• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
A few times, but not often. Sifu is the latest game to cause it. I hadn't had issues since going into rest mode during Death Strandings DC cutscenes. If it causes it once, I just close the game before entering rest mode on future launches. But most of the time, it seems game specific.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
The only issues I've had are sometimes my controllers won't connect until I restart the system. Hasn't happened in a bit, but it's supremely annoying when it does.

Korghano

Oct 25, 2017
I still have an issue with my PS5 in rest mode. I bought a western digital SSD shortly after launch and it just kept getting corrupted in rest mode. I thought maybe I got a faulty drive, but eventually, it died a couple of weeks ago. I got a Sandisk SSD and my drive still gets corrupted most of the time when waking up. It's just annoying.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It still happens to me, but ...
  1. Never with a PS4 title in backward compatibility mode
  2. Only with some PS5 titles
  3. Those affected titles seem to be fixable via a patch
When it does occur I'll see a green flash during the initial rest process, and then the system never will go to sleep properly. Instead it will turn off hard at some point. The green flash is probably indicating a kernel panic, as this is a pretty way for an operating system to communicate that it's going down hard. The most recent title this happened to me in is The Artful Escape. Once it happened, I made a habit of going to the game's menu before going into rest mode and I didn't have any more issues. I put my system to sleep multiple times every day and have since shortly after launch so I think the observations above have been pretty heavily tested. There are numerous PS5 titles I had no trouble with at all, and others that did it routinely if I wasn't careful.

Maxxan

Jan 7, 2018
i'm having identical issues, and they only started showing up after the 1-year mark. Deathloop seems to be very prone to cause it, and I don't have the problem at all if I only play PS4 games.

Rebuilding the library helps, but I too will factory reset before Horizon and if the problem persists I will try to get a new machine.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I was having major issues with rest mode about a month after launch; it was ridiculously unreliable (experienced all of the issues you described), and none of the solutions I read online worked. I went weeks, if not months, without using it again until I decided to try it without any games or apps running, which seemed to have better results. But it probably wasn't until Returnal that I felt comfortable using it fully again.

Not sure if one of the firmware updates ultimately did the trick, or if the games I was playing at the time simply weren't functioning properly with PS5's rest mode, but I've had zero issues since.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't happen often for me, but it is annoying when it does happen. It's still under warranty, so if I don't see any improvements soon, I'll have to backup my saves and send it to repairs.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I've had it happen a few times so now what I do is make sure I close my game before going into rest mode.

Sifu definelty made it happen lately after not seeing it for months. Happened twice in a week.

gr8kamon

Oct 30, 2017
Recently Guardians of the Galaxy was acting real weird after coming out of rest mode for me, but it was actual game stuff (like cutscenes not triggering and such) so I doubt the actual rest mode was the reason and more of game loading problem

These consoles start so damn quick to start I just turn them off when I'm not in the middle of a mission and have to stop playing

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
I never use rest mode because this problem has never been confirmed to be solved. I can't believe so many people use it, honestly... safer to just turn it off.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
Happens to me all the time. Like 75% of the time when I use rest mode I get a green screen, and then when I turn the PS5 back on it says it's repairing the hard drive or whatever. I'm out of warranty though. I should have sent it in when I had the chance.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes my TV doesn't recognize the signal when I boot it up from rest mode, then I have to completely power down the PS5 first before it gets recognized again. Though maybe the TV is partly to fault here.

Never had any database issues though I usually tend to close games before I put it in rest mode