• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What are your opinion on cats/dogs?

• I love my fur babies

• Nah dawg

Results are only viewable after voting.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I had a dog and a cat. Loved them both.
It wasn't long that I noticed that there were a lot of people who hate dogs. Especially big dogs. He was very friendly and gentle, loved to play with kids, but no matter how much I would try to convince people he was safe, they hated him. There are also a lot of people who are extremely afraid of dogs not matter what their temperament. Dogs have a lot of rules where they can and can't be.

As a dog owner you just have to accept that. You have to keep him on leash and respect what other people think, even when it seems completely absurd how they see your dog.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Not a big fan of animals in general, really, and while I've kind of enjoyed the companionship the few times I've looked after other people's dogs, they were also a lot of work. So I'm perfectly happy not having any pets of my own, because my life is busy enough with work and family as it is. I'm also just not wired for loving animals, it seems.

My daughter, on the other hand, absolutely adores animals - everything from woodlice to horses. She's desperate for a dog, and she lights up whenever anything non-human is around. We can't really have a dog in our current house, because our garden is too small, but when we move and she's slightly older and more responsible, we'll probably get one. And I'll probably do the stereotypical dad thing and end up loving the dog when we do.

I'll never understand cats though. They just seem to hate people. And neighbourhood cats have scratched my car, pissed in my porch, left dead mice at the back door and a host of other really irritating things. There's a lot about cat ownership that seems to fall on the people who don't actually own the cats.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love a dog but I just cant get over picking up their shit. I once witnessed a dog spray/diarrhea shit all over the grass at a park and the owner had to clean all of that.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Small dogs can be great. A lot of people don't put the time into training them however which it sounds like it's been a lot of your experiences
Pretty much. My family has like two mutts, one German Shepherd and two cats, and they mostly don't give us that much problem. We got a yorkshire about three months ago though, and I feel like nobody amongst us is really prepared to train it properly, so it's been around three months of constantly dealing with it peeing on everything and being a overall little shit.
He's cute but for fucks sake.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I absolutely adore cats and dogs but I'm not sure I would want to have one. Sounds like a lot of work and dedication and since I'm one of the laziest people alive I'm not sure I could handle that

Jonscrambler

Nov 13, 2017
Torrance,CA
Same, my mom is allergic so never had pets growing up and just never wanted one, I see people spending so much of their day taking care of their pets and just don't get it.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I had a dog and a cat. Loved them both.
It wasn't long that I noticed that there were a lot of people who hate dogs. Especially big dogs. He was very friendly and gentle, loved to play with kids, but no matter how much I would try to convince people he was safe, they hated him. There are also a lot of people who are extremely afraid of dogs not matter what their temperament. Dogs have a lot of rules where they can and can't be.

As a dog owner you just have to accept that. You have to keep him on leash and respect what other people think, even when it seems completely absurd how they see your dog.
I got bit by a dog as a kid so I'm always a bit vary of them. I've grown out of it mostly but I remember as a child I thought that few things was as scary as a barking dog. It was never hatred, more like a fear that was hard to train away. I still stay away from strangers dogs.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't really get people's adoration for dogs. They just bark a lot and are in general quite annoying. I'm not completely against pets though, I could maybe see myself liking a cat if it makes less of a fuss and is less noisy than a dog.

See takes like this are just wrong.

my dog literally does not bark, at anything, ever. He doesn't jump on people or obsess over people usually, he just minds his own business and curls up on the floor. He's an easy dog. Dogs vary a lot in personality and discipline. I don't feed my dog tablescraps and I don't teach him bad habits so he's a very easy companion. Meanwhile our neighbor's dog is fucking annoying and barks all day.

meanwhile my cat (who gets along just fine with my dog) is more "stereotypical dog," he follows you and rubs your hands to be held and petted. He needs more attention than many cats do. It all depends on personality. But he's also pretty quiet because I reward him for quietness and don't feed him when he meows. I wait for him to get quiet before feeding.

I'd say my cat takes a lot more chore and work than the dog

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I loved my dog. I love my cats. Animals are incredible companions. Humans are very lucky to have them.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
I've grown up in the UK where it's feels very normal for people to have pets (especially dogs) but it's never been a thing in my family and family friend (Turkish) circle.

Like on the rare occasions I'm in a house with a pet I feel uncomfortable and not relaxed if the pets are walking around. I'm less weirded out by cats than dogs though.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It gets annoying when dog haters get in your face even when you are doing nothing wrong. There was a off leash dog park that I regularly went to, but some people would bring their kids their too. They would get all mad because they were worried their kids were going to get hurt.
Um lady, this is a dog park. If you're worried about your kid, take her to another park.
The rant and rave would continue. It shouldn't be allowed. You're a menace. Blah blah blah.
These types of confrontations happened a lot.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
My cat is my best friend. We rescued him two winters ago, he was found out in the snow, super skinny and with worms. Now he's healthy, sleeps on my head at night, and knocks things over on my desk while I'm working.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I Iove pets. I love dogs but I've never had one because I'm a lazy person and they need a lot of attention, but cats are effortless to take care of. Feed them and empty the litter box. That's it.
I've always had a cat. Having a warm cat sleep on your lap while watching a movie on a cold day or having it sleep in your bed close enough to your ears to hear it purr is priceless. Living with a pet is an entirely different experience than just hanging out with your friend's or parent's pets.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
When I visit friends I am more than happy to have their cat on my lap all evening and stroke them, or when we go for walks I will happily take the dog on the leash and run around with them.
That said I have absolutely zero interest in pets of my own.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I love dogs, but my wife is a cat lover and wanted to get a cat. I was against it and now I have two of them and they are the best! Cats are cool as hell!

FYI - I refrain from calling them "Pets". They are fam.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing better than dogs. We have 2 and our lives basically revolve around them, people think it's weird but we don't really give a fuck. They bring us joy every day, having a baby in December which will change things a bit but we're always going to have dogs and be obsessed with them.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with dogs, my friends had dogs and cats. I've always been meh on them. Never cried when they died, never felt emotionally attached. I just see them as animals.

OP
OP
KimiNewt

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what is the link between straight dudes and love for pet
Sorry, I just felt like straight males are the most likely to exaggerate their love for dogs thus inflating the apparent dog-love in the world. Wasn't implying that straight males love dogs more.

And I practically lived with a gf who had a dog for a couple of months and I didn't even have to take care of it that much and it still seemed like an insane amount of work/responsibility.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
There are cultures where people generally just aren't really affectionate towards animals, which seems understandable to me, even though I like pets myself.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I love that the wife is emotionally harassing the husband about getting a pet for years and the pet people are like, "the poor wife!"

That's because I can't imagine not having a pet for years.

It's just like wanting to have kids, if your partner doesn't you won't be 100% happy.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I love cats and dogs, but having a pet is quite limiting. My cat and dog both died in the last two years, and I don't intend to get another pet until I'm living somewhere permanent.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i dont like the idea of pets but while they are still a thing we do, i love my cats

i just think of them as very dumb but affectionate roommates

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
My cat recently passed away who'd been with me for 19 years. When you have a pet and you care about them yes you're the main carer and it can be a lot of work in some cases (more so with a dog) but all of that shit is worth it by far. The love they give you back is something I would never trade for anything. They care for you just as much as you care for them. They can't cook or clean for you but emotionally having a pet is one of the greatest things in the universe if you love animals. They love you as much as you love them for sure and while people will say don't be stupid animals can't understand human emotions, as someone who has had pets my entire life until now (different cats) I can tell you 100% that when you're feeling sad or low they will come and look after you.

Nassudan

Oct 27, 2017
I had a bunch of dogs growing up and I loved them all. Now I just can't be bothered to take care of a pet, so I don't have any (and don't see that changing anytime soon).

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I had pets my whole life growing up and loved them. But that was a house with myself, my sister, and two parents to all chip in and take care of them. When I moved away from home, I went several years without having any pets.

I would frequently find myself wanting another dog. Especially since I was very depressed for much of that time. But I was living in apartments and moving every year so I couldn't do it.

Fast forward to 2018 and my girlfriend and I are renting a house with a decent sized lawn, so I finally got a new puppy. I don't regret it at all, he's amazing. Not even 2 years old yet, and he's already super chill. Kind of expensive to feed and care for, but he's not high maintenence in general. He's super sweet, expressive, funny, and can always lift my mood. Wouldn't trade him for anything.

The only thing I do really miss about not having a pet, is not having to worry about leaving the house overnight or for more than a day. Having to find someone to take care of your dog while you're away is a legitimate pain in the ass.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I folded a throw blanket and put it in a shelf on my computer desk and that is where he sleeps while I do stuff.
Yeah. As long as I was within arms length, the cat would chill out and not get in my face or on the desk. The dog would chill out on the floor but I had to be in sight. He would snooze and occasionally open an eye to make sure I was still there. He seemed relieved because he thought he lost me for a moment there.

Nov 17, 2017
After looking at the hundredth dating profile with dog pics or saying "don't talk to me if you don't like cats", I wonder if some people (specifically heterosexual males) over-exaggerate their fondness for pets. Or am I the only sour one?
I do like dogs but I've never been a big pet person. Like a pet doesn't suit my current life style right now but I love visiting my family's dog. I definitely play up the dog-loving angle a bit on dating apps. It's almost necessary to get anywhere haha. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of guys fake their love of pets or at least exaggerate it.

I really dislike cats though. I don't think I could ever date a cat person. I especially am annoyed when people basically base their whole identity around their pet and it's usually cat people in my experience doing this.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Pets are wonderful, and the responsibility of taking care of something other than yourself is tremendously good for you mentally and emotionally.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Would never actually want one. I can play with them when they are someone else's responsibility but not my thing at all.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Nope.

Didn't have pets growing up.

Second year after moving out I was outvoted by my housemates and we got a cat.
I was the one who ended up looking after the bastard and it was rubbish.

Do not conflate dislike of animals/pets with me wanting them to come to harm or being some kind of psycho whatever.

I just get no joy from the experience.