• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
For my use, there's not much difference. 99% of the time I'm just putting a disc in and playing it. And I like that you can eject a disc from the game's card. That's a nice touch. What I don't like at all is that I have to press the PS button to get to the real system menu. I get that it's technically fewer actions to have the game cards in one menu and the system menu separate, but I find it more frustrating, for some reason.

It's not a huge deal and I can get used to most "play flows", if you will. So it's kind of a side step rather than an improvement.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I miss the XMB so much man. It just made sense as opposed to this UX which is just random shit all over the place.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
I find it bizarre that you can't update games unless they're in the recently played list.

Ah, I forgot about this, too. Also, you can't "Sync Save Game status" (auto-upload/download) to check if the game is backed up and in sync on PS+ Cloud Save from the Library, only from the Recent (main bar) list. A few other options, too.

Oct 30, 2017
It's much easier on PS5.

Sharing is easier. Navigating the integrated store is much easier.

I don't miss the PS4 UI after PS5.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yeah, it just feels like change for change sakes

I like seperating Games and Media, but other then that I thought the PS4 interface was pretty much perfect.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I miss is being able to hold the power button down to shut off the console. And folders. Other than that all I use it for is to scroll to the game I want and play it, like every other console I've owned.

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
This thread comes up once a month or so and the conversation doesn't change.

Most of us aren't happy with the PS5 Interface.
And many of us - myself included - consider the PS4 interface the best we've seen. Simplistic. Functional. Personable. Amazing.

There is more granular stuff with the PS5, but most of it doesn't apply to me - and I miss my themes. Even the PS5's theme-by-game navigation design, while neat in concept to browse, isn't the same as the PS4's dashboard-wide theme to set a mood when starting the system up.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
accessing media apps and store is horrible at ps4.
those 2 are saving grace of the new ui.
other than that it needs some ux updates pretty bad.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Not only from a design perspective I think the PS5 interface has taken a huge step back (curved edges suck), but the general navigation and the use of the PS button is plain confusing.

The PS4 interface was perfect both from a design and navigation perspective. I'm not sure what Sony were smoking when they conjured up the PS5 interface. I do not find it user friendly and I'm constantly trying to figure out how to bring up my friends list, change headphone volume settings, see my downloads, or exit a game.

I found the PS4 a breeze to use. I'm honestly disappointed with the PS5 in this regard.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?
Yes absolutely, I agree with all your points.

Like you said, just try to bring up the friends menu.

Or try to visit a friend's profile, @ everyone.

And count the button presses you have to do for such a simple task.

I don't even know who would go through all the hassle to visit anyone's profile at all.

For extra fun, try to look at which games a friend has recently played. Plot twist: you can't, unless you want to scroll through the list of ALL your mutual games first!

Or try to organize your games in folders based on genres. (Just kidding, why would anyone do that anyway)

Last edited:

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
definitely a downgrade, but for now I'd just be okay with having a setting that plays the menu music instead of auto playing every music theme every time you scroll through a different game. It's obnoxious as hell and I just turned the music off entirely.

That and the trophy screen is just ass backwards - let me scroll down not side to side you maniacs.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
I do. A big downgrade compared to PS4. It's such an annoying OS. Almost everything annoys (or even irritates) me compared to PS4 OS.

Timewarp

Oct 27, 2017
Sony has a huge UI/UX problem across the board right now. From the console to PSN store. Whoever the leads are for both need to be replaced yesterday.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I miss from PS4 are themes. Everything else is better in PS5's UI. The bar wasn't that high to begin with to be honest

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Yes, it beyond awful, everything need multiple passages to do things there were instant on PS4.

But the WORSE thing is the lack of PS button double tap for going from the game to the latest OS screen... jeez if that thing was crucial on PS4.

Now you can't do any adjustment without navigate the whole OS from zero every.fucking.time... it's just a chore.
Even see the trophies on PS5 is a total pain while on PS4 you would double tap back and forth from game to trophy list (let's not talk about the new trophy view, dear God...), or even going from the game to audio options or game from latest screen/video captured.

The removal of double tap is a tragedy, and they probably did that since the majority of PS4 users didn't know about that feature, and of course you don't educate users to use a good function but you just eliminate it for everyone else. We've seen this crap with Chrome, Windows and so on... they really make OS and interfaces for clueless ppl that doesn't even comprehend the concept of "shortcut" at this point.

And isn't only this, even the quick menu is much worse, video player is terrible (it only goes from 10 seconds at time and it's buggy af, you can listen the menu music in background and video start to stutter when you skip some seconds so you have to pause and play again to make it smooth again...), and so on and on.

The only good thing is how the new Share functions are managed and the possibility to always record the last hour and decide how much portion of that video save in any moment.

Other than that I would be willing to pay to have the PS4 OS... and I used the PS5 for Astrobot and some coop play with my brother, the hour count is really low and I already hate it.

OP
OP
Dr. Doom

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony has a huge UI/UX problem across the board right now. From the console to PSN store. Whoever the leads are for both need to be replaced yesterday.
Don't get me started on the store.

Holy fuck what a clusterfuck.

The PS4 store was perfect. They've removed all the headings/subheadings in the PS5 store, and I have no fucking clue why.

Sony should fire whoever designed the PS5 UI and PS Store.

I don't own a PS5 (only borrowing it from a friend to test) but you can consider me unimpressed based on the user experience and functionality. I won't buy until they bring back the PS4 interface or give a complete overhaul to the interface.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really engage with the social/multimedia aspects of the UI so it doesn't bother me that much. The fact that the store is so fast already makes me like it more than the PS4 one.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me started on the store.

Holy fuck what a clusterfuck.

The PS4 store was perfect. They've removed all the headings/subheadings in the PS5 store, and I have no fucking clue why.

Sony should fire whoever designed the PS5 UI and PS Store.

I don't own a PS5 (only borrowing it from a friend to test) but you can consider me unimpressed based on the user experience and functionality. I won't buy until they bring back the PS4 interface or give a complete overhaul to the interface.
See you next gen then lol

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Why the FUCK can I not hold the PS button to put the console to rest. Is it not created for that purpose? It'd be like if holding the power button didn't reset my phone, c'mon, Sony, get on it.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Completely nitpicky point: Getting to rest mode on the PS4 was SOOOO easy. I feel like getting to rest mode on the PS5 is not intuitive and I'm always holding the Playstation button either not long enough or too long.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
It is shit.
I find myself frustrated using it everytime.

Wtf is is it with the horizontal trophy list?

The store is trash as well, it just loads fast.

The person who designed it needs to find a new vocation.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say a huge downgrade as there are a few things I prefer, but they should have really tried to improve things across the board. Often, it feels like change just for changes sake. Some changes are straight up for the worse though, like the trophy menu, and it oddly being like one or two too many clicks to send a message. I mean, it's fine, ultimately, and I imagine it'll improve over time.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
It's awful. Someone I knew growing up was one of the lead designers and it's just like girl... what were ya thinking.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
Why the FUCK can I not hold the PS button to put the console to rest. Is it not created for that purpose? It'd be like if holding the power button didn't reset my phone, c'mon, Sony, get on it.
switching back and forth it got to a point
where it even fucks up my xbox usage.
i keep mixing up, where i needed to hold down, or tap

Doby

Oct 25, 2017
Still cannot get used to the PS button menu. Pretty much every day I'm going up to the top menu to find the power off button.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it's not great, unfortunately. Around launch for my XSX and PS5, I was bummed that the Series X dash was 99% the same as the Xbox it was replacing. Just wanted the new device to have a cool new UI! But the more I used both consoles, the more I appreciated that the XSX dash has been iterated on many times over already. I don't hate it, but they made some real weird design decisions. Here's hoping patches get it fixed up at least.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Hold the PS button down and be able to turn the damn system off is the first change they need to make. Layers upon layers is stupid and feels backwards.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I wish they just stuck with the PS4's UI. But with some tweaks I think the PS5 UI can end up something great.

There shouldn't be like 8 button presses for the quickest way to get to your trophies.

Make the game icons bigger and trophy list vertical.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I'm getting used to it, but things like not being able to check update info etc, unless the game is on the main dash is really odd.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
It's a downgrade.
Their main objective for the PS5 UI was to make it different, not better

Subxero

Oct 25, 2017
United States
It's all around worse from a usability stand point. Even the way PS4/5 versions of the same game are handled. The store is trash compared to the last two gens. I liked the activity tab and being able see what friends had progressed on games on PS4 the new version with YouTube vids and random stream stuff just annoys me.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The PS3's XMB was wonderful, albeit somewhat slow when trying to access it in-game. The PS4's UI was a clear step backwards. Haven't used a PS5 yet, but I can certainly imagine it being an even more pronounced regression.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
PS5 UI is the thing i hate the most and why wouldn't they launch with folders which is something everyone always yells about.

You had them in 4. why remove them? I have an external drive with a metric asston of PS4 games installed give me my damn folders.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
I agree with all of this, but I can't help but wonder if the pandemic impacted OS development and resulted in them just having to get something out so it didn't delay the system launch.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Its my most disliked aspect of the console, once your in a game its fine but everything about using the console is terrible

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I do it wrong 85% of the time....hold down to rest, nope, click back, wait im not back to the game yet, hit it again, I don't care about news and activity cards, where am I?
Isnt it like, click ps button,left, X and i dont know if u have to go down for rest or switch off, but you already there.
I got confused too the first weeks but I got used easily.

Nov 1, 2017
I don't like it at all. If all it takes is a misclick to potentially ruin a game, it sucks. Let me disable every broadcasting option.