• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone. Lately I've been concerned with how the Nintendo Switch might weather over time if it is held by human hands. Plastic can become shiny from all the natural grease our body produces. So I have been using white cotton gloves ever since I got my switch as to not damage the plastic or cartridges.

Am I being over protective about my hardware? I'm starting to feel like I might be and if I am, what can I do besides wear gloves to prevent plastic from getting weathered?

Serious replies only. Much appreciated.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
hold it with paper towels?

but also... i've thought about doing this since I hate getting plastic all greasy... don't feed my obsession!

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I do think you're being way overprotective, but meh, you do you.

I personally have a bad habit of using a microfiber cloth to wipe down my handheld screens every time before I play them >.<

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Id rather just get a new one when it gets fucked up... I would only consider that if I was holding an extremely rare and one of a kind thing

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious replies only. Much appreciated.

tumblr_m5mu7ltHzD1qfwvado2_250.gif

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I mean if that's what you wanna do then go for it. It's not like this is some expensive piece of rare tech that's hard to replace though.

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
Overprotective? Perhaps. The plastic on the OG Switch will - no matter what - become "shiny". That's just the quality of the plastic reacting to the natural oils on your skin. I feel you, though; I, too, wish I could keep it pristine. But that's the way the cookie crumbles.

The plastic on the Lite is muuuuuch nicer, tho. Just saying.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buying some protective sleeves for the joycons or buy another pair seems like a better alternative.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
No, that's beyond extreme.

Hell, I don't even use a screen protector. I don't really care that much, but then again my Switch is docked 99% of the time anyway.

Oct 28, 2017
While I'm usually a great advocate for prophylactics, I believe you have taken things too far. Also, are you Mickey Mouse?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't even bother with a screen protector but I like to imagine I take decent care of my stuff. I just try not to get too bothered with needing absolute perfection.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't even play my games in order to preserve it

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't do the gloves thing, but my goddamn hands sweat so much all the time that I'm constantly wiping them on something whenever I'm playing handhelds. I really need my hand sweat glands removed.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Get a skull&co grip for 10$ and play away. Simple. Do you wear white gloves with a Playstation controller? None of my controllers on any console ever have suffered from oils

Nov 17, 2017
lol

And yeeah no. This shit will wear down most likely because of the system itself (like the JoyCon drift or the 3DS latch steadily grazing the system).

I DO use one of them fancy tablet gloves because Im worried about my skin steadily damaging the surface of my Wacom.
c241aa5c-9953-4868-9457-9ca9ab0f94a3.jpg
I don't know why but that looks like a glove an anime or JRPG character would wear.

Reminded me of Iwata
DS4_NWKWAAIJ-30.jpg
Fuck, now I'm sad.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes when it's really cold and I am too cheap to turn on the heater, I'll wear gloves while playing videogames.

PurgeVIII

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
United States
This is honestly really strange to me. Are you like this with your other possessions? I assume you own a smartphone and it most likely is more expensive than your switch, do you handle that with gloves? What else do you treat with such extreme care other than video game consoles?

OP
OP
samthebreadman
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly really strange to me. Are you like this with your other possessions? I assume you own a smartphone and it most likely is more expensive than your switch, do you handle that with gloves? What else do you treat with such extreme care other than video game consoles?

No, just the switch, its accessories, and games because the material Nintendo uses gets shiny after a bit of use. It's like the material layer erodes away or something. I hate the way it looks. Happened with my DSi and as far as I know it doesn't happen with anything else I own.