing with my Intuos, not for surface protection (I'd just replace the surface sheet), but because I like how it gets rid of the friction from my hand rubbing against the tablet. It s not that it was a "problem" before, but it just feels so much nicer with it now.

Last edited: