• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Why do people think they can get away with this?

If your entire thing has been based around manifesting snark around journalism without actually understanding it, you go into things without journalistic practices. One of the big ones is the assumption that all journalists get their news from each other, and simply take the text, perhaps jumble a bit up and paste it out. Which isn't the case.

I've had stuff I've done in the past, completely without press release, appear in other online outlets. Literally seeing my interpretations treated as the official line. Which I found amusing as well as pleasing as it meant that my words were not going completely into the void.

Because they think it is this piss easy world where you just paste news around and create social engagement, there is a massive perception issue when it comes to actual investigative journalism.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Technically it's at least two people, but yeah Sal does a lot of the reporting.

Oh this is another thing. The amount of work put into making just basic content is just huge.if you're spending the time to understand the work you're given, getting under the skin of the press release and to find an angle on it. That's without the entire CMS management, the social support, the whole PR relationship thing. Can lead to getting burnt out. I had to bin off about 5 months of this year through writers block.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I dont get why these plagarisers can't just credit their sources. Why act like you got it first hand? Anyway it seems like Nichegamer is trash anyways. So much for ethics lol

I don't understand either. It's not like anyone cares if the news is an original scoop or not, and something basically 90% of internet news sites do anyway. Citing sources is a no brainer.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I am shocked that a GG site knows nothing about ethics in game journalism.

not shocked in the slightest

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Niche Gamer is unabashedly a Gamergate website so this is no surprise at all. Get'em, Sal.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Niche Gamer is a garbo site with garbo readers so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Good thing I just happened to be standing in front of my fainting couch when I read that a known gamergate hive has absolutely no journalistic integrity whatsoever.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I mean most if not all of Gematsu content is just trailers, press releases and very short, dry and extremely informative text. Not a lot to steal, but still a very bad look for NicheGamer.
I take it they could've listed 10x the amount of examples and your reaction would still be identical.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean most if not all of Gematsu content is just trailers, press releases and very short, dry and extremely informative text. Not a lot to steal, but still a very bad look for NicheGamer.
What a godawful post considering the amount of work Sal puts into his articles, specially the translated ones.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I know this post has been called out a bunch, but it cannot be understated how false this statement is. I don't get why people try to take a stance on a topic in which they're blatantly ignorant. Gematsu isn't just the first source for a plethora of game info, they're one of the few sources for direct translations from Japanese exclusive info.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Are they copy-pasting what they think are official press releases, or are they copy-pasting news too? Kinda hard to tell.

I always thought it was kinda weird for sites to republish press releases separately (unless you're Gematsu and are only one guy lol).

If anything maybe add them to a news piece.

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
NicheGamer is a pro GG site, so it's quite hilarious to see them being accused of plagiarism.

Some of these people need to be removed from the industry.

NicheGamer claims plagurism is fault of a hired ghost writer publishing articles under the name of the founder

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

every time I make a mistake.. I will say a Ghost did it.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Lol the plagiarized articles were written by a "ghost writer" who's been writing for us for years and we can't name and is totally not me, but they're terminated!!!

Uh-huh.

Cardon

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Just seeing this now and I always hate when stuff like this happens. Like what the hell, is it so hard to write a simple blurb yourself especially when you have endless PR announcements sent to you to source info from?

Also, what the hell is up with the NicheGamer mascot? Like don't get me wrong, I don't mind a bit of anime and the such but that's one odd mascot to have for a gaming site.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Huh, it's almost like the people shouting the loudest about something may be guilty of it themselves...

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
Huge dick move, having worked for a small game website in the past that has had to deal with something similar.

Everyone follow Gematsu on Twitter, Sal puts in the hours and sweat to bring us Japanese gaming news.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
You can always trust GG pro sites for great examples of lack of ethics on game journalism.

Also, LOL at the guy here probably outing himself as GG. Just skip NG and go straight to the source.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Followed Niche gamer briefly several years ago because they seemed to align with my interests but after engaging with their community briefly on the forum and in the comments I noped out of there pretty fast.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Followed Niche gamer briefly because they seemed to align with my interests but after engaging with their community briefly on the forum and in the comments I noped out of there pretty fast.

yeah, it's unfortunate that the GG types gravitated towards imports because it really makes me not want to interact with the import game scene much more. there are a lot of really toxic beliefs/behaviors in it.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
sal supports trump? i always hated gematsu comments but sal seemed to be ok...

edit: quick look at his twitter, and he has a like of danny devito's pic with bernie. so what is the truth?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I used to go there in addition to gematsu, but stopped going to Nichegamer because their content was redundant (big surprise!) and their community was full of shitposters. I see I made the right choice.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if its one writer or multiple who did this. Either way really pathetic and why do people still think they can get away with it especially with so little changes

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I think I viewed one article on NG, saw it had a Gematsu article's comment section on steroids, and noped out. Not surprising that the site's owner engages in unethical behavior.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Hey guys could we maybe not accuse members who said they used NG of being gamergaters? Maybe they really were just in it for the gaming news. The only reason I never used NG is because Gematsu was faster... now I know why. lol

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
As someone who has had work plagiarized this hits hard. I asked Google to take the offending pages down but nothing came of it. Glad to see something was done about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.