• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The perceived value of a free or rented game is mostly diminished in comparison to the one specifically picked and purchased. It's a psychological thing and, unsurprisingly, a lot of people confirm this in this very thread, myself included.

While it's good that today the games are very accessible in terms of distribution, I personally remain quite selective of what I play and purchase. I prefer not to accumulate backlog and purchase the games that I'm most confident in physically. But that is for selected titles, I certainly more explorative with digital distribution or a subscription. Yet I still prefer to give any game I play a proper chance.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Yes but only because I was much less interested in those games to begin with or I would've spent the money on them.

Game Pass is the exception and I don't seem to give up any earlier on games I was interested in regardless of their XGP availability. Beat Doom Eternal in no time flat, XGP be damned.

Abaddonn

Dec 4, 2018
I definately think thats true for me as well, if I get a free game I'm much more likely to drop it way faster than if I had paid full price, then I would definately give it more time before giving up on it.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely. If I payed for it I normally try to stick with it (even if I ultimately don't), if I didn't I give up way sooner and easier.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Absolutely. I rent a lot of my games so if I'm not having fun after a few hours I sent it back and move on. But if I've paid for it I'm far more likely to slog it out.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. If I get a game for cheap or free I am willing to toss it if it doesn't grab me.

If I paid $60 I am going to will myself into getting some damn fun for my money.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
If I paid for a game I'm way more likely to stick with it and give it a bigger chance

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
With regard to game subscription services, when I only get through half a dozen games a year these days, out of hundreds released every year, I don't see the point in anything giving me up to half a dozen random ones a month. I barely get to finish the literal handful of games I really want to play, let alone a random selection. I remember when I used to collect the Ps+ games years ago but I didn't even touch 95% of them, even though they are technically in genres I like. Same goes for books and films, the amount of available media exceeds my spare time to experience them, so it's easier to just be extremely picky than curate libraries of hundreds of things just because they are free.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't matter if it was for free or I paid 60€ for it, as soon as a Game bores me to to death or annoys me I'm out

Oct 27, 2017
I do but it's mostly because I'm going to try out games that I don't have as much, if any, interest in when they are free. If I'm going to spend money, I also will do a bit more research and reading about a game before I do, which has helped me mostly stay away from games that I don't enjoy.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's odd. There are a few ps+ games that I was looking to buy but then barely played when I got them free.
With Gamepass I rarely seem to stick with anything.
Meanwhile all the new gen games I actually bought like Demon's Souls I've invested plenty of time in and platinumed.