• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't get why they were all mad at her for leaving them for 10 months. I mean, she was in space jail and goofed on the return time. It's not like she purposely said F 'em

Also tired of daleks(and cybermen). They need to give them a rest for a long while
I couldn't get past this either. They were mad at her and she felt guilty. It wasn't her fault and when she explained they didn't care. I'm so done with Chiball. Man if that was the 12th Doctor and they started giving him lip he'd just get back in the TARDIS and be done with their asses.

Yeah I miss Moffat in a big way.

Last edited:

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, this was the best thing Chibnall has done so far with the show, this image had me laughing:

vlcsnap-2021-01-02-23k0j88.png

Ugh, the Heaven Sent suite playing during the regeneration still gets me. What an incredible piece of music.

I bought this album back in '19 in the UK and had my portable CD player (I mean, I had to listen to the music somehow) with me. Went disc by disc and this started playing completely unexpected. And I was crying like a little bitch in the tube, no joke. This music is so bloody good!

So the whole cliffhanger setup of sending the Doctor to prison amounted to nothing more than a means to distance her from the "fam" and justify the two boys leaving the show? Because there was absolutely no further exploration of why she was there, what was the real impact. No meaningful interactions with other prisoners (whom she'd obviously know plenty), just a couple of lighthearted gags. Watching her doing nothing and just marking days was absolutely un-Doctor like.

And then we get a bog-standard Dalek fight. woof.

Seems that they pulled the prison ending for a few reasons. But I think the biggest one is to give the audience a cliffhanger that will cause them to want to return. It hooked me, but unfortunately, the pay-off was piss poor in the end. It would've been the same if the cliffhanger for Voyage of the Damned happened as it did, The Doctor entered the ship and walked away within the first ten minutes just to have a completely separate adventure. Absolutely nothing in the final episode had anything to do with the prison in the end once they got out.

And you'd think seeing two different Dalek kind having a battle would be an amazing visual, but it came down to seeing seven Dalek of each fire at each other from a top down perspective, and that was it. Talk about a wet fart...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I bought this album back in '19 in the UK and had my portable CD player (I mean, I had to listen to the music somehow) with me. Went disc by disc and this started playing completely unexpected. And I was crying like a little bitch in the tube, no joke. This music is so bloody good!

Fun fact: I have all of the New Who Doctors' regeneration themes on my phone as musical writing aids.

I wish Jodie's Doctor and her stories had enough presence for me to associate them with specific emotional moods like Vale Decem and the Shepherd's Boy do.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: I have all of the New Who Doctors' regeneration themes on my phone as musical writing aids.

I wish Jodie's Doctor and her stories had enough presence for me to associate them with specific emotional moods like Vale Decem and the Shepherd's Boy do.
Terrific! I want to get my hands on all scores, but seems a bunch of the older ones are out of print. This is going to be somewhat of a trouble. Speaking of regeneration themes, I absolutely adore this bit from 11/12:

This regeneration happened so quickly that my reaction was pretty similar to Clara. But that music plays with your expectations and goes full force after it happened. Absolutely stellar!

Oct 25, 2017
I could say a bunch about this episode but I'll leave it simply at this for now: It was fun to see Jack return, but I look forward to when chibs leaves

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Terrific! I want to get my hands on all scores, but seems a bunch of the older ones are out of print. This is going to be somewhat of a trouble. Speaking of regeneration themes, I absolutely adore this bit from 11/12:

This regeneration happened so quickly that my reaction was pretty similar to Clara. But that music plays with your expectations and goes full force after it happened. Absolutely stellar!

Also, the reprise of the Gallifrey and Ten's themes when Eleven broke the limit.

Murray Gold got a little long in the tooth by the end, but when he worked, he worked.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My biggest issue with Chibnall's run continued in this ep:

feel_nothingopjtv.gif

I don't know what it is about Chibnall's writing, but I just don't feel connected to anyone in his show. Even Jack's parts just felt like warmed-up leftovers from previous episodes, as much as it was nice to see Barrowman again.

Storywise, it just feels so familiar. The crappy-looking earth-built Daleks and Kaled mutants riding around on people's backs may be deliberate callbacks to last year, but that didn't stop them feeling like more of the same. The "Doctor arrives a year late" felt like the similar (but much better) subplot from Aliens of London. The Dalek shootout on the bridge felt like the Cyberman bridge shootout from Army of Ghosts. The Daleks zooming around over London felt like half a dozen other Dalek stories.

American Businessman didn't bother me until he decides to throw the human race under the bus and become a Dalek groupie after thinking about it for about, ooh, 15 seconds? Which serves to do nothing for the plot except alert the Daleks to the presence of the Doctor, which they should've been aware of anyway given her parking job on the bridge. And then apparently the Doctor is fine with letting American Businessman profit from selling out his planet, which also, how exactly? Nobody saw him do a damn thing besides the TARDIS crew and the Daleks.

The most affecting part of the companion departure was Bradley Walsh's performance as he realised he needed to sacrifice travelling with the Doctor to stay with his grandson. I kinda want the alternate universe version of this era where it's just Whittaker and Walsh.

And then we end on a sequence involving Ryan's dyspraxia, a character trait so elusive that you could be forgiven for forgetting it was a thing in the first place.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
I found it hilarious that the Doctor was like "send Gwen my love" acting like they're best pals when the only interaction they had was seeing each other for about a minute over a screen in series 4

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
As much as I hated Season 11, I have really enjoyed this season. There are some great character moments this season and in the New Year's episode that I really appreciated. Yeah, it didn't make sense that they would rake the Doctor over the coals so much after 10 months, but everything else felt authentic to me character-wise. Yaz has had some great moments delving into the trauma that comes with being a companion to the doctor...almost dying, the fear of going back to a normal life. Those little moments over the last few episodes with her interacting with Graham, Ryan, and Jack have really allowed her character to grow. I think more solid storytelling and the development of Yaz have been the hilights for Season 12.

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
Why did they bring up the truck driver's mum and have nice pictures of his mum in his cab? I was expecting some blackmail shenanigans where he steals the Dalek to save his mum, but they just killed him off with evil tea. Was it just, this man is a nice human man with a mum? Look at these baddies killing a nice man, now his mum won't see him again. Or was his mum dead and we're supposed to feel extra bad because he's had such a bad year and now he's all murdered to death with tea? Don''t fucking bring up a guy's mum in your script if you're not going to do anything with his mum! Anyway I thought this episode was a bit boring but I liked the TARDIS death trap trick.

I did! Probably the evil tea woman radioed in, and a hundred evil tea women closed their stops and went home.

It feels like a Chibnall trope where he attempts to add some RTD-style emotional development to one-off characters, but it essentially amounts to the person off-handedly mentioning someone they're close to so you inevitably feel bad for them when they die.

Slightly more egregious in both Arachnids in the UK and Resolution where it happens to two gay characters mentioning their respective partners before being unceremoniously killed off, which probably explains why it was a mum this time. And she presumably had cancer too so that makes you feel extra bad right?

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
As usual I continue to be far more positive on the show than most. Sad to see Ryan and Graham leave, especially since it was probably due to all the complaints about the show "not featuring the doctor enough!"🙄 Curious to see how the new companion is handled.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
As usual I continue to be far more positive on the show than most. Sad to see Ryan and Graham leave, especially since it was probably due to all the complaints about the show "not featuring the doctor enough!"🙄 Curious to see how the new companion is handled.

I'll probably miss Graham next season. Bradley Walsh is one of those eat-crow moments where I was fully prepared for Graham to suck, but I will openly admit he was the best part of the show while he was on it.

CalamityPixel

Oct 27, 2017
Was sort of okay, but only for the daft bits like the daleks all charging into the Tardis. The send off at the end reminded me I have absolutely no investment in these chatacters. I Ihink they should have got rid of Yaz as well or not added Bishop, I don't think the group dynamic has worked well in this era of Who. Would have been interesting to see a solo companion.

Either way I'm finding it really hard to stay invested in the show atm.

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
I felt the episode rushed it's way through. Part of me wondered if it would be like Heaven Sent where the Doctor is stuck somewhere and had to use her wits and literally punch a security system main computer only to end up back in her cell. Instead, they seem to fast track everything although I did love the image of the Daleks flying into the Tardis.

Dr. Who really needs to rest using Daleks, Cybermen and the Master next season. I really want the next season to focus on the revelation from The Timeless Children.

Part of me thinks that John Bishop's character will turn out to be a past incarnation of the Doctor who totally forgot about using the Fob Watch and wouldn't know where it is to begin with.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Seems that they pulled the prison ending for a few reasons. But I think the biggest one is to give the audience a cliffhanger that will cause them to want to return. It hooked me, but unfortunately, the pay-off was piss poor in the end. It would've been the same if the cliffhanger for Voyage of the Damned happened as it did, The Doctor entered the ship and walked away within the first ten minutes just to have a completely separate adventure. Absolutely nothing in the final episode had anything to do with the prison in the end once they got out.
That was always one of Moffat's worst excesses. Drop a game changing cliffhanger for people to stew on for 6 months and then resolve it either off-screen or as fast as possible to get to the new shiny idea that won't pay off.

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the episode rushed it's way through. Part of me wondered if it would be like Heaven Sent where the Doctor is stuck somewhere and had to use her wits and literally punch a security system main computer only to end up back in her cell. Instead, they seem to fast track everything although I did love the image of the Daleks flying into the Tardis.

Dr. Who really needs to rest using Daleks, Cybermen and the Master next season. I really want the next season to focus on the revelation from The Timeless Children.

Part of me thinks that John Bishop's character will turn out to be a past incarnation of the Doctor who totally forgot about using the Fob Watch and wouldn't know where it is to begin with.
The only way they can focus on the revelation of The Timeless Children is by retconning it out of the show.
We already have one Doctor floating around unresolved due to a fob watch being opened, we dont need another one in Bishops character.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly better than the last 2 seasons but not by much. Jack being back and doing more than an exposition dump probably helped with that.
Jack and the companions doing a big prison break episode probably would have been much more interesting than another Dalek story.
Graham was really the only good companion of the group of three so I'm kinda sad to see him go, he would be the only of the three I would want to say on the show.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
My one problem is that Yaz is still pretty fucking useless. All she did was complain and get pissed off at the Doctor because she was in jail. But now that she'll be one of two companions, maybe she'll get to do something on the show.

Last edited:

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I liked most of it. It was entertaining without the worst Chinball stuff (and I felt the last season was mostly a big improvement on Series 11).
I liked the Dalek stuff for the most part. Lots of mopey peeps. Graham was almost silent till the epilogue so Ryan could have his moment with the Doctor. I will miss Graham.
Letting Ryan and Graham decide to stay rather the bullshit we've been fed for every modern companion apart from Martha is a big deal for me. I think they deserved it.

So, Yas all of a sudden, totally has the hots for the Doctor right? Or am I reading that wrong. It seems like a Chibnall thing to do.
I only know John Bishop from gameshows so it will be interesting to see where the series goes next season.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it seems Yaz has feelings for the Doctor, because... Reasons? She's been an emotionless wooden plank so far, so where the hell this comes from, who knows...

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
This episode felt like déjà vu but Jack is back so that's a plus. Yaz seems like nu-Martha. Graham and Ryan's departure is whatever to me especially Ryan's. This year was too long because I don't remember anything about a second Tardis and what happened to the other doctor? Let's see if Chibnall manages to keep things engaging next season...

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it seems Yaz has feelings for the Doctor, because... Reasons? She's been an emotionless wooden plank so far, so where the hell this comes from, who knows...
It sounds like a Clara situatation when the doctor is used as a strange analogy for relationship. They should just make them gay imo, Clara and 12's ambigious marriage or whatever, was a tiring, dragged out story.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
This episode felt like déjà vu but Jack is back so that's a plus. Yaz seems like nu-Martha. Graham and Ryan's departure is whatever to me especially Ryan's. This year was too long because I don't remember anything about a second Tardis and what happened to the other doctor? Let's see if Chibnall manages to keep things engaging next season...
I think the second TARDIS was one they found in the series 12 finale

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm glad Ryan explained via monologue about all the stuff he's done over the past ten months and all the character development he went through. Wouldnt want to burden the writers with having to actually write or show me any story. I like this method of vagluey infering jt in a half-hearted manner for a single scene after the fact.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Worth noting that The Mirror has an incredibly good Doctor Who leak/rumor track record, going all the way back to the Tennant years. So I'd think that is legit. Report also says that Chibnall will continue on & cast the next Doctor.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Considering episode count, I honestly figured she'd stay onboard for another series.
But guess that's out of the window. Would've preferred her to stay and Chibbs getting the boot.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Honestly, i have my doubts especially considering what Jodie said about staying on the role as long as possible due to Covid. I could be 100% wrong and Mirror have a pretty good track record sooo "shrugs"

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I mean 3 seasons as the Doctor is usual business these days. Let's hope her final season will be as strong as Capaldi's.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
3 seasons is pretty standard but it's a shame that she wasn't the Doctor during a better era for the show. And I didn't realize the next season was being cut short due to covid, with only 8 episodes and presumably the holiday special. Maybe cutting episodes will led to a stronger set of scripts (doubtful), and not have something on the level of Orphan 55.

Guess that means the 60th anniversary could potentially have 6 Doctors for a special if this is her last season.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sad that Jodie's final season will be a short one too

3 seasons is pretty standard but it's a shame that she wasn't the Doctor during a better era for the show. And I didn't realize the next season was being cut short due to covid, with only 8 episodes and presumably the holiday special. Maybe cutting episodes will led to a stronger set of scripts (doubtful), and not have something on the level of Orphan 55.

Guess that means the 60th anniversary could potentially have 6 Doctors for a special if this is her last season.

If 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and Ruth Doctor show up we could have 7

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Fuck it, have her regenerate into Capaldi for 6 eps then Matt Smith for 6 eps (it's not like they're busy atm) and there be some big mystery as to why the Doctor is regenerating backwards - throw in some River Song and we'll be right as rain. It all leads back to Tennant, then finally the final episode has him regenerating back into Eccleston for one episode for the 60th anniversary, with some bullshit like a 'Time Collapse' or whatever.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it, have her regenerate into Capaldi for 6 eps then Matt Smith for 6 eps (it's not like they're busy atm) and there be some big mystery as to why the Doctor is regenerating backwards - throw in some River Song and we'll be right as rain. It all leads back to Tennant, then finally the final episode has him regenerating back into Eccleston for one episode for the 60th anniversary, with some bullshit like a 'Time Collapse' or whatever.
That sounds so awesome!

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely believe the story, but the news that Chibnall will be casting her successor (and consequently will probably be staying on for a few seasons after at least) is... unwelcome.

DECK’ARD

Creator of Worms
Verified
Nov 26, 2017
UK

I'm sold.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No to casting old Doctors for new episodes for me. Doing it for special multi-Doctor episodes every once in a while is fine, but Doctor Who should always have its eyes on the future.