• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
"here's the white guy, 'Let me show you how power works.'"

Tbh I don't love the explanation, I feel like the other lore based/non-commercialization reasons are solid enough on there own, didn't need that embellishment.

If anyone saw Dr Strange coming into that finale and all they think about is a white savior, then I question the perspective.

He is supposed to be completely in tune to all the mystic arts going on with Earth, theres a direct and obvious reason to explain why he would be there. It's almost more of a 'what the heck is going on' that he didn't have some involvement.

(Unless ofcourse it can be explained away that the barrier hid the magic magicness from the outside world etc etc which is probably what they decided)

Still loved the show, warts and all. Really excited for the future

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I might've agreed with this had I not just watched Captain Marvel. Monica hung out with shapeshifting aliens and told her mom to go wreck shit in space when she was a little girl. Even in her brainwashed state in Wandavision, she didn't seem too phased at that house going ape shit while she helped suddenly-pregnant Wanda give birth.

They already established Monica just rolls with the craziness, getting powers from walking through a hex is prolly the least craziest thing that has happened to her up to this point.
Indeed, she was on a mission, just getting stuff done was in character. Though I understand if folks find it weird that she never has any moments of introspection on the topic. Maybe having Darcy ask and her respond that she was solving the problem first would have worked. Hang that lantern.

Chalk it up to Covid messing with the ability to do pickups or reshoots.

I assume with a regular production someone might have addressed that item and/or reworked the "they'll never understand what you gave up", rewording that to something like "they'll never understand you gave up your children and husband, ect".

The pieces were there, but the polish was a little lacking.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Now I really wish they brought in Dr Strange but I am guessing the part where he would show up will actually be in the second dr strange movie

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Tbh I don't love the explanation, I feel like the other lore based/non-commercialization reasons are solid enough on there own, didn't need that embellishment.

If anyone saw Dr Strange coming into that finale and all they think about is a white savior, then I question the perspective.

He is supposed to be completely in tune to all the mystic arts going on with Earth, theres a direct and obvious reason to explain why he would be there. It's almost more of a 'what the heck is going on' that he didn't have some involvement.

(Unless ofcourse it can be explained away that the barrier hid the magic magicness from the outside world etc etc which is probably what they decided)

I respect that Fiege seems to want to actively avoid "Dues Ex Machina" or introducing characters at the last minute (save for Endgame of course), in addition to the concerns about what it means to have Strange show up in other contexts. It makes for better story telling if folks have everything the need for the third act by the end of the second act.

To your point, it was a little weird to not have him show up in the after credits scene, maybe by interrupting Wanda during her trance asking her to talk.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Should've had him in a post credit scene or something. I hope Brie Larson will be in Ms Marvel because if she isn't I'm just gonna assume they don't want the big names in the D+ series.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

It's the exact same reasoning for not having Johnny Cage in Mortal Kombat which is think is silly as well. Strange or Cage don't have to come in and fix all the problems. Strange could have come to Westview after everything happened, could've seen Agatha and made a comment about hearing about her or whatever lol. A short cameo to show he's on pursuit and will catch up to Wanda to question her.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017

I mean you're not totally wrong. A mystical event occurring on the scale that we've seen by the time Wanda expands the Hex makes complete sense for Strange, or at least someone from the Sanctums, to get involved.

But Fiege is absolutely correct in terms of character development for Wanda. Strange showing up would actively hamper her story, as it's difficult to justify his presence without almost immediately neutralizing her as a threat and messing with her coming to terms with the reality of her situation.
These things are always clunky. Realistically speaking, at least some of the Avengers would show up for a lot of the threats in solo movies. But they don't. Still, despite the weird plot shortcomings so far, I think they do a good job nailing the emotional component for these characters. I wish they'd consistently manage to nail both, but if I have to choose, character always wins over plot coherence.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think they made the right call, but I think having him in the stinger would've been fine. Then it doesn't interfere with her story, but it could've kept him from looking like a deadbeat Sorcerer Supreme and set up what comes next. I unno

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehh its clear that Wanda is way, way more powerful than Strange, she just lacks the training. I wouldn't have taken a Strange cameo that way personally.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I get their reasoning and I agree with it.

but I also feel like in universe it would have made sense for strange to appear since that's what his role is to deal with that kind of stuff.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Sam Wilson isn't or wasn't on the same level as Strange, Marvel, Thor or the GOTG. The series did good in helping and I'm sure the movie will solidify him as A tier. Steve Rodgers showing up would've been a big name to show up in the series and they couldn't even say whether he was alive or dead.

Okay, but Feige's argument applies here also: Steve showing up would've upstaged Sam IMO, and the entire up to Civil War has been "white dude heroes" save for Black Widow. Talk about undercutting the significance of passing the mantle to a Black man just because Steve is beloved. It's not as clean or thematically circle without a Steve or Strange cameo in either show, but I am with Marvel about getting rid of these tired, almost patriarchal tropes propelling content that is striving to be more inclusive as it progresses.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Should've had him in a post credit scene or something. I hope Brie Larson will be in Ms Marvel because if she isn't I'm just gonna assume they don't want the big names in the D+ series.
That doesn't really track with what Feige has said so far. He even said they have an idea of what a season 2 of FATWS would look like. They talked about how, depending on the story, you'll have characters moving back and forth between series and feature films.

It'll depend on the character and the story they wanna tell. I can absolutely see a Scarlet Witch movie happening. And later maybe she'd team up with a another character in a 6-part TV show. Sam Wilson can go from Captain America 4 to a part in a Thunderbolts show, or Armor Wars.

Obviously characters that didn't get multiple movies already are more ripe for a TV show that gives them more time to breath and develop. With actors that have had contracts going back several years already, it can get a bit complicated when negotiating this stuff. But I expect they'll blur the lines even more than before as to where any of the characters could show up going forward.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Okay, but Feige's argument applies here also: Steve showing up would've upstaged Sam IMO, and the entire up to Civil War has been "white dude heroes" save for Black Widow. Talk about undercutting the significance of passing the mantle to a Black man just because Steve is beloved. It's not as clean or thematically circle without a Steve or Strange cameo in either show, but I am with Marvel about getting rid of these tired, almost patriarchal tropes propelling content that is striving to be more inclusive as it progresses.
Old Man Steve watching Sam's speech on tv wouldn't hurt or upstage Sam at all. It would've been awesome if Steve or Strange showed up in the series and when I say that I mean cameos or post credit scenes. Im not asking for them to be a big part in the plot or to be a savior. They would've make sense which is all that matters to me but they have a plan and know what they wanna do.

Otnopolit

Oct 28, 2017
Old Man Steve watching Sam's speech on tv wouldn't hurt or upstage Sam at all. It would've been awesome if Steve or Strange showed up in the series and when I say that I mean cameos or post credit scenes. Im not asking for them to be a big part in the plot or to be a savior. They would've make sense which is all that matters to me but they have a plan and know what they wanna do.

To each their own! I had said earlier in the season that I really didn't see Sam transforming into Cap organically without a big boost from Steve showing up, but I found it authentic when Walker did what he did.

But this is a tangent to the thread! Strange and Wanda will hopefully be a meeting of the minds.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
They planned it, pandemic happened and they didn't have enough time to get Cumberbatch to film and finish CGI so they cut.
There are still some footages of Monica, the twins and Fiero teamup and fight the cat that get cut because they dont have time to finish CGI.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they didn't shoehorn strange, but that finale is still terrible. Monica's line made me want to vomit.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They jammed Skrulls in there, they could have made him work. Just have him show up in town looking for her but too late or something.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Dr. Strange should've at least appeared in the end credits scene where ever Wanda was staying with a "We need to talk" or something a long those lines.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile, Elizabeth Olsen is pushing back on criticism that Wanda got off too easy by flying away without punishment after she forced an entire town of people into her sitcom fantasy world. "She had to get away before the people who have to hold her accountable got there," she says. "And where she went is a place that no one could find her. Because she knows that she is going to be held accountable, and I think she has a tremendous amount of guilt."
I'm not sure I buy that. The criticism still stands. Olsen is basically confirming that her character got off easy, not the opposite. Wanda left the scene so that she wouldn't have to face consequences. If she wanted to be moral, she would have turned herself in with the acknowledgment of the pain and suffering she had caused.