• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love platformers and Metroidvanias. Sadly I did not love Ori 1. I had a lot of complaints about it mostly relating to gameplay and level design. But one thing I could never complain about is the incredible production value.

I'm about 3 hours into Ori 2 and I'm very happy to say that it seems to be a big step up from Ori 1 in the gameplay department so far. And of course the graphics are still completely incredible (although I will maintain that all the glowing effects flashing everywhere are a detriment. There are so many effects clouding up the screen I am basically guessing where I am swinging my sword and where the enemy is).

But the true stand-out of the game? The music! HOT DAMN. It is just unbelievably good so far. Perhaps it is standing out because I played Ori in handheld mode on Switch, and Ori 2 I am playing with my full sound system (Switch docked). Ori 1 had good music too but it was often a bit in the generic "sweeping orchestral for magical animation feature" area that I hear for lots of different movies and games. So far Ori 2 is much more interesting, layered, and full of intriguing detail. It's really tickling my senses.

I haven't played very many 2020 games (Animal Crossing, TLOU2, Hades... FFVII is up next after Ori) but I haven't heard anything this good so far this year. What is the consensus around here on Ori having the best game music of 2020? More importantly, what's your feeling on it?

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
I did love the music in AC and honestly, the music in the Age of Calamity sounds pretty great but holding out judgment so far. This really makes me want to play Ori though.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
We have Hades, 13 Sentinels and Streets of Rage 4. And that's out of the games I've played.

13 Sentinels probably has my favourite of this year.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
13 Sentinels, Paper Mario Origami King, FFVII. Ori has a great soundtrack to from the little I've heard of it.

And I know that its re-release of an old game but Mr. Driller Drill Land continues to have one of the best soundtracks ever.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
This year has been extremely strong when it comes to music. Even then I'd say Will of the Wisps might still have the best one out of all of them.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Idk but the game has super sampled 6k on series x and the hdr is sublime. It's unconscionably gorgeous

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Very doubtful. Been playing for hours on XSX it's also the most beautiful game ever made. I can't think of anything that comes close.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
if Tetris Effect Connected counts as 2020 then I might still vote for that.

Sackboy music sounds amazing from what I've heard.

But, yeah, I've gotta give Ori 2 props. Like the first game, superb soundtrack. I listen to it a lot.

Aladan

Dec 23, 2019
There is so much music this year that I really love like the fantastic Final Fantasy 7 Remake Soundtrack, 13 Sentinels, Ghost of Tsushima, Miles Morales or Demon's Souls.

jman912

Dec 31, 2018
Most of the Ikenfell soundtrack is by aivi & surasshu

Bravely Default 2 would have stole the spotlight for me if it wasn't delayed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There has been A LOT of varied, high quality soundtrack released this year.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Paper Mario ToK, Final Fantasy 7R and Genshin Impact are my 3 picks for 2020.

Ghost of Tsushima has a great OST as well but completly underused it imo.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The last of us was just phenomenal.
Especially the contrast to Santaolalla's acoustic melodies to Quayle's synthetic ambient music.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
Quite a few.

Streets of Rage 4
Ghost of Tsushima
Last of Us 2
Short Hike
FFVII Remake
Paper Mario
Hades
Astro Playroom

Will of the Wisps was a decent soundtrack, but ultimately a significant step down from Blind Forest.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
If you count Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition's remastered music, it's great! Mechanical Rhythm, Satorl Marsh evening theme, and Gaur Plain all sound fantastic. Future Connected adds new, original music that takes it another level. My crappy TV speakers can't capture how amazing it is. These are two of the best tracks from Future Connected:

And remastered Mechanical Rhythm from the base game

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
FFVII remake has probably some of the best boss tracks in all of gaming. They really outdone themselves

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
I did 100% in Ori: Will of the Whisp. A great game, and great OST, but there are other games with far better music this year: FF7 REMAKE, Persona 5 Royale...

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Even Yakuza: Like A Dragon has some killer tracks and I haven't played it yet. The Yokohoma Battle theme sounds like a slick techno track. Then there's the Kamurocho Battle Theme which has some dubstep mixed with techno and house music. I love how it builds up. And Urgent really dials up the dubstep while throwing in some chiptune music and even some vocals. I'm listening to the other tracks and they're all incredibly good.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA

I honestly think its one of the most beautiful soundtracks I've heard in gaming. Both of the Ori games are just fucking stellar in the music department (and also everywhere else).

Maybe a crazy idea:
Id love to see Gareth Coker compose for something in the lord of the rings universe. His emotional work gives me the same shivers that howard shores lotr scores do.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too many people haven't played Paradise Killer.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Ori clearly the winner, but genshin impact, ff7 remake and xenoblade are really good too.
There IS a reason why the Guy that did ori music is doing also halo Infinite music.