• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The 4th story Marco Polo was 7 parts, lol they couldn't do that today. Imagine if Telsa was 3 hours.

Imagine a three hour Tesla story in series 11 vs the ~45 minutes we got in series 12 (in the context of how bad series 11 was).

I think each series should be 75%-85 two parters. Hell, I'd even like to see a proper three parter/ four-parter, maybe every other series.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love multiple part stories.

Moffat's problem was that the writing, while witty and clever, went at a breakneck speed. Filling 90 minutes with that is hard and some excellent ideas floundered as a result.

Chibnall's problem is that he's too slow and plodding, which makes everything feel longer than it is.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017

Moffat's problem was that the writing, while witty and clever, went at a breakneck speed. Filling 90 minutes with that is hard and some excellent ideas floundered as a result.

Chibnall's problem is that he's too slow and plodding, which makes everything feel longer than it is.
I think that both RTD and Moffat suffered from having a great story setup with lame endings. Moffat continued with this in Sherlock, and I'm still annoyed that we never found out how Sherlock survived (probably because Moffat and Gatiss knew that there was no outcome that would be universally accepted).

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think that both RTD and Moffat suffered from having a great story setup with lame endings. Moffat continued with this in Sherlock, and I'm still annoyed that we never found out how Sherlock survived (probably because Moffat and Gatiss knew that there was no outcome that would be universally accepted).
Yes we did- the version he told Anderson was the real solution.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
???

Was it mentioned in show, or did Moffat/Gatiss reveal that?
I believe Moffat said it, but he didn't need to- everything in the show points to that, from the music on upwards.

They were making the point that nothing they could put out would live up to the expectations that built up in the two years between series, hence why Anderson was dissatisfied with the explanation given, but they put their cards on the table with that one.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I believe Moffat said it, but he didn't need to- everything in the show points to that, from the music on upwards.

They were making the point that nothing they could put out would live up to the expectations that built up in the two years between series, hence why Anderson was dissatisfied with the explanation given, but they put their cards on the table with that one.

Aah ok, thanks.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for Jodie having to put up with CC as showrunner. She deserved much better.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

This season has been faster-paced. Makes last season look glacial by comparison. Slowing down is good but it has to be done at the right time. I feel like writers on American shows seem to get that pacing right more often than some Doctor Who writers. Maybe using a writers' room there's more consistency.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Great to see Jodie in for another season, but I truly hope that by then the character is actually defined. She's the eternal optimist as a reaction to the final speech of 12, but that's all she seems to be. An optimist...

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad for Jodie having to put up with CC as showrunner. She deserved much better.
She and Chibnall are mates so it only looks like putting up with him to everyone else lol

Glad that Jodie will be around for at least one more season though if history is any guide this could be her last...

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I think the 60 anniversary (ask Eccleston every time) might be a good point to reboot it and do a Christmas special with the new doctor. I guess the doctor retires to help build Gallifrey and he returns to Earth after hundreds of years in a different time and you're not sure who the doctor is any more. Kind of the opposite of how they did Rose. Maybe do a few specials of mini series or extended episodes first like Sherlock, to play with the formula then go back to the series.
November 2023? That's way too long of a wait for a new Doctor and show runner

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they're in any rush lol. We only got 1 episode last year. They could spread 2 series over 3 years, phase out Chibnall's run, and reboot it after the anniversary in 2023.
giphy.gif

I just want this whole era over with

But really, I don't see Jodie staying on that long, especially past her third series which should be January 2022 at the latest.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

I just want this whole era over with

But really, I don't see Jodie staying on that long, especially past her third series which should be January 2022 at the latest.
I think they're going to need some kind of hook to get people talking about the series again, before a potential reboot it and hope the audience stays. Maybe in 2023 mini movies for some of the doctors like Eccleston (give him what he wants), Tennant, Smith ... and all meet up again in November, episodes written by some of the most talented writers, and they later help build a new time lord society, which sets the stage for the reboot when the doctor goes solo again. At least if I was the show runner, I'll try and think outside the box.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Interesting announcement from Big Finish - they're doing an boxset about Susan during the Time War called Susan's War. Does that make her The War Susan now??

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I maintain that in 2023 they should skip doing a full series, and instead do 6 interlinked anniversary specials, each with a different pairing of Doctors and written by a select handful of writers: one by RTD, one by Moffat, maybe two by Chibnall if he's still showrunner, etc. Put all the time and money for a full series and change into these half dozen episodes. You also don't need to coordinate schedules for 5-6 different Doctors, barring one or two they're-all-together scenes, if you keep it limited to say two to an episode.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I maintain that in 2023 they should skip doing a full series, and instead do 6 interlinked anniversary specials, each with a different pairing of Doctors and written by a select handful of writers: one by RTD, one by Moffat, maybe two by Chibnall if he's still showrunner, etc. Put all the time and money for a full series and change into these half dozen episodes. You also don't need to coordinate schedules for 5-6 different Doctors, barring one or two they're-all-together scenes, if you keep it limited to say two to an episode.

I think what would be very fun if they did this is to make each absolutely "of its era" - title sequence, style of music (and composer), format. I think the problem is that RTD appears to have fully made his peace and doesn't want to do any more Who ever, tbh. Moffat seems the type that'd always come back.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's probably the damn Cybermen. They always seem to think the Cybermen are way more hype than they are.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
Just wanted to jump in here and gauge the quality of the new Doctor Who episodes. I loved Capaldi's run and was super excited for Jodie, but I thought her first season as the Doctor was pretty abysmal outside a couple of episodes.

Have things gotten better or is the Jodie era still bad?

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Just wanted to jump in here and gauge the quality of the new Doctor Who episodes. I loved Capaldi's run and was super excited for Jodie, but I thought her first season as the Doctor was pretty abysmal outside a couple of episodes.

The consensus is that this season is looking superior to last year in general so far (4 episodes in), but conversely one of those 4 is definitely one of the top 5 worst episodes of post-2005 Doctor Who.

SlumberingGiant

alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2019

about the same. very slightly better maybe

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Just getting caught up on this new season. I consider myself a mere casual fan so I don't know if I have much to add here. I'm enjoying the new season and cast even if there are a couple of wrinkles. Reading the past few pages, yeah I'm a little sad they threw out the character development of Missy just to have crazy manic RTD era Master. Though, when I think about it, and I apologize if someone brought this up already, it feels like they developed him to be sort of a personification of toxic masculinity culture to sort of play off the "progressive woman doctor". The manic tantrums, playing dress up as a Nazi, and getting off on having the doctor kneel and call him Master. It's a really bold, fitting approach.

Also, I was really surprised to see that the actor playing him is not only that forgettable villain from Iron Fist, but the voice of the cowardly Prince Faris from Dragon Quest XI. Man, talk about opposite ends of a spectrum!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

As another already posted, yeah it's been an improvement. Last weeks Tesla episode was really good.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty good, except from the third episode. I guess a bit better than series 11 so far but not a radical improvement.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Random thought: what if they somehow snuck a multi-Doctor cameo into the middle of this season and used reveals like the Master, the Cybermen (and the Judoon I GUESS) to distract from it? The chances of them doing it without it leaking are INFINITESIMALLY small, but if they pulled it off I would almost have to give Chibs a high five.

Almost. Orphan 55 was still really really bad.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Random thought: what if they somehow snuck a multi-Doctor cameo into the middle of this season and used reveals like the Master, the Cybermen (and the Judoon I GUESS) to distract from it? The chances of them doing it without it leaking are INFINITESIMALLY small, but if they pulled it off I would almost have to give Chibs a high five.

Almost. Orphan 55 was still really really bad.
Eccleston is the holy grail.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
If this had been either RTD's or Moffat's tenure, either the Master would return for the series finale, or someone/something even bigger.

I wonder what CC will do...

APZonerunner

Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
people have been begging for them for years tho

It wasn't a knock specifically, but basically I think it'd be a Chibnall thing to do because he hates 80s Who, and doing something like taking a very 80s character (The Rani) and turning it into something he does like strikes me as something he'd want to do from a fanboy perspective.