• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
I only use Switch as a handheld now but back when I did use it on the tv as well I did use it yeah. It was mandatory to use it if you wanted to use button controls on Arms.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I like using the grip. It's very cleverly designed and all the shortcomings are due to the joycons being crap. I do wish I could do split control but they're far too small to hold comfortably. The sweet spot for me was Wiimote/Joycon.

CrazyIvan

Oct 26, 2017
Vermont
I definitely prefer it over using the joycons on their own. It's been my main controller for the Switch since I bought it. I wouldn't call it comfortable and it's light years away from the quality of my DualSense, but it's at least tolerable. One of these days, I might buy a pro controller but the Switch is my secondary console so I haven't felt like dropping the money one one yet. So until then, the grip it is.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything about the joycons in general is bad. I think they're Nintendo's worst controller by a considerable margin.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Before I got my pro controller I used this thing to play through the entirety of BOTW and it was fine. After I got a pro controller though there was no reason to use it again.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I use it for rhythm games. It does the job, and is comfortable enough. So yeah, I like it in a way.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like it well enough. I use it whenever I play my Switch docked (which is fairly rare).

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I used for the first year without any issue. I actually liked it a lot. Now, I mostly use the pro, but have no issue going back to the grip when sharing controller.

What funny is when first playing MH GU, I was actually better with it than with the Pro, because I was used to the 3DS small buttons.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind it but I rarely played my Switch on the TV until recently since I got a TV during the pandemic.

I'd rather use it detached but the connection quality gets spotty if if I grip my hands around the joycons

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I don't think I've ever attached my Joycons to it. Ideally I play with my Pro controller on my couch, and sometimes in bed with the Joycon attached until my hands turn numb.

CorĂ­u

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies
Been using it for 4 years, I've never felt the need to buy a Pro and I'm even tempted to say it's more comfortable in my hands than the DualShock 4.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Joy-cons are the worst controllers I've owned in my life by a very significant margin. Thankfully the Switch Pro Controller is amazing.

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
yeah I think it's neat, but my hands are small

I'm all over the map between Pro Controller, loose Joy-Con, Joy-Con grip, and handheld

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it because the crap-cons are too loose when they are mounted. Feels flimsy and cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the charging one for cheap and don't mind it? I'd rather use the pro controller but for travel it works fine.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First thing I did when I got my hands on my Switch was to buy a pro controller, and then I bought a 3rd party controller because the d-pad on the pro controller is garbage.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
It's actually not bad and I know plenty of people who aren't invested enough in gaming to get a Pro Controller but use the grip. I've enjoyed it for what I've used it for (mainly tabletop mode while away on holidays and trying to avoid being the pro controller for the extra space and weight it takes up. The biggest problem with using it isn't actually the grip itself, it's actually great. It's the joycons themselves having fairly rubbish analogue sticks and Dpad, though I guess that issue also applies to playing in handheld.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I bought a Pro Controller at launch but I don't mind using the JoyCon grip at all, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
No, it's really uncomfortable and cramped. A few more centimeters of spacing between the left and right joycon would make it significantly more pleasant to use.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
No it's horrendous. I'd rather just use the joycons on their own. I actually have no clue where that grip actually is. I probably threw it out.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I like it. I prefer the Pro Controller but I'd probably still be using the grip with no issues if my joycon didn't start to drift.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
My wife loves it for Tetris 99 on a TV. So do I due the directional buttons being my preferred way to play games like that. Otherwise, I play most Switch games handheld w/ either Hori splits or Joy-cons w/ Satisfye grip.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I used it and loved the grip, but since both sets of my joycons got fucked up with drift I can't mess with it at all.

I have a Magic-NS I've got a PS4 controller paired to now...maybe I'd get a Pro Controller (or a good alternative) if I can find one. Is there even a good alternative to the Pro Controller or joycons that don't lag/don't get destroyed by drift?

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
It's fine for some games, and although I love having separated controllers a la Wii remote/nunchuk, the JoyCons are just too small to be held like this for a long period of time, so I prefer using the grip. Maybe I should get that battery pack that makes them chunkier...hmm.

Pro Controller >>> Grip > Separate JoyCons >> Handheld mode

Ryan_09

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Fort Wayne, IN, USA
I like it, but I also really like the feel of the Joycons and sticks (drift issues aside). They feel more tactile and appropriate for certain games, and for others I prefer the pro controller.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hate it as much as some, and I can use it in a pinch but I do prefer my 2017 pro controller which is still trucking along

ChillyBilly

Oct 27, 2017
My wife prefers it over the Pro Controller so that's what she uses when she's playing on the TV. I could go either way personally.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't used a normal Joycon in quite a while, I avoid them as much as possible. Hori Split Pad Pro in portable mode, Pro Controller for docked. Even when I did still use Joycons, it was never in the grip.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
All the faults of the Joy-Con Grip are the fault of the Joy-Cons. The Grip is blameless.

Compared to the Pro Controller, being able to have my thumb pad over all face buttons while still steering the right analogue stick comes in handy for certain games, first and foremost Splatoon.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I don't dislike it as much as others, but I'd never choose to use it.

For anybody who really doesn't like it. And wants a cheap way to get a decent wireless controller 8bitdo sells a $20 adapter that lets you sync a DS4, Xbox One controller, or Wii U Pro controller to the Switch. It's a great little way to repurpose controllers you already own instead of spending a ton of money on a ton of plastic lol