• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LS/RS clickies?

• Yea

• Nay

• LS-only

• RS-only

• Meh...?

Results are only viewable after voting.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
The Dualsense specifically improves on the stick click function and it seems like that should be more reliable.

Last edited:

Indyana

Oct 27, 2017
scufgaming.com

SCUF Patents | Controller Patent Innovations

Customize your SCUF® controller & game like the elite on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, PC & legacy consoles. Take your gaming to another level with SCUF® controllers!
How could they patent back buttons with this gamepad existing before them?
thrust.jpg

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Modern games very very rarely ask you to hold down L3 to run. It's almost always just a click to initiate it. Zombi is one of the few I can remember requiring it to be held down. I can't think of any other examples and it's possible that OP just thinks that they need to hold it down?

Gears is used as an example in OP but you run with A in that game.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
I don't like to use them but they are used for minor things anyway. To run, I don't remember any game that requires you to keep holding them, its just one click then you push the stick in any direction.

I guess being clickable is one reason for them to get defective over time.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I hate them with a passion. They make some games incredibly hard to play for me because of my disability. Would rather have two more buttons.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
They're perfectly fine.

Back paddles are great but as an addition. Not a replacement.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I use them but utterly dislike them, they should just all have an extra set of buttons, back buttons or soemthing.

Surely it contributes to weaker analogue sticks having them violently jabbed?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
When Ape Escape first came out on PS1, I have to admit that it took e a few days to understand what the game was asking when it said 'click L3'. I had no idea what L3 was, I didn't realise you could click down the analog sticks and that it would register as a button.

I was the same for Ape Escape and thought I needed a new controller with more buttons. I really had no idea you could press them down like that and thought doing so might break the sticks, it isn't really intuitive at all but I guess you get used to it.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So much that I dedicate at least one of my paddles on my Elite controller to R3 or L3 depending on the game, so I never have to actually click the sticks

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
As long as you don't have to hold down the things, I don't care, though I'd personally shy away from L3 ever being a usable thing while the player was moving were I designing a game. If a control scheme is clever, it can tie R3 in particular into things the player is commonly using the right stick for anyway, such as a zoom level, making it feel more natural than anything else available.
The Dualsense specifically improves on the stick click function and it seems like that should be more reliable.

I was going to mention this. The difference is dramatic if you hold the old and new models back to back.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
i don't mind it when controllers feels reliable like the dualsense, but on joy-cons i'm def paranoid of clicking the sticks cause they are way too hard, same on a lesser degree on the switch pro controller.

blame Scuf for patent hostage the back paddles.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
This is one of those things I see people complain about a lot and I never ever could comprehend why it's a problem to people. Even for sprinting, never ever had a problem with it whatsoever. In fact, I remapped jump to l3 instead of double tap dodge in souls games in ones it's possible, cuz I legit prefer that over double tap that I always mess up

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Fun developer fact: the PS2 actually could register two levels of L3/R3 click. A gentle press, and a full click. I don't know whether any of that remains in the Playstation SDK.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
The analogue click has been around since, what, the Dreamcast? Having tried the Elite & back button attachments for the previous generation I think I'd rather keep L3/R3 as they are.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Functionally. They're fine. But they are the main cause for analogue drift. Play call of duty for any length of time and you have a way higher chance of having a drifting left stick...where possible I map it to a back paddle/button.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
I hate having to used them on any game, the only time it ever feel "right" to use was GoW when killing Poseidon because it is that awkward to press everytime but that time it had a purpose. I always think I'm is going to eventually brake my stick, it actually happened back on ps1 on one of my controllers.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really mind if it's for minor use and not during action.
The worst is to click a stick to run. Why do I have to click an ANALOG STICK to run?
That's what the stick is for!

Sep 23, 2018
I don't mind having to click R3 for a command / action that isn't required all the time.
But I loathe having to click in the left stick to run. It's especially annoying for games like Remake 2 and 3 which are currently hampered by my left DS4 stick not always registering the up /forward tilt of the stick. I don't know if that's what people would refer to as drift but it sure makes the clicking of L3 to run much more of an annoyance.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No issue unless they want fast use during moments of gameplay.

Or if a dev thinks the right stick is a mouse with click as R3.

Toggle Crouch while moving, Zoom, all fine uses of it. hold to sprint or crouch sucks

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
They work just fine unless a bad dev does something dumb with them but that's hardly the fault of the hardware. Glad to have two more buttons.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only if it is click and hold down to run. Fuck those games. If I can't remap the buttons I would legit quit a game over it.

I have no issue at all with click once and run. In fact, I prefer that over holding down another button like L1 or X.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
No issues with them as long as I don't have to press and hold for for anything. Looking at you Warframe alt fire. Thank goodness for remapping.

I've never really understood the pain of just clicking though.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
They're convenient in a sense, bit have always felt awkward to me. Back paddles would be awesome. Also, replace the right stick with a trackpad. Basically, look to the Steam Controller for some inspiration. That thing rocks (mostly).

Blame shooters, especially CoD.
L3 is the sprint button, R3 zooms in on certain rifle scopes. Ever since CoD4 every shooter I played used that assignment.

Works perfectly. No idea why people bring up paddles? In some genres they might help but in a shooter? lol
The L3 sprint allows you to run without taking you indexfingers off the aim/shoot (lethal/tactical ordnance) triggers.

Yeah it sucks that playing FPS gamers often causes stickdrift, but I blame it on the cheap parts that are being used.

You realize that the back paddles would be for your other fingers, right? Not the index fingers.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I mostly just hate sprinting being tied to L3. It just doesn't feel good. Pretty much any other use of L3 & R3 is fine.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
I don't know when I've last played a game that required me to hold either L3/R3 by default, but I'm pretty sure it was in the earlier stages of the PS360 generation. This was criminally uncomfortable and deserve to stay in the past, but I've never had any trouble just clicking on them, whatever the direction they're in.

As a toggle or a rare action button (ie jump in Dark Souls 2), it works perfectly fine. It may be a greater accessibility hurdle than more traditional buttons though, I don't know about that.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
might be ok for a simple click, absolutely atrocious for sprinting, wonder about the first person that came up with it and thought that was smart

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
they destroy the analog's spring overtime, and they are not confortable at all to use, on fps games they mess up with you aim. This is the first think i set to the paddles on my elite controler.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
The analogue click has been around since, what, the Dreamcast? Having tried the Elite & back button attachments for the previous generation I think I'd rather keep L3/R3 as they are.

Dreamcast didn't have analogue click.

EDIT: I think the first controller to have it was the DualShock, as the Dual Analog controller released a few months before did not have L3 or R3.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Having sprint (click once) on L3 and melee on R3 has worked really well in Destiny. Always prefer sprint on the left stick now and there's something satisfying about pushing a part of my right hand down and seeing my characters right hand thrust out to melee.

If you're using them in a scheme that requires you click them down and manoeuvre them while held down - no thanks.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I like it, but it quickly goes to shit the minute the game, for whatever reason, decides you knew to hold the button and steer the stick.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't really like using L3 to run. I always enjoy it when I play a game and the default control scheme maps run to a different button -- glorious!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
I was just thinking about how stupidly inconvenient it is to do a slide in SW Squadrons by holding down the R3 while simultaneously using it to control the direction of the flight / slide. It borderline unusable.

These clicks are fine for some rarely needed interaction like going into photo mode and such but any game which is trying to use them for some gameplay mechanic which is needed to work in conjunction with actually moving the sticks is doing it wrong.