• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've found I like to kind of stay out of the day-to-day gaming zeitgeist (sorry, LOL), while staying up to date, but generally like to sort of float to a series and then grind it into dust. Recently, I've done this with:

- Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy, Origins, Odyssey
- Kingdom Hearts: All of it, pretty much
- Resident Evil: Remake, 2 Remake, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Call of Duty: MW 1 & 2 Remasters, WWII, Cold War
- Final Fantasy: VII, VII Remake (just started), and bought FFIX and FFX

I feel like I get this deep dive into a series, but it takes SO long to really move on to something else. Blessing/curse.

Anyone else do this, and if so, with which series?

Oct 31, 2017
I just did this with Sekiro, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2, and Dark Souls 3, so yeah

If you told me that I'd do this 2 months ago I'd tell you you need to lay off the crack

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Did that with Dishonored. Replayed Dishonored GotY, then Dishonored 2, then Death of the Outsider.

It DOES get repetitive if the gameplay is barely different but still fun. I will be replaying those games anyway so whatever.

Edit: Yeah, also did that with Uncharted 1-3 and Halo Reach-3

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
I usually do that yea. I don't like playing games out of order/starting with a later entry.

Played all Halos last year, and did Resident Evil 1/2/3/4 so far. But it's how I usually prefer to play yea.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I had played Persona 3 and Persona 5 before, and started P4G, but when P4G released on Steam last year, I played it all the way through. After finishing it, I immediately started Persona 1 (PSP version), followed by Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and then Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. I just finished Eternal Punishment two days ago.

I think every game in the series, including Persona 1, is very high quality. I did long form LttP threads for P4G, Persona 1, and Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and I am working on the Eternal Punishment one now.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Normally I don't but in the last few weeks I've replayed RE 4, 5, 7 and I just started a replay on 6 and plan to do a replay on Revelations 1 and 2.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only done it with the Arkham series.

I have the main KH game collection as well though, I'll eventually get around to playing them all, but I doubt I'll binge them

Ladomania

Banned
Nov 8, 2020
I was doing that with the megaten games. I played through megami tensei, SMT1, and SMT2. I was gonna go straight to 3 but 3 HD was announced the day after I beat 2 lmao. So instead I just played Raidou 1 and 2.

Randomless

Oct 25, 2017
I do this occasionally. Sometimes one game is not enough for me to get my fill of a series for the time being. I find series that switch things up significantly for each entry are easier to do this in, like Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem and MGS.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the series. I used to do Metal Gear Solid like this, before MGSV killed my interest in ever going back.

I did a Metro (2033, Last Light, Exodus) binge last month. That shit was good.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Played God of War 1-3 in a week, finished the day before GOW PS4 came out.

Nice to know the specifics of what went on, but in retrospect I should have just watched 1 and 2 (they aged badly) and played 3 (still fun).

Jan 11, 2018
Used to, but I find it burns me out too much these days. Like that series replay of Resident Evil thread? That just sounds exhausting.

Mar 2, 2019
I do them occasionally, usually sparked by excitement for an upcoming release in the series. I'm currently doing a God of War one, though I don't think I like the gameplay of the original hack and slash games enough to make it through the series one after another. I've done the original, Chains of Olympus, and I'm now on 2 but I feel my interest fading.

I also started a Ratchet and Clank one last year and made it through the first 3 games without issue. Was preparing to move onto the PS3 games before I decided to detour and play Deadlocked for the first time. Disliked it so much it ended my run. I do intend to go back and finish the PS3 games before Rift Apart though.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
If I find a series I really like I'll play through most of it over time! Not back to back tho bc that's a good way to get burnout, usually over like 2 years or so.

I played most FE from 2013-2016 (started with 13, then played 8, 12, 7, 6, 9, 14) and have kept up with it since.

I played most FF starting in 2017 and still have to still play 13. But I've done 4-10, 12, 15 (played 3 as a kid) as well as tactics and tactics advance, crisis core, and Remake.

it's fun to have series to explore but I don't wanna burnout!

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, just went through Ace Combat 3 (fan translated JP original) > Ace Combat 5 > Ace Combat Zero > Ace Combat 7 > Air Combat > Ace Combat 2

Before that I went through Ape Escape 1, 2 and 3.

Astral

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Been doing a Souls one since Demon's Souls. It gets kind of exhausting though so I've taken breaks. I kinda did a Final Fantasy one when the FFVII remake came out. Played FFVII, Remake, VIII, and XII. That one was more doable because the gameplay is almost totally different with each entry.

Aia

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am actually doing this right now, lol.

Started with Bloodborne > Dark Souls R > DSIII then probably Sekiro.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I do this but usually with breaks in between. I'll cover an entire series over a year or 18 months. Only shorter action games though, not hundred hour RPGs.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
In mid to late 2019 I binged through the Gears of War games before Gears 5 came out, but otherwise I don't really think I have binged through a whole series before tbh. Maybe Halo when I first got Halo 2 back in 2014? I don't remember though to be honest

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
No although I did binge FF7/FF7R in a row like you listed there. I usually need games to break things up. Like I'm making it through the Dragon Quest and Yakuza games I never played and replaying the entire Halo series right now but breaking both of those up with other games.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I've tried but I've always given up through half way through.

So most of the time I end up playing only like the first 2 to 4 games over and over lol

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
I did this with From Software games, Spider-Man and Miles Morales and I'm planning to do the same with Resident Evil and Devil May Cry.

Dec 25, 2018
usually in the run up to a new entry, will likely do a binge of the main Halo Campaigns again before Infinite (when a release is announced).

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Yep, happens regularely. I'm currently playing through the Uncharted trilogy.
I binged most of Resident Evil last year. I also binged through a lot of the Yakuza games in s row

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I used to do this sometimes, but I haven't done it in years. I did MGS 1-Peace Walker (minus 3, because I had already beaten it) a few years ago. I tried to do Yakuza years back, but I ended up just beating 1 and 2 HD on PS3 (before Kiwami was out) before getting distracted...

I'd like to get back to it for Utawarerumono, The Legend of Heroes: Trails (holy fuck that'll be a big project that'd have to be on the sideline), Fatal Frame, Dishonored, the rest of the Ace Attorney games I haven't beaten (4-6, Investigations 1-2, Daigyakuten Saiban 1-2, and Wright x Layton), and get back to Yakuza. I might even do an idolmaster binge with One For All, Stella Stage, and Starlit Season lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Unless the games are shorter and drastically different I don't think I can really do this. After spending significant time with a game I usually come away feeling like I need to play something different.

A good entry in a series does inspire me to visit (or even revisit) other entries though, but I can't really binge it, so it's more spread out. I finished Demon's Souls, felt inspired to try and play more Souls but played through The Pathless and 100 hours of AC Valhalla before jumping into Dark Souls Remastered, for example.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Sure do, only when it's something I really liked though. Dragon Quest did it for me in 2018 when I discovered it after all these years, same with Fire Emblem in 2015, and this year I discovered the Yakuza series and I've thus far finished 0, Kiwami and I'm now 40 hours into Like a Dragon. Going to play all the others when they get on Game Pass too.

JMY86

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yes. I am currently in the process of playing Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age II and Dragon Age: Inquisition plus all DLC for all three games.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I am thinking of doing an RE0, 1, 2R, 3R, 4, 5, 6, and 7 playthough.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
I have sometimes. I played through all of the Metal Gear Solid games back to back when the PS3 legacy collection came out. I don't usually do stuff like that though. For the majority of times I have I get burned out on a series pretty quick and have to put it down at some point and return to it later. Otherwise I get bored and it starts to feel like a chore and just want to move on and play different games.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
I always binge the whole series when I revisit something I haven't played for years. Most recently it was Uncharted, Ratchet, Sly Cooper, and TLOU when the second came out. Ratchet is by far the longest as it's like 7 games: the three PS2 games remastered, ToD, ACiT, Nexus, and the PS4 reboot. (skipping the oddball spinoff titles)

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
depending on how many games are in the series I might play 3 to 4 before taking a break and picking up something else for a while just to keep things fresh. I really don't recommend trying to binge the yakuza games tho

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I love the idea in theory but just cannot binge video games. I try every so often and it just never works out. Jumping all over the place in best for me!

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I don't make it a habit, but I'll definitely be binging Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4, and Yakuza 5 for PC once the ports release on the 28th.

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
That's a one way ticket to burnout city. I like to freshen it up with different types of games. Recently went from Desperados 3 to Miles Morales to Tell Me Why.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
I've found I like to kind of stay out of the day-to-day gaming zeitgeist (sorry, LOL), while staying up to date, but generally like to sort of float to a series and then grind it into dust. Recently, I've done this with:

- Assassin's Creed: Ezio Trilogy, Origins, Odyssey
- Kingdom Hearts: All of it, pretty much
- Resident Evil: Remake, 2 Remake, 4, 5, 6, 7
- Call of Duty: MW 1 & 2 Remasters, WWII, Cold War
- Final Fantasy: VII, VII Remake (just started), and bought FFIX and FFX

I feel like I get this deep dive into a series, but it takes SO long to really move on to something else. Blessing/curse.

Anyone else do this, and if so, with which series?
How was the resident Evil run? I'm tempted to do this myself before I play the village. I'll be doing it on PS5

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Most of the time this is how I play games.

I will play every game in a series in sequential, release order, regardless of how long or old the franchise is. I rarely break this rule.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Every couple of years when I really miss a specific series of games or just want to feel nostalgic I do it. Has been a while though, last time I did it it was all of Splinter Cell.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
There's a joy in discovering a new (old) series for yourself and knowing that there's an entire back catalogue of games to go through, hasn't happened to me much recently after having run through a ton of series on my watchlist over the past 15 years.
Binge-a-bility depends on genre, I like many others got into Yakuza with 0, but I've still only gone as far as Kiwami 2 because the series is a bit too smaey and long per entry for me to go all in.
And the less said about RPGs the better a very recent (ie: today) finishing up of Dragon Quest 11 and a somewhat recent run through both FF7 titles have me eyeing up more of their respective series outside the few titles I have already played/own, but you gotta pace yourself with these longer ones.

Now when I got into Mega Man and Castlevania around 08/09, there was a mighty binge and it was glorious.