• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I just don't feel like anyone is right or wrong here. Nor am I accusing anyone out there who is working hard in this industry or looking to plagiarize. In fact it would be the ones not working hard who'd be doing that in the first place.

I have some limited experience in the comic book world, and alot through friends. And even from the outside looking in, ideas and works are constantly stolen. Art is literally traced as well. So I have this nature lean towards caution.

Now I have stated that once I am able to actually create some art in the fashion I desire (I ordered an iPad finally) I'll have no problem with sharing those pieces. But definitely not in any written form now. I'm not a writer so that isn't my best way to present my work.

In this medium it's hard to gauge someone's tone through text. So I do my best to determine one's message as I'm reading. Typically, and often on here people get upset quickly. If that assumption (which I posed as a question) was wrong, I apologize.
i will give you one million dollars for one of you ideas. Don't settle for less and keep them super secret until then. Era is looking to become rich off of your hard work. Everybody knows concepts are what matters. Execution is just a matter of getting a couple programming students off craigslist to code your website game. You can pay them in exposure.

OP
OP
Liquor

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
i will give you one million dollars for one of you ideas. Don't settle for less and keep them super secret until then. Era is looking to become rich off of your hard work. Everybody knows concepts are what matters. Execution is just a matter of getting a couple programming students off craigslist to code your website game. You can pay them in exposure.
Yea. This is the kind of bullshit post we didn't need.

OP
OP
Liquor

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
I apologize for making fun. I was shaking my head at your impressive stubbornness in the face of complete disagreement and wanted to join in your entertaining paranoia. Can you really blame me? ;)
Yes. It adds nothing to the discussion and its distracting. Not sure how that helps.

Urizen

Apr 12, 2019
considering the chances of someone like me (From India) to even get a chance to even be part of a project or company.

You must kidding. Publishers boast with multi cultural teams all over the world. Just to name a big one, Ubisoft. They have colleagues from every corner of the Earth.

Talent is not a question of origin or country borders!

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
When I was younger, I wanted to be a video game designer but more towards a director/writer.

But so many people saw it as laughable and not a smart path to take considering the chances of someone like me (From India) to even get a chance to even be part of a project or company.

That and the fact that such a career choice may force me to relocate which I didnt want and long term wouldnt be financially stable considering how unstable the industry is.

It always makes me sad to read stuff like this, cause I went through the same shit. When I first started learning about CG to get into the industry, my friends and family basically ridiculed me and thought I'd end up like a bum, the typical artist who goes through life never making an actual living (also because I grew up in Austria and there's basically no games industry here at all). I did succeed though, I converted their disparaging bullshit into motivation ("I'm gonna show them!"), studied hard for years and years and then got offers overseas, did that for a while and now I'm running a studio of 70+ game developers from literally all over the world and we're working super hard to make amazing stuff that makes our fans happy.

Morale of the story: Don't ever let anybody tell you that you can't do a thing. None of this stuff is rocket-science. It's hard to make games, but a person with dedication can achieve anything they want.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Free game idea:

It's like Wall Street Kid, but you play as Biff from Back To The Future. You have a limited amount of fuel in your Delorean and you go to different time periods to buy stock. It would limit what time periods you could go to to stop paradoxes and if you do too much too fast you crash the market or get arrested for presumed insider trading.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
I just personally find it hard to believe that there is no one out there looking for at the very least, inspiration for a new game title. Or at the least, an element of a game already being worked on in some phase or another.

Or whose to say a film, book, or script? I mean, we have whole studios devoted to copying the big fish out there in the film industry.

Maybe my experiences in college messed me up, but as I get older my trust in others has gone way down.

Trust me, it ain't ever going to happen. Nobody is gonna steal your idea cause an idea alone is worth nothing. Even your art, no matter how good it is, won't magically translate into some amazing game design. No professional is scouring through the internet in search for ideas. It's also highly unlikely, unless you shipped a few games before, that your idea would even translate into a proper experience just like that. Ideas are just the start of a thing. Once you start making an actual prototype around the idea, the idea changes many, many, many times and will have nothing to do with your original thought anymore.

I'm not trying to be disparaging, but I've been doing this for like 15 years now and not a single time when someone told me of their great idea did I ever think: "Holy shit, that guy is onto something, that would totally make for a great game!". It's just not that easy. If you have something in your head that excites you, you'd need to turn that into an actual prototype and see if the idea even makes any sense once you put it to a test - And the truth is that most of your ideas won't even work out at all.

The moment you have a cool prototype or something that does something totally unique, that's where I'd be cautious, cause it might very well be that you show some cool mechanic online and some designer shares that with other designers and they see a solved problem and will solve their problem the same way.

Personally, I don't worry about any of this at all. I show prototypes and ideas to everyone around me, simply because if I make a thing around an idea and another person makes a thing around the same idea, the result will still be something completely different. That's just how things work. I copy a lot of elements from this or that game in my own stuff and it always ends up becoming our own twist on things that turn out to be unique, cause there's a whole process involved.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
OP, this part...

I guess as an artist I need to start building an online presence and portfolio, and give people the opportunity to work with me on concepts they may see that gets them interested enough to explore.

...Is absolutely essential. There are literally millions of people out there who daydream about their ideas and have vague concepts for some sort of game world or fantasy world or book/comic/movie universe. If you're content to be one of those people, there's nothing wrong with that, it's just a fun bit of daydreaming for you and maybe some friends you gab about it with. But if you actually want to make something happen, you HAVE to put yourself out there.

Honestly, go make a Twitter/Tumblr account today. Start putting up your sketches or doodles or drawings. Follow artists you like. Share your stuff. If your style and ideas are distinctive and unique, that's all the more reason that they won't be stolen.

I get that you're a bit gunshy about putting your stuff out there. But you have to. I've had to do it. Every artist or developer has had to it. Or else your passion won't go anywhere (unless, again, you're happy for it just to be your own little thing).

No one is crawling through social media to steal your ideas, trust me. Even bigshot artists and developers find it difficult to get their own ideas made into a game or movie or comic, because funding is hard to get and these things take so long to build up. They certainly aren't to go and steal your ideas, when they're in the rat race to get their own stuff made.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have plenty of ideas but not the ability or focus to make them a reality. I did a few prototype projects with a coder friend but we never got to the point of releasing anything. If anything, I am probably a Director of people to make a project for me haha.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo stole my idea for Mario Odyssey, and I'm still bit ticked bout that.

"Mario would be perfect for NX," I said, and now look where we are smh.

Sky Walker

Oct 25, 2017
I actually do have one. The best 3D Sonic game: Bring the people who worked on Sonic Generation to create a new one but with Nintendo's supervision and quality assurance.

Last edited: