• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
4 episodes in and it's all just a bit meh to me. I feel like i'm only watching because i used to enjoy Doctor Who. Like i'm not ready to give up just yet, but i'm also not entertained at all. In fact i would go so far and say that i'm bored for the most part. I'm just watching in the hope that the show turns a corner and

It's always sad when you no longer enjoy something you used to love. I think a lot of people can relate.

Btw what's up with the companions? They are just nothing characters. Some really bad writing this and last season. Like does anyone even care about them...

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Dyspraxia has nothing to do with anything I said. Did dyspraxia make his dialogue bad?

I think honestly the problem with all three was that they just jumped in with the trio, whereas in the past we began with Rose/Amy and then added Jack, Mickey and Rory - which meant all of these characters had time to individually grow. Even River and Nardole, when they did the regular companion gig, had been established prior. The challenge is by dropping all three in at once... I don't feel like I really know any of them? I feel like you get a bit of who Yaz is off her family, since they're such broad soap archetypes (played by a bunch of UK soap actors!) Graham sort of gets by on sheer charisma of Walsh alone. But I still don't really feel like I know them, and that's... 14 stories in?

RyanPrime_

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Better than last week but still not feeling the gang. There needs to be a bit of drama or some kind of storyline going on between the three. They are just kind of... There.

They could have easily made the monsters this week Racnoss which would have maybe established more from a underused enemy.

Even the Next Time trailer was boring. Was expecting a "Bo sko fo jo ro no ko blo doe ro" or something but no...

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought that was excellent. The best Doctor Who (not quite the best episode, but certainly the most Doctor Who-ish) the Chibnall era's produced.

If we had stuff that good every week, I wouldn't grumble too much.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Much better than last week, almost felt like an RTD campy episode. Made feel like watching the Runaway Bride, so that's what I'm doing!

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Big improvement on last week, but that's more a statement on how poor last week was.

I will say that Goran Visnjic as Tesla was excellent, a really strong performance I thought.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Enjoyable episode. The Doctor and Tesla are a match made in heaven. Graham giving Edison lip was a highlight. Hats off to the guest cast who didn't stick out like a sore thumb. I didn't recognize any of them. It felt like a Tenant era episode, especially with the Skithra reminding me of the Racnoss. The shot of Tesla near the end in the TARDIS was the best that set's looked so far.

Diablos54

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty good episode, continues the theme of the historical episodes being decent to great while everything else is pretty piss poor. Although I felt Spyfall was half decent so so far so good. But hearing Chibnall is co-writing the best episode doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Tesla was played by the same guy (Goran Visnjic) who played Flynn from Timeless, which is kinda nice to see him on screen again :)

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
Was sort of ok. I got bored and fast forwarded bits. I should start a drinking game for every time the sonic screwdriver is waved around

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Just got done watching thanks to the repeat showing.

I really enjoyed this one a lot. Actually might be my overall favorite of these last two seasons since this one was so enjoyable all the way through. Loved everyone's interactions with Tesla and that fitting, great easy rapport he and The Doctor had. Some good little moments with the companions and his secretary too, along with Edison, and a well made villain for the ep.

The entire sequence of Tesla entering the TARDIS was gold, lol.

LOL that high five....too early joke was a fun one.

Tesla was played by the same guy (Goran Visnjic) who played Flynn from Timeless, which is kinda nice to see him on screen again :)
Yeah, that was really cool to see him again and he was great.

Really liked the episode. It feels like the Doctor is being more assertive this series which i appreciate a lot. Whittiker is a really good actress and i'm liking how she goes from a threatening speech to a lighthearted quip.
Same, really enjoying the uptick on that this season compared to last.
That bit where she said "I gave you your chance..." brought back those great Doctor "chills".

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm just not on the same page as the rest of you guys. Like, the episode was certainly fine and all - Tesla and Edison both shine pretty damn well and I also appreciated the Skithra's clear inspiration from the Racnoss - but it wasn't exactly anything to go running home about either for me.

What I'm realizing is I'm just not into the whole historical edutainment aspect that Chibnall's era is actively focusing on. It's one thing when the show uses historical figures and settings as even major parts of its plots, but it's another when the show grinds the brakes on the Magic School Bus so that the Doctor can give a history lesson or some ending speech on how humans never give up. Episodes like Rosa and Demons of Punjab were great IMO because they actively incorporated the people and settings into their plots and messages in a way that makes Tesla's Night of Terror and the Ada Lovelace parts of Spyfall feel shallow in comparison.

And since we're talking about the companions, the one thing I've always felt about the trio that's still true now is that they're just too....nice. The Doctor's companions, especially since the revival, have always had personalities and relationships that have rubbed against The Doctor's in some way. Even more passive personalities like Mickey or Bill could still say or do something that'd catch the Doctor off guard or press on one of his nerves. In contrast, Graham, Ryan, and Yaz are as perfect of a posse as you can get: more often than not staying close by, always listening to what The Doctor says, always deferring to her for direction and leadership, always taking her side, etc. The one time they really questioned her - them not knowing anything about the Doctor's origins - they were generally on board with each other and only prodded as much as the Doctor allowed, and the question itself only came up because of the Master putting it in Graham's head. There's just no tension, none of the drama and quirky personality shit that would help us get a better idea of them and their relationships with each other and the Doctor, and so all that's left is just a trio of interchangeable everymen.

May 26, 2018
Man I'm just not on the same page as the rest of you guys. Like, the episode was certainly fine and all - Tesla and Edison both shine pretty damn well and I also appreciated the Skithra's clear inspiration from the Racnoss - but it wasn't exactly anything to go running home about either for me.

What I'm realizing is I'm just not into the whole historical edutainment aspect that Chibnall's era is actively focusing on. It's one thing when the show uses historical figures and settings as even major parts of its plots, but it's another when the show grinds the brakes on the Magic School Bus so that the Doctor can give a history lesson or some ending speech on how humans never give up. Episodes like Rosa and Demons of Punjab were great IMO because they actively incorporated the people and settings into their plots and messages in a way that makes Tesla's Night of Terror and the Ada Lovelace parts of Spyfall feel shallow in comparison.

And since we're talking about the companions, the one thing I've always felt about the trio that's still true now is that they're just too....nice. The Doctor's companions, especially since the revival, have always had personalities and relationships that have rubbed against The Doctor's in some way. Even more passive personalities like Mickey or Bill could still say or do something that'd catch the Doctor off guard or press on one of his nerves. In contrast, Graham, Ryan, and Yaz are as perfect of a posse as you can get: more often than not staying close by, always listening to what The Doctor says, always deferring to her for direction and leadership, always taking her side, etc. The one time they really questioned her - them not knowing anything about the Doctor's origins - they were generally on board with each other and only prodded as much as the Doctor allowed, and the question itself only came up because of the Master putting it in Graham's head. There's just no tension, none of the drama and quirky personality shit that would help us get a better idea of them and their relationships with each other and the Doctor, and so all that's left is just a trio of interchangeable everymen.

It also means the Doctor has to do something that we, the audience, don't want her to do. That we think might be wrong. Then they can call her out on something.

That's part of why the Doctor needs companions. The Doctor is a flawed person, who has lived so long, who has so much baggage. If they don't have friends, they start losing it.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Enjoyable episode. The Doctor and Tesla are a match made in heaven. Graham giving Edison lip was a highlight. Hats off to the guest cast who didn't stick out like a sore thumb. I didn't recognize any of them. It felt like a Tenant era episode, especially with the Skithra reminding me of the Racnoss. The shot of Tesla near the end in the TARDIS was the best that set's looked so far.

LOL I was wondering who was playing the Queen. I thought to myself she looked a little familiar but couldn't place her.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
I am getting sick of all the historical episodes. Chibnall treats the doctor like she is a time travelling human. She has completely lost her alieness and use that as a lense to view our world and ways. The episodes are also too long at 50 minutes. They need cutting to 40 or 45 to speed up the flow.

Also, I don't want this to sound unamerican, it's just as a Brit, I'm quite proud doctor who is such a big hit overseas but it seems that every series has got to have an episode in America and deal with American politics. I understand the business reason but it is a little annoying.

This episode was the first one where I really looked at Jodie and thought I actually don't think she is suited to playing the doctor. I've loved her in everything she has been in and I'm not one of those the Doctor has to be a man knobs but she just never seems comfortable. The exaggerations and high energy are starting to feel really forced from her. I'm ready for another reboot to be honest of a dramatic shift in the show like with Capaldi and Bill.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Whether it's Jodie, the gang, the Chinball Era or a combination of em, there was one thing I'm certain of this episode. Either the director or the writer is going to go on to be the next Moffat. Script wise this was Doctor Who in a way the Chinball Era hasn't gotten to yet and as for the actual episode, the way it was shot and everything about it felt leagues above everything as well. I definitely felt the same way as I felt when seeing the first Moffat episodes during the RTD Era where I thought yeah, whoever is making this needs to be the next person running the show. It's too early to say this, but God I hope I'm right.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Whether it's Jodie, the gang, the Chinball Era or a combination of em, there was one thing I'm certain of this episode. Either the director or the writer is going to go on to be the next Moffat. Script wise this was Doctor Who in a way the Chinball Era hasn't gotten to yet and as for the actual episode, the way it was shot and everything about it felt leagues above everything as well. I definitely felt the same way as I felt when seeing the first Moffat episodes during the RTD Era where I thought yeah, whoever is making this needs to be the next person running the show. It's too early to say this, but God I hope I'm right.
Yeah I agree somewhat. It was the most classic new Doctor Who like episode we've had since Chibnall took over

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah I agree somewhat. It was the most classic new Doctor Who like episode we've had since Chibnall took over
That's why I say it's too early. Classic New Who might be too old hat for a post Chinball show and I wouldn't want the show to go back to that entirely, but I felt that there was something there that could be an evolution of that style. I'm not going to fully commit to my statement until we do see something more.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lttp but Orphan 55 was so bad, one of the worst episodes of NuWho so far and definitely the worst from Chibbers run. I'm all for a message to get more notice on climate change but can we put it in a good episode please.

BENNIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The argument between Edison and Tesla was on point. The man with his head in the clouds and the man with his head up his arse.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I would really like to see what became of the SJA kids. It's a shame the show ended in such tragic circumstances and now there's an awkward situation about using the characters.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Elisabeth Sladen passing away.

oh ok. I never watched Sarah Jane Adventures, but as far as I knew they were never on Doctor Who, so I don't know why they would use them anyway. And I guess they presumption above is they couldn't have a show without her and just the kids, since she's the namesake. Plus in the universe she isn't "dead" right?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
oh ok. I never watched Sarah Jane Adventures, but as far as I knew they were never on Doctor Who, so I don't know why they would use them anyway. And I guess they presumption above is they couldn't have a show without her and just the kids, since she's the namesake. Plus in the universe she isn't "dead" right?

They did have both the 10th Doctor and the 11th Doctor in an episode each, The Wedding of Sarah Jane, and the Death of the Doctor, respectively.
Yeah, I think that's the assumption. I don't remember if she's dead in-universe or not tbh.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
They did have both the 10th Doctor and the 11th Doctor in an episode each, The Wedding of Sarah Jane, and the Death of the Doctor, respectively.
Yeah, I think that's the assumption. I don't remember if she's dead in-universe or not tbh.

Interesting, neat. But the kids from the show were never in a Doctor Who episode, right? So those like me have no link to them.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

Agree fully with this. And we do not need THREE of them. I'm of the opinion that The Doctor has A companion, and maybe another part time one. Three full time companions is not Doctor Who to me. We don't need a "Doctor Posse". It should be The Doctor, and another person with them who keeps them in check and also is shown the wonders of the universe. The characters all seem so unsurprised this season (and last season, really), at everything.

I am getting sick of all the historical episodes. Chibnall treats the doctor like she is a time travelling human. She has completely lost her alieness and use that as a lense to view our world and ways. The episodes are also too long at 50 minutes. They need cutting to 40 or 45 to speed up the flow.

Also, I don't want this to sound unamerican, it's just as a Brit, I'm quite proud doctor who is such a big hit overseas but it seems that every series has got to have an episode in America and deal with American politics. I understand the business reason but it is a little annoying.

This episode was the first one where I really looked at Jodie and thought I actually don't think she is suited to playing the doctor. I've loved her in everything she has been in and I'm not one of those the Doctor has to be a man knobs but she just never seems comfortable. The exaggerations and high energy are starting to feel really forced from her. I'm ready for another reboot to be honest of a dramatic shift in the show like with Capaldi and Bill.

I mean lets not pretend they haven't always had historical episodes. For instance Let's Kill Hitler was great. But I do agree that the show used to be more "The Doctor picks up one companion to come with them and explore the universe", not "Let's go travel through Earth history for no reason."

However I don't see the issue with each season having an episode involving the US, considering that they've had ties on the show to the US in general throughout the new series. Plus the viewership helps, at USA is the superpower so a lot of important recent history power grabs are set there. And shows like Friends did the same thing - when they got big in the UK they started to have plots where they went there, or dated UK people, etc.

I'm the same about Jodie. She was great in Broadchurch. I just don't feel like she's suited for this. She's way too overacted and wide eyed about anything that happens, and doesn't seem in control like the The Doctor usually is. The sonic screwdriver is super over-used (writing's fault, not hers) which is really annoying. Something weird happens? Point the screwdriver at it!!

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
To be fair, it started with three companions in 1963, and since then.

I don't really count pre-modern era Who, considering how much it changed in the reboot. Rose, then Martha Jones, then Donna, then Amy (with a sorta stow away Rory), then Clara, then Bill. Basically one main companion per Doctor. But now it's 3, all at once from the start. It's almost as though they were concerned she couldn't carry the show herself with only one other person.

Last edited:

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really count pre-modern era Who, considering how much it changed in the reboot. Rose, then Martha Jones, then Donna, then Amy (with a sorta stow away Rory), then Clara. Basically one main companion per Doctor. But now it's 3, all at once from the start. It's almost as though they were concerned she couldn't carry the show herself with only one other person.

Honestly, I think CC went right back to the beginning, and looked at how the show started, and the types of issues that were covered; I remember reading that part of the aim behind Doctor Who initially was as an educational show aimed at teaching history.

Personally, from that perspective I can't fault him. I fault him on the blandness of the stories in series 11 (from a sci-fi drama perspective); how out of place the Doctor felt (as in, she felt like an extra in her own show), and the overall execution.

Oct 25, 2017
The historical nature isn't a problem, it's that the history lesson aspect feels unnatural, the scene where the Doctor is explaining who Tesla is feels more like something out of a kids education program, where the companions are playing dumb so that the Doctor can give a history lesson.

Once it got past that it turned into quite a good episode.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I found it a little unbelievable that none of them had heard of Tesla outside of the cars. Like, I know Nikola Tesla is more of an American historical figure than a worldwide historical figure but his inventions and contributions to modern science are exactly what Thirteen said they are. The companions should know who he is, at LEAST enough for Graham to make a "death ray" joke.

They got there eventually, kind of...

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Interesting, neat. But the kids from the show were never in a Doctor Who episode, right? So those like me have no link to them.

The episodes the Doctor is in are basically slightly lower-budget, slightly different format (2x 30 minutes, so longer than a normal modern DW episode but shorter than a modern DW two-parter) episodes of Doctor Who proper. The Eleventh Doctor is also the only time Russell T Davies (showrunner in the Eccleston/Tennant years) wrote for the eleventh Doctor, which is something of a nice historical point.

The eleventh Doctor one also has another old companion from the original series return - the 3rd Doc's main companion - and The Brigadier (mentioned fairly often in New Who, and of course Kate's father) is in one episode too before his actor passed away IRL. The Tenth Doctor one is also the very last thing Tennant shot as the character that was canon before leaving the part, so it's the last footage shot of him at the correct age, as Day of the Doctor and anything else will never quite be the same, so there's that, too.

Just those episodes are worth a punt for fans of Doctor Who, imo. Beyond that the show is definitely a kids show, but it's silly fun and they pull in some of the 'lesser' alien races here and there -so there's Judoon, Slitheen, Sontarans etc.

I would really like to see what became of the SJA kids. It's a shame the show ended in such tragic circumstances and now there's an awkward situation about using the characters.

I too would love to see what 'happened' to the SJA kids, though it definitely feels like one of those things where when the Liz wound is less raw, we'll get Luke back as a grown adult. That's a Big Finish series if nothing else - Luke and Mr. Smith, carrying on his mum's legacy.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
The historical nature isn't a problem, it's that the history lesson aspect feels unnatural, the scene where the Doctor is explaining who Tesla is feels more like something out of a kids education program, where the companions are playing dumb so that the Doctor can give a history lesson.

Once it got past that it turned into quite a good episode.

to be fair, Doctor Who was always intended to be a kids' show, which would make sense of the way that its treated as an educational venue.