• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I see Big Finish is doing the I evitable Jack & River Song stories - three stories. One of them has Jackie Tyler as well!

Deleted member 58141

user requested account closure
Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Episode titles for the rest of the series:

Can You Hear Me?
The Haunting of Villa Diodati
Ascension of the Cybermen
The Timeless Children

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I still have a hard time understanding the dialogue at times because of the accents.

I've started having subtitles on as default these days. I find a lot of modern TV is mixed badly, with the music far too high up, but then there's things like living in a flat and watching a loud TV stresses me out, so I turn the volume down.

Give it a go.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm enjoying the new series, though being a watcher since Christopher Eccelston, the formula is becoming a little less shocking when considering a tease for something bigger than what we currently have each episode. Ultimately nothing in this series finale is going to have any kind of continued consequence in the show. Every episode saves the galaxy or world. Like, what stakes could be higher? Are companions going to be killed off? Is the Doctor going to be killed off and replaced unexpectedly? No. Is anything that happens in this finale going to have any kind of knock on effect for the character going forward? It may be mentioned once or twice in the next season. As I say, I'm enjoying this season more than I thought I would. It's just a little hard to get excited for the tease of something big when its most likely not going to change much. I could be proved wrong and I'm sure it will still be fun with the Cybermen probably being in it.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I've started having subtitles on as default these days. I find a lot of modern TV is mixed badly, with the music far too high up, but then there's things like living in a flat and watching a loud TV stresses me out, so I turn the volume down.

Give it a go.
I have noticed the loud music trend also. I thought maybe it was my setup, because often I will have the volume set to hear the dialogue and then an action scene kicks in and the mix goes from normal to blasting loud. Really annoying

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Probably unavoidable, but it is slightly funny that episode 9's title essentially deflates any/all tension of what will presumably be episode 8's climax and Jack's threat of the 'Lone Cyberman'.

Ultimately nothing in this series finale is going to have any kind of continued consequence in the show.

Well....
People may not like it, and it might end up getting as quickly forgotten as it was included, but I'm fairly sure they'll be something lore-changing in the finale.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's a new trailer on the Twitter page, and we get a good look at the new Cybermen.

They look cracking- like a chunky, modern take on The Invasion versions, which are clearly the best ones. Earmuffs forever.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's a new trailer on the Twitter page, and we get a good look at the new Cybermen.

They look cracking- like a chunky, modern take on The Invasion versions, which are clearly the best ones. Earmuffs forever.

I haven't seen the new doctor yet but i like that trailer.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
singsong cybermen will always be tops to me
Moffat's observation that the Mondasian Cybermen are functionally a different monster to the rest of them always struck me as pretty insightful, to be honest. They're almost entirely different, from conception on up, to what we have today- part of the reason why bringing them back for World Enough and Time was such a good idea.

These are comfortably the best modern Cybermen, though.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Doctor sure loves bringing random people onto the Tardis this season.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to feel about that episode. It was interesting but it had the problem episodes of this era usually have where the pacing is weird and everything just gets resolved too quickly. The companion parts were interesting but it's hard to care as much when they're non-entities most of the time. At least felt unique in a way most episodes haven't.

Also they were totally setting up the companions leaving at the end of this season.

Edit: I really hope the next episode delivers on the cheesiness that the preview seemed to have.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
It's frustrating it was so languid because it was a good episode otherwise. If that had been an RTD or Moffat episode it would have been punchy and very effective. In the hands of Chibnall it was too chilled out though still decent. The climax was a bit off, just needed a bit more oomph about the villains being defeated to round it all off.

Also, Orphan 55 continues to haunt this season like a spooky ghost.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed the episode until the conclusion with the baddies. They were one moment a serious threat and the other we were getting flashbacks and the conclusion. Such an odd conclusion...

Oct 25, 2017
The mental health help videos at the end have basically nothing to do with the monster plot?

Weird episode, Opened out fairly well then just got so bogged down in technobabble that I just zoned out. And I don't really want to complain about the ending clips but they just felt so disconnected from anything else. Like it was clear they were going for a mental health angle from the start, but they really didn't do enough to earn them.

Should have been more about the nightmares the cast were given rather than a few seconds of clips that the Doctor fixes with a wave of the sonic.

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
I have given this era all the patience I have to give, and I am at breaking point. My fandom is literally hanging on by a single thread, and that is to see if the Ruth arc is going to play out as rumoured.

If it does, I officially am moving on from Doctor Who and wish it all the best. What was the narrative point of both last week's and tonight's episode? All it feels like is that they are vehicles to say, hey, we pollute the environment so please stop, and it's ok to be depressed and talk. We are humans and we are all awesome! It's just agenda first, then everything after.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
Oh come on, it's good that the episode tackled mental health and depression and telling people that it's okay to talk about it because it's such a big killer in society today. Jeez.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I have given this era all the patience I have to give, and I am at breaking point. My fandom is literally hanging on by a single thread, and that is to see if the Ruth arc is going to play out as rumoured.

If it does, I officially am moving on from Doctor Who and wish it all the best. What was the narrative point of both last week's and tonight's episode? All it feels like is that they are vehicles to say, hey, we pollute the environment so please stop, and it's ok to be depressed and talk. We are humans and we are all awesome! It's just agenda first, then everything after.

Oh please, they aren't putting an "agenda" first. They want to talk about different issues and there's nothing wrong with that. There's still full narratives in each episode even if they aren't paced well but the nightmare theme in this episode allowed them to show a bit more of that flashback for the Doctor in a more natural way.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Dr Who's always had an 'agenda' - the Daleks were an anti-facism parallel, and Planet of Giants in 1964 warned about the dangers of pollution.

Good episode, and nice to see the Guardians and the Toymaker namedropped - Zellim would fit right alongside them.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not a huge fan of the edutainment aspect of Chibnall's era but thought it worked OK tonight. Execution could have been better - the content could have been better seeded throughout the episode instead of shoved in after the climax - but conceptually it was fine. It's a good thing for the show to cover and gelled well enough in the Vincent episode previously.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Oh come on, it's good that the episode tackled mental health and depression and telling people that it's okay to talk about it because it's such a big killer in society today. Jeez.
Yeah, that's my takeaway. Can't complain about something saying it's ok to be anxious or out of sorts and not have to suffer through it alone.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Good creepy episode. Toymaker, Guardians and Eternals were interesting name drops. I thought he might be the Meddling Monk at first. Shame the resolution was too rushed after an interesting build-up. Maybe an episode featuring literal gods would have been better served as a 2-parter. Enjoyed the character-focused scenes at the end. Feels like a setup for the companions leaving at the end of the season.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it definitely felt as if it was meant to be a two parter at one point, with the midpoint when the Doctor gets captured. Then it got a bit messy, and the resolution to beating the bad guys went too quick and was the usual "humans are too special and sonic trickery", but the last part of the episode was genuinely well written I thought and was actually emotional. I enjoyed the animated sequence of the villains backstory too.

There's a lot about it I liked, but like a few others said it didn't fully work as a whole. Hard for me to put into words why. Combination of pacing, music and direction I think. My favourite end character moments were Yas and Graham's. Really well done and its what has been mostly missing these past 2 seasons.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched the last 2 episodes. Really liked both, and next week's preview looks right up my alley.

Praxeus - Liked all the globe-hopping, and I was really happy that the hot gay cop and astronaut couple survived. Love a happy ending! Thanks Doc for giving a shit and not ditching them like that mother and daughter on Orphan 55~

Can you hear me? - Gotta love how hilariously quick the Doctor can squash a villainous god or two. Like the idea of exploring the character's worst fears. Somehow even Ryan's worst nightmares are boring, but Graham was on point as usual. And well done Yaz, get that character development!

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I quite enjoyed this episode. It does seem like it was suppose to be written for 2 episodes but had to cut it down a lot. Looking forward to next week!

Krathoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. She imprisoned the gods a little to easily. To be honest, I really did not get how she did it. She used that ball thingy.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know anything about what's been going on BTS, that could explain why certain episodes seem as if they were originally intended as two-parters; why the pacing is off in a few off the episodes, and why some episodes seem like an amalgamation of two stories and those two stories don't seem to fit smoothly?

I mean was there some major change, that resulted in episodes being rewritten or something?

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Do we know anything about what's been going on BTS, that could explain why certain episodes seem as if they were originally intended as two-parters; why the pacing is off in a few off the episodes, and why some episodes seem like an amalgamation of two stories and those two stories don't seem to fit smoothly?

I mean was there some major change, that resulted in episodes being rewritten or something?

Not a solid explanation but it is known that pretty much all scripts were rewritten in some form by RTD & Moffat through their eras, but only saw to credit themselves if the contribution was major. Chibs has been credited as co-writer on the last three. Episode 4 was easily the most focused of the standalone episodes so far and it was a solo credit - written by a former script editor. Yet you also have Judoon which seems like something Chibnall could have written himself but Vinay Patel is also credited.

I do believe it has been explained that there has been more of a "writer's room" setup for the Chibs era. I would argue it has made everything outside of the showrunner episodes more consistent, just not in a good way.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This season is definitely an improvement over the last one and it does show glimmers of what made me love Doctor Who in the past.

It's not back to the highs it once was, but it's nowhere near the lows it was last year

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Not a solid explanation but it is known that pretty much all scripts were rewritten in some form by RTD & Moffat through their eras, but only saw to credit themselves if the contribution was major. Chibs has been credited as co-writer on the last three. Episode 4 was easily the most focused of the standalone episodes so far and it was a solo credit - written by a former script editor. Yet you also have Judoon which seems like something Chibnall could have written himself but Vinay Patel is also credited.

I do believe it has been explained that there has been more of a "writer's room" setup for the Chibs era. I would argue it has made everything outside of the showrunner episodes more consistent, just not in a good way.

Ah ok, thanks.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Solid. Felt very out there.

These gods really did get squashed easily by a sonic screwdriver.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I felt this episode would have been great as two parts. Does a wonderful job telling us about the companions but the eternals, whatever they were, didn't have long enough to be a threat. Entertaining enough.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Solid episode. Its the first new episode that has its own identity, doesn't rest its laurels on the RTD Era, has a very important allegory wrapped up in a story of Gods and Monsters like its an ancient greek tragedy(especially with the Constellation bit), and it's the first time in NuWho that actually made me feel bad about the companions and the consequences of being the Doctor's companions. Shame that its one episode out of 20 that really left a mark, but that's better than nothing I guess.