• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad to say but I couldn't really be excited even for Eccleston coming back given the writing quality, it would be wasted on this.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Kidding aside, this season would be a lot more coherent if the Doctor did try and find any remaining Time Lords that we've seen over the years. I'm still surprised none of the nuWho producers have bothered to bring back anyone besides the Master.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Kidding aside, this season would be a lot more coherent if the Doctor did try and find any remaining Time Lords that we've seen over the years. I'm still surprised none of the nuWho producers have bothered to bring back anyone besides the Master.
They brought Rassilon back, who was in 25th anniversary, 5 doctors. Cheating but I think the Dreamlord was Valeyard.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

In real terms it's because practically every other time lord in the classic series bar the Master was a terrible drag on the show, except for Romana - but then because Romana was a companion who therefore needed to constantly prompt the doctor for exposition she was made into a 'junior', learning time lord... Which didn't make her much different to any human companion.

OP
OP
Paradox

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
So I presume Neil Stuke is a renegade Time Lord that the Judoon are after who's been living on Earth, potentially fobwashed?

On the one hand, it would be nice if it was another classic Time Lord, but then again if this seems to be a push for lapsed viewers then I can't see that being much of a reveal.

Crazy speculation: It's another version of the Master, the regeneration that blew up Gallifrey, and is now being hunted for his crimes. Why not give a Doctor two Masters to be tied to?

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
What if what happened to the Master when he blew up Gallifrey is it splintered him into multiple regenerations. Multiple Masters.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
What if Neil Stuke is playing the regenerated incarnation of YOU, the viewer, who in the lore of Doctor Who will somehow become a Time Lord in the future. The Time Lords' use of alternative aliases and ability to regenerate into different forms perfectly sidesteps the fact that viewers have different names and personal characteristics allowing the series to go one step beyond The Last Jedi and carry out the ultimate act of democratisation by allowing each and every viewer to self-insert themselves into the lore of the show!

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Hmmm, a good point actually is a cool way to use the Judoon would be to have them in pursuit of another classic villain. A double whammy.

Is now the time for them to bring back Adam from series one?! At last, the follow up to The Long Game...!!!

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In real terms it's because practically every other time lord in the classic series bar the Master was a terrible drag on the show, except for Romana - but then because Romana was a companion who therefore needed to constantly prompt the doctor for exposition she was made into a 'junior', learning time lord... Which didn't make her much different to any human companion.

Hasn't it been thousands of years since the Doctor last met Romana?

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Hasn't it been thousands of years since the Doctor last met Romana?

Yeah, which means she'd probably have grown up into a fucking bore like the rest of the Time Lords, or in a modern context one has to fear she'll have grown up to basically be the same character archetype as River. Either way, I think Romana probably isn't all that worth revisiting, tbh, as much as I love Romana 2. Officially right now, the only New-Who canon we have is a couple of RTD-approved extracurricular stuff from his era (Novels, comics) say that she was at one point president of Gallifrey, possibly even at the start of the war before they revived Rassillon.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I think Tennant is the most likely one, honestly. It's "too soon" for Capaldi, Eccleston still has an iffy relationship with the show, and Smith seems to still be focused on trying to break Hollywood where Tennant has given up on that and come back to UK TV, probably because he has young UK-based children.

Plus, Tennant ticks all the boxes - Chibnall wrote for him in the RTD era, they are mates from broadchurch, and while they all pretty much know each other, he's the one that's closest to Whittaker. Who did she phone when she got the role to talk about it? Tennant. And, of course, he's the most popular modern Doctor, so if they do want to smash the multi-doctor emergency glass for ratings, Tennant is the one you'd grab.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Tennant is the most likely one, honestly. It's "too soon" for Capaldi, Eccleston still has an iffy relationship with the show, and Smith seems to still be focused on trying to break Hollywood where Tennant has given up on that and come back to UK TV, probably because he has young UK-based children.

Plus, Tennant ticks all the boxes - Chibnall wrote for him in the RTD era, they are mates from broadchurch, and while they all pretty much know each other, he's the one that's closest to Whittaker. Who did she phone when she got the role to talk about it? Tennant. And, of course, he's the most popular modern Doctor, so if they do want to smash the multi-doctor emergency glass for ratings, Tennant is the one you'd grab.
Eccelston is more of a headline though. There isn't as much as a novelty at seeing Tennant again, as popular as he was, since he was in the 50th. I would just offer to Ecclelston the choice of director, whatever, hopefully they could successfully pander to him. Both would be ideal.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Chibnall: I brought back Eccleston, Tennant, Smith, Capaldi, the two Masters, Missy, the Cybermen and the Daleks - did we finally get an AI of 80 or above?

The BBC: No.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Eccelston is more of a headline though. There isn't as much as a novelty at seeing Tennant again, as popular as he was, since he was in the 50th. I would just offer to Ecclelston the choice of director, whatever, hopefully they could successfully pander to him. Both would be ideal.

I don't think he really is to the UK papers and a broader audience, to be honest. To fans, yeah. But Tennant's popularity in the UK is insurmountable - only Tom is ahead of him, and honestly, these days, I think that's starting to become debatable.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Eccleston is only "more of a headline" in certain online circles. Tennant I think is still the most popular modern Doctor (they just did a whole theatrical screening for The End of Time last summer to mark the 10-year anniversary of his leaving the show). There will always be a huge amount of novelty to seeing Tennant on screen again. It's not like the 50th just happened. If Tennant were to return for a guest spot the earliest it would happen is next year, a full 8 years after the 50th — twice as much time as there'd been between his regeneration and the 50th.

Tennant also, for multiple reasons, would be way more agreeable to return if given the offer. Eccleston wouldn't be a sure thing and would probably take a lot of cajoling. Tennant would say yes in a heartbeat if Chibnall or Jodie texted him and asked if he'd play an episode.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think Eccleston is only "more of a headline" in certain online circles. Tennant I think is still the most popular modern Doctor (they just did a whole theatrical screening for The End of Time last summer to mark the 10-year anniversary of his leaving the show). There will always be a huge amount of novelty to seeing Tennant on screen again. It's not like the 50th just happened. If Tennant were to return for a guest spot the earliest it would happen is next year, a full 8 years after the 50th — twice as much time as there'd been between his regeneration and the 50th.

Tennant also, for multiple reasons, would be way more agreeable to return if given the offer. Eccleston wouldn't be a sure thing and would probably take a lot of cajoling. Tennant would say yes in a heartbeat if Chibnall or Jodie texted him and asked if he'd play an episode.
I think you shouldn't too easily use the Tennant card, make it an event and it's hard to do another day of the doctor.

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
An interesting touch to note, btw - Toisin (Ryan) has been cast in a big US TV thing, a 'two season event' - 8 episodes per season. He's one of the leads. It's not a small role. So I wonder if he'll be sticking around into next year. Obviously schedules can be worked around, especially with only 8 episodes, but this is going to be him filming an 11 hour flight away for a significant portion of time...

I think you shouldn't too easily use the Tennant card, make it an event and it's hard to do another day of the doctor.

The show has done this before, just not in the modern series. In classic over time multi-doctor became less of an 'event', and the more years we go the more likely this will happen again. In truth, I think the first step towards that was multi-master, with the return of one of UK TV's most well-liked actors, being played quite quietly with little fanfare. Anyway, the point is, if they feel like they're struggling they'll latch on to whatever they can to stem the bleeding, and a multi-doc is an obvious big thing, and of those available, Tennant would be the most impactful - that's the point.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Day of the Doctor was effectively a two Doctor team-up (I loved Hurt in it but he was functionally a new character). They could one-up that easily with three or four or five Doctors for the next anniversary. There's also no guarantee that there will be a multi-Doctor anniversary for the 60th either! In fact, depending on production schedules and whether or not the BBC passes the showrunner baton to someone else around then (Chibs has talked about having a five year plan, which would peg the end of his tenure at 2022), there's no guarantee any Doctor Who will even be on tv in 2023...

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
An interesting touch to note, btw - Toisin (Ryan) has been cast in a big US TV thing, a 'two season event' - 8 episodes per season. He's one of the leads. It's not a small role. So I wonder if he'll be sticking around into next year. Obviously schedules can be worked around, especially with only 8 episodes, but this is going to be him filming an 11 hour flight away for a significant portion of time...

The show has done this before, just not in the modern series. In classic over time multi-doctor became less of an 'event', and the more years we go the more likely this will happen again. In truth, I think the first step towards that was multi-master, with the return of one of UK TV's most well-liked actors, being played quite quietly with little fanfare.
I think they should use Tennant to help transition the next reboot, and hope people remember the show is on.

Like they could use the half human doctor to help the time lords' DNA somehow, and the doctor sticks around for a few hundreds years to help rebuild Gallifrey, which means their story comes full circle after they ran away. Then they start the next iteration, with a better showrunner and hopefully things turn out better.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's time to get a new TARDIS team anyway

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
APZonerunner I enjoy reading your comments here and you seem to remember way more Dr Who stuff than myself, even though I've watched every episode (once...) for decades. Do you watch each episode once and just have a really good memory for it, or are you an even bigger fan?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would like to see a regeneration kept under wraps for once, that people only find out about during the ep, and that's how they're introduced to a new Doctor.

People have been asking this for pretty much every season since the reboot started, but it would be an absolute logistical nightmare unless it was done in a secret scene in the season finale. Doing it in the middle of a season is functionally impossible.

The only way you could make it work is by Trojan Horsing the actor in the way they did Jenna in S7 - bring them in as a seemingly unrelated character and then reveal they're a future Doctor incarnation in a later episode when the current Doctor regenerates unexpectedly.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
People have been asking this for pretty much every season since the reboot started, but it would be an absolute logistical nightmare unless it was done in a secret scene in the season finale. Doing it in the middle of a season is functionally impossible.

The only way you could make it work is by Trojan Horsing the actor in the way they did Jenna in S7 - bring them in as a seemingly unrelated character and then reveal they're a future Doctor incarnation in a later episode when the current Doctor regenerates unexpectedly.

Doctor Who has a habit of bringing in guests stars, so wouldn't it be possible to have him/her just in the regeneration ep, and let people wrongly assume that they'll be a guest star?

Also, afaik, no one knew that Sacha Dhawan was playing the Master, or have I got that wrong?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Who has a habit of bringing in guests stars, so wouldn't it be possible to have him/her just in the regeneration ep, and let people wrongly assume that they'll be a guest star?

Also, afaik, no one knew that Sacha Dhawan was playing the Master, or have I got that wrong?

What about the episodes after the regeneration? How would you explain around filming a show without its primary actor for weeks at a time? People would figure out the Doctor has been replaced pretty quickly.

This is why it would have to be the season finale. No episodes after the regeneration to blow the surprise.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
What about the episodes after the regeneration? How would you explain around filming a show without its primary actor for weeks at a time? People would figure out the Doctor has been replaced pretty quickly.

This is why it would have to be the season finale. No episodes after the regeneration to blow the surprise.
I was gonna say that the problem is still there as they'd probably have to start filming the new Doctor's series before the finale airs, but then remembered that with Chibnall's one series every two years, it's no problem at all.

Pizza Dog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Jenna had already been announced when she appeared in the episode though - people just weren't expecting her to be in it that early as she was supposed to be taking over from Karen and Arthur.

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
I want to watch old New Who but it's not streaming in the US until HBO Max starts in May. Any reason not to buy 'Eccelston and Tennant Years' from iTunes? it has everything from Rose to End of Time for $30.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah sorry, my mistake: I should've clarified that I did mean series finale.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
You might be able to do it, if have a big name actor as the companion who is also a doctor. Like Hugh Laurie just a normal doctor who has a unique fashion sense. But lol it's a total gimmick.

Wowfunhappy

Oct 27, 2017
Spyfall Part 2 and Tesla's Night of Horrors should have been great episodes, but for some reason I didn't enjoy them, and I can't quite put my finger on why.

I'm increasingly convinced that something is fundamentally wrong on the production side. I watch Doctor Who to feel a sense of wonder—to experience the thrill of danger and discovery that results from traveling with the Doctor. Some combination of the soundtrack, color grading and/or cinematography in this era is causing even well-plotted episodes to feel drab and boring.

Diablos54

Oct 26, 2017
One of the huge problems with this whole era is that there's just no link between it and previous eras, or even between Jodie and previous Doctors. Of course it's a reboot of sorts, but some things need to stay the same, at least at the start. Tennant had Rose and the production as a whole so that was fine.

Moffat almost killed himself with introducing Smith, 2 companions and the coming of a whole new era with the 11th Hour, but even then he still had little links like Murray Gold and the general structure of his first season (Plus the fact he had written some of if not the best episodes of NeWho up to that point). Then with Capaldi he had both Clara and previous characters he had created to work with, plus a lot less to have to actually do (Only really introduce a new Doctor).

CC however tried to introduce a new female Doctor, 3 companions, whilst his work on the show having been average (At best) before. That plus the fact that there were no real links at all in terms of writing, production or seasonal structure, as well as no stand out performers (Like Moffat was during the RTD era) the whole thing just comes across as bland and alien. I mean, it's not exactly totally terrible but it's just sorta there, and wether it's good or bad Who should never just be 'there'.

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland

There were mutterings in December on Gallifrey Base if I remember correctly