• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you're implying that you might be able to seriously help Talal in that manner, I just want you to know that that makes you (and everyone else who donated and showed love and support) real heroes. I hope Talal reads your post.

I hope he does too. I'll be going to bed soon but I'll check this thread when I get up.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I don't know what else to say aside from being really sorry this crap happened to you. I hope you're able to pull through. :(

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Perhaps there is someone from Spain in this forum that's trustworthy and can bring a cashier's cheque over? I remember taking a Ryanair for cheap a decade ago to fly over to Morocco.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah sounds like flying in to give him the check is faster than dealing with paypal. This is a very time sensitive manner. I'd donate to a separate funding page if you want to fly to Talal.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If he could set up another funding page that will 100% pay up front, then he could potentially fund his initial treatment that way, at which point it doesn't matter as much if the other cash doesn't come through for another month.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm honestly out of ideas except calling paypal again and again until you reach someone who's willing to listen and help. Ask to speak to bosses, if necessary. Did they give any time frame on when the money will be free to work with, or will they just hold it indefinately? Is there literally ANY option to create a new bank account for this?

And yes, do try that virtual VISA card.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Oh man I can't believe it. I'm sure that a bank could give you a small loan if you explain the situation.
Also this. Take a deep breath and call _everyone_ relevant to this, anyone who might help, try to set up everything that could help (bank account, visa, other payment providers). If a support guy says they can't do anything, call again. If you land at the same guy, ask for a supervisor.
Anyone here at Era, if you have the funds to help out at least for starting until the money arrives, please consider. If anyone here lives in the area and there's a chance to help with moving funds, please consider helping. It's probably silly, but I wouldn't trust the people in this thread any less than a "friend of a friend".

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Can you not just give the PayPal Account to the person who offered to wire the money to you? Like just give him the password and authorization for the account? That way he can send you the money and you can start treatment ASAP.

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps there is someone from Spain in this forum that's trustworthy and can bring a cashier's cheque over? I remember taking a Ryanair for cheap a decade ago to fly over to Morocco.

I live and work in Spain, but at home in the UK for Christmas. My flight back to Madrid booked for the 5th, and there are always cheap flights to Morocco from there.

Sonyx

Oct 26, 2017
Been following this for a while. Donated and hope you get that money quickly. It is nice to see everyone stepping together to help, good luck!

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a bit lost on the situation, to be completely honest, and I'd have to read the last few pages carefully. I'm from Spain and I've taken a few days off from work to spend the holidays back home. Going back in soon. Assuming I could do anything to help before then, how would I get the cheque in the first place anyway? If it's to be sent over from overseas that could also take a bit, I guess? That's been my experience in the past, anyway. Adding to that that there's little I can do show that I'm that trustworthy.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017
I'm from Spain too but I'm a bit lost because I don't understand too much about paypal, only basics.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
GUYS, remember that you may only hold 10.000€/$ on you when flying. The money would need to be transferred to the person account and then fly over to pay it.

That is false. You can carry as much as you like in/out of the US and EU, you just have to declare it. Don't know about any restrictions in Morocco.

That said, if you're talking an in-person delivery it doesn't make sense for someone from the US to do it simply due to cost. It'll cost around $2k for most any destination pair from the US. It'll be a lot cheaper from Europe.

But really, the more realistic thing is to just wire the funds if PayPal can't do it. Wire transfers are simple, straightforward and not that costly. Have someone in the US or EU pull the money and then wire it to the OP. Simple. Cheap. Fast.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
That is false. You can carry as much as you like in/out of the US and EU, you just have to declare it. Don't know about any restrictions in Morocco.

That said, if you're talking an in-person delivery it doesn't make sense for someone from the US to do it simply due to cost. It'll cost around $2k for most any destination pair from the US. It'll be a lot cheaper from Europe.

But really, the more realistic thing is to just wire the funds if PayPal can't do it. Wire transfers are simple, straightforward and not that costly. Have someone in the US or EU pull the money and then wire it to the OP. Simple. Cheap. Fast.

Of course, but don't you think the money will be detained in the customs after a guy passes with over 25K with a wild internet story?

Shout-out to Trust Pixel LLC. who donated $500. Amazing.

Shot-out to the guy in the beginning who donated $2.000 and the mod who donated $1.000. Also to everyone who donated, every little bit helps!

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm from Spain too. I don't have that much money saved though, can somebody explain the specifics like I'm 5?

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry but I can't find the tweet we're supposed to retweet. May some caring soul repost it here? I want to retweet it.
Just to make matters clear, im talking about the tweet that points to the thread and gogetfunding page, although the PayPal tweet might come in handy too. Thanks.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it has to be possible to wire transfer money, I assume it happens all the time. Of course with large sums things can take some time, maybe a few days if that, but it should be possible.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just seen the updates on this - can't believe that bureaucracy is getting in the way of this. Hope it works out and soon!

Madouu

Oct 25, 2017
Just to be clear, wiring the funds to Talal's bank account here works and shouldn't cause any issues. The problem here is that Talal is having difficulty sending the funds from his paypal account to the bank account of the person who could in theory wire the money from europe or the US.

If paypal sorts this out, we should be looking at 3 or 4 business days through this method from my experience.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be possible to contact some kind of international NPO with local presence like Red Crescent/Cross to help sort this situation out?

Maybe they can help with this whole situation.

OP
OP
Talal

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to anyone who's trying to find a solution. Feels good to be supported by so many great people.
I'm not sure I understand, thing is, I can't use my paypal balance at all, until I link it with local bank account to withdraw it. Therefore I can't send it to someone who could wire it to me, or come to Morocco to give it to me.
If you guys intend to fly over and lend me the money until I sort this out, then I really don't know what to say.
I'll be catching a train to my home town now. See ya guys.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Thanks to anyone who's trying to find a solution. Feels good to be supported by so many great people.
I'm not sure I understand, thing is, I can't use my paypal balance at all, until I link it with local bank account to withdraw it. Therefore I can't send it to someone who could wire it to me, or come to Morocco to give it to me.
If you guys intend to fly over and lend me the money until I sort this out, then I really don't know what to say.
I'll be catching a train to my home town now. See ya guys.
Maybe you can link the paypal account to the bank account of somebody you really really really really really really REALLY trust 100%

Also once you're funded can't you explain to the hospital that you have the money but you can't use it yet? Maybe if they can see you do actually have the money, they agree to do the surgery first, charge you later. Show them the crowfunding page and your paypal account. It'll be an exception and not the rule on their part, sure, but I doubt they'll refuse... Or at least I want to doubt it.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you can link the paypal account to the bank account of somebody you really really really really really really REALLY trust 100%

Also once you're funded can't you explain to the hospital that you have the money but you can't use it yet? Maybe if they can see you do actually have the money, they agree to do the surgery first, charge you later. Show them the crowfunding page and your paypal account. It'll be an exception and not the rule on their part, sure, but I doubt they'll refuse... Or at least I want to doubt it.
Is this the only way?

Also good idea on talking to the staff. That could work for now.

Kafkaswaffle

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a point in donating before this issue is taken care of? I would really like to help, but never used online fundraising before.

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
If we are organizing a call in campaign to paypal to release the money sooner or anything of that nature I am down.

Just let me know who, when and how many.......I have to call.

Lil Peanut Brotha

Motion Graphics Artist at Riot Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
CA, USA
Is there someone in Morocco on this forum who can physically visit Talal and go through the process of linking to a local bank and whatnot?

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume wiring is the best option as well, regardless on if physically having that cash through borders is 'legal' it still looks incredibly suspicious and there will be a headache with customs and bureaucracy in this situation when time is of the essence and any hold-ups can't be afforded.

My uncle once had cigarettes he purchased abroad, within the legal limit for personal use, taken off him by customs because 'he didn't look or smell like a smoker' - well yeah he's been on trains and a plane all day did you expect him to spark up on an airplane just so he smells like a smoker when he passes through customs? He's been a 20+-a-day his entire life, he has absolutely zero intention of selling them but that's what customs believed so they confiscated them all. Customs agent was rude and aggressive so he terminated the interview so they took that as an admission of guilt, he appealed and took it to tribunal but they sided with customs. You cannot assume Customs Agents follow the law, you can go into months of fighting them in courts and still lose. It's sad and shouldn't be that way but that's the way it is currently and what we have to deal with.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I don't think I quite understand the current paypal situation, but this is super frustrating. Time is of the essence right now, and it could take a month? We have to be able to do something about this...

Deschain

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I quite understand the current paypal situation, but this is super frustrating. Time is of the essence right now, and it could take a month? We have to be able to do something about this...

Yeah I'm not sure I understand the PayPal issue.

Talal, do you have a bank account and have you lo ked that to PayPal?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
About the flying with the money thing... Does anything actually prevent someone from flying while silently having 37 1.000$ bills on their wallet? Surely the security doesn't check people's wallets?

I have never traveled outside the EU so maybe I'm totally wrong.

Deschain

User banned at own request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About the flying with the money thing... Does anything actually prevent someone from flying while silently having 37 1.000$ bills on their wallet? Surely the security doesn't check people's wallets?

Dogs are trained to search/sniff out large sums of money.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017

Nothing will happen most of the time, but if it happens and you haven't notified you were carrying that money you may get into some problems.