• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'll believe it when I can actually see the episodes. I've still only seen The Woman Who Fell To Earth and they've in no way made the rest of the season accessible to me anywhere I could watch it without paying an absurd amount of money.

Fingers crossed Chibnall gets his shit together though, Jodie deserves a good run.
Warners has it tied up for HBO Max, which doesn't release until May

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'll believe it when I can actually see the episodes. I've still only seen The Woman Who Fell To Earth and they've in no way made the rest of the season accessible to me anywhere I could watch it without paying an absurd amount of money.

Fingers crossed Chibnall gets his shit together though, Jodie deserves a good run.
eBay has copies of the series 11 DVD set for $10 shipped, which, if all you want to do is see it, is hardly absurd, unless you're anti-physical media. Buying it digitally is $25, which, again, hardly seems like a ridiculous amount. My local library system even has multiple copies available. I mean, it's not like this is difficult to get if you actually want to see it, which, judging from the opinion you've already formed from one episode, it seems like you don't.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
eBay has copies of the series 11 DVD set for $10 shipped, which, if all you want to do is see it, is hardly absurd, unless you're anti-physical media. Buying it digitally is $25, which, again, hardly seems like a ridiculous amount. My local library system even has multiple copies available. I mean, it's not like this is difficult to get if you actually want to see it, which, judging from the opinion you've already formed from one episode, it seems like you don't.

I actually don't dislike the premiere overall. But I just don't usually enjoy paying money for TV beyond what I'm already forced to.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Taking Who off Netflix was a big mistake. It really helped increase its popularity internationally.

EvilRedEye

Oct 29, 2017
Lenny Henry was in Chibnall's Boardchurch apparently so it kinda makes sense. I feel like his casting probably would have been more impactful at the start of the RTD era, his profile has gone down a bit in recent years.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I actually don't know much about Lenny Henry.
He's mostly known in the UK for being a comedian, very popular from the late 70's to mid 90's with Tiswas, The Lenny Henry Show and Chef. Seeing that comment that he was in Broadchurch, I googled that and sure enough, he was a regular there. I watched that season and don't think I recognized him. His profile has dropped considerably from that peak period 25+ years ago.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
He's mostly known in the UK for being a comedian, very popular from the late 70's to mid 90's with Tiswas, The Lenny Henry Show and Chef. Seeing that comment that he was in Broadchurch, I googled that and sure enough, he was a regular there. I watched that season and don't think I recognized him. His profile has dropped considerably from that peak period 25+ years ago.
He's been doing a PhD over the past few years, so maybe was on a break.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Kill the Moon and Mummy on the Orient Express tonight. An actually great double feature that gets at the heart of Twelve and Clara's relationship. Jenna also just crushes it on the ending of Kill the Moon.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Kill the Moon and Mummy on the Orient Express tonight. An actually great double feature that gets at the heart of Twelve and Clara's relationship. Jenna also just crushes it on the ending of Kill the Moon.
Yeah, I find Kill the Moon to be really underrated, and they just work so well together. Some of Jenna Coleman's best acting there. The development of the relationship between Twelve and Clara is well beyond any Doctor/companion IMO.

May 26, 2018
That's not really a thing you could retcon

Yes, you could. You absolutely could. It's easy, relatively speaking. It's fiction so you find a clever or satisfying story to do it in. God knows you could ask Steven Moffat and he'd give you about five or six different ways to do it. Russell T would make an extremely dramatic two-parter about it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Retconning in Doctor Who is probably the easiest thing you can imagine. The series does it pretty much non stop.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Moffat literally handwaved away every single mass-humanity-impacting event over the RTD era in one line. And it was fine!

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
i spend one week away from this thread and basically all is that is left is a new series trailer being posted =P

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure the moon being an egg will just never be brought up again.

The episode itself was a sort of a retcon wasn't it? The Doctor says that witnessing the moon give birth to a giant alien creature is what inspires humanity to start going back into out space again, ultimately leaving Earth and forming their many great and bountiful human empires...but hadn't Ten said back in Waters of Mars that that was all inspired by Adelaide's death and the destruction of the Mars base?

ultimately it's a show about time travel, where history is malleable whenever the writers need it to be. So it probably doesn't matter.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what the comments are and if they're actually sexist but 13 has been by far the worst Doctor of New Who. Whether Chibnall exclusively can be blamed for that is up for debate of course.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Not sure what the comments are and if they're actually sexist but 13 has been by far the worst Doctor of New Who. Whether Chibnall exclusively can be blamed for that is up for debate of course.
Right. I think chalking it up to just "woman!!!" is disingenuous, though there is likely some number of people who hate her because of that.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
There were some comments about regarding the series overall, but I'm talking the comments that exclusively mention Jodie, with no mention of the series, just comments like "not my Doctor", and shit like that.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
There were some comments about regarding the series overall, but I'm talking the comments that exclusively mention Jodie, with no mention of the series, just comments like "not my Doctor", and shit like that.
I think there were enough flaws in her characterization of the role last year that those comments still aren't all necessarily just sexism. TBH, while I don't think she's as much at fault as Chibs is, I still don't think she did anything more than a serviceable job using the material to make the character her own.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Jodie's been an excellent Doctor with some slightly variable scripts, just like pretty much every other actor to ever take the part. I'd certainly put her first year over Tennant or Capaldi's first, both of which were very rough seasons.
Excited we're getting the new series soon.