• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
They did it with the Master too. As soon as Sacha was revealed as the Master there were all kinds of clips on Youtube, Twitter and Facebook. This is the new way they market the show, I guess.

I also didn't see that. I guess I'm glad I don't follow their posts. But you said as soon as, meaning they didn't spoil it beforehand?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
DVR spins count more or less as much as the live ratings nowadays.

Sadly, this week is where I get off for the season. My YouTube TV subscription just expired and I don't feel like paying for it, so I won't be able to keep up with the season unless I buy it on Amazon or whatever. :|

I also didn't see that. I guess I'm glad I don't follow their posts. But you said as soon as, meaning they didn't spoil it beforehand?

The videos started popping up right after the episode aired in the US. So they at least waited until the US air time to start posting about it.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh, no :v
This is rubbish!
But Hans Zimmer's finest song too.

giphy.gif

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I can't imagine them putting so much marketing on Jack only for it to end with the cameo.

All they did was put out a tweet. But, we know Chibnall said he wouldn't be back "this series", but they filmed the Christmas episode, which isn't part of this series, in the same production run as these episodes. So there's one filmed episode in the can that is technically part of the next series, and Barrowman totally could've filmed some bits for that at the same time as filming for this week's episode.

Christmas episode speculation/enemy spoilers--
'This series' is exactly the same thing Chibnall said about Daleks... but they did very public filming in Cardiff this year with both the new 'recon' style scrap metal Dalek and the RTD-era Time War ones. In fact, Chibnall came out and said that immediately after long-lens photos of the filming showed up in the press, I guess to control expectation. So, presumably, that's the Christmas 2020 Episode, which they've already filmed but isn't technically part of 'this series'. So maybe that'll be where Jack crops back up.

Alternatively, I can totally see him not showing up again until next year proper now. They managed to film his return and keep it a secret by filming only on one enclosed indoor set. For him to show up in a story proper, there probably needs to be both indoor and outdoor filming, and so it's harder to keep the secret. So... film him on an enclosed set for a glorified cameo for his return, have him tease deeper involvement, and then the following year film with him in public for a more full 'return'. It makes perfect sense.

It's sorta like - Jack would've made a great surprise return for Series 3, and they totally could've filmed Utopia in secret as almost all of it is indoors and then the one major outdoor scene could've been discretely filmed by the Torchwood team as part of that show (which, obviously, is no longer an option). But then he has to do loads of on-location outdoor scenes in the following two episodes, so they had to announce it ahead of time. See also stuff like the return of River being announced the very day before she stepped out on set to film the outdoor bits of the series 5 angels episodes... so to truly hide a character, you have to limit their utility.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
All they did was put out a tweet. But, we know Chibnall said he wouldn't be back "this series", and that's exactly the same thing Chibnall said about Daleks... but they did very public filming in Cardiff this year with both the new 'recon' style scrap metal Dalek and the RTD-era Time War ones. In fact, Chibnall came out and said that immediately after long-lens photos of the filming showed up in the press, I guess to control expectation. So, presumably, that's the Christmas 2020 Episode, which they've already filmed but isn't technically part of 'this series'. So maybe that'll be where Jack crops back up.

Alternatively, I can totally see him not showing up again until next year proper now. They managed to film his return and keep it a secret by filming only on one enclosed indoor set. For him to show up in a story proper, there probably needs to be both indoor and outdoor filming, and so it's harder to keep the secret. So... film him on an enclosed set for a glorified cameo for his return, have him tease deeper involvement, and then the following year film with him in public for a more full 'return'. It makes perfect sense.
The official Facebook page for Doctor Who has this up:

So like there is some money behind it

Edit: it is a shirt with Jack on it

Coiote

Oct 25, 2017
Finally a good episode. I think I would like it more if I watched it blind, but Doctor Who kinda sucks right now. I can't just waste my time watching the bad episodes.

I guess we are dealing with a multiverse this season, right? No way our Doctor would be so callous with life like this one.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely could be confusing for a lot of people, but I was suspecting the Chameleon Arch pretty early on. Really reminded me of Human Nature.

Same here. Especially when they scanned them and showed they were human even though we knew more was going on.

Can't belive I waited to tonight to watch this and somehow didn't get spoiled. I heard something that didn't stick, just that something big was up.

And and lord did I get excited when I heard Barrowman's voice!

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
IMO, there is definately deliberately Something Up with RuthDoctor's characterisation. The fact they came up with a black female secret incarnation of the Doctor and then made her unusually unlikable is weird. I refuse to believe Chibnall, who has made diversity one of the big themes of his tenure, did some accidental racist characterisation. She's like that for a reason.

I liked her a lot, myself. Loved the clash in arrogance between the two.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I deliberately used a qualifier before unlikable to qualify the meaning of the word and then wrote a whole extra post clarifying what I meant. It's starting to feel like you're all being deliberately obtuse now. This is an internet forum, I'd recommend not going OTT over-analysing someone's choice of vocabulary when they're just tapping out thoughts on the bus to work.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I replied as I read, I hadn't read any later responses and I'm not critical of your view, just expressing my own reaction.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I fucking hate the BBC's new communication policy. They aren't even subtle! I think I'll unfollow them.
I also love what they have done with the show even though it feels to me they are trying to ape Moffat.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry if I expressed myself poorly. I just meant I disliked the way the Doctor Who social media accounts make impossible to miss big spoilery pictures about the reveals not even a day after an episode airs.
The second part of my post was communicating my impression that the writers are trying to imitate what Moffat did on the show.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Just caught up, i'm definitely interested in where this series is going. That was a hell of a good episode.

I suspect whatever is up with Ruth-Doctor, she grew up on Gallifrey and was a kid at some point and is/is connected to whatever the Timeless Child is. Based solely on the brief snippet of flashback we get to the Remnants episode when The Master mentioned The Timeless child a few episodes ago.

7iBGXgA.gif

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
You are just describing The Doctor.
Sure but at the very least it means they're retconning what we've already seen of the Doctor as a child. Like I specifically mean that Martin's iteration is more directly connected to that stuff than Whittaker's iteration is.

I think she's earlier than the other Doctors we've seen unless at some point The Doctor regenerated into a kid.

Last edited:

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Aside for the big surprises, the latest episode was just plain well-written. Perhaps the first great episode of this incarnation.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else been watching the season 26 BD set?

The JNT piece on the bonus disc is excellent but very sad. BBC did not treat him well from the 80s on.

Going to watch the extended Ghostlight workprint tomorrow.

Oct 25, 2017
I just enjoy the subtext of "you hated the Doctor being a woman? We got two now!". And the new performance is very much in line with the old 'passive aggressive is my game, The Doctor is my name' type doctor.

Also that 'a bit cheesy' comment on Barrowman. :D

So, that lone Cyberman is going to have to be Bill, right? I do hope the writing for this episode is a sign of better things to come. Not that I had an issue with Tesla vs Edison (the selected actors were nice), but that whole 'and now for a history lesson' type plotting isn't really that exciting to me.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I just enjoy the subtext of "you hated the Doctor being a woman? We got two now!". And the new performance is very much in line with the old 'passive aggressive is my game, The Doctor is my name' type doctor.

So, that lone Cyberman is going to have to be Bill, right? I do hope the writing for this episode is a sign of better things to come. Not that I had an issue with Tesla vs Edison (the selected actors were nice), but that whole 'and now for a history lesson' type plotting isn't really that exciting to me.
I doubt it, especially given Jack's warning.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I'm getting more of an RTD vibe this season.
Yeah Chinball fucked up spectacularly last season and probably said fuck it, I'll ape RTD till the end of my run people at least will like that approach. I mean its working for me, but god does it feel creatively bankrupt, down to the Doctor reveal feeling like an abridged version of the Jacobi Master.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

Bill is exploring the universe with Heather as a puddle isn't she? I think Cyberman Brigadier is still alive.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it, especially given Jack's warning.

I'm expecting a type of 'good man' drama on the whole "lone" part. Maybe I'm still stuck in Moffat-mode.

Bill is exploring the universe with Heather as a puddle isn't she? I think Cyberman Brigadier is still alive.

Her soul is, I believe, but the way I recall it is that her body effectively remained an OG (solo) Cybermen. It's been too long for me to recall correctly though, and I'm not a re-watcher just for details.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That started slow but I really enjoyed it by the end. The environmental message was a lot better integrated into the story than in Orphan 55, but I'm sure there will be plenty who will complain preachy politics have gotten into their sci-fi again.

Oct 25, 2017
Actually really liked that one. Think the final act maybe felt a bit rushed, but around half way through I started fearing another Power of Three, and it wasn't nearly that bad.

Whilst the companions had a bit more to do this time around, Graham in particular, I feel like every episode this season has had them overshadowed by a much stronger episodic supporting cast.

And was that a Slitheen claw in the next time trailer lol

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
That started slow but I really enjoyed it by the end. The environmental message was a lot better integrated into the story than in Orphan 55, but I'm sure there will be plenty who will complain preachy politics have gotten into their sci-fi again.
Don't forget the uproar that will happen because some people can't stand seeing two men kiss.

I can already see the D*ly M*il headlines

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
It wasn't quite as bad as Orphan 55 but there were some really naff moments in that like Graham magically gaining the power to sort out an IV drip because dialogue acknowledged that... he couldn't really do it?

And a shot of a woman exploding right in front of the Doctor cutting to a shot of the Doctor not physically reacting to someone exploding right in front of her at all.

Just lots of off-feeling bits. I didn't rate it at all tbh.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
And was that a Slitheen claw in the next time trailer lol
Doesn't look it. The monster appears to be called the Chagaskas

From the synopsis:

From ancient Syria to present-day Sheffield and out into the wilds of space, something is stalking the Doctor and her friends… As Graham, Yaz and Ryan return home to see friends and family, they find themselves haunted by very different experiences. Who is the figure calling from beyond the stars for help, and why? And what are the fearsome Chagaskas terrorising Aleppo in 1380? To find the answers, Team TARDIS must embark on a mission which forces them to face their darkest fears.