• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
(Apologies if this ends up being an indecipherable wall of text)

I remember getting this feeling after finishing the Mass Effect trilogy, knowing that it was unlikely that I would I'd come across the same characters again, at least not in the near future. It was probably in that series that I began to truly appreciate the work that it takes to build an engaging story with interesting characters.

At least part of the reason was when I played Mass Effect, it was during a pretty low moment in my life. In many ways connecting with that story so much saw me through to the other side.

When I get really immersed in a story I get totally attached to certain characters and their arcs, especially in RPGs where certain decisions may determine their outcome.

More recently I finished The Last of Us 2, the ending of which felt quite definitive, and as much as I adored that game, the more the credits rolled I felt pretty sad that it was all over.

Video games are hit or miss sometimes but when they hit the mark they can really stick with me more than a lot of media and art I have consumed.

I don't know what the reason is, but maybe it's the hours and hours of time and effort it can take to get through and the feeling that I had an impact on that world that was created.

People who make games continue to do some pretty incredible work with their storytelling and with a new generation upon us I can only imagine that will continue and I can't wait.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
I don't feel sad, but definitely feel something "empty" after I finish a huge game that took me lots of hours to finish. The last game that made that to me was Dragon Quest XI. I felt really attached to those characters and felt really empty after the end. It's the same thing that happens when I finish a great book.

Oct 28, 2017
For many forms of media, yes. I think books hit me the hardest.

My spouse and I have joked around for two decades now about having post-story ennui whenever something ends. (Based on a quote from Gilmore Girls.)

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
ethan-sykes-201047-unsplash.jpg

If a story's got me doing this after it's over then it was really fucking good

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Felt a bit bummed for days after finishing Grim Fandango for the first time.

And yes, even with the ending, Mass Effect 1- 3. It was such a big journey and many of the characters will be with me for as long as i live.

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
For sure. That why sometime, I almost stop playing for a while, because I don't want it to end.

Happened with the main story of Witcher 3 and Blood and Wine. Loved the characters so much, did not wanted to end the story! Kept doing side quest instead.

Also happened with DQXI and AC Odyssey recently.

Since I pretty sure I'll never play them again (too much backlog, not enough time) I know I won't see those character again. It's gone.

Also happen at the end of great movies trilogies like LotR. But at least I watch them again after that hah

Oct 28, 2017
Basically describing post anime depression.

And to answer your question, yes. The most recent examples, Death Stranding was such a journey that engaged me like most games don't. By the end I was so hooked, once credits rolled I felt a profound sadness and realisation "I can't experience this for the first time again".

I wrapped up Yakuza 2 a few weeks ago and every game's story felt so shallow afterwords. I went to Witcher 3 and grew frustrated how the cutscenes and story just felt like wasted words (no offense to fans of the game, just wasn't for me at that time).

Sometimes it's good to get a palate cleanser, I went as far as to play Mario Golf and Age of the Empires recently to get away.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Yup, this was/is me after any form of media I fell in love with. It even makes me want to take a small break from the medium sometimes. I am the type of person who even gets after holiday depression though so maybe its not like this for everyone.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Got it bad with TLOU. Then got it worse with Witcher 3, Then quite bad with God of War, Nothing else really

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah - and I also get this feeling when you've 'depleted' an open world / sandbox style game of content. When the world's still there, but you've played out all the storylines. I think this is also part reason why the ending of Witcher's DLC Blood & Wines was so brilliantly executed.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Had it tons of times but Witcher 3 and expansions gave me that the most, it's why I read all the books and comics after I beat it.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I'm still processing the ending of Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Hit me like a ton of bricks on multiple levels, and I just can't stop thinking about it.

But, more generally speaking, I do have this quite often. Luckily, there's many great stories out there, in so many shapes and forms!

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
Nier automata hit me really hard. Made me read up all the lore, listen to the plays, and watch the intreviews.

Oct 28, 2017
Ocarina of Time stuck with me for quite some time afterwards. That journey became a part of me. After work I would lug my N64 down to an unused classroom on the ship and just fall into that world for hours. When it was over there was a feeling of emptiness and content that shared the same space in my emotions.

Gnaget1891

Sep 21, 2020
Yeah it's very common. In swedish we have a word for that feeling, "vemod", which is the sad feeling of something great is over and will never come back.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Slice of life anime fucked. me. up. when I was younger.

Very depressed after finishing a good, believable story.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stories tend to wash over me a bit unless it's something particularly memorable like silent hill 2 or soma, which I kept thinking about days after I finished them...but I tend to appreciate characterisation more than story these days. And i do feel a bit sad after finishing certain developers games. Mostly because they're some of the only ones out there doing what they do to the standard that they do it and you know you're going to be waiting several years until you get to play something new from them. (rockstar and naughty dog in particular)

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yep, I feel the same way, especially when it's something like Uncharted which spread over multiple entries. The moment when we said goodbye to Nate and the crew was really emotional for me.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh dude, I was so devestated when I finished Shadowbringers 5.0 and was aware that the story for now is over.
I went back and watched the "End of an Era" CGI video and got even sadder (+ loas of goosebumps) because
oi got so attached to the whole cast and world.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Some sort of sadness or emptiness, sure.

No game made me feel this more than Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
Yup the story in Tlou2 was so captivating I needed something on a similar level, that also had top notch gameplay to play after but that game doesn't exist and any game that come close, I've most likely already played. It's been a month and I've only played Multiplayer games and Astrobot because of this.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
of course.

this happens with great tv shows and great games alike.

the most extreme case of this for me in terms of game was rdr 2, i pretty much couldnt play any other single player game for a month or so because i kept wanting it to be rdr 2. Tv show wise it was leftovers. What a magical ride.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
Games, books, and TV shows do this to me. Mediums that usually require a good amount of time investment into. Movies can do that if it's a trilogy like LoTR for me.

I don't know if it's always the story, but the journey in games really hits home when done well. I will never forget finishing OoT back in 98. That emptiness when visiting Zelda in the palace garden as kids, with the colors switching to black and white and the game ending. That melancholy feeling is unforgettable to this day.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Persona 4 Golden had that effect on me. It was my first game that had a slice of life element to it, and the by the time I was done, no game was hitting that sweet spot it managed to.

Shame that Persona 5R didn't grab me like 4G did.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I don't feel sad, but definitely feel something "empty" after I finish a huge game that took me lots of hours to finish. The last game that made that to me was Dragon Quest XI. I felt really attached to those characters and felt really empty after the end. It's the same thing that happens when I finish a great book.
This is how I feel, too. When I finish a big game like that, I find myself jumping from game to game, unable to focus, until that feeling goes away.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
For a bit maybe but I don't brood on it for days afterwards like a lot of people seem to

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Slice of life anime fucked. me. up. when I was younger.

Very depressed after finishing a good, believable story.
YES. Sometimes I was in a bad mood for days because I finished an anime so good I didn't want it to end.

Last time I got this with a game was FF7 Remake. The post-game blues lasted me a good month.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
As a kid I felt like that, I hated when a good movie ended because I wanted to stay in that world for more. I wanted cartoons to go on forever, same for comics, same for games.

As an adult, I don't feel like that anymore. When a piece of media reaches the end and nails the ending, I feel happy. It's satisfying and adds value to the whole story. I'm also a guy who rarely finishes games/TV series/mangas/etc. so just getting to the end is special for me.

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
Definitely feeling that with God of War, I just went round and did all the valkyries, all I have left is a few spirits and the absolute grind that is nilfheim

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Usually I feel really good while watching the entire credits, and feeling a little empty afterwards if it was really an outstanding story and characters. Then if I start another game immediately it feels kind of dissonant, so I usually stop playing for the day. Mostly the same with great books and films and series. The Last Guardian, TLOU1/2, Horizon, Journey, any Zelda, any Fire Emblem, were a really big deal. Also Uncharted 4, but none of the other 3. And not so much with games that are more focused on gameplay than story.

What sucks the most is thinking how many years we will have to wait for a sequel, if there's one.

Alecs27

Banned
Dec 23, 2017
Definitely feeling that with God of War, I just went round and did all the valkyries, all I have left is a few spirits and the absolute grind that is nilfheim
I love how the ending is not really an ending in Gow and you can literally continue to experience that world and characters like they're still alive and doing stuff with their life as you play with them. It's a childish thing but I really love when game do this (when it is narrative possible of course). Same with Spiderman PS4 and Red dead 2. It's liberating.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
don't be sad it's over, smile because it happened.

Seriously though, this feeling is usually the mark of a phenomenal game for me. It shows that I truly cared for the game, its story and its characters. That is an accomplishment in itself and is one of the main reasons why I play video games.