• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I know when the question starts with ''does anyone else/am I the only one'' the answer is no but damn do i feel like im literally the only one when it comes to this. It's not that i don't enjoy movies or shows, i just rather do something else most of the time. I legit barely watched any movies in my life relatively speaking. And not that many shows either. I definitely prefer shows and i got hooked to some, but its so hard to convince me to watch one. Like my friends all told me how amazing Game of Thrones was and i never cared, i don't even care to look stuff up. It wasn't until like season 6 that i started watching and the only reason i did was because my gf wanted to watch something and we just gave GoT a go. And basically every time i watch a movie or show is because she wants to watch something.

Oct 30, 2017
South Coast, UK
I struggle keeping up with series, but I generally watch 10-20 movies a month. Feel it on the shows because it's far more time-consuming to watch 10 1-hour episodes than it is one 2-3 hour movie. So, no and yeah, I guess.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Na, I'm with you man, I hardly watch anything. I'll watch or listen to sports or such as white noise while playing a game, but the last time I sat down to watch a movie or stream a show....it's been a good while.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
kinda. tv shows i mostly dont care for unlesss they are short like kdramas or anime. movies i like but i struggle to really sit there for 2 hours looking at a screen with no physical input

Oct 31, 2017
I would watch a fucking crazy amount of movies and TV shows and then after high school I just suddenly stopped

Now, if I have to choose between TV shows/games/movies.... video games are always the winner.

I dunno, it might partially be due to my ADHD? I'm really not entirely sure why I just suddenly stopped; but maybe it just has to do with time and priorities.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I watch stuff with my girlfriend, and some movies I like a lot, but in general I've become way less into shows and movies in the past 5 years.

Music I love just as much as I ever did, but passive visual entertainment is losing its appeal to me.

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
kinda. tv shows i mostly dont care for. movies i like but i struggle to really sit there for 2 hours looking at a screen with no physical input
I think that is my problem too. The activity is just too passive for me, it gets really boring. Even if im enjoying the movie i start to think about other stuff a lot.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Same for me. Sure shows and movies are great but I need all my free time I got for video games. I have no idea how people are able to watch all those shows on Netflix while still gaming. It just seems too much for me.

BanditoMac

Dec 13, 2017
i feel you. it takes my partner and i forever to finish a series sometimes cause we usually game in our free time. We do really enjoy some shoes, but we really gotta be in the mood to just stop and watch something.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"not caring about shows/movies" is really two questions to me.
1. do you not care about stories in general?
2. Do you just not care about visual story formats?

The 2nd question is totally understandable, even if i think it's silly. The first is just kind of sad :(

OP
OP
Mukrab

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
"not caring about shows/movies" is really two questions to me.
1. do you not care about stories in general?
2. Do you just not care about visual story formats?

The 2nd question is totally understandable, even if i think it's silly. The first is just kind of sad :(
I care about stories i guess. I've spent a lof of time on youtube learning about the lore of some movies and games if that counts. This is one of the reasons i like shows more than movies. Movies are just too short for me to care about a story, i enjoy movies with multiple sequels for this reason. A 90min story? Meh

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Yeah, I have a hard time getting into them at this point. It's hard for me to just sit and watch something.

I'm a cranky dad, so I'd rather be puttering around in my shop/game room listening to an audiobook or something.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I really only watch a tv show or movie if people say it's really good like one of the best.
Dunno why I just can't be asked unless it's something I feel like I should watch

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I am by default uninterested in 40min-1hr long live-action fictional shows. No matter what is said about any such show, I can't be made more than indifferent at the idea of watching one and I've never made them a routine. The closest would be The Mandalorian cause I went in willing to watch it in spite of the eps being that long cause it's SW but then most episodes ended up at barely over 30min.

Jun 10, 2020
Texas
I feel the same exact way. Part of my problem is that there are just too many choices of things to watch so I can never settle on anything. I'll end up just leaving the tv on the Netflix menu then go right back to browsing my phone.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I care about stories i guess. I've spent a lof of time on youtube learning about the lore of some movies and games if that counts. This is one of the reasons i like shows more than movies. Movies are just too short for me to care about a story, i enjoy movies with multiple sequels for this reason. A 90min story? Meh
I typically prefer movies more than shows because pacing, i guess. Shows can meander for literal seasons (years) before they get good. A movie is like they have 90-180 minutes to get it right and then it's done.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I like them well enough, but my backlog seems to keep growing. I try to spend time away from home, especially during pandemic where I'm trapped at my desk.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I prefer to game in my free time. It's really hard for a movie or a television show these days to keep my attention away from my phone.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I hit a point where I'd seen pretty much every classic movie I wanted to see, and end up looking forward to only a couple of releases each year. Don't hate movies, but it's gone way down the list of entertainment choices if I'm looking to kill an evening.

TV isn't far behind, and that's a medium where I don't feel the pull to take everything good in because there's so much quality it can become all consuming. After a point the rhythms of prestige drama and situational comedies start to feel overly familiar unless it's trying something unique. Youtube has also taken over in a big way, just so much more on there aligned with my interests than browsing channels or Netflix.

TV + movies still have a place for communal activities, and with a partner any kind of passive entertainment is a fun shared experience. But on my own I gravitate towards podcasts, music, gaming, the internet - stuff that you can multitask alongside or takes active engagement.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I watch maybe like 2 or 3 movies a year.

I don't watch a lot of shows either actually. Trying to think of how many shows I've watched to completion/I'm up to date with : Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Parks and Recreations, Seinfeld, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a handful of Japanese dramas and... that might be it. Haven't watched Always Sunny since season 12 I think?
Slowly making my way through The X-Files.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
I've watched very little outside of Doctor Who or MCU stuff the last decade. I think Heroes being a profound disappointment put me off TV, and I just don't have the attention span for a movie anymore.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is kinda me for video games.
I don't really care to play the game myself most of the time.
I prefer watching my favorite Twitch streamer play them instead.
Unlike OP, I am constantly invested and watching a bunch of shows/movies.
I guess I'm the type of person that mostly cares for story/narrative in my media consumption.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing really appealing for me now TV show-wise right now, and the same with films, whereas since the pandemic started, I've read 4 books a month on average.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I feel this way about movies now. I can't stand the ultra fake and soulless CGI blockbusters that have dominated the cinema landscape. I have never seen a Marvel movie, and I never will. The concept of a cinematic universe is just ... I don't have any kind words about it.

Give me stories about real human experiences, please. Remember what Jay Sherman said, "If you stop going to bad movies, they'll stop making them."

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I quit keeping up with tv shows and just let the cream rise to the top years after. But I love film - it's one of my passions. Love classic Hollywood and 30s-60s film from around the world in general. I love a well-told story in a round two hours.

The one thing I stopped caring about is music - I rarely listen to it.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this is kinda me for video games.
I don't really care to play the game myself most of the time.
I prefer watching my favorite Twitch streamer play them instead.
Unlike OP, I am constantly invested and watching a bunch of shows/movies.
I guess I'm the type of person that mostly cares for story/narrative in my media consumption.
I was mainly like this until quarantine got into full swing. The lack of physical engagement kind of reignited my interest in playing games to pass time.

I fully anticipate that the fully swing back in the coming years, but I'm very ok with that.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Passive media is shit. I need something more engaging where I'm part of the story like pen and paper RPGs or story focused single player video games. I'm right there with you OP!

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Mostly. There's other things I would rather do, but once in a while there's something I end up watching. I don't know anything that comes out and usually leave it up to my wife to tell me that we need to watch something together.

Jul 4, 2018
I love watching movies, TV is hit and miss. Sometimes I just want to zone out and play video games though, so don't force myself to watch stuff and hate binge watching TV shows as it goes from watching for fun to feeling like a chore.

I feel like compared to others here who say they like an interactive story I'm very different, I could give a fuck about story in Video Games 99% of the time and if I want a great story will watch and movie or read a book.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I mostly* agree with you. Books/literature is my favorite medium for storytelling, shows/movies rarely compare. At this point in my life I usually watch for my partner's sake, although there are also many cases where an amazing story is exclusive to video so there is really no other option.

HomokHarcos

Jul 11, 2018
Canada
I'm not really into serialized TV series. I tried a few anime and considered watching The Sopranos, but decided a story that is stretched out like that is too long.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I love anime and I watch it a lot but when it comes to movies and TV shows I don't really like anything.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I rarely care for TV shows. I have watched.... i think two shows in the last year, TNG and The Dark Crystal which honestly were the only ones i found some bit of humanity and confident and good execution.

Movies though.... man before the pandemic i probably went at least sixty or more times to the theatre per year. I don't much care for watching movies on my computer or TV but i am a complete sucker for the theatre experience and it will never be beaten, especially for movies outside the expanded hollywood/american circle.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Not me. It's the art medium I am most passionate about. When I'm not watching films, I'm often reading about them or discussing them online.

My problem is finding movies which are worth my while to watch, seeing as ~90%+ of them are crap.

And while this post appears to be a complete oxymoron, I can assure you that it is not.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I'm not into TV, and I haven't had much interest in films lately.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I haven't really cared about TV in a number of years and I don't even watch a full season of anything a year, but I do really care about movies, more than just about anything else. I've had a hard time actually getting myself to sit down and watch them lately, though.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
No, I'm quite the opposite.

I actually really enjoy watching both movies and TV and will fully admit I probably do too much of both.

In fact, if there is a show that I interested in watching, I will not watch it unless I watch it from the beginning and will watch each episode (unless I'm just not liking it and will stop) in order. Even if a show is a considered episodic, most do have characterization to some extent and build on previous episodes/seasons and I want to get the full story.

Oct 27, 2017
This is me. I watch a movie every like 2-3 months. I often don't watch any TV shows, other times I'm following just one. I can't think of the last time I watched multiple shows at the same time.
I do like watching some sports on the weekend, though.

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
My media consumption has changed drastically over the last few years due to my deeply rooted dislike of ads, a changed schedule and new priorities, ...and getting old and grumpy.

I think I'm no longer feeling the peer pressure to stay up to date on the stuff. I also have a sizable backlog of recommendations and a significant realignment of personal priorities due to having way less time. Also, I've rediscovered the joy of reading. Doing plenty of that.

Plus, with the sole exception of Super Minion, Megamind and similar fringe cases, any of the recent-ish super hero stuff and book/franchise adaptations have me running for the hills at top speed. Which in my case equates to a strong, purposeful waddle.
But I digress.

My main "brainless TV time" goes to the occasional youtuber like the mighty Jingles, summoning salt, Scott the woz, oversimplified, historia civilis, World of Lols, Sam O'nella, Drachinifel and such. Bite sized, easily digested, even easier to discard, often good for a chuckle, sometimes even educational, but always readily available on my own schedule*.

Movies are relegated to social events (pre-Corona) and more or less an at-best-once-per-month-or-so working through past classics and recommendations ...

It's super rare that I get hooked by a series. Usually only when one of my friends seriously starts nagging at me to watch. Like, Chernobyl, yeah I watched that, I probably would have ended up on a missing person ad on the side of a milk carton otherwise.
However, I couldn't even tell you what's on Netflix right now. Not even interested. I'll just wait for a decade and pick the top ten stuff. Same with whatever's coming out of Hollywood. No rush. I've got more than enough to keep me busy right now.

*)Plus, no ads, or rather, only occasional ads in languages I can't comprehend for brands I've never heard of. Yay VPN.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I barely watch anything that isn't animated anymore. Just the occasional show. Cartoons just make me happy.

Oct 29, 2017
No, I'm pretty much the same way--now, anyway.

When I was younger (up until college) I ravenously consumed shows and movies all the time. Now I only watch a handful of movies per year, and rarely ever pick up any new shows at all.

And it's not some "oh, I think shows were SO much better back in the day" BS. I just...don't feel any impetus to keep up with anything or try anything new most of the time.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I barely watch anything that isn't animated anymore. Just the occasional show. Cartoons just make me happy.
Yeah, that's me. Cartoon Network type shows with a sprinkle of anime is what I enjoy. I watch some bigger stuff like the Marvel movies and such, but otherwise I only watched Better Call Saul and Stranger Things in the past year.

Hard to talk to others about shows since a lot of people I know aren't into cartoons anymore, but oh well.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
I just have a hard time sitting down and watching something. It takes a level of patience I don't usually have. Often times I'll make plans to watch a movie, then suddenly it's 3 in the morning and I realize I just spent hours reading random things on the internet.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I know when the question starts with ''does anyone else/am I the only one'' the answer is no but damn do i feel like im literally the only one when it comes to this. It's not that i don't enjoy movies or shows, i just rather do something else most of the time. I legit barely watched any movies in my life relatively speaking. And not that many shows either. I definitely prefer shows and i got hooked to some, but its so hard to convince me to watch one. Like my friends all told me how amazing Game of Thrones was and i never cared, i don't even care to look stuff up. It wasn't until like season 6 that i started watching and the only reason i did was because my gf wanted to watch something and we just gave GoT a go. And basically every time i watch a movie or show is because she wants to watch something.

I've widdled my TV time down to a few select network shows like The Goldbergs, Brooklyn 99, and a few others. Most of my other TV time is with streaming services where I can binge a show and get it over quickly as opposed to drawing it out over the course of a year.

Movies I will still watch on the regular.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I watch some shows now and then.

As for movies it's a struggle. They are just not exciting to me like they used to 10 years ago snd above. Like if it weren't for the cries about Parasite winning over Joker, I wouldn't have cared to watch them at all.

Hell the first cinema just opened in my city few months ago and still haven't went there even tho it is a dream came true for them to open. I just don't care for them.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I usually watch about 1 movie a month. I haven't stayed current or even watched a tv series in over a decade. Dropping all stream services and cable, and only using YouTube will do that.