• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

www.doctorwho.tv

COMING SOON: Time Lord Victorious | Doctor Who

BBC Studios presents a brand-new multi-platform Doctor Who story, 'Time Lord Victorious'

Follow several Doctors across space and time as they defend their home planet from a terrible race, this is a story like no other…

Time Lord Victorious is a brand-new multi-platform Doctor Who story told across audio, novels, comics, vinyl, digital, immersive theatre, escape rooms and games!

Time Lord Victorious will launch in September 2020 over twelve weeks, with products and experiences releasing from September until January 2021.

Time Lord Victorious will be set within the Dark Times at the start of the universe, when even the Eternals were young. It features the Eighth, Ninth and Tenth Doctors, travelling across Space and Time as they defend the universe from a terrible race.

As well as three Doctors, companion Rose Tyler and monsters including the Daleks and the Ood will feature, plus more to be revealed over the coming months as products are announced.

Partners involved in the project include Penguin Random House, BBC Books, Doctor Who Magazine, Titan Comics, Escape Hunt, Big Finish and Immersive Everywhere.

James Goss, Producer, said:

"BBC Studios' Doctor Who licensees have come together to tell an amazing epic – one that's full of monsters, fun and heart. All strands of the story unite into a mighty patchwork that ranges from one end of the universe to the next. There's more to be revealed, but the enthusiasm and ideas which the licensees have come up with are breath-taking. It's going to be such fun."

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Don't know much about Doctor Who, but that seems like a really cool idea!

Wait, I just realized that this is not gonna be a TV production in any way. Still interesting, but not for me. A story told across the medium of Vinyl and escape rooms sounds incredibly specific too. Not a lot of people will be able to follow the complete story even if they wanted to it seems.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
This could be rad. didn't they do a Time Lord Victorious story arc in a comic or something at some point? I feel like I read that.
Edit: looks like it was just some fan thing

Shows how powerful that one speech from Water of Mars was that they've built multiple expanded universe things from it lol

Last edited:

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This seems like a really bold attempt to reinvigorate the popularity of the brand world wide. The multi-platform nature could backfire but I have to admit that I'm intrigued.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
9th? Is there another voice actor that is used in place of Eccleston?
We don't know for certain that any of the Doctors will be in the audio component of this.

It's a safe bet that McGann and Tennant will be, given that they've got a history of working on Doctor Who audios, but don't hold your breath for Eccleston on audio- they might end up using one of the impersonators that Big Finish use for their Ninth Doctor plays.

Cronen

Oct 27, 2017
Will all of Ninth's stuff be comics and novels, as I can't imagine Eccleston will be involved?

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Won't happen but if Christopher Eccleston voiced even a throwaway line or two I'd be happy. And more 8th doctor stuff is good by me.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Won't happen but if Christopher Eccleston voiced even a throwaway line or two I'd be happy. And more 8th doctor stuff is good by me.
Definitely not happening. He'll never let go of that grudge, and understandably tbf.

Until January?

I wonder if it's setting up a multi-Doctor special on New Years Day.
Not if it's including Nine, but maybe the story will go in ways that makes sense to do a multi-part episode with 13, 10 and 8.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I don't expect Chris to be involved, but this is still super cool. I love the artwork:

94879119_336624966340o3kw0.jpg

94726318_429379195396j7k1o.jpg

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, eight? Did Matt Smith got shafted or he's not really into playing the Doctor anymore?

By the time of his eleventh regeneration, the Doctor really tried to just forget about the Time War.

So you've got the Eighth Doctor that fought in it and was so overwhelmed by it that he forced a regeneration into the War Doctor, who could do the things necessary to end the Time War. Then you've got the Ninth Doctor, who hates himself and is filled with immense anger because of what the War Doctor did. After that is the Tenth Doctor, whose anger and hate has turned into sorrow and regret.

I assume whatever this Time Lord Victorious thing is, it'll be the Tenth Doctor deciding he doesn't need to feel regret or sorrow for what his past self did when he can actually just fuck the rules of time travel and go back and change the past. Evidently that seems to include becoming the new ruler of the Time Lords.

Oct 25, 2017
Not if it's including Nine, but maybe the story will go in ways that makes sense to do a multi-part episode with 13, 10 and 8.

I was thinking it could end with a special with just 10 and 13. I guess I'm thinking back to the rumours that Tennant was being called in around the time they made the last series/next special. But I could see this series of tie-ins essentially being the backstory setting up 10 meeting 13.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
By the time of his eleventh regeneration, the Doctor really tried to just forget about the Time War.

So you've got the Eighth Doctor that fought in it and was so overwhelmed by it that he forced a regeneration into the War Doctor, who could do the things necessary to end the Time War. Then you've got the Ninth Doctor, who hates himself and is filled with immense anger because of what the War Doctor did. After that is the Tenth Doctor, whose anger and hate has turned into sorrow and regret.

I assume whatever this Time Lord Victorious thing is, it'll be the Tenth Doctor deciding he doesn't need to feel regret or sorrow for what his past self did when he can actually just fuck the rules of time travel and go back and change the past. Evidently that seems to include becoming the new ruler of the Time Lords.
It feels weird naming the whole event over a title he gave himself during a bitter sweet ego trip to console himself over what he'd done.

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
I just read this interview with Eccleston and he doesn't come off as angry as you all are describing him. He even says he was asked and interested in coming back for The Day of the Doctor, but wasn't into the script.

www.denofgeek.com

Why Christopher Eccleston Left Doctor Who

Christopher Eccleston says he'll only return as the Ninth Doctor if Russell T Davies is "sacked" from Doctor Who. Here's why.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Big Finish sure love their time wars, and I shall not complain.

If they somehow bag Ecclestone for audio, that would be rad.
He has at least been going to cons and seemingly having a fun time engaging with the fans at them.

Anyway this reminds me of that rad Rachael Scot 12 fan art:
xApNiuuQUoZ6BED8m1uYzZ3PkpmWahoUvnAv9aOvXgg.jpg

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The speech that "Time Lord Victorious" comes from (context: the woman in the scene was meant to die on Mars, The Doctor saves her):

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It feels weird naming the whole event over a title he gave himself during a bitter sweet ego trip to console himself over what he'd done.

I guess this is just a "what if" scenario that explores what would have happened if he hadn't been snapped back to reality. There's probably a lot more to it than just the Time War, since we can also see Rose in a weird dress with blood all over her.

Maybe the Tenth Doctor goes back and fixes all his mistakes in the most careless and cruel way possible and it's up to the Eighth and Ninth Doctors to stop him and put everything right.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just read this interview with Eccleston and he doesn't come off as angry as you all are describing him. He even says he was asked and interested in coming back for The Day of the Doctor, but wasn't into the script.

www.denofgeek.com

Christopher Eccleston says he'll only return as the Ninth Doctor if Russell T Davies is "sacked" from Doctor Who. Here's why.
I really wouldn't hold your breath.

They did a little charity piece for Children in Need last week starring all of the Doctors... apart from Eccleston.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017

www.denofgeek.com

The BBC had every living Doctor actor do an appeal for the NHS last week.... every actor except Eccleston. There's definitely bad blood.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia

www.denofgeek.com

I hadn't seen that interview before. Some interesting bits in there; in particular I had no idea he'd done a convention back in February. While I'm still betting we don't see Chris having any involvement in this new venture, it's encouraging to see he's willing to engage with the fans. I think there's still an awful lot of love for Chris and 9 in the fandom, and it'd be a shame if he never got to see any of it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Big Finish isn't allowed to use Smith until a certain amount of years have passed since his last episode, right?

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd have watched this. Escape rooms and theater on lockdown though? Seems like a bit of a silly announcement right now.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think Big Finish isn't allowed to use Smith until a certain amount of years have passed since his last episode, right?

Something like this definitely exists, though it's weird as we now have Smith-era characters both appearing in other Doctors' stories and in stand-alone stories (Kate Stewart/Osgood, the Pasternoster gang), so the deal is definitely different to before, where the entire 'RTD era' was 'unlocked' for them - monsters on down - on a certain date.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
This sounds super exciting but I'm worried that the immersive theatre and escape room segments are only going to be in the UK, and possibly the US, meaning it'll be basically impossible for me to experience

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There won't be anything plot-relevant to the escape rooms or immersive theatre stuff, I'd bet. The BBC aren't going to make their big multi-platform push unintelligible to all but a select few.

Deleted member 2085

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Am I misremembering or did the 9th Doctor believe he was the one that committed all of those horrible acts and not his War incarnation?

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Something like this definitely exists, though it's weird as we now have Smith-era characters both appearing in other Doctors' stories and in stand-alone stories (Kate Stewart/Osgood, the Pasternoster gang), so the deal is definitely different to before, where the entire 'RTD era' was 'unlocked' for them - monsters on down - on a certain date.

I thought everything up to the end of the Capaldi era was fair game, it's just a case of getting the actors back (and currently Smith and Capaldi aren't willing). Hence the River Song / Class / Paternoster stuff taking priority.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Bet Big Finish aren't allowed Capaldi himself with moderately good reason. Someone definately mentioned Smith was a BBC Worldwide thing a while ago. Bit of a shame if that still applies, should be a last but one rule IMO.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I misremembering or did the 9th Doctor believe he was the one that committed all of those horrible acts and not his War incarnation?

I believe the original plan was, yes, the Ninth Doctor did all the things the War Doctor would be responsible for later. As far as I'm aware the only reason John Hurt was even brought in was because Eccleston either refused to come back or wasn't asked to.

You can tell in the few mentions of the Time War back during Eccleston's run that it was him. He ended the Time War and his "inferno" killed everything. That was when the fear of the Doctor began, I think. The Pandorica, the Church of Silence, all of it. All the species in all of time and space, terrified of a mad man in a box because he decided one day he had had enough and he took out both sides fighting in the Time War in a single moment.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I thought everything up to the end of the Capaldi era was fair game, it's just a case of getting the actors back (and currently Smith and Capaldi aren't willing). Hence the River Song / Class / Paternoster stuff taking priority.

I dunno, Capaldi has talked in interviews about looking forward to doing Big Finish. I just think they like a certain amount of 'distance' from each Doctor before they start letting them do it. It may be everything is fair game except the Doctors and Companions, I guess. Certainly with Davies' time, everything 'unlocked' for Big Finish at once, but they made a conscious decision to stagger things.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Interesting "Star Wars" approach, I doubt Eccleston is involved.

Maybe we can finally get a Doctor Who game that isn't pants.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
9th? Is there another voice actor that is used in place of Eccleston?

Jake Dudman, most likely, although Nick Briggs has also played Eccleston for Big Finish.

(If you go back earlier in the video he has a Ten and Eleven, which he also uses for BF, along with a slightly iffy Five (which he mentions at the end as leaving to Jon (Culshaw, who has a long-established Tom and has occasionally worked with Jake))

Last edited:

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Time Lord Victorious is a brand-new multi-platform Doctor Who story told across audio, novels, comics, vinyl, digital, immersive theatre, escape rooms and games!
Multi platform immediately kills any interest I might have had.🙄

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The guy coordinating this initiative says that you don't need to jump between different media to get a full story.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I believe the original plan was, yes, the Ninth Doctor did all the things the War Doctor would be responsible for later. As far as I'm aware the only reason John Hurt was even brought in was because Eccleston either refused to come back or wasn't asked to.

You can tell in the few mentions of the Time War back during Eccleston's run that it was him. He ended the Time War and his "inferno" killed everything. That was when the fear of the Doctor began, I think. The Pandorica, the Church of Silence, all of it. All the species in all of time and space, terrified of a mad man in a box because he decided one day he had had enough and he took out both sides fighting in the Time War in a single moment.
Wait so what did the 9th Doctor actually do? He only ended the war? Or was it just him dealing with what the War Doctor did because it was technically him?