• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I can't imagine them putting so much marketing on Jack only for it to end with the cameo.

I mean, it's a setup for next year, I suppose. But also they've already filmed this year's Christmas Special, and Jack could totally be in that. But I imagine he'll be back next year. However, Chibnall does say to not expect him back "this series"... and... Spoilers for the Christmas Special villain

Chibnall warned people there wouldn't be Daleks "this series" as well - which makes sense, as though pictures emerged of Jodie Whittaker filming with a small platoon made up of both the Resolution style 'Recon' Dalek and the RTD/Time War era gold Daleks earlier in the year, they've filmed the Christmas Special so we have to assume that's from that, so they technically indeed aren't in this series.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The TARDIS thing is weird because ... nobody said it was stuck

Maybe it turned into a police box because ... it was in london =P

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Last episode did 4.21 million overnight, up from Tesla's 4.04 million. AI was 83, the highest this season and equal best for Jodie/Chibs along with The Woman Who Fell to Earth, Rosa and Arachnids.

Tesla's final rating was 5.20 million.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I don't understand how Chibnall can say Jack isn't back this series when Jack specifically mentions an event about the Cybermen which would be difficult for him to know about without being there because that episode is taking place in the past

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

There is a police box in Sheffield city centre. A green one! So you could use that disguise in the modern day, but it'd be a bit weird because they're very, very rare sights.

Sheffield_police_Box.png

I always smile when I walk past it. My headcanon is that it belongs to an eco Time Lord, like an amalgamation of the Seventh Doctor and Radagast the Brown.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

In, like, one of the very first episodes of the series...

DOCTOR: It's still a police box. Why hasn't it changed? Dear, dear, how very disturbing.

(The Doctor collects his rock samples, watched by the primitive man. Barbara comes across an animal skull in the sand)

BARBARA: What do you think it could be? Ian, look at this.

IAN: I don't know. It hasn't got any horns or antlers. Could be a horse. Could be anything. Incredible. A police box in the midst of. Oh, it just doesn't make sense.

SUSAN: It should have changed. Wonder why it hasn't happened this time.

BARBARA: The ship, you mean?

SUSAN: Yes, it's been an Ionic column and a sedan chair.

BARBARA: Disguising itself wherever it goes.

SUSAN: Yes, that's right. But it hasn't happened this time. I wonder why not.

And, if we're talking in the new show, in the first episode of the revived series...

ROSE: What's a police public call box?

DOCTOR: It's a telephone box from the 1950s. It's a disguise.

And then a few episodes later...

MICKEY: Wait, the Tardis, we can't just leave it. Doesn't it get noticed?

JACK: Yeah, what's with the police box? Why does it look like that?

ROSE: It's a cloaking device.

DOCTOR: It's called a chameleon circuit. The Tardis is meant to disguise itself wherever it lands, like if this was Ancient Rome, it'd be a statue on a plinth or something. But I landed in the 1960s, it disguised itself as a police box, and the circuit got stuck.

MICKEY: So it copied a real thing? There actually was police boxes?

DOCTOR: Yeah, on street corners. Phone for help before they had radios and mobiles. If they arrested someone, they could shove them inside till help came, like a little prison cell.

JACK: Why don't you just fix the circuit?

DOCTOR: I like it, don't you?

ROSE: I love it.

MICKEY: But that's what I meant. There's no police boxes anymore, so doesn't it get noticed?

DOCTOR: Ricky, let me tell you something about the human race. You put a mysterious blue box slap bang in the middle of town, what do they do? Walk past it. Now, stop your nagging. Let's go and explore.

So, yeah, it was supposed to be - as the first set of quotes makes clear - that when the Doctor landed in London '63 for the very first episode, it disguised itself as a box... and then broke. Which is why the first time they visit another time period in the show, the Doctor and Susan are perplexed that it hasn't changed to fit where/when they are. Then he just never gets around to fixing it.

I think at some point in Classic Who he actually temporarily fixes it in order to use the cloaking properly for something (vs the Master, I think) and then deliberately re-breaks it in order to keep the police box.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
This series is at least acting more like it has something resembling a pre-Chibnall budget, though it does still significantly pale to the Moffat era using CG like a higher-budgeted CW show. Moffat really did just take all the money when he left, and it's a damn shame with respect to the current status of the show.
Yeah, his later series especially looked fantastic.

vpSPHCg.jpg

TYEuWZu.jpg

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is, she'll probably end up as "technically" the Doctor, so does it really count for diversity? A PoC Doctor deserves a full series, ffs.

It's interesting because, to a certain degree, they now kind of have to cast a PoC 14th Doctor otherwise this won't be a great look. Proclaiming to have your first black Doctor, who is kind of an offshoot/non-main role, and then go back to having a new, white Doctor for 14 would just not come off well (regardless of the fact a PoC Doctor is long overdue anyway).

Also, I hope they tread real careful with the idea that this Doctor is somehow 'unrefined' or more aggressive than other incarnations given that, if she is indeed the very first, it would be very easy to draw the implication that the Doctor becomes white and thus 'more civilised' which urgghh.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Murray's music wasn't always perfect, sometimes I thought it just got too bombastic, but goddamn is The Shepard's Boy a beautiful track. I don't think we'll be getting anything like that out of Who again anytime soon

Which reminds me I'm kind of disappointed they chose not to carry over any themes from that era. This is Gallifrey really should've just become a permanent part of the show if you ask me and I just kept waiting for a reference to the Torchwood theme when Jack appeared... but no, nothing. Idk, just a few musical callbacks would be nice

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
There is a police box in Sheffield city centre. A green one! So you could use that disguise in the modern day, but it'd be a bit weird because they're very, very rare sights.

Sheffield_police_Box.png

I always smile when I walk past it. My headcanon is that it belongs to an eco Time Lord, like an amalgamation of the Seventh Doctor and Radagast the Brown.

But she implies to have started the chameleon circuit like at least a decade before ....

In, like, one of the very first episodes of the series...

And, if we're talking in the new show, in the first episode of the revived series...

And then a few episodes later...

So, yeah, it was supposed to be - as the first set of quotes makes clear - that when the Doctor landed in London '63 for the very first episode, it disguised itself as a box... and then broke. Which is why the first time they visit another time period in the show, the Doctor and Susan are perplexed that it hasn't changed to fit where/when they are. Then he just never gets around to fixing it.

I think at some point in Classic Who he actually temporarily fixes it in order to use the cloaking properly for something (vs the Master, I think) and then deliberately re-breaks it in order to keep the police box.

What i meant is that nothing stops the TARDIS to have taken a police box form before, chameleon circuited to other stuff AND THEN landed in the 60's and got stuck in the police box.

Like if Ruth is a pre-first doctor than nothing proves that HER tardis is stuck in the police box.... it could be just what the WORKING chameleon circuit got it when it landed in the time she left the lighthouse.

Hell, if she was working for the time lords ...it is SHOWN in the "clara meet the first doctor" scene that when he was about to steal the TARDIS there were multiple ones there so maybe it is not even the same tardis =P

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
What i meant is that nothing stops the TARDIS to have taken a police box form before, chameleon circuited to other stuff AND THEN landed in the 60's and got stuck in the police box.
Maybe TARDISs have preinstalled chameleon settings when they leave the factory. Earth + human civilisation = police box, even if you land in Ancient Rome.

The Master's is a newer model with a wider range of settings.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just hopped over to Galiifrey Base for the first time in a while and people seem to be positive on S12. Feels different for GB.

Flounder

Oct 28, 2017
My memory of past episodes is a bit fuzzy but is this a possibility? Doctor Ruth is actually the regeneration from John Hurt's War Doctor, you don't actually see him regenerate into Eccleston, it cuts out:

Ruth certainly acts more like a warrior than a doctor. I know it doesn't fit with the number of regenerations the Doctor has left but I (personally) prefer this to the pre-Hartnoll or an alternate dimension Doctor theories.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Also, I hope they tread real careful with the idea that this Doctor is somehow 'unrefined' or more aggressive than other incarnations given that, if she is indeed the very first, it would be very easy to draw the implication that the Doctor becomes white and thus 'more civilised' which urgghh.
"More aggressive"? The Doctor has always had that streak. And this Doctor just lost a clearly beloved companion...

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if we should take the horn bit as reflective of Ruth's true personality as opposed to the kind of thing she could do it she didn't have the presence of mind to hold herself back. The booby-trapped gun thing I could imagine a suitably pissed off Doctor doing-- maybe a bit more explicit a warning but at least it was a quick death as opposed to, like, being stuck as a scarecrow forever.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
see, y'all thinkin that the doctor is from an alternate universe, but what if OUR doctor is from an alternate universe and this is the real doctor?

Or that our doctor ended up in an alternate universe, not that this doctor is from another??
I hate to break it to your, but in our universe, Doctor Who is a TV series and there was never a Dalek invasion or whatever.

Both Doctors are from alternate universes to ours. The question is if they're from the same one...

And right now I think the evidence points to the answer to that being 'Yes', but the evidence isn't conclusive.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love how it has gone most fans from finding Chibnall to be boring/unimaginative to people theorizing if a version of the Doctor is the season 6B Doctor. lol Chibnall

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
To be fair, Jodie has been pretty meh if only because I love the central lore and serialized story format than Monster/Moral of the Week.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I love how it has gone most fans from finding Chibnall to be boring/unimaginative to people theorizing if a version of the Doctor is the season 6B Doctor. lol Chibnall

My knowledge of classic Doctor Who is sparse at bed, can I confirm that the Season 6B Doctor theory suggests Ruth is an incarnation between Troughton and Pertwee? I know Hartnell's regeneration was lost and had to be done in one of those animated episodes, are there likewise missing episodes for Troughton's regeneration that would allow this retcon to occur, or have I drastically misunderstood what this theory is about?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My knowledge of classic Doctor Who is sparse at bed, can I confirm that the Season 6B Doctor theory suggests Ruth is an incarnation between Troughton and Pertwee? I know Hartnell's regeneration was lost and had to be done in one of those animated episodes, are there likewise missing episodes for Troughton's regeneration that would allow this retcon to occur, or have I drastically misunderstood what this theory is about?

Also The Second Doctor's regeneration to the Third wasn't entirely actually shown when it was on screen

There is even a TARDIS page on it

tardis.fandom.com

Season 6B

Season 6B — also known as Season 6b and Season 6 (b) — is the narrative space between the end of the televised Doctor Who stories The War Games (which concludes season 6) and the beginning of Spearhead from Space (the opener to season 7). The gap exists because the regeneration of the Second...

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Also The Second Doctor's regeneration to the Third wasn't entirely actually shown when it was on screen

tardis.fandom.com

Season 6B

Season 6B — also known as Season 6b and Season 6 (b) — is the narrative space between the end of the televised Doctor Who stories The War Games (which concludes season 6) and the beginning of Spearhead from Space (the opener to season 7). The gap exists because the regeneration of the Second...

It could totally fit here, but here's a weird wrinkle: the TARDIS that Ruth-Doctor has - externally, as the internals are the same classic TARDIS set they've been redressing since 2013 - is Hartnell's. Specifically, there was a TARDIS prop with unique features that was only used for the first three serials. It has a different light on top, it has a flat roof, it has different proportions. That is the Hartnell TARDIS, not the Troughton into Pertwee one. Although, weirdly, it has the proportions of the earliest TARDIS from the first three serials but also doesn't have the St. John's Ambulance logo - which was there for the first three serials and then gone thereafter until Moffat had it in his era. So, god, it's confusing. Everything except the lack of the Ambluance logo points to this being the TARDIS as it appeared in the first three stories and never again since, though.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
Yeah I instantly knew it was Hartnell's TARDIS, which makes me think this Doctor is from an alternate timeline where her first incarnation was a black woman.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It could totally fit here, but here's a weird wrinkle: the TARDIS that Ruth-Doctor has - externally, as the internals are the same classic TARDIS set they've been redressing since 2013 - is Hartnell's. Specifically, there was a TARDIS prop with unique features that was only used for the first three serials. It has a different light on top, it has a flat roof, it has different proportions. That is the Hartnell TARDIS, not the Troughton into Pertwee one. Although, weirdly, it has the proportions of the earliest TARDIS from the first three serials but also doesn't have the St. John's Ambulance logo - which was there for the first three serials and then gone thereafter until Moffat had it in his era. So, god, it's confusing. Everything except the lack of the Ambluance logo points to this being the TARDIS as it appeared in the first three stories and never again since, though.

It also wouldn't make sense if she was before Hartnell because of that either.. hmmm

Oct 28, 2017
England

tardis.fandom.com

Season 6B

Wow, thank you for sharing this, looks like I've got another wiki rabbit hole to fall into! It'll take some work from them, but I'm up for a new classic Doctor if they go down this road! Now if only they'd put this new Master into a pre-Smith/Delgado incarnation.

Just on my memory alone there'll be a Tardis load of wrinkles if this proves true! Why wasn't 6B accounted for when 11 listed his thirteen incarnations before being granted a new batch*? Where was she during the "no sir, all thirteen" revival of Gallifrey? Then again, the fanbase has come to terms with the War Doctor not being part of John Smith's dreams that he painted into his journal, or not being part of the Cyberman's infostamps in The Next Doctor, and they'll come to terms with this too.

*Reading further into the Wiki (thanks again Spectromixer !), Troughton's regeneration was forced upon him by the Time Lords, so maybe they can retroactively discount it from counting as one of his 'official' regenerations?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

tardis.fandom.com

Season 6B

And I thought people were referring to Matt Smith's Season 6B lol

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Wow, thank you for sharing this, looks like I've got another wiki rabbit hole to fall into! It'll take some work from them, but I'm up for a new classic Doctor if they go down this road! Now if only they'd put this new Master into a pre-Smith/Delgado incarnation.

Just on my memory alone there'll be a Tardis load of wrinkles if this proves true! Why wasn't 6B accounted for when 11 listed his thirteen incarnations before being granted a new batch*? Where was she during the "no sir, all thirteen" revival of Gallifrey? Then again, the fanbase has come to terms with the War Doctor not being part of John Smith's dreams that he painted into his journal, or not being part of the Cyberman's infostamps in The Next Doctor, and they'll come to terms with this too.

*Reading further into the Wiki (thanks again Spectromixer !), Troughton's regeneration was forced upon him by the Time Lords, so maybe they can retroactively discount it from counting as one of his 'official' regenerations?
Look up the Brain of Morbius past incarnations, The Other and the Cartmel Masterplan while you're at it.

Oct 28, 2017
England
And I thought people were referring to Matt Smith's Season 6B lol

Same. Then I started thinking they meant Doctor 6B, as in they were suggesting that Ruth would be a hidden incarnation between Baker and McCoy. It wasn't until I checked what Classic Who's sixth season was that it clicked for me.

Look up the Brain of Morbius past incarnations, The Other and the Cartmel Masterplan while you're at it.

Another embarrassing confession, when I saw people discussing Cartmell earlier in the thread, my brain autocorrected it to Hartnell and assumed it was a story arc I wasn't familiar with!

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
The low-budget way the Eighth-to-War regeneration was done means you could technically slam in another regeneration there if you really wanted.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Looking for clues in the set to see if there's anything that would differentiate pre-Hartnell from Season 6B but the old sets were so homogenous that there's not really any way of doing it. The design of the time rotor changed mid-way through the Third Doctor era and never changed back. The bit at the back seems to be riffing off the set from The Three Doctors but that means nothing.