• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Killer7 comes close, in fact I think it's story is better suited to other media after the first play through.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Journey tells a story in a way that couldn't be done in films, books, etc.

Life Is Strange impacted me more than most movies and TV shows that I've seen.

Choice and interaction with other people are both unique aspects of video games. And they can provide feelings that you won't get anywhere else.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Centuries of literary tradition vs Three/Four decades of storytelling on games.
Easy and cheap to produce vs very restrictive and expensive.
A whole world of diverse stories vs the product of half a dozen hot spots of production.
Products created with the sole purpose of telling a story vs products that might have no story at all.

Why are comparing?

Last edited:

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my lol

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Silent Hill 2
Metal Gear Solid 1-3
Uncharted
The Last of Us
The Witcher 3
Half Life
Oxenfree
Shadow of Memories
Final Fantasy (VII comes to mind)
God of War 2018

I just covered SciFi, Post apocalyptic, Action, Mediavel, Fantastic, Horror...and I didn 't need to think much!

There are videogames that have such such brilliant stories and fictional worlds.

I could just be coming back and adding more and more titles to the list lol

Is PDS story really that good? I've seen people rave about it a lot, but I never knew the story was the reason, I just thought it was good as a complete package.

I've had my eye on it for a while, I should really give it a try.

KingDrool

Oct 27, 2017
Does any video game story compare to the best movies, books or TV stories? No, absolutely not.

Are there stories that are competitive with books, TV and film despite not reaching top literary heights? Absolutely. Suikoden II is a great example. The Witcher 3 is another one. They may not be competitive with literary masterpieces but that doesn't mean their stories are bad.

Yep, I'm with you.

While there are some stories in games that are perfectly fine, the narratives we've seen in games don't even come close to the "greats" of film and literature, which I believe is the question posed in the OP. And I don't understand the snarky "those movies/books don't play very well, either" responses as I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Story is an element of many modern games and developers of those games go out of their way to emphasize the story in those games. The OP asked if we thought any game has approached the heights of stories in other mediums, which is a fair question. My answer to that question is that if you think games like RDR2 stand up to the "greats" of literature and film, well...you're objectively wrong. And that's not bad, per se. I don't believe gaming as a medium lends itself well to story. Or, at least, it developers haven't figured that out yet.

Whooo...that was rambling. Sorry.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR 2 and Planescape Torment feel at home alongside really good fantasy. I'd put MOTB in there as well, but I never liked how undefined your PC protagonist was compared to the Exile/TNO -- leaves a big narrative hole there (even if there's not much they can do about it). That's all that really comes to mind, off the top of my head.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Where does Deus Ex 1 rank actually? When you think about it that game's story kinda predicted some stuff that happened in the decade or so after its release.

Anyway, the main issue I see is that the interactive methods of storytelling unique to video games haven't had as much time to develop. There has been some really excellent stuff in video games over the whole span of the last 40 years that couldn't be done in a movie, but the tradition isn't that mature yet.

Hail Satan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. Not yet at least. I think the hardest hurdle is that the player controls the pacing.

I do however think video games are the masters of creating atmosphere.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
Where does Deus Ex 1 rank actually? When you think about it that game's story kinda predicted some stuff that happened in the decade or so after its release.

Anyway, the main issue I see is that the interactive methods of storytelling unique to video games haven't had as much time to develop. There has been some really excellent stuff in video games over the whole span of the last 40 years that couldn't be done in a movie, but the tradition isn't that mature yet.

DX1 writing is so good but it's also so bad, you know?

Definitely ridiculously entertaining pulp fiction, especially for video games (the general direction of the industry -- and the franchise, unfortunately -- seem to be heading towards dull/grounded/gritty/etc vibes). Lebedev conversation is the point for me where you knew the game was GOAT though.

But hard to get around the fact that there's just a ton of writing in the game that's flat out awful, in an enjoyable C-list movie way.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If we're talking genre specific, then yea, The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption 2. If we're taking as a whole, then no.

TLOU has one of the best zombie story and character depictions in any medium out there, certainly among the very best zombie movies I've watched. And then Red Dead Redemption 2 handles a Western themed narrative and characters among the best I've experienced too.

Uncharted 2/4 handle pulpy action adventure themes and stories exceptionally well, but still not on the level of the best movies of that genre out there.

Last edited:

BluePigGanon

Oct 27, 2017
No, of course not.

But I don't think that's how games should be evaluated, nor is that a goal that should be aspired to. Games are more experiential than a traditional narrative. I think a more interesting question would be: have you ever been as emotionally affected by a game as you were a book or movie?

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
I feel like it's slowly catching up to the mid range of TV, blockbuster movies, comic books, and pulp novels. Nowhere near the best of the best though, but there are some standouts.

The Stanley Parable and Portal/Portal 2 are amazing and are absolutely some of my favourite writing.

The Last of Us is maybe the greatest zombie story, but draws a lot of similarities to Children of Men. It's up there though (If it was a movie the one line pitch would absolutely be "Children of Men with zombies"). The character of Ellie really makes it special.

Spec Ops: The Line wears it's influences on it's sleeve even more so (Joseph Conrad has a writing credit on imdb), but I think it's pretty great too. Especially as a game with all the mass murderer video game heroes trope being addressed ingeniously.

Tales from the Borderlands is arguably as good as/better than the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nier Automata. I still have days where I'll just think about that game for hours.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, to the best of other media?
Yeah, no.

EDIT: Actually, I think Steins;Gate is the best time travel story ever. But that barely qualifies as a game.

As far as telling a story goes, good VNs might honestly be my favorite medium. I don't know if I could generally qualify most as video games though.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I think comparing the narratives of two mediums which are different by nature doesn't do justice to either.

Yeah, if you strip a game down to it's cutscenes, I haven't played a single one which can bravely stand toe-to-toe with the greatest films, and if you strip a game down to it's dialogues, it won't ever match the greatest books. But that comparison also strips out the idea of what a game is.

Last edited:

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only standout stories off the top of my head has been Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, and The Last of Us.

I've always wished, with all that money (!), that Rockstar could hire a top tier writer. The games never kept my attention story-wise. The first time I watched The Shield in it's entirety, I thought it would make a great GTA storyline.

Oct 25, 2017
The story to my favorite Fighting Game of all time (Marvel Vs Capcom 2) might be a strong contender.

kidding of course :P

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock is comparable to Blade Runner in world and atmospheric immersion.

I got Huck Finn vibes from LiS 1&2 at times.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Is the story actually good? I haven't played this game, but I read a synopsis and it sounded incredibly melodramatic and contrived...
A lot of movies sound that way just reading it too.

To The Moon is the only game/movie/book anything that left me shook after playing. I was a mess.

I find a lot of game stories more engrossing and immersive than movie stories

Oct 27, 2017
Valkyrie profile covenant of the plume (DS)
Radiant Historia (DS)
Folklore (PS3)

And also agree to those mentioning "To the Moon", ocassionally I think about that games ending

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect, but as a trilogy of games.

I'd argue, for example, that Priority Tuchanka is the single greatest accomplishment in videogame storytelling but it wouldn't be possible in any other medium.

Oct 27, 2017
Against all time classics, not really. But compared to what's considered some of the best modern stuff, absolutely. Off the top of my head there's the Last of Us and RDR2 which is a great fucking Western. I'm sure I'll think of several others.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. It was way too cringy and it got in the way of the story for me. Neat concepts but overall it left a bad taste in my mouth
I definitely think it gets super anime a fair few times, but I also feel it nails the crucial moments perfectly, and still has the best "rules" for time travel.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
MGS2 or Matsuno stories are probably the closest I can think of.

Lost Odyssey could have been close thanks to the short novels in-game, but I feel like the actually main plot gets derivative in the final part of the game.

dreamobserver

Oct 27, 2017
For the normal stories no, but there are some video game stories that can only be experienced in video game form so that makes it unique. Something like 999 was an amazing story but couldn't be a TV show or movie.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Movies and literature? Big fucking no.

Tv shows? A lot of games easily beat out a lot of shows, but I don't know if that's so much the quality of writing these games have moreso than how bad a lot of these shows have gotten.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Valkyrie profile covenant of the plume (DS)
Radiant Historia (DS)
Folklore (PS3)

And also agree to those mentioning "To the Moon", ocassionally I think about that games ending
About Folklore, it seems like a really interesting game and right up my alley, if the story is that good then it's a big plus!

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
No, not really. The ones that would maybe qualify also happen to be as little game as much as possible. That is not to say a video game can't have a good story, but action stories aren't exactly all that rich with characters, and drama isn't conducive to fun gameplay.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There are game stories that I feel will work quite easily as a film like Abe's Oddysee and The Secret of Monkey Island. There are some game stories that are amazing but the way they're told in the video game wouldn't work at all in a movie. Deus Ex is too convoluted. Planescape: Torment opens with an exposition dump from a flying skull and leans hard on the amnesia trope. GTA is more episodic.

In my opinion, it all really depends on who is steering the ship. For some reason, the only video game movies that have worked REALLY well were directed by the same person - Paul W S Anderson. That is Mortal Kombat an Resident Evil. Definitely not titles I'd expect to translate into coherent movies.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
There are games comparable and even better than certain very good products in other media but story wise and putting them there with the greatest? No, I don't think that there's any videogame story that can look eye to eye to the greatest classics of literature, cinema, theater etc. and come out on top.

By their nature most games (unless they become barely a game) aren't conducive to extense, nuanced and complex narratives and the story is often interrupted (even in story heavy games) by the gameplay which often takes your mind from the story at hand into other directions, then there are elements like 'ludonarrative dissonance' that often sabotage and cheapen certain stories by making characters act nonchalantly in time-sensitive situations or out of character completely, etc.

Granted, I haven't played everything so maybe there are some gems that I don't know about but in any case, they would feel more like the exception (s) that prove the rule than anything else. That said, other media can't replace great gaming either so it's just fair IMO, storytelling in videogames is just constantly climbing a hill full of obstacles so it's actually very impressive that we get some very good stories despite all that.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Ever 17

I dont care how little known these games are, they are right up there with books/Films as far as quality goes and I will never stop showering them with praise

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
CTRL + F "Biosho"

There it is.

Maybe Bioshock? But the way Bioshock tells the story is very different from traditional storytelling (and this is a problem for a lot of games)... I don't know if it's really comparable.

While it is difficult to say is on the same level as any other top media, it does have one of the best twists in any media I've ever consumed.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think people should stop trying to put video games on the same pedestal as other mediums. Just let video games be their own unique and amazing thing without constantly comparing them to film/TV and literature.

Pretty sure film went through this sort of acceptance crisis as well. The world's greatest films pale in comparison to the depth and story of the world's greatest books.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I like what MGS2 goes after thematically and I think it's executed really well.

I think Horizon Zero Dawn covers its setting and topics extremely well, too. I could almost see the script for many of its scenarios actually hashing out into a decent sci-fi series.

And I think many others are capable of reaching some emotionally profound responses from me, even if they don't hold up on the storytelling and world building quite as well. I'd prop up God of War 2018 as an example of this. Some of the scenes and themes of that game are so memorable because they really felt emotionally charged.