• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Milennia

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I never joined any gaming related groups in college, maybe I should find the time.
All of my closest IRL friends are from middle school and we met from talking about games.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Never made many close friends in college, had some acquaintances, my core group of friends is still from Jr High / High School and some other folks from along the way.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Not really. I have a fantasy football league with some members of a club I was in. Mostly just work, eat and sleep (and game)

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
For sure keep in touch with most. My four closest friends constantly get together online to play DnD, video games, etc.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I barely talk to my college friends lol I don't have an issue hitting them up, but I also did Computer Science and am not into gaming and anime as much as the circle of friends I made so it made sense we stopped talking as I had other interests.

My wife did nursing and has one friend from college, coincidentally it wasn't someone in nursing, but she did mention everyone in her nursing program just made small cliques like you mentioned, which made it hard to approach.

Most of our friends are from work/highschool/childhood

machine

Oct 25, 2017
I still keep in touch with a lot of my fraternity brothers over 30 years later. Outside of that, I only keep in touch with one or two people from college. Haters always say joining a fraternity is just "buying" friends but if that's the case, its one of the best purchases I ever made.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
I wound up getting work in my college town a few years after finishing undergrad, as did many of my friends there, so many of us are still good friends.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Join some extracurricular groups, meet people. I still keep in touch with a ton of college people almost 20 years later but most of them arent people i had class with

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
From classes? Nah.
Met outside of formal classes? Yuppers. Pretty much weekly correspondence with a few 7 years later.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I never joined any gaming related groups in college, maybe I should find the time.
All of my closest IRL friends are from middle school and we met from talking about games.
I recommend it. When we moved to Chicago I made lots of friends through work since I had similar aged colleagues, but that wasn't the case here in Texas and I ended up making a lot of good friends in Austin through the supporters club for Man City. Close friendships are often formed via shared interests, so this is a natural gateway to it as you've seen with your friends from middle school.

I find that friends you make in class while in college were often transactional.. hey can I borrow the notes, do you want to group up on this project, etc. Obviously that isn't always the case, but I fell out of touch with most of those people. They're more like wish them a HBD once a year on Facebook and that's it.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
I've kept in touch with exactly one person. He's a guy I met at my first retail job. We later worked together at a healthcare clinic. We are now at two different buildings in the same company so we email maybe twice a week.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Some of my closest friends are those I made in college in America and Japan. I talk to several of them on through voice calls a few times a month and text them even more. I talked to one last night for an hour and a half and woke up to messages from him. One of my other closest friends I frequently have long calls with (once or twice a week), and she and I were talking for almost four hours several nights ago. I send them birthday/christmas gifts and play video games with a few more.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Not in undergrad. Most of us were from different states and scattered to the winds.

My grad school group is my primary socialization group as well as my career network group.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
I'm 47 and the majority of my friends are friends I made in college. I actually wonder sometimes why I have so few new ones lol

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
I play videogames everyday with my college friends (we graduated 2-3 years ago), that is still my biggest friend group. we are around 10-12 and we usually go to pubs together or BBQs.
I also still talk with my best (female) friend from high school like 3-4 days per week and we used to drink every time we could.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
No, but I ran into someone was like "Do you keep in touch with anyone from high school?" and he listed like 10 guys and I was like "Uhh, no".

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I made a few of my best life-long friends in university, but I also had plenty of people I was friendly with for a semester or two when we were in the same classes that I lost touch with after. I generally stayed friends with people I actually had a strong connection with, and the rest were just circumstantial.

Loreth_94

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I met one of my best friends in College. Aside from that there's only one other person I met there I chat with every month or so briefly.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I had a tight-knit group of about 7. Still keep in touch with 2 of those, the two that were my roommates.

Jul 16, 2020
Several of my best friends are from college, others from grad school, and others from my career. All my childhood or high school friends have fallen away, though.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Me, no, but that's because I was a commuter. I showed up to class, did my work, studied/homework, and left. I had so much going on during that time of my life that I didn't have time to get to know anyone.

A friend if mine tried to keep up with a few people, but I'd say it seemed like they ghosted him after a couple years. He was also a commuter, but lived and worked close to campus. Most of his wife's friends are from college that she still speaks to, sees once in a while, and is invited to weddings years later. She lived on campus and was in various clubs.

Last edited:

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Yes. Those folks are pretty much the last adult friends ive made and pretty much who i hang out with.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
My two best friends are from college. But I only attended that school for a year. I don't keep in contact with anyone I had classes with at my transfer school, which was for about three years. By then I already had a good friend group and it was a commuter school, so just different social environment. And my major didn't really have a "cohort" or any sort of activities to bring us together as a class.

We'll see what happens with the friends I've made in graduate school. Definitely feel closer to them than the people I knew in undergrad. But it's much more cohort based.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the very opposite OP. I don't talk to ANYONE from Middle School and High School.

I have a few core friends from College, and more from post-College life.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. My closest friends are either friends I met while living abroad or friends I've known since elementary/middle school. I can't remember the last time I've talked to someone I went to college with, it's been years.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Still keep in touch daily with six guys I went to college with, though I met a few of them before college. I see three of them regularly and the others a few times a year. That was part of a larger friend group I don't keep up with much anymore. Some people just drifted with time, some dated other people in the circle and faded out after breaking up etc. I still see some of them on occasion, maybe around town if they live here or around the holidays, but the ones I keep in touch with have been my closest friends for 15 years now.

It's my closest high school friends that I don't keep in touch with at all. Last time I saw one of them was 2-3 years ago at a restaurant one of them opened and it was fun to catch up, but for all the others it's been more than a decade since I spoke with them.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I met my wife in college but other than her and a friend I have known since elementary school, I don't associate with anyone I went to college or university with.

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Yep, used to invite them to my house every week before COVID.

I knew our friendship would deteriorate if we didn't have a place to get together, so I invited them to my house and tried my best to have a welcoming, fun environment.

Not everyone wanted to stay and I was more than happy to know that this weekly gathering weeded out the ''friends'' who were only with us because they didn't have anyone else.

As time goes by, your friends who are enjoying this little rendezvous will ask if they could bring their best friends as well, so it even things out I guess.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I met my wife in college, but we didn't start dating until after graduation. One of my best friends was my sophomore year roommate, and my wife and I are his kid's godparents. We're very close with a lot of my wife's college housemates to this day.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I seem to stay good friends with a few from each stage in life (primary, secondary schools, uni and work) even though we might not live on the same city, country or even continent anymore. From university, it's all friends from an interest group though, people I have made short films with.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
For the first 3-5 years a lot, and for the next 5 years pretty regularly. Close to 20 years after, I see the gang once a year if I'm lucky (not everyone shows up). Covid kinda screwed up Summer 2020 happy hour possibilities.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I don't care about anyone from high school anymore but my good college friends I hope to keep in touch with for life.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Of course.

20+ years after still my best friends are the ones I made in my college years, although I also have some made during middle school and after college as well.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I still sporadically keep in touch with 2 people from uni. Been almost two decades. We're all lazy about keeping in touch but one of them is better at it then me and always organises things

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just two, my partner of 8 years who I met in college way back when, and one of my best friends, who I also met in the same program.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
nah. I don't think I talk to anyone I met in college although I didn't really meet many people in college. All of my close friends are people I met in high school (or earlier) or post-college.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Some of my close friends, yeah. But I just have so much of my own shit going on that it's hard to keep up since most of my friends live in separate cities/areas of the country from me.

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Absolutely. 6 of my 7 best friends are from college and the last is from high school who hung out with all of my college crew all the time. Howard University. Street Fighter. Samurai Showdown. School of Communication film/art. Brothers for life 30 years later. No Fraternity. Just nerds.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I never hung out with any I made in class. Aside from social media. I did get invited to a couple parties, but I couldn't make them.

Most friends were made outside of class.