• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely the best Jodie episode by a WIDE margin. If they can keep the quality at at least half this episode then I will be a happy camper. It's made sticking through the last series worth it.

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
"More aggressive"? The Doctor has always had that streak. And this Doctor just lost a clearly beloved companion...
Sure I just think this era still has a weird uneven sense of morality. Like, when 13 berates Ruth for using a gun, are we meant to side with 13 and think "Yeah, the Doctor never uses guns! (expect when she does)" or are we meant to side with Ruth and think "Hey! 13's being a hypocrite!". To me, even though you could potentially envisage a lot of Doctors doing the reverse-fire gun trick, the moment seemed to be played as if it was a shocking thing for RuthDoctor to have done. But I still can't get a sense of whether it was meant to be shocking because the Doctor would never do it, or shocking because 13 would never do it. Does that make sense?

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
IMO, there is definately deliberately Something Up with RuthDoctor's characterisation. The fact they came up with a black female secret incarnation of the Doctor and then made her unusually unlikable is weird. I refuse to believe Chibnall, who has made diversity one of the big themes of his tenure, did some accidental racist characterisation. She's like that for a reason.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda upset that AbbyShot lost their Doctor Who license because I would have loved to buy their take on RuthDoctor's coat. They always did such quality Doctor Who replica pieces.

Lazymanschair

Jan 27, 2018
Loved this episode, and the reveal was fascinating, I hope it's something unexpected, can't wait for that storyline to continue and to see more of doctor Ruth, she was fantastic

It would be cool if Ruth was the doctor and after being captured by the timelords lost the title and it was given to the our doctor, she becomes the master, Could explain why he was so furious with gallifrey and Ruth being a bit more ruthless with the gun backfire.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Staring at Ruth's jacket thinking 'It has eight buttons on each side, what does that mean?'

This episode has broken me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this episode, and the reveal was fascinating, I hope it's something unexpected, can't wait for that storyline to continue and to see more of doctor Ruth, she was fantastic

It would be cool if Ruth was the doctor and after being captured by the timelords lost the title and it was given to the our doctor, she becomes the master, Could explain why he was so furious with gallifrey and Ruth being a bit more ruthless with the gun backfire.

I don't know if that would work since the Sonic did insinuate that they're the same life form. I still don't know why 13 didn't try to scan to see how old Ruth is though, that would've cleared everything up.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I thought i was on drugs by the end of the episode. Thought it was going to play out like the Christmas Special the next doctor. I want at least one episode with Ruth/Doctor, Capt Jack and Missy.

Lazymanschair

Jan 27, 2018
I don't know if that would work since the Sonic did insinuate that they're the same life form. I still don't know why 13 didn't try to scan to see how old Ruth is though, that would've cleared everything up.
Forgot that, yeah you're right, they scanned as the same person, unless there was a previous cycle of doctors and there was a mind wipe at some point, it's all fascinating, can't wait for more,

oh and that Tardis was gorgeous

Oct 25, 2017
Sure I just think this era still has a weird uneven sense of morality. Like, when 13 berates Ruth for using a gun, are we meant to side with 13 and think "Yeah, the Doctor never uses guns! (expect when she does)" or are we meant to side with Ruth and think "Hey! 13's being a hypocrite!". To me, even though you could potentially envisage a lot of Doctors doing the reverse-fire gun trick, the moment seemed to be played as if it was a shocking thing for RuthDoctor to have done. But I still can't get a sense of whether it was meant to be shocking because the Doctor would never do it, or shocking because 13 would never do it. Does that make sense?

11 literally does a reverse gun fire trick on a cyberman

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Ruth has a way nicer looking TARDIS than 13.

Yeah, Ruth's TARDIS definitely looks sleeker, both with it being more tight and in the overall design. Thirteen's looks like Eleven's puked on Ten's, and the result ain't exactly great. Not to mention it really doesn't jive at all with her, what with Eleven and Twelve making strong points of having their TARDISes evoke their own characters.

Thirteen is easily the most good of the modern Doctors, and is arguably the Doctor's most good incarnation since Five: she's well-mannered, very empathetic, really into family bonds, eager to teach others, and is both the most morally white and is defined heavily by her nervous awkwardness than anything else. She has yet to truly snap the way the previous four have (hell, this episode has Yaz treating the Doctor snarking harder at Ryan as her going over the line), and she's only briefly hinted at the ego that's normally carried through their incarnations. Overall she comes off as a heavily defanged rendition of the Doctor, especially here with Ruth giving us a Doctor with a chip on their shoulder.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It was only "shocking" because it lacked context, in that we knew so little about the villain. Had the show been following the Ruth-Doctor up to that point, it would have had a very different feel (and 13, if this was the first we were seeing of her, would come across as a very different character).

Had we been following the Ruth-Doctor, we would have also just seen the villain vaporise a loyal, longstanding companion.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Wait I just realized, another weird thing about the Ruth Doctor would be this would be the first time we've ever seen the Doctor romantically involved with someone male IIRC.

And if Ruth is actually the same Doctor of the same timeline then Clara should have seen her going into the Doctor's time stream.

edit: Chibnall says there's no parallel universe going on with the Doctor and Jack won't be back this series, big ugh

I wouldn't be surprised if Jack was in the Christmas special this year. If there will be one.

Last edited:

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they brought back fan-favorite, Captain Jack....

And I just wanted that B-Plot to end and get back to the more interesting story.

That was a really good setup episode, and I really liked Doctor-Ruth. If alternate timeline is out, then she would have to be from the future if she is in fact The Doctor. I just can't see them retconing in ANOTHER past Doctor. They got away with it once.

I'm thinking she might be someone else. They brought back Jack, what if they're bringing back someone else. Died down a bit, but I remember when new-who started up, people were wondering if they'd bring back Romana or Susan.

Side Note: It's really frustrating that the Doctors don't ask the most obvious question. Either "how many regenerations", or more simply, "What were you like before this regeneration".

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely LOVED this episode. I am glad i was not spoiled at all. So glad the Capt Jack cameo overshadowed the real spoiler stuff. I'm glad the writers kept some info back about the new Doctor. We dont need all the info upfront now. let people stay confused until the season finale. I had to watch a few reaction videos and seeing everyone's reaction of the tardis in the grave was perfect. Though there were some salty reactions about Ruth.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe they brought back fan-favorite, Captain Jack....

And I just wanted that B-Plot to end and get back to the more interesting story.

That was a really good setup episode, and I really liked Doctor-Ruth. If alternate timeline is out, then she would have to be from the future if she is in fact The Doctor. I just can't see them retconing in ANOTHER past Doctor. They got away with it once.

I'm thinking she might be someone else. They brought back Jack, what if they're bringing back someone else. Died down a bit, but I remember when new-who started up, people were wondering if they'd bring back Romana or Susan.

Side Note: It's really frustrating that the Doctors don't ask the most obvious question. Either "how many regenerations", or more simply, "What were you like before this regeneration".

So just a random thought, but what if it's The Doctor's clone daughter? Took up her parent's moniker after a few regenerations? Also fully trained for combat? Eh? Eeehhh?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Ok now I'm certain the endtimes are here

EPdCVv_UEAk4MSo

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
IMO, there is definately deliberately Something Up with RuthDoctor's characterisation. The fact they came up with a black female secret incarnation of the Doctor and then made her unusually unlikable is weird. I refuse to believe Chibnall, who has made diversity one of the big themes of his tenure, did some accidental racist characterisation. She's like that for a reason.
Unlikable?

I really liked her. She's more ruthless than the current incarnation, but not by much and certainly not anymore than previous incarnations.

Oct 26, 2017
I love the Judoon. Captain Jack feels odd given his aged appearance and noticeably dyed black hair. I know his agelessness is a whole thing but stilll...

And I need to see more of this other Doctor before I make up my mind.

Did you not see how ruthless the others have been? Tennant's Doctor almost went on a manic genocidal spree at times until he was pulled back from the brink. This one having shades of that would make sense if she's far into the Doctor's past. That aspect of the Doctor's psyche wouldn't have come from nowhere.

The Doctor going off on one seems to be consistent with the character AFTER he/she has given them a chance to change their ways.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Unlikable?

I really liked her. She's more ruthless than the current incarnation, but not by much and certainly not anymore than previous incarnations.
Yeah, I thought she was quite awesome. She appears to be more rough than 13, but I thought that was actually quite badass - and I'm dying to know more about her. I'm really intrigued to get to know what her story is and what she's lived through. Just based on the few minutes with her, I'm more interested in her portrayal of the Doctor than 13 to be honest.

Here's hoping they don't play some alternate universe or clone nonsense, which would degrade her to a "not really Doctor".

I sorta wish they'd just dump all these worthless companions and make the next series revolve entirely around 13 and Ruth. Having two Doctors could lead to some fun dynamics when both of them are used to be the smartest person in the room.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I love the Judoon. Captain Jack feels odd given his aged appearance and noticeably dyed black hair. I know his agelessness is a whole thing but stilll...

And I need to see more of this other Doctor before I make up my mind.

jack can't DIE
he can still age ... that is how the face of boe thing is implied to happen: aging way more than a normal human would

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
And if Ruth is actually the same Doctor of the same timeline then Clara should have seen her going into the Doctor's time stream

To be fair it's not like Doctor Who hasn't hastily written around this shit before. The War Doctor is literally introduced as a missing regeneration on the basis of "well he wasn't calling himself The Doctor then lol". And then Twelve is teased under the pretense of "No, sir! All thirteen!" despite Eleven's finale literally being on how he has no regenerations left.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a bit bad for 13, getting completely decimated in fashion sense by Doctor Ruth.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Y'all can take your dossier of GIFs of out of context snippets of Doctors acting out of character and shove it up your bums. Ruth Doctor spends almost the entirety of her first appearance (after being restored) being arsey to the Doctor and waving a gun around. Her introduction is so moody and dark it wouldn't have been a shock if she'd said 'Hello, I'm the Master'. And yeah they go out of the way to provide context (she's being haunted by some kind of 'job' that she didn't choose) and make sure she doesn't do any War Doctor-style going over the line (as mentioned the gun thing isn't that unusual and makes it clear to 13 she's playacting waving the gun at the Judoon). But it's an oddly untriumphant outing for a new Doctor, particularly one that is obviously a big equality win. You wouldn't see a Doctor act like her in a post-regeneration episode kicking off a new era. I think her characterisation is deliberately more gritty because of whatever is going on with the overarching plot.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I ended up listening to some Murray Gold Doctor Who music the past day and I had forgotten how good the music was and how strong their recurring themes were. Makes the contrast to this current era stand out a lot more when I can't remember any of the music.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Who is this Ian Levine and why it is a plot twist that he likes it?

Well known cranky old Who fan. From the TARDIS wiki:

Ian Levine has made several contributions to Doctor Who. He composed the theme music for K9 and Company, contributed to Doctor Who: The Unfolding Text and was the unofficial continuity consultant for Doctor Who in the 1980s, apparently leaving after the casting of Bonnie Langford.[1] He was co-producer of Downtime and for a while collaborated with the Doctor Who Restoration Team on DVD releases of older stories. He was one of the earliest advocates for the BBC to formally begin the process of recovering missing episodes. In the documentary, The Missing Years, he credits himself with personally saving the entirety of The Daleks from destruction by BBC Enterprises. He was also the producer of the 1985 charity single Doctor in Distress and released it on his label, Record Shack Records.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
*shrug* I didn't see it. Can't imagine a SM costs that much.

Also bullshit on them for doing that. I'm glad I didn't see it, I loved the feeling of the surprise. I hate when stuff is spoiled like that.

They did it with the Master too. As soon as Sacha was revealed as the Master there were all kinds of clips on Youtube, Twitter and Facebook. This is the new way they market the show, I guess.