• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Bradley Walsh earning that money. Just goes to show Coronation Street and The Chase doesn't mean he wasn't well cast.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, the BBC charter forbids them from competing against other licensed broadcasters in the UK for advertising revenue. It would be illegal for them to carry paid commercials. They do carry trailers for their own products and other promotional stuff in between programmes, and they have to carry official party political broadcasts.

Try accessing bbc.co.uk from outside the UK and see sees how littered with ads it is.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
This is Classic Who opener in that the actual story is a bit pants but the characters have real potential. Particularly Walsh and Whittaker are superb.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i didn't catch the very beginning of the episode but i've liked what i've seen so far, especially in comparison to the few capaldi episodes i saw. production/visuals look nice too!

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, this felt surprisingly unemotional.

WhovianGamer

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cinematography was nice.
That's about it as far as positives for me, but it is a first episode and they tend to be so-so.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Overall it was ok. Most moff era season openers have been pants though, so this is probably the best opener since eleventh hour (though nowhere near as good as that)

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That was a good first episode. The plot was whatever but the performances are promising. I'm liking Whittaker as the new doctor and even Bradley Walsh was good. The new theme is great as well.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Loved sitting and watching this with the kids. Was ol, like every time will need a while to settle in and for us to get our bearings.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
It took me an entire episode to realize that her new outfit is totally polaroid themed.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Was ok-ish, not bad, not great. Felt it started off better than it ended.
The teeth thing was silly.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely excellent. I really like the new tone of the series, it feels much more UK drama than Who campy.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I really enjoyed that. I thought Jodie did a great job, honestly i am hoping that the three companions stick around for next season.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
That felt good in a reliable way. Excellently shot, and the audio treatment is an immense improvement. Jodie's delivery feels a bit odd to me, but I'll get used to it. Reminds me of Lucie so so much.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Slower-paced, less manic drama.
Smaller-scale alien threat that doesn't endanger the whole planet.
Things the Doctor doesn't immediately recognise.
People actually dying.
The Doctor jury-rigging technology instead of just sonicing everything.

Honestly, it's like Chris Chibnall read my series wish list.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really enjoyed it.

It was paced really well, the characters were fun folk.

Previous NUWho series often seemed to rush through stuff, but I liked that it was more slow.

Cinematography and art design was excellent.

Jodie is very good, I got Troughton vibes for sure.

It looked greaaaat.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Was pretty good, Whittaker was great, the story isn't the best and I certainly cringed at how many people ran at the 'predator' and just died.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
That was amazing.

Praise Chibnall!

Really enjoyed that episode. The teeth thing was silly but it's Doctor Who, it's supposed to be a bit silly.

LOVE the new companions and LOVE Jodie. I teared up a little bit near the end.

I cannot wait for the next one. What a cliffhanger lol.

The new titles and theme looked and sounded great. Fit's the new tone. I wonder what the new tardis interior is going to look like?

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Anyone else hoping that the core four stick around for more than one season (i feel like a 2-3 season run for the companions would work well)

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was decent.

Its totally still Doctor Who. They Doctor is a lady now but still the Doctor.

It all looked and sounded very nice and seems in line with the high production values of the last few seasons

Deleted member 1478

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I enjoyed that. Whittaker's Doctor reminds me a bit of Matt Smith's quirkier, bit more alien Doctor so I'm looking forward to seeing more from her. I kept expecting a surprise character during that list at the end that we would recognise. I do hope we still get one somewhere down the line.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
"I like this grandmother. She's not on the promotional signs, so I hope she's going to be a recurring character like Jackie. She's going to fucking die, isn't she?"

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

Can't be the only one who thought this the moment they saw the alien ship.

Static Veins

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Loved it. Jodie is a perfect fit for the role and I like our new companions - especially Bradders!

Cinematography was gorgeous and the whole show just felt a bit more "mature" while still holding onto that Doctor Who cheesiness. Chibnall's Broadchurch pedigree shining through.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Meh writing

Jodie Whittaker - great
Special Effects - Awesome
Character and Set Design - Awesome
Characters - Bradley walsh so so to meh, the rest bloody great as they'd say in Yorkshire
Location - Moved from my homecountry (Wales) to England (sheffield to be precise boooo lol friendly banter, I lve the Yorkies me (Leeds utd fan, Def Leppard etc)
Creature -
Tim Shaw The Tooth Fairy Predator was very unusal lol, I liked him in his Armour and the design of the Teeth as trophies making up his face was creepy not bad but could have done without the Teeth thing lmao, also the Spaghetti cable monster or ball of elastics was Silly and yet perfect as a homage to the campy monsters of Classic Who
I also liked that it had a very Filmic look to it.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was an okay episode, nothing special. Starting the series off with "y'all have seen Predator, right?" is a bit lazy tbh. But Whittaker herself was fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing her as the Doctor in a better episode.

Slower-paced, less manic drama.
Smaller-scale alien threat that doesn't endanger the whole planet.
Things the Doctor doesn't immediately recognise.
People actually dying.
The Doctor jury-rigging technology instead of just sonicing everything.

Honestly, it's like Chris Chibnall read my series wish list.
Yeah, I agree with all of this. I hope this episode is really indicative of the tone and pace of the rest of the series.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
ooohkaaayyy.. I am not feeling jodie at all, everybody else was acting way better

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
Episode isn't over yet but so far this has been great. It's rare that the first episode of a new Doctor has actually made me tear up.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
I really like the new direction. Excellent cinematography and very atmospheric. However I thought it had a rather bland script, and it certainly didn't come close to anything like The Eleventh Hour for me. I fully expected this but it does make me fear this is about the best I can expect from Chibnall's writing. And that certainly doesn't make me feel like it justified that we're only getting 10 episodes.

Also, errr, I'm surprisingly conflicted on Jodie's performance, I really expected to adore her take on the Doctor from the start. Like, there were moments there where I thought her delivery just felt a little... flat? Here's hoping she grows on me but her performance actually felt a bit weak to me here... Damn.

And when it comes to the companions, or friends as we're calling them now, I'm a bit worried about the size of the team. Usually the opener does a good job of selling the companion to me, but I'm feeling no attachment here. Yasmin Khan especially felt really underdeveloped...

Anyway, I still like it well enough? I mean, I'm sure there are going to be other episodes that'll be more to my liking.

Deleted member 20202

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cymru
Yeah seeing as I'm 35 hrs into DQXI then I saw the slime. Anyway probably as good a regeneration episode since 11th hr though not as good. Better than Rose and Christmas invasion.

Easily the best Who Chibnall has done.
Jodie was brilliant and that bit on the crane convinced me she is gonna do bloody great in the role.

I'm reading the delight at the spoon as a 7th Dr nod.

Bradley Walsh can actually act. Who knew.
Music was very decent and markedly different to anything Murray did and the new theme at the end is the most similar it's been to the original for decades

It was really good if a tad slow on occasion. I just hope the yutes loved it.