• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Talal I wonder if you can pass the time with some audio stuff that won't give you headaches? Do you listen to any podcasts or audio books right now, or need some recommendations?
EDIT: Also, what he said ^^^^ . If anyone wants to gift him one, you can send stuff from the Post office for like 20 bucks from the US ;)

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Talal, please don't worry too much about updating us frequently here if it is hurting you to do so. Even once a week is just fine. We all know chemo is rough and that you need space to recover. <3

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hey talal as others have said i think some podcasts could be really helpful for you, gaming wise i'd recommend kotaku splitscreen, otherwise Stuff you should know has like 1000 topics that are all great listens.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Also Talal if you do use a computer or a phone enable night mode if it's available. No idea about iOS but Android has it, it makes the screen much less bright and makes whites yellow, helps greatly with headaches. It's also available on Windows 10 if you're using a computer.

Still, avoid using them at all and focus on recovering!

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Dear ERA, hope you are doing fine.
Even though a lot of the side effects wore off,I've been experiencing some awful headaches, I want to participae in the forum more often but I can't look at a screen or have lights in my room. I have history with migraine, it's similar but after chemo nothing seems to calm it down. Nevertheless, I'm feeling very good and every time I imagine the era logo, colors, ui and your profile pictures I get goosebumps and become very motivated. Thank you again for everything.

I will keep note of your comments and advice, I will do my best to avoid any extra infections.

Thank you and yes they do. Tbh my parents consider this to be nothing short of a miracle. They say they've been praying for a long time and always knew in their hearts that we would find a solution. My mother now tells me multiple times per day : "It's funny how we can find more kindness in strangers than in our close ones". The fundraising invogorated their soul as well.

Bless your mom and dad... It must have been an unbearable pain for them to know that their son is sick and not being able to do anything.

Zoja

Jan 15, 2018
I just red the story, wish you the best Talal.

Its awesome how people can organize themselves through a forum.

This makes me really happy.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
If you want something to do while you are not capable of doing much else, here's 115, 3-5+ hour long episodes of more or less famous, charismatic nerdy (mostly video game/anime) voice actors playing through a homebrew D&D campaign by one of the most talented, intense DMs on the planet. They really get into their roles. Much fun is to be had, but also some reaaally exciting, dramatic and nail-biting-y moments. The first 115 episodes are from a single campaign that concluded last Fall. It kind of starts mid-campaign-ish (they had home-games for 2-3 years before they took it to Twitch) and it takes awhile for the players to get into their groove (since the setting of live streaming is so different from the intimacy of home games, especially early on since the tables are so far from each other) and for the story to pick up, but once it does, it can hook you real bad. The early episodes have some audio issues but it gets better.

In podcast form:
http://criticalrolepodcast.geekandsundry.com/

or if you prefer to have the visuals (I'd recommend this, seeing the players get into it and reacting to stuff and seeing the battlefields is definitely a plus above just audio), the youtube playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7atuZxmT954bCkC062rKwXTvJtcqFB8i

Just in case you want something to occupy your mind.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Also Talal if you do use a computer or a phone enable night mode if it's available. No idea about iOS but Android has it, it makes the screen much less bright and makes whites yellow, helps greatly with headaches. It's also available on Windows 10 if you're using a computer.

Still, avoid using them at all and focus on recovering!

Just to confirm - iOS does have this, it is called Night Shift. As mentioned, I would recommend it with the headaches.

Wishing you all the best Talal!

OP
OP
Talal

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the advice guys, I'm feeling a little better now and started doing radiation yesterday after getting a second opinion elsewhere. It seems it could help greatly with some of the bigger tumors and in combination with chemo and rituximab every 3 weeks it could better my chances. It takes only 2 minutes but with the train and taxi it takes me around 3-4 hours to get back home.
It's pretty tough without a screen lol, but I read a lot and listen to a bunch of podcasts. The stuff you should know podcast recommended by JoeNut is really good. Some video game podcasts I listen to like EZA and GameInformer. I also listen to some programming podcasts and want to get back to it when I feel better. Otherwise I'm just lying around and visualizing how my life could become if I get healed, most of the time I'm very motivated but sometimes I feel a little down, that's normal I guess.
This reminds that couple of months ago I sent a couple emails to some entertainers and content makers to let them know how much their stuff helped me through a tough time and the gameinformer crew were the only to respond and it truly means a lot, if you're reading this thank you again !
Also can anyone recommend a good history book that tells the whole history of humanity ? This is something I'm very interested in and I've been looking for it for some time now. Also any audiobook or podcast recommendation are very welcome.
Thank you for reading and hope you have a great day. Love you guys.

lootenplunder

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for the advice guys, I'm feeling a little better now and started doing radiation yesterday after getting a second opinion elsewhere. It seems it could help greatly with some of the bigger tumors and in combination with chemo and rituximab every 3 weeks it could better my chances. It takes only 2 minutes but with the train and taxi it takes me around 3-4 hours to get back home.
It's pretty tough without a screen lol, but I read a lot and listen to a bunch of podcasts. The stuff you should know podcast recommended by JoeNut is really good. Some video game podcasts I listen to like EZA and GameInformer. I also listen to some programming podcasts and want to get back to it when I feel better. Otherwise I'm just lying around and visualizing how my life could become if I get healed, most of the time I'm very motivated but sometimes I feel a little down, that's normal I guess.
This reminds that couple of months ago I sent a couple emails to some entertainers and content makers to let them know how much their stuff helped me through a tough time and the gameinformer crew were the only to respond and it truly means a lot, if you're reading this thank you again !
Also can anyone recommend a good history book that tells the whole history of humanity ? This is something I'm very interested in and I've been looking for it for some time now. Also any audiobook or podcast recommendation are very welcome.

Guns, Germs, and steel is a fun book to start for history written from a biology perspective. I've not read it but Sapiens is highly reviewed. I'd also recommend the hardcore history podcast.

Hayvic

Oct 27, 2017
Hey Talal. Wish you a speedy recovery. I'm sure you can beat this! As for history books I can't recommend 'Guns, germs and steel' by Jared Diamond enough. It's a great and very readable thesis explaining the reason of the wealth distribution in the world starting in prehistory and slowly guiding you through time towards modern times.

Edit: well if two guys recommend it then it must be true!

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada

v6DKiKv.jpg

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but I got this as a gift for Christmas this year. It goes through all of human history and touches on important events throughout every age. I think it's pretty cool and a good source of general information about important events.

Keep up your spirits man! You can do this!

OP
OP
Talal

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Many thanks for the suggestion guys, my best friend who works in Belgium is visiting next week, will ask her to bring these books for me.

Last edited:

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks so much for the regular updates and strength. I can imagine the train / taxi rides are painful, so I am glad you are trying to mitigate those things.

Also I know its not the history of the world, but I found this book incredibly interesting back in the day: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316168718/?tag=era0f0-20

The history is deep even if its only Spain's history.

Anyway, keep on keeping on! Let us know how things are progressing.

Flabber

Oct 31, 2017
Hi Talal! I listen to podcasts pretty much all day every day when I'm working, Stuff You Should Know is one of my favourites so with it in mind that you enjoyed that one, here are a few of my top recommendations:

Invisibilia - From a former This American Life producer about the invisible forces that shape human behaviour, way more interesting than a standard podcast on psychology. Give the preview a listen here.

No Such Thing As A Fish - Slightly irreverent podcast from the researchers for the UK TV show QI where they each talk about their favourite fact they've learned that week; anything from the salmon being more closely related to a camel than a hagfish and the way we classify species to there being more than 600 guys in the world with two dicks and discussions on gene mutations.

Strangers - From a former producer on The Moth (which I totally recommend if you've not listened to that one), these are typically just interesting stories from regular people.

You Are Not So Smart - Similar to Invisibilia, it's another interesting take on psychology with a focus on how our minds don't work the way you'd expect them to. Episode 36 on the Dunning Kruger effect (why people who can't hold a note think they're going to win American Idol) is a favourite.

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast - Most of these are pretty serious so if you just need something to give you a laugh this one never fails me.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
<3

That is a heart. The best I can do as I'm convinced I'm the most computer illiterate person here. I somehow got my avatar to populate.

OP
OP
Talal

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions and wishes guys, you're the best.
Hi Talal! I listen to podcasts pretty much all day every day when I'm working, Stuff You Should Know is one of my favourites so with it in mind that you enjoyed that one, here are a few of my top recommendations:

Invisibilia - From a former This American Life producer about the invisible forces that shape human behaviour, way more interesting than a standard podcast on psychology. Give the preview a listen here.

No Such Thing As A Fish - Slightly irreverent podcast from the researchers for the UK TV show QI where they each talk about their favourite fact they've learned that week; anything from the salmon being more closely related to a camel than a hagfish and the way we classify species to there being more than 600 guys in the world with two dicks and discussions on gene mutations.

Strangers - From a former producer on The Moth (which I totally recommend if you've not listened to that one), these are typically just interesting stories from regular people.

You Are Not So Smart - Similar to Invisibilia, it's another interesting take on psychology with a focus on how our minds don't work the way you'd expect them to. Episode 36 on the Dunning Kruger effect (why people who can't hold a note think they're going to win American Idol) is a favourite.

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theatre Podcast - Most of these are pretty serious so if you just need something to give you a laugh this one never fails me.
This will help a lot, very grateful thank you.

JoseJX

Oct 26, 2017
Hey Talal! You can do this!

I'm going to second "Guns, Germs and Steel", it's a great book! Another book that I really liked that's similar in subject but from a very different perspective is "A History of the World in 100 Objects" by Neil MacGregor. It explores human history through things in the British Museum's collection. There's also a radio series that inspired the book that's worth checking out.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's disgusting to me that having to do a fundraising campaign to be able to afford life-saving treatment is a thing in any developed nation, but I'm glad yours worked out and I hope you kick this shit's ass right out of there!

gingerbeardman

Moai Master
Oct 27, 2017
Cornwall, UK
Another book that I really liked that's similar in subject but from a very different perspective is "A History of the World in 100 Objects" by Neil MacGregor. It explores human history through things in the British Museum's collection. There's also a radio series that inspired the book that's worth checking out.
I was also going to recommend this. It's great. The podcast is here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-history-of-the-world-in-100-objects/id351096296?mt=2

There's also a follow up, The History of the Classical World in 100 objects, which goes from the beginnings of the bronze age in Greece to the fall of the Roman Empire.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast...ssical-world-in-100-objects/id1161144817?mt=2

As well as the podcasts the books are available. The radio/podcast is kind of like an audio book anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
It's disgusting to me that having to do a fundraising campaign to be able to afford life-saving treatment is a thing in any developed nation, but I'm glad yours worked out and I hope you kick this shit's ass right out of there!
I believe Morocco is classified as a "developing" nation, but you're right, lack of access to life-saving treatments due to cost is disgusting anywhere.

OP
OP
Talal

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
I got an idea when riding the train back home today. I thought of making a small rpg and share it you guys. I'll be putting little time into it whenever I'm feeling good enough to do so.

Was just a small thing in my mind but I'm getting more and more motivated and starting to have some good ideas. Nothing too big, it will also keep me occupied for the next couple of months. Have a nice weekend Era !

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I got an idea when riding the train back home today. I thought of making a small rpg and share it you guys. I'll be putting little time into it whenever I'm feeling good enough to do so.

Was just a small thing in my mind but I'm getting more and more motivated and starting to have some good ideas. Nothing too big, it will also keep me occupied for the next couple of months. Have a nice weekend Era !

Talal's Quest

I'd play it! : D

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017

I'm in! Giveittome.gif

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The updates are incredible. You're a real trooper Talal. Take it easy, maybe listen to some audio books too? Might make for an easier time.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

If you could make a game under these conditions, no other crowd-funded project should ever miss their target or disappear completely again.

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was also going to recommend this. It's great. The podcast is here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-history-of-the-world-in-100-objects/id351096296?mt=2

There's also a follow up, The History of the Classical World in 100 objects, which goes from the beginnings of the bronze age in Greece to the fall of the Roman Empire.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast...ssical-world-in-100-objects/id1161144817?mt=2

As well as the podcasts the books are available. The radio/podcast is kind of like an audio book anyway.

Great recommendations. Also YouTube for history. A ton of stuff is available to watch and listen too. Hang in there chap, your doing great.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Hope things are going well. Almost all of my podcasts are either gaming or US politics related, but if that sounds interesting I'll be happy to recommend some. You might like the USGamer Axe of the Blood God podcast, which is an all-RPG show.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
May have been recommended already, and while it's not a history of humanity as a whole, it is extremely fascinating.

https://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

OP
OP
Talal

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Hi friends. Thank you for the recommendations they've been a great help in these difficult times.
Treatment is going smoothly and I'm trying to stay positive. The headaches came back with a vengence lol, along with some terrible toothaches. I think I got the flu as well. This is by far the most difficult stuff, everything else is great. Played some Suikoden 2 in the weekend, I listen to podcasts nearly every day. Was glad to see the director's roundtable in the hollywood reporter youtube chanel yesterday. I got through 50% of the book I was reading and whenever I'm feeling good, I try to contribute to the game I told you about.

You guys have been very good to me, this is a very beautiful thing and I'm glad to be part of it in spite of the circumstances.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad things are moving forward. Way better than the situation two weeks back!!

Stay strong, we are with you.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hi friends. Thank you for the recommendations they've been a great help in these difficult times.
Treatment is going smoothly and I'm trying to stay positive. The headaches came back with a vengence lol, along with some terrible toothaches. I think I got the flu as well. This is by far the most difficult stuff, everything else is great. Played some Suikoden 2 in the weekend, I listen to podcasts nearly every day. Was glad to see the director's roundtable in the hollywood reporter youtube chanel yesterday. I got through 50% of the book I was reading and whenever I'm feeling good, I try to contribute to the game I told you about.

You guys have been very good to me, this is a very beautiful thing and I'm glad to be part of it in spite of the circumstances.

Don't force yourself to post if the conditions hurt. Suidoken 2 is a great game, so I hope you have fun.

Always remember that you are loved. Not just by the people on ERA, but by family and IRL friends as well.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the updates, Talal! I'm always happy when I see the thread back on the first page and then read that treatment is going smoothly. :)