• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Does anybody really like turkey?

• No

Votes: 66 15.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 336 77.6%
  • Just the stuffing for me

Votes: 31 7.2%

• Total voters

Atlas_XIX

Oct 29, 2017
I love turkey, after Thanksgiving me and my father take some sandwich spread and relish and mix it together with the leftovers and have our sandwich meat for a few days.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't until I made my own. I remember turkey as a kid being dry and bland like the OP describes. Now I smoke a turkey and roast one every year for Thanksgiving and I really like it. Brine it and don't overcook it, it's pretty hard to fuck up honestly.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Love the taste, hate the texture. Too damn dry.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
A juicy, succulent turkey is divine, but so many people overcook it. The best ones I've had had been deep-fried or smoked.

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey is fine if prepared well but there's a whole slew of other meats I prefer. Far too lean for my liking. However, I'll tear the shit out of some turkey wings.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Turkey skin is dope and dark meat is OK.

I dunno how people eat that white meat crap though. There's a reason gravy is shoveled on I guess.

I've been pushing my family to switch birds to no avail. Duck or Cornish game hen would be better but NOOOOO have to stick to turkey. It's not like it's a cost thing- my family is small.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
"why do people eat turkey when there's duck or goose available?" lol we get it, you're rich

Turkey is like half the price of duck where i live and its leaner meat, there's also a lot of white meat which works better in certain dishes. Especially something comforting and convenient to feed a big group, say at christmas or thanksgiving. You can make leftover turkey sandwiches with stuffing, rocket and mayonnaise. Or turkey soup with rosemary and sweetcorn. I'd rather have duck as a fillet with a sweet sauce.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
If your turkey is dry and bland, you over-cooked it. I don't get involved in the cooking of our turkey, my girlfriend banned me after the great turkey disaster of 2016, but I know she brines it and then slow cooks it. And by the end it's juicy and fucking delicious, couldn't be any less bland. Especially the leg meat.

Also, leftover turkey sandwiches with some stuffing and pease pudding is a thing of legend. Christmas tradition to be eating those for a few days afterward.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
fried turkey is best. with fried mashed potato balls with its own gravy inside.

"why do people eat turkey when there's duck or goose available?" lol we get it, you're rich

Turkey is like half the price of duck where i live and its leaner meat, there's also a lot of white meat which works better in certain dishes. Especially something comforting and convenient to feed a big group, say at christmas or thanksgiving. You can make leftover turkey sandwiches with stuffing, rocket and mayonnaise. Or turkey soup with rosemary and sweetcorn. I'd rather have duck as a fillet with a sweet sauce.

since we live near an asian market we get duck almost every sunday. along with spit roasted pig.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Brine it for 2 days with salt, bay leaves, orange peel, hint of maple syrup, brown sugar, thyme, sage. When cooking baste it juices and second half of cook with butter, molasses and thyme to brown it up. I've never had a dry turkey this way.

So many people are terrible at cooking it, either not brining it at all, removing it late or not accounting for resting to bring it up to temperature.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Prepared properly it's great..

Dry turkey sucks.. just like well done steak

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Well prepared turkey is great. Seems to be uncommon though.

Last edited:

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

OP was Rusty growing up.
Scrolled through the thread to make sure this post was made. Thank you.

Oct 27, 2017
I use ground turkey (mince for you foreign devils) instead of ground beef in everything from spaghetti sauce to chili. I don't think I'll ever switch back.

Oct 27, 2017
Growing up I thought I didn't because my grandmas holiday turkey was like you said dry and bland. But then I found out turkey can be as good as chicken if cooked properly. Also turkey bacon is great.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I love turkey, once it is cut off the bird. I only eat turkey and chicken
Turkey is the driest, blandest, tasteless, edible bird in the whole world. Even chicken is better.

America really had bad luck with the this whole bird-related Thanksgiving holiday. Goose, duck and pheasant are much much tastier birds.

I suspect people only put a little turkey on their plate because they feel obliged. The stuffing and all the sides are where the real action is.

Does anybody in America even really like turkey or are you all just pretending?

If you make the skin crispy, I guess I will have a piece of that.
I don't eat Goose, duck or pheasant and never will. I do eat and like the white meat of the turkey, no skin. Also, my parents always buy a huge 20+ pound turkey so that she can give me and my brother meat to take home and they still have more left over for them too.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I like thin Turkey in a sandwich with toppings but other than that, it's pretty dull.

As for people saying dry or not, even when it's not dry the juices aren't on the same level as chicken and others. Yes, there is stuffing, godly, seasoning but ultimately it is a pretty tame meat and it's the trimmings that make the meal, not the turkey.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
The people that host the Thanksgivings that I attend are pretty good at making turkey, so I love it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
If it's smoked and tender absolutely, it's delicious that way. Dry turkey however is the sand of poultry, just no thanks.

Typically prefer a honey glazed ham anyhow for holiday meals.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I say this respectuflly, learn to cook turkey. You can make Chicken and even Duck taste dry and bland. It's because you did it wrong.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Learn how to cook better OP, if you think Turkey is dry, you're having over cooked Turkey...

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is the year I'm going to rig my bath tub up with a couple of Anovas and finally sous vide a turkey.

I'm tired of dry thanksgiving meals.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I love turkey. Much better to me than chicken. I look forward all year to the time of year when turkey is everywhere.

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I can tolerate it, but over the years, I just don't care to eat it anymore. Would rather have chicken or anything else really.

MPrice

Alt account
Banned
Oct 18, 2019
Turkey is not as good as duck or chicken but if its dry or "tasteless" then you just can't cook, OP.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
I like it but it definitely needs to be brined or just cooked perfectly. A good turkey can be awesome though.