• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OHCOMMON

Banned
May 15, 2020
yes, when it's from people who just discard other games as being inferior when they didnt even play them

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
'Grate' is too strong of a word but sometimes people go overboard making threads of popular games. Just use an existing thread to give your opinions about current gen games like BOTW or Hollow Knight. There doesn't need to be a new one every few days.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Yea I get what you are saying. I general try to fight back against those emotions though since I think its pretty stupid to feel that way. I prefer to be happy for people loving their experience. I do get super annoyed though when some paint a game as 'sacred' and if you dare to critic it, you are labeled as a hater, a whiner, a contrarian or just trying to be cool. That is what I really hate.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Only when you get things like threads asking if Ellie is more iconic than Lara Croft.

Or if I've played the game in question and just don't get the praise myself.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
No, because I know different people have different opinions and I try to understand their point of view while stating mine as well. It doesn't bother me if more people don't share my opinion

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
If people love a game, that's great! I may or may not share their taste. When the press fawns over a game while ignoring problems that people uncover quickly while actually playing them, though? That bothers me a lot because it feels like there's a clear pattern of deceptive practices that makes me suspect both the media outlets involved and the publisher of the title being promoted.

I think GTA IV was the most overt case of this. Oscar-worthy story? Not in their wildest dreams, but it's clear who paid for that press.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Being bothered because people like a thing too hard is something that you should probably try and work on, OP, for your own good. Seems like a miserable way to be.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
If it's very over the top, yeah. I normally enjoy people enjoying stuff, but when it goes beyond a certain point it becomes obnoxious. Especially if they ignore its faults or try to convince you that you should like it too.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Only when people keep bringing it up in vaguely related threads/topics. For a while there every CRPG thread was about how great Disco Elysium was. Before that, it was how every RPG should be more like Dark Souls.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
There's times when the overwhelming praise comes from a place of ignorance. Maybe young people that had never experienced a good open world game just kept gushing about BOTW for whatever reason. It's a fine game.

Other than that, I don't really care much about hype.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind if fans do it. I do mind if game "critics" do it, since they have a major effect the sales numbers. RDR2 getting near 10/10s across the board was completely undeserved, and gave it a major advantage over titles releasing in the same launch window.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
That's basically been my experience with The Last of Us since it originally released back in 2013. I played it, really enjoyed it, got the Platinum for it.

And then people kept praising it. Over and over again. In the most over the top ways. For years. Until today.

Yes, TLoU is a great game, but certain fans can get so hyperbolic in their praise for it that it almost sours me on it.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
No not really. If people love it then it's all good. As long as they don't mindlessly attack others for disliking it then there really isn't a problem

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Being bothered because people like a thing too hard is something that you should probably try and work on, OP, for your own good. Seems like a miserable way to be.

Nah day to day I'm happy and upbeat. Just occasional annoyance from overexposure. I don't actively attempt to bring anything down I just don't engage with and avoid the game in question. Sometimes even check it out later. I like people being happy and enjoying things

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Only when they hype it up for me to then buy it and hate it/dislike it. (happened to me with Steins Gate/Nier Automata). Otherwise people can like what they want, doesn't effect me.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Not really but I always like to make sure that I make note of the timing of the praise.

Totally a personal feeling, but I think that a lot of early purchasers/first adopters on this forum (and the old place) get super attached to their game of choice at launch and dump tons of praise on it while really glossing over its faults. This initial opinion then seems to become set in stone for people which makes critical discussion hard.

That behavior makes it hard for me to get honest assessments of games that I want to buy.

It doesn't bother me, just something I try to remember when looking at opinions.

Jan 11, 2018
It doesn't effect my personal enjoyment of a game at all. But it does leave me scratching my head a lot when people gush over certain games, calling them perfect or nearly perfect despite glaring flaws.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Nope. It's all just opinions at the end of the day, and some people are just very passionate about what they enjoy. Nowt wrong with that at all.

Only thing that I pay attention to is the content of the praise, so I can decide whether it's my kind of game.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
The only time I'm annoyed is when people say "so-and-so game has ruined other games for me".

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Oh you mean before playing it? No. After playing it and you don't agree, then yes, that's only natural. Especially when it's a favorite franchise and they change the elements you loved most and now everyone else is happier but you are left alone sad in a corner. Which is what BOTW is to me with the dungeons and progression.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
It can get annoying when every thread about anything in gaming gets dominated by one game. Like how people suddenly felt that every game must be exactly like Souls and Souls was the absolute best in absolutely any category that came up and Souls this and Souls that...

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
No game is perfect, everything is flawed and it's up to you to decide which flaw can be ignored.
I don't agree with this. Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. There are definitely a few games that literally couldn't be improved as far as I'm concerned.

But you're right that putting too much stock in review scores is a fool's game. They're just an aggregation of opinions. That's all.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
No, I don't really care what others like, however I never understood the praise BoTW got, it just didn't do anything for me, but I didn't like shake my hand at the sky when people said they loved it.

Piggsy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. Just because you like one platform, it doesn't make every exclusive the last drop of water in the desert.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only when they hype it up for me to then buy it and hate it/dislike it. (happened to me with Steins Gate/Nier Automata). Otherwise people can like what they want, doesn't effect me.
That happened to me with Steins Gate. People told me it wasn't a stereotypical embarrassing otaku visual novel but that's exactly what it was.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
It seems like the frustration with "overpraising" is a combo of two factors. First is FOMO which causes people to want to play every hyped up game, even if it isn't something they're going to like. When they end up disappointed, they blame the fans for leading them astray. But if you're self-aware enough to know what you want out of games, then that won't happen to you.

Of course the other factor is just straight up contrarianism. Hating something that other people love scratches that individualistic itch. But ultimately, those people end up in other echo chambers, with equally annoying opinions.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have an issue with people liking and talking about games they love.
BUT when it starts to infiltrate discussions of any game with a passing similarity and how they all need to be more similar to x game it can get really fucking annoying.

Yes that's in reference to Breath of the Wild. No not every open world game needs to be like it. It's not an incomparable masterpiece that renders other games obsolete.
That's my only issue though people loving a game like BOTW is awesome. It clearly does things a lot of people adore and I'm happy for those people. I just don't get why it has to be brought up as a superior alternative constantly.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I get this, I think I have a slight contrary streak that kicks in sometimes.
I remember wondering why everyone was jizing themselves over Batman Arkham Asylum. They just kept going on and on and on, Suddenly they were all hardcore batman fans (I think this happened to lots of people when the Dark Knight came out).
So I never played it

Until 2 or 3 years after.
Amazing game, wish I had have played it sooner.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Meh...people overrate and hype things to hell and back all the time, not something to get worked up about.

If anything passion towards a particular title can pique my interest, and often has on here which has introduced me to a fair amount of things I otherwise wouldn't have tried myself. Granted, it needs to be more in depth than "GOAT GOTG 10/10!" level praise, you need to make a convincing case for why something is so good. Recent example is a thread on Pathologic 2, lots of in depth explanation for why its as good as the posters claimed and what sets it apart from other games. That's how ya do it.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Imagine being such a petty and small person that you resent others enjoying things and expressing that enjoyment.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
It's never the games fault but I think the industry could do with more diversity both in terms of people and points of view. I think we often get stuck with reviewers who already like a franchise/formula and not enough new viewpoints.

Dissenting views are good as long as they're backed by decent reasoning (ie sexism, racism etc).

Nov 1, 2017
Not really. The main exception is when people can't seem to praise a game on its own merits. When someone can't stop shitting on another game, swearing up and down that "this game" is infinity better than "that one", they go straight to the ignore list lol.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
It can get annoying when every thread about anything in gaming gets dominated by one game. Like how people suddenly felt that every game must be exactly like Souls and Souls was the absolute best in absolutely any category that came up and Souls this and Souls that...
It's doubly annoying for me cause I don't enjoy Souls games but everything need to be compared to it for some reason.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I definitely find some discussions/comments grating, but if I have personal interest in the game, other's reactions to it don't sway me one way or another.
I'm bit bummed though how there's always few titles a year that tend to dominate the discussion, here at least. I'd wish to see more variety, it's always so predictable too what's going to be the next game getting couple new topics a day, or being brought up in many threads. Though then again, I never complain if it's a game I like that gets brought up often.

Edit: Lol I'm getting a bingo soon, Souls, RDR2, Botw, Last of Us already brought up in this thread too.

And this is tiring for sure.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It bugs me when people think a game is perfect, but it's hard to rail against a thing being popular. Like if enough people like a thing, they aren't all idiots.

Unless that thing is Paul Blart: Mall Cop.

But beyond that, my issue is more with people who think that a game they like is completely flawless and anyone who has criticisms about it is wrong or a "hater". That kind of shit drives me up the wall. Nothing is perfect.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Only if it gets to the point of using that against anyone that disagrees and basically say their opinions are totally invalid while just pointing to review scores.

babyzelda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No, but when a game gets too much hate it does get grating for me. It was baffling to realise people on the internet hate Super Paper Mario and Skyward Sword once I started reading gaming forums since I loved these games and I know friends who did as well.
This. I really don't get why people go out of their way to gripe about ten-year-old games because they weren't exactly like 20-year-old games. It's so tiresome.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
It IS annoying how there seems to be a second coming of Christ every month for some people. Games can't ever be just 'pretty good' or 'alright', it's or a masterpiece or awful and if your opinion isn't as strong as other people on both ends of that spectrum, you're the bad guy who should leave the thread. Continuing the vicious circle.

Sketchsanchez

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious this being posted on this forum of all places where the majority gets off on looking down on others just because they like something and they don't.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Praise itself, not really (maybe in some cases where the source is extremely obnoxious or condescending alongside.)

Only when it crosses over into a weird sort of evangelism is when I can get bugged by it.

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Didn't you know that BOTW and the Switch saved gaming though?

I lol'd

I agree though, I think a lot of Nintendo titles are vastly overrated.

The one that grinds me the most though is RDR2 and people saying how awesome every little thing is like having to shave or you grow a beard. IMO Most other companies would get slated for adding things that werent fun etc.

But yeah each to there own, I try not to complain but I supposed complaining is safe in this particular thread lol.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Not unless they actively hate on others who didn't enjoy it as much as them.

It was especially egregious when people who had never played Uncharted 3 where insulting reviewers who didn't give it 9+ scores.