• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I only think it's shitty when they include important content, like exclusive things that affect the game that you can't get otherwise.

If it's early access to stuff or just cosmetics, I couldn't care less.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Or if you can wait a year the game will be $20 and the version with the DLC will be $30 or $40 and they'll eventually put even that on sale for like $10 with the DLC being $1 or $2 more. As someone with a huge backlog I don't mind waiting for the extreme sales and picking up complete editions then. If you're buying a game day one, you're already paying a huge premium.
or free like FFVII having an item if you bought a butter finger lmao. its just dumb ass marketing items. they do not give any advantage to the games. lol

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it more insulting now than all the cases before?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason you're singling out Sony on this matter OP?

Every major publisher does this and even Gamepass launch games have them for people who want to buy the games.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Easily ignorable, not sure what the issue is

I dont buy them, and I'm certainly not insulted by them

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Why would it be insulting? If I value the stuff in it, I'd buy it and if I don't, I don't.

They wouldn't exist if people weren't willingly buying them.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I don't get offended neither upset, but this is quite shitty indeed. I never buy cosmetics though, only content DLCs.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is a completely optional no issue. The insult is the 80€ price tag. Fuck that

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Yes, so insulted. 😂

They've been doing these digital deluxe editions on PS4 for a while now. I rarely buy them, and that will continue on PS5 unless it's some extra shit I truly want.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
No. I see these as a way to give more for the game, like supporting. Even tho, I just hope the items are in the game.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
This has been standard practice for ages. Here's a recent example:

Airplane-Flight-Simulator.jpg

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care for exclusive digital garbage like costumes, skins and weapons. Even pre-order stuff that I get for free I never use either.
They could even ask 50$ more for it I'd just shrug and shake my head.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
common practice by every publisher nowadays. don't care one bit.

also, why did the concern threads with playstation got this out of control?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They are doing it for years, and I'm ignoring it for years because they usually aren't worth it.

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't care but I really hope they are not locking armor and weapons behind a 20$ paywall for Demon Souls.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
insulting? no, shitty? yes

i mean they have incresed the games by £20 anyway then want to charge even more for this stuff. People will say they have always had it but now the default prices have went up to what these "deluxe" versions originally cost with no benefit to the consumer and they are keeping these to get even more money.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
If it doesn't give you an edge on Multiplayer, I think it doesn't matter that much. You can always not buy them.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I think they are usually way overpriced for what extras you get. But I don't feel I'm missing out by getting the regular version.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
or free like FFVII having an item if you bought a butter finger lmao. its just dumb ass marketing items. they do not give any advantage to the games. lol
Yeah I almost bought all those Butterfingers to get the Tifa theme, lol. Also I do like Butterfingers, so it wouldn't have been a complete waste of money. Wasn't willing to waste time in the candy aisle after Covid hit though, so I never did and then they released it for free anyway!

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just don't buy them? There's been some shit things recently that genuinely deserve criticism, but this is not one of them. It's totally optional and the extra content is not essential at all.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I have never bought a digital deluxe edition of any game and I'm not about to start. It's like the most ignorable problem in the world.

EDIT: I guess that's not wholly true, I've probably bought a digital deluxe edition on a sale at like $12 sometime and forgot about it. But never at launch lol.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Jesus, the whole "I have to have access to everything" mentality is just getting out of control lately. It's a glorified coat of paint...if it's worth $20 to you, go for it. If not, you don't have it...it's not the end of the world.

The ACTUAL end of the world may well be on our doorstep, so I've got bigger things to be worried/insulted about.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
I would find it insulting if that were my only option. But I can make the decision not to buy extra digital nonsense and I will make that decision easily.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
First parties aren't immune to the need for titles to be profitable and this is an easy and low cost way to add value for those who want it.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I can get behind the argument about poor value. But you always have the option to not buy the deluxe edition.

These things have been a staple in the industry for a whole gen. MS, EA, Acti are all no different.

Vote with your wallet and buy the standard versions. The more people do this, then either the companies will abandon the idea altogether or seek to increase the value proposition by adding more meaningful content into the deluxe/special editions for those that want that.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm presuming the OP is a Sony only gamer?

Tons of third parties also do Digital Deluxe editions.

Maybe? I just know everyone does it. Does that make it less bad/more bad/less good/more good? Who knows. But this is a thing that has happened all throughout the last gen for pretty much every single game I can recall, at least AAA+.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
i just dont get people being offended or upset over optional stuff. these digital deluxes across the industry have been for people who reallly like the games.

One of the easiest ways to get attention around here is to find the most mundane things "disgusting" and "gross", and a lot of people making these threads are just desperate for attention.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
It is insulting but they are doing this for years and continue to do so.

Also lol at the digital copies of games being the same price as the physical copy.