• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I created a Filipino Apple account to play League of Legends: Wild Rift next week, but I am a little curious about mentions of a VPN that I see around.

If I can successfully download, install & play the game from New York (albeit with likely a fairly high ping) - what can a VPN do for me? If the traffic needs to bounce between my phone & the server, what benefit does the additional hop offer?

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Idk about WR's specific situation, but a VPN is for when a service specifically geo-restricts you. Such as not being to watch certain videos on YT or Netflix in certain countries.

I'm sure there are games that geo-restrict what regional shard people can play on to reduce connection issues.

In your case, a VPN would do nothing except obfuscate your track better, but that hardly matters here.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
VPNs will not help your ping, quite the opposite, really. Your traffic still has to travel to from your home through the VPN, then from it to where you're going. At best you'll break even, but more than likely you won't.

You cannot cheat the Speed of Light. And that's the barrier when going far.

OP
OP
jon bones

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Idk about WR's specific situation, but a VPN is for when a service specifically geo-restricts you. Such as not being to watch certain videos on YT or Netflix in certain countries.

I'm sure there are games that geo-restrict what regional shard people can play on to reduce connection issues.

In your case, a VPN would do nothing except obfuscate your track better, but that hardly matters here.
VPNs will not help your ping, quite the opposite, really. Your traffic still has to travel to from your home through the VPN, then from it to where you're going. At best you'll break even, but more than likely you won't.

You cannot cheat the Speed of Light. And that's the barrier when going far.

thanks, makes perfect sense. i don't know why people were suggesting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.