• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

h0mebas3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I wear white gloves, a hairnet, and booties on my feet just to be safe. Also, in the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now...

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The mechanical bits you can't help but use during regular play will break long before the oils in your skin damage the console.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
This is such an obvious "of course" I'm surprised you needed a thread to confirm it.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
No, but I make sure I wash my hands before. Honestly, this does sound like something I probably would try at one point though.

But yes, it is a bit too overprotective.

wrongway

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I've worn white cotton gloves for anything in my entire life.

Though if I were an artist I might wear one while drawing or using a tablet so I don't smear graphite or skin oil around.

This has been a serious reply.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
OP, the battery slowly degrades every time the Switch turns on. You know what you have to do.

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
If you want an example of what I mean by getting shiny and discolored over time, this is my DSi XL's dpad. See the ring around it? It's permanent and I believe it will happen to my switch too

KFqHheh.jpg

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
The only way I would do something like that would be if the Switch was a one-of-a-kind design and I hoped to later sell it for $10,000 OR if I have just used my Switch as a murder weapon and don't want to leave prints. Any other scenario is bonkers.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My dignity is worth more than the $60 a replacement set of joycons would cost after several years of use.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I wear a complete deep sea diving suit before playing the Switch in a clean room that I keep hermetically sealed.

You can't be too careful.

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
in a world of clowns
truly you are the one foretold in the ancient scrolls
genuinely the silliest thread i've run across in a couple years of lurking and occasionally bickering about stupid shit

so no
i don't wear white cotton gloves
i wear compression braces for my fragile wrists
because the switch is not ergonomic

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
If you want an example of what I mean by getting shiny and discolored over time, this is my DSi XL's dpad. See the ring around it? It's permanent and I believe it will happen to my switch too

KFqHheh.jpg

You're probably right, it will happen with your Switch if you play with bare hands.

But how it negatively changes your experience with the DSi versus the time wasted and the bore of putting gloves whenever you want to play a videogame?

Not mentioning pressing buttons with gloves always sucks.

Oct 29, 2017

KFqHheh.jpg

I get it, I like my stuff to be pristine too. But again, you're talking about a mass-produced consumer product, not some rare artifact. If the condition bothers you, selling and replacing it after several years is going to be a lot less hassle than babying it to an extreme degree each and every time you use it.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
This thread reminded me that I have these pair of pants that I bought ten+ years ago, and it is so perfect and I love it but it's falling apart and I can't find a similar replacement anywhere. I only wear it on rare special occasions now.

It'll happen to most things.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's something you don't think you'd be able to replace, you do you. Personally, it's not something that I really treasure or anything, it's just a gaming device. If you're considering the resell value, I don't think the gloves will help much.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude there are gameboys out there with practically no wear and tear. Get a silicone Cover for your joycons, you'll be fine.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
No. Only thing I've really been worried about is the rubber on the thumbsticks wearing down. I'll probably pick up a couple of thumbstick covers.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
No.

And seriously/honestly (I'm not at all trying to be insulting) that kind of sounds like some minor form of OCD.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
It's not the oil. It's literally the pressure from your hands and fingers over time wearing the plastic down. It happens to any plastic that gets touched over time. Have you ever seen a heavily used laptop keyboard before? It's not the oil.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
OP doesn't want to damage the cartridges with their fingers, meanwhile people were trying to eat them a few years ago.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

KFqHheh.jpg
It's barely noticeable, is a sign of wear and tear, doesn't impede functionality whatsoever and isn't worth wearing gloves due to the lack of convenience and comfort from wearing them.

Last edited:

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No... It's not so valuable that I'd reduce my enjoyment just to decrease the likelihood of the plastic wearing down over time or whatever. Just live life.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I think you know yourself you're being overprotective when you ask for serious replies only.