• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so just completely lost the end of year special now? just starting the series on NYD? lol
They delayed the series by three months, and didn't get the chance to film an extra special to fill in the gap.

They filmed exactly the same amount for this series as the last (ie. 10 standard episodes and 1 longer special).

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Looks like the series 12 finale will air on March 1st and then we will probably have to wait for January 2021 for a new episode again.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Spyfall is a dreadful title and the Bond people got very pissy when Star Trek referenced Bond so I can imagine this Not Ending Well.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope I'm back early enough from the UK to watch the episode here in The Netherlands, but I'm afraid I'll probably have to rewatch it the day after :(

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
how does RTD manage to juggle doctor who, torchwood and sarah jane adventures and chibbers can't manage 10 episodes a year

is this bbc penny pinching or chibbers incompetence?

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
how does RTD manage to juggle doctor who, torchwood and sarah jane adventures and chibbers can't manage 10 episodes a year

is this bbc penny pinching or chibbers incompetence?
Russell T. Davies is an inhuman television-making machine, and we were lucky to have him in charge.

Still, Torchwood and TSJA had other creative teams in place with RTD overseeing, rather than him being as hands-on, if you read The Writer's Tale, the other two get incredibly short shrift from him in comparison to the mothership.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch it, as a life long Doctor Who fan I will never miss an episode, but I just cant get hyped up for it no matter how much I think about it.

We'll be around 3 years and a bit next year until the 60th, I fucking hope Chibnall has fucked off by that point and someone gives it the boost of energy it so desperately needs.

I'm probably thinking from a negative point here, but it genuinely feels like the BBC might try and can it for a few years after the 60th, which right now wouldn't be a bad thing to let it rest for a decade or so.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch it, as a life long Doctor Who fan I will never miss an episode, but I just cant get hyped up for it no matter how much I think about it.

We'll be around 3 years and a bit next year until the 60th, I fucking hope Chibnall has fucked off by that point and someone gives it the boost of energy it so desperately needs.

I'm probably thinking from a negative point here, but it genuinely feels like the BBC might try and can it for a few years after the 60th, which right now wouldn't be a bad thing to let it rest for a decade or so.

Feels like the 50th was only last year or so.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I reckon if it's flagging by the 60th they'll do a New Who multi-Doctor episode to cap it off and then put it on hiatus for five years. I'm sure Moffat or Chibnall has said something about the BBC thinking about a planned hiatus.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Julie Gardner deserves a lot of the credit form what I keep hearing. Davies and Gardner were a great team.
For sure. Without Gardner, RTD's tenure would have more resembled Moffat's imo. Not in terms of quality of output or anything like that, butI mean the wheels came off the production pretty early in Moffat's run (they were already splitting up seasons as soon as year two) and he either didn't have a producer as strong as Gardner or one he gelled with as well as RTD did with Gardner to help provide a guardrail for keeping things straight the way she did.

Although I think Moffat did end up getting there eventually with Brian Minchin during the Capaldi era, which was a much more consistent production than the Smith years (2016 gap year notwithstanding, which iirc was more because of the BBC than Moffat, who had been planning to leave the prior year).

I reckon if it's flagging by the 60th they'll do a New Who multi-Doctor episode to cap it off and then put it on hiatus for five years. I'm sure Moffat or Chibnall has said something about the BBC thinking about a planned hiatus.
I think it would have to be *really* flagging for them to put it on hiatus again. Even if it's not hitting the same numbers it did in the UK with Tennant or in the US with Smith, it's still one of their biggest marquee brands.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I think what I would like is for them to make and release what they can 'comfortably' produce in a year (I mean it will always be a difficult show to make but you know what I mean), even if that's just 6 episodes or whatever. I think the slightly more than a year model has worked quite well for Star Trek Discovery but it just doesn't seem right for Doctor Who and frankly I don't think we're really seeing it on the screen.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think what I would like is for them to make and release what they can 'comfortably' produce in a year (I mean it will always be a difficult show to make but you know what I mean), even if that's just 6 episodes or whatever. I think the slightly more than a year model has worked quite well for Star Trek Discovery but it just doesn't seem right for Doctor Who and frankly I don't think we're really seeing it on the screen.
You mean to say you're not enjoying those extra 5 minutes an episode??

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Spyfall is a dreadful title and the Bond people got very pissy when Star Trek referenced Bond so I can imagine this Not Ending Well.

Well, given that this has been around for three years now:

E9jsYXU.png

...I think JB isn't that litigious.

Nov 7, 2019
My wife is a big fan of Doctor Who and has started me on the show. I'm 7 episodes into the first season of the reboot and I'm just not into it yet. Any advice?

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
My wife is a big fan of Doctor Who and has started me on the show. I'm 7 episodes into the first season of the reboot and I'm just not into it yet. Any advice?
Wait until the next Doctor shows up in a few episodes and see if you like him better; try the 11th Doctor, which begins the era of a new showrunner and might be more to your liking, or...just tell your wife it isn't for you and save yourself the time. It's okay to not like a thing!

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
David Tennant? You could try a different Doctor, maybe try the first ep with each new one to see if that's more appealing to you. Most place Tennant at or near the top for recent Doctors though, so it's probably just not for you.

Mentioning it because Who has been going for so long and maybe she's been a fan for a long time, has she seen the classic Blake's 7? That's something else you could try together. All the eps are on YT on the official channel.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia

The next one Father's Day is interesting.
Boom Town is skippable.
The 2-parters The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances and Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways are great.

Might be worth watching a couple of Tenant, Matt, Peter episodes a crack to see if you like the style better. Maybe start with the Day of the Doctor special with Tenant, Matt and John Hurt.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Might be worth watching a couple of Tenant, Matt, Peter episodes a crack to see if you like the style better. Maybe start with the Day of the Doctor special with Tenant, Matt and John Hurt.
I would say myself to absolutely avoid this one, it has pretty huge story ramifications for the first three new Doctors and shouldn't really be watched before finishing Tennant's episodes.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Just soldier on for the first season and see if you're interested to continue at the end of it.

That's bad advice.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

The first series (with Eccleston, the guy in the leather jacket) is extremely uneven, but it really picks up for the final stretch of episodes for the most part.

My advice would be: get through to the end of this series and see the start of the next Doctor. If the next Doctor isn't clicking for you within a good few episodes, at that point it might be time to either give up entirely OR move forward to the NEXT Doctor (that's Series 5, Episode 1, fwiw). The one interesting/exciting thing about this show is that it's in the nature of it that it morphs; the lead changes, the supporting cast changes, the people running the show changes, the format changes. Some things are constants, but if the style of one era isn't for you, you might find enjoyment in another.

I think a lot of people who were there at the time would argue the era from 2005-2009 is one of the best, but it was made on a shoestring budget even for the time, so it's aged particularly poorly in terms of the look and feel of the show, already... which doesn't help newcomers coming in.

Nov 7, 2019
Thank you all for your recommendations. We watched the Father's Day episode and I really enjoyed that one. Liked the story. We watched the first part of empty child before bed and I'm liking that one alot as well. I feel like these last two episodes have been quite good.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Series one has a ton of good ideas, but the execution of the first bunch is all over the place. You can very clearly tell every one was still finding their footing throughout it. The last bunch of episodes is where the show really picks up, even with a couple of really corny moments spread through the episodes. "I can't just eat chips while he's out there somewhere saving the world!"

I'm pretty sure that moment wasn't meant to make one laugh, but I completely lost it.

OP
OP
Dwebble

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone's interested, they've announced three new Target novelisations in the vein of The Day of the Doctor, Rose, The Christmas Invasion and Twice Upon a Time books last year.

They are:
Dalek, by Rob Shearman
The Crimson Horror, by Mark Gatiss
The Witchfinders, by Joy Wilkinson

The Day of the Doctor novelisation was the best thing to go out with a Doctor Who logo on it in many years- I hope these three are allowed to expand upon the source material as much as that one and Rose were.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone's interested, they've announced three new Target novelisations in the vein of The Day of the Doctor, Rose, The Christmas Invasion and Twice Upon a Time books last year.

They are:
Dalek, by Rob Shearman
The Crimson Horror, by Mark Gatiss
The Witchfinders, by Joy Wilkinson

The Day of the Doctor novelisation was the best thing to go out with a Doctor Who logo on it in many years- I hope these three are allowed to expand upon the source material as much as that one and Rose were.

Not just those three.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Be brilliant if they could also get Jonathan Pryce to reprise his role as the master in Big Finish master cross over, I know he was a parody Master, but who cares, it'll be brilliant.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
That design is so goddamn busy, and they barely shown it on the show, I have no hope of finding what new thing they're talking about

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
I read 'Can you spot anything new?' and immediately started looking for teeth welded to the console. Series 11, what have you done to me?