• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
It feels worse since what used to be $80 is now $90, but it's otherwise a rather standard practice industry-wide. I generally think digital deluxe editions are crap, and if I'm going to pay more, I'll get the physical DE which usually comes with a CD, art book, maybe a steelcase, etc., but hey, these things must sell if they keep creating them.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
This has been industry standard for many years now.

Never bought a deluxe version as it is mostly junk that I don't care about.
I have bought a few, but yeah..this is nothing new...?

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

Why is this thread aimed at Sony in particular?

Deluxe editions have been around for years from pretty much every publisher. I don't buy them often but if somebody perceives it as good value and loves the franchise then they are more than welcome
Did you run away OP?
Thread backfire. Not enough co-signers. lol

This wasn't the outcome they were hoping for.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
The tax on these digital games is what always gets me. It adds like three more o's to the ooooof. Why are they taxing my bits?

Sweep14

Oct 27, 2017
That's not insulting at all. It's a proposal. You're not forced to buy them if the price doesn't suit you

Ser_Luke

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 30, 2019
No? Why would I be insulted over pricing? Lol. If a game isn't worth the price I see I just wait for a sale.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
No. It's basically, you want more stuff? You pay more.

How is that "insulting"?
I think they probably mean they've already jacked the price up somewhat arbitrarily, so they could presumably only charge a $10 premium in the case of these things especially given how minimal the actual bonus is. It feels a bit predatory to me personally but I'm not one of the people who feel the need to buy stuff like this.

blodtann

Jun 7, 2018
I have no problem with different versions as long as it doesn't give some sort of competitive advantage, and that my save games carry over if I upgrade (LOL).

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
The Deluxe editions are always terrible so it's no big. It's be worse if they put stuff in there that made me want to buy any of them. Pretty easy to not buy the Gold Sunglasses for $20.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My bet is OP has taken the thread off watch and put on ignore pretty quickly.
One of the worst concern threads I've seen in a while.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
That looks like buying an easier (at least start) for Demon's Souls. I don't think I would want that.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Somehow - yes. But people are buying and it's 20$ extra for Sony - so they keep offering this.
Imho Sony is making the wrong calls right now. I've been riding the Sony train since day one but they are fckn up right now - Microsoft's strategy is well thought through and they are making all the right calls at the right time. Preordering was organized pretty well, acquiring Bethesda one day BEFORE PreOrder starts, putting EA Play in the GamePass. And yet, Sony has the exclusives imho but Microsoft is closing in which feels great.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
They're dumb and don't affect the "regular user", but it's still a "yeah I want to be scammed" button that shouldn't exist.

That, on top of an absolutely disgusting 80€ price tag for the base game.

And then the obvious bait that is the Digital Edition, which will become more expensive than the proper version of the console as soon as you buy, like, 5 games.

Sigh.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
Insulted is a bit far, but it certainly doesn't seem worth the money and I won't be picking up any digital deluxes from the launch titles. I'm also planning to buy mostly physical games on PS5 so it doesn't work for me on that front either.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
Not going digital but I really don't mind paying 100 dollars for Demon's Souls. Say what you want but Sony exclusives are typically top tier gaming experiences. They make the most sense imo to pay slightly more for. I bought TLoU2 deluxe edition and don't regret it one bit. So I'd say it's okay as long as the quality is there and you want to support that/get some cool extras. The game will still be amazing if you don't have those in the case of Souls at least. :)

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the deluxe edition for ghost of Tsushima and cannot even remember what it gave me. They usually aren't worth it imo

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I think OP had no idea Digital Deluxe Editions are quite frequent from all major publishers, for the last decade or so.

I never bought them, since I buy mostly physical, but it's not like they ever have something required to play the game, it's just a perk to get a bit more revenue from the diehard fans. When you do the math they are healthy for the industry as long as it's not some pay-to-win MTX.

And the diehard fans are happy to pay the extra.