• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I have the issue where sometimes if I put my PS5 into rest mode it will just shut off improperly and it has to reboot and rebuild the database. I figured this would be fixed with an update, and it appears it's fixed some people's issues. But I'm still running into the issue. Not sure if I should do a full system restore, or if I'm eventually going to need to send it in to Sony to be repaired. Unfortunately, it's a launch model so my warranty expired in November.

Other than having some issues uploading cloud-save data to PSN the console has been working fine. I just miss rest mode working properly. For some reason AC Valhalla is slow to start, taking a bit to connect to the server. I think that's just the game though and not my console.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Hmm can't say that I have and mine is always in rest mode when not used. The time I had to rebuild the database was because we had a power outage and I think it crashed once the first week it came out.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I've had my PS5 since day 1 and never had a problem with rest mode. I've had a Toshiba 4TB HDD usb plugged into it since the beginning too since I heard that's what may cause the problem for some people.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty rare for me- it happened today, but I can't remember the last time it had happened before today

Sep 15, 2020
I was on business travel for 3 weeks, left it on standby assuming I'd have time to play on the go (nope). Booted up just fine when I got back home.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Rest mode is rock solid for me. Even around launch it only crashed for me a couple of times.

I use a 2TB SSD for PS4 games.

restrand

May 23, 2021
yeah, it still happens to me half the time I use it, probably talking to support after hfw and elden ring

kev_lor

Feb 25, 2019
My first ps5 had bad rest mode problems — almost never did rest mode successfully, would need to be hard reset to turn back on again and always have to rebuild database. Had to do a factory reset twice. After the second, I called support and sent it in (still under warranty). They sent me a new one (new serial number anyway) and no problems whatsoever with rest mode on that after 6 months or so.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Around 5 or 6 months ago, I had an issue where the console just wouldn't wake from rest mode and forced me to do a hard reboot. Happened twice in the span of a day, then again a week or two later. No issues since then, so I'm assuming a SW update addressed it.

I had the green screen/rebuild database issue happen once, but that's it.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Rest mode has always restarted fine for me (unless the power goes out)

The problem for me is that it seems to go into rest mode randomly while playing. Sometimes I've even had it drop into rest mode after 5 mins of playing. Anyone else have that?

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
If this has been a recurring issue for you, definitely should have sent it in to get repaired while still under warranty.

Only once have I had a rest mode issue, and it was back in like December 2020 with Miles Morales.

Aug 18, 2020
At least once a month for me. It drives me nuts too -- because there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason to it, I guess, other than getting an unlucky draw from the launch pool of systems.

Oct 27, 2017
Not all the time but yes. Games suspend fine but if I try to change discs after launching from rest mode, or god forbid i eject a disc from rest mode (but the game isn't suspended, it's always closed) it will lose its mind, sometimes not come up with video and almost never read the next disc I put it. I have to turn it off completely, not thru rest mode, and then it will work fine and read discs. Not a huge deal and I figure it's a software thing

yhgtu

Sep 12, 2021
Of the times I have used it, it's worked as advertised. External hard drive and all.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
On the flip side, putting my PS5 in rest mode causes Crysis 3 to not hang up on the splash screen and actually boot the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I had occasional problems but they went away a couple firmware updates ago. I leave it in rest mode all the time now without hesitation.

sanityislost

Oct 21, 2021
I haven't had a single issue with my PS5 DE, I don't have an external drive but it has been on rest mode since I got it at launch.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Launch day buy with no issues with rest mode from the start.

It seems to be reported enough solid around the web to seem like a legitimate problem for some users though, and I maintain some wariness about the possibility of my own system possibly encountering the same issue. I can only hope the problem's source is identified and worked on because it sounds like something that would definitely agitate (or, generate bothersome levels of concern) me if it was a part of my own user experience.

Snornex

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have this occasional (and minor) issue with my launch model where it will randomly wake itself from sleep after 15 minutes or so. Happens about 25% of the time.

This only started happening in the last two or three months though. Before that I had no problems whatsoever.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
I have a problem where the ps5 goes into restmode once it is booted. It was weird. Nothing horrible but annoying as fuck.I I had to change some restmode functions and that seemed to have worked until it started again after last new updates.

Waggles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Specific games reliably crash my machine.

Most recent was Kena. I hadn't had a crash in months before i started playing it. Crashes stopped as soon as i stopped letting the console enter rest mode without closing the game.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my since launch and still have issues. Mostly with updates and game downloads just not working in rest mode.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I have an external SSD connected. Rarely, I'll get error messages that mention my PS5 failed to shut down properly and the database needs to be rebuilt. Otherwise, no.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
About 30% of the time when I come out of rest mode my DualSense will not reconnect (either wireless or wired) until I force a hard reboot.

Oct 27, 2017
It happened almost 100% of the time to my launch DE for the past year, to the point where I almost never use Rest Mode, although I did use it last night and it was fine a full day later, so I have no fucking idea.

Alexandr0s

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, Washington, USA
Yes, I still have this issue with my launch PS5. Probably happens 10-20% of the time. It seems to happen more often with certain games like Spider-Man PS5 version.

Anyone have luck getting this repaired from Sony for free after the warranty period expired?

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
This happens to me at least once every two weeks. Usually I'm playing Genshin so who cares but I guess I'm just glad it's not my PS5.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Nah. I had one lockup with spider man. Seemed pretty bad, tho. So I didn't use rest until a few updates came out. Ever since I never had a problem.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I had one issue with rest mode at launch. Swapped my external hard drive out and have not had an issue since For those still having issues have contacted support to see what they have to say on this?

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
only issue I've had is where it has a hard time waking up from rest mode sometimes... it will beep and then flash white for a minute. pressing the PS button again is usually enough to wake it up correctly. seems like only certain games do it and it's fairly inconsistent overall.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I've had game installs corrupted if I put the system into rest mode while installing. I am really disappointed in the PS5's OS. It is lacking in features and buggy.