• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
So, I just finished Doom 3 for first time ever (Switch), and let me tell you about the more terrifying foe in the game:

iu

In fact, I remember that every single FP game were ladders are present is always an struggle. Specially when going down.

Do you struggle with ladders as much as me, ERA?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
In Call of Duty, you climb ladders by walking into them, and in more recent games, toggle whether you mount them going down by walking forward or backing into them. Pressing jump dismounts. It works well enough.

My least favorite is the Far Cry series, which cuts your FOV down from 100 all the way down to 55 whenever you climb a ladder, swing from a grappling hook, or mantle onto a ledge. Really awful.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I'm playing Turok 2 and Doom 3 at the same time on the Switch and Turok 2 do ladders better, which is weird, ladders are definitely the worst part about Doom 3's presentation.
If it's gameplay wise, I usually just jump when going down.

Mountainous

Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Apex legends, every wall is a ladder.

[serious] IDK, but its a coin flip if a game has good or bad ladder mechanics.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
lot of games do it right, you just walk into it (which, can also be clumsy, but good enough). nothing in particular is coming to mind though

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Although more of a stealth game than a shooter, I thought Alien Isolation had decent (realistic) ladders. Press a button to get on, whatever you're holding is unequipped, and press up and down to move up and down with a swell climbing animation. I think you also have the option to slide down quickly.

The only issue I have with it is needing to be in a pretty specific spot to get on (a lot of stuff in the game is affected by this).

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
At least Half-Life 2 lets you get on ladders with the "use" key. Made going down ladders way easier than most FPS games of the time
If I remember right, Half-Life was also good about having guard rails at the top of ladders so you couldn't accidentally fall when you wanted to get on at the top.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I'm playing Turok 2 and Doom 3 at the same time on the Switch and Turok 2 do ladders better, which is weird, ladders are definitely the worst part about Doom 3's presentation.
The funny thing is from a programming perspective I feel this is the exact opposite. When developing the initial remaster, Turok2's wall climbing code would do weird things like suddenly spin you 180 degrees making you kinda stuck. The whole process was over complicated and all because it was trying to attach the player to a mostly vertical mesh. I fear Turok2's climbing more than Doom3's, but that may just be because I know what can go wrong.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I think maybe F.E.A.R.? I like it when you press F to "attach" to a ladder, so there's no ambiguity on whether or not you're going to use the ladder or fall down.

I might just be thinking of F.E.A.R. beacuse of a certain thing involving a ladder in that game.
You know what I'm talking 'bout

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I think maybe F.E.A.R.? I like it when you press F to "attach" to a ladder, so there's no ambiguity on whether or not you're going to use the ladder or fall down.

I might just be thinking of F.E.A.R. beacuse of a certain thing involving a ladder in that game.
You know what I'm talking 'bout
I was about to say FEAR, too. It's pretty blatant whether you're on the ladder or not.

And the vent around the same time is much worse than the ladder.

moonsofvenus_

Aug 16, 2019
I love video game ladders because they're just objects you can spiderman up while holding anything, with no animation, its so dumb.
Honestly i've yet to meet a game that didn't have a ladder that wasn't a physics nightmare and could kill you incredibly easily.

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Did Riddick have ladders?

I played and finished it but can't for the life of me remember. It seems like a game that would do ladders well.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sea of thieves does this really well

Ladders on moving objects such as ships are everywhere but they are really sticky and you can grab them mid air as well as slide down

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Going down ladders in Half-life is terrifying.
Going up ladders in Half-life is thrilling because it doesn't have a climbing animation. You just zoom up at high speeds.

The ladders want to master you, so you have to master than back.

I'm thinking of Counter-Strick 1.6 by the way, which have the same ladders as Half Life. I remember de_train in which moving well in ladders was very important.

Ostron

Mar 23, 2019
I dislike "press button to attach", it always feels clunky and judging distance is rarely easy in first person. Half-Life and by extension CS had snappy ladders that allowed for cool tricks. Walking onto a ladder while not taking away your gun is IMO the best move gameplay-wise.

Though obviously pointing a weapon forward using both hands while climbing a ladder in real life would be quite a feat.

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
I like Perfect Dark Zero where you press A to get on it, and it goes to a third person view watching Joanna actually climb it instead of floating. It's slow, though.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I would say Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades has very good ladders. They basically work exactly like IRL only without feet (for now).

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always quick saved before using ladders in Half Life.

Deus Ex Human Revolution did them fine if you liked 3rd person.