• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
In the past few hours, several instances of plagurism has been noted by Gematsu's twitter, committed by NicheGamer writers who lift edited PRs and other blurbs of text from Gematsu articles of the same subjects without credit, and the twitter has been replying to many article tweets plagiarized, allegedly spanning at least a year.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard of them. Good riddance nonetheless.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's hilariously blatant. Not hard to link back to Gematsu for their great work...

Unsure how the traffic works out, but was a bummer to see they had twice as many twitter followers :/

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the Trails of Cold Steel one is hilarious.
Purely a coincidence that they text was copypasted

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I guess they are not doing the work to get the PR themselves - so wrongly treating Gematsu as a PR resource site

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of those publications that would grouch over feminists taking away their anime boobs and fanservice, right?

Either way, trash publication.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
The reason why he's using archive is because one article and tweet he pointed out on Twitter ended up getting deleted.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Meh I followed them on twitter because they were one of those publications that didn't wrote irritating gonzo editorials and now they get caught doing this. Unacceptable.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
I mean most if not all of Gematsu content is just trailers, press releases and very short, dry and extremely informative text. Not a lot to steal, but still a very bad look for NicheGamer.

EDIT: ok everyone, my bad, I forgot about the translations part.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate Language
NicheGamer is trash and everyone who works on it are bitch made. Truth is their readership are bitch made too. Doesn't surprise me they're just leeches from the work of others.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
I mean most if not all of Gematsu content is just trailers, press releases and very short, dry and extremely informative text. Not a lot to steal, but still a very bad look for NicheGamer.
I mean it doesn't matter if it's not a lot to steal if you still insist on stealing it, right? Gematsu makes a point whether or not they summarized a press release or a translation, and then that ends up being lifted instead of from the PR source itself.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think they would've stopped after the Filip Muicin stuff came out... But I guess they may not pay too much attention to gaming news

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

An awful lot of Gematsu's content is hand-translated from Japanese by its staff, too, and that shit got lifted as well. It's bad.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
An awful lot of Gematsu's content is hand-translated from Japanese by its staff, too, and that shit got lifted as well. It's bad.

Yeah, they've more or less replaced AndriaSang as the go to source if you want Japanese gaming news. Particularly news from smaller titles that haven't even had a localization announced.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those publications that would grouch over feminists taking away their anime boobs and fanservice, right?

Either way, trash publication.
It is. And I have some of their writers and editors blocked too. You can find a lot of GG related articles on their site, and their former senior writer who now works for Russian propaganda site RT even used to do AMAs on KiA. A couple of their editors I even remember harassing and antagonizing a friend of mine who has been trying to get into games journalism. Lots of rotten people work for NicheGamer

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Nichegamer a Gamergate site? What happened to that whole ethics spiel.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am unable to see Twitter at the moment, but can someone explain how it's possible to plagiarize a press release? Isn't that what it's for, to release to the press for them to disseminate?

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
I am unable to see Twitter at the moment, but can someone explain how it's possible to plagiarize a press release? Isn't that what it's for, to release to the press for them to disseminate?
EL4vwKsVUAAJsj6

EL4vwK3U4AAaGr7

EL4vwK8UcAAx6Ir

Like this.

OP
OP
SinCityAssassin
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see whatever it you are posting. I believe you though.
Okay essentially a lot of the PR in Gematsu articles is translated by staff, or edited by the writer for more concise information.

NicheGamer lifts that from Gematsu instead of the actual source. There is also one instance where a paragraph from a gematsu article is accidentally retained in an NG one and other times where an NG article that retains errors from the first iteration of a Gematsu article.

Martl

Oct 30, 2017
Austria
So i got that one friend that likes everything from Niche Gamer but isn't a fan of Gematsu. That will be definitely interessting.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay essentially a lot of the PR in Gematsu articles is translated by staff, or edited by the writer for more concise information.

NicheGamer lifts that from Gematsu instead of the actual source. There is also one instance where a paragraph from a gematsu article is accidentally retained in an NG one and other times where an NG article that retains errors from the first iteration of a Gematsu article.

Translated from Japanese to English? Anyway ok I got it, weird they don't just rewrite it or wait for press release in English.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
Plagarism like this is harder to notice at times because standard games news can often read as canned press releases, and it is commonly regurgitated in some form.

This probably got noticed a bit faster because it's, well, Nichegamer. In addition to this being some pretty egregious leeching from a single source, in this case Gematsu

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
I for one am shocked that a website infested with thumb sucking gamergate nerds is trash

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
It is. And I have some of their writers and editors blocked too. You can find a lot of GG related articles on their site, and their former senior writer who now works for Russian propaganda site RT even used to do AMAs on KiA. A couple of their editors I even remember harassing and antagonizing a friend of mine who has been trying to get into games journalism. Lots of rotten people work for NicheGamer

I also heard from a friend this isnt the first time Sal pointed this out.

So yeah pure scum.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not from the US and the first time I saw the site, the "we proudly support our troops" banner made me laugh and was a reason enough for never go back.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's hilariously blatant. Not hard to link back to Gematsu for their great work...

Unsure how the traffic works out, but was a bummer to see they had twice as many twitter followers :/
Wow, that's shitty. :(

I'd follow Gematsu if I have an active Twitter account. I open the site (which I bookmarked) at least 3 times a day, it's my main source for Japanese games.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Translated from Japanese to English? Anyway ok I got it, weird they don't just rewrite it or wait for press release in English.

Not when they report on Japanese games that don't get any PR done until they're announced for localisation. They're basically the go to place if you want yo Japanese gaming news ASAP.

I dont get why these plagarisers can't just credit their sources. Why act like you got it first hand? Anyway it seems like Nichegamer is trash anyways. So much for ethics lol

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018

Isn't Gematsu just one person? I'm always really impressed in the hard work he does

Status
Not open for further replies.