• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guess the tomatometer!

• 100-90%

Votes: 43 8.6%
  • 89-80%

Votes: 204 41.0%
  • 79-70%

Votes: 188 37.8%
  • 69-60%

Votes: 38 7.6%
  • 59-50%

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • 49-0%

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters
Feb 16, 2022
No because it's all explained in the movie. If someone seriously only watched the movie and thought "Why does Wanda care about those kids" I think they have bigger problems than not watching Wandavision,
Then you get another question: "When did she conjure these kids?" "Why was all this 'her making up her kids' thing not shown in the movie?". There's no version of this argument where people won't miss anything without watching Wandavision.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Then you get another question: "When did she conjure these kids?" "Why did all this not shown in the movie?". There's no version of this argument where people won't miss anything without watching Wandavision.
I never said they wouldn't miss "anything". I said if you skipped WV you didn't miss "anything important".

Which is obvious right. You don't spend millions on a movie that people won't follow without watching a seperate tv show or even another movie. You have to assume every movie is someone's first.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Came out of this movie absolutely buzzing. I loved everything about it.
It followed up on Wandavision perfectly with Wanda's grief and power having absolutely corrupted her. Her whole arc has been great and I can't wait to see where she shows up next and in what capacity.
I really enjoyed America Chavez, great character with heaps of charisma, though I felt in a slightly longer cut there could have been more time to develop her from "I CAN'T DO IT" to suddenly "ah yeah, I got this". She'll do well in whatever Marvel are cooking up for Young Avengers/Champions. That team up is looking hype as hell.

Strange himself was great. Perfect display of tired dad vibes & the cocky Stephen Strange we've come to know. Felt like some real character growth and I love that they didn't awkwardly veer towards a successful romance plot.

The Raimi horror of it all was utterly perfect & really made the movie stand out from other MCU films imo. From the moment the eye monster was killed with that satisfying SCHHLLLUKK I knew we were in for an Evil Dead esque treat & omg I was so right. Beautiful.

The takedown of the Illuminati was brutal & set Wanda up as a real top tier threat. I particularly loved her coming out of the gong & the jumpscare takedown of Xavier. Horrid.

That Strange vs Strange fight scene was one of my favourites ever. So fun.

I'm tempted to go see this again in a couple of weeks, which is very rare for me.
Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags
Duuuuuuude... I'm watching the movie on sunday....

Last edited by a moderator:

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Her whole motivation is important. "What happened between Endgame and this movie" is also important for many. You don't get to decide what's important.
I can give my opinion on what is important as much as you can. It's fine to disagree without making stuff up like hearing people leaving the cinema saying "Why did she suddenly care about some kids?" lmao

Feb 16, 2022
I can give my opinion on what is important as much as you can. It's fine to disagree without making stuff up like hearing people leaving the cinema saying "Why did she suddenly care about some kids?" lmao
So now you're accusing me of making stuff up. Cool. Never mind that I literally just got home from my second viewing when I heard that. We're just assuming people are lying when they say things we don't like now?

You can say "I wouldn't miss anything important by not watching WV". You saying "if you didn't watch Wandavision you didn't miss anything important" is not that and you know it. The fact that you "jokingly" insulted people's intelligence over something like a movie is pretty telling.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
You can say "I wouldn't miss anything important by not watching WV". You saying "if you didn't watch Wandavision you didn't miss anything important" is not that and you know it.

The first setence there doesn't even make sense. The second is obviously my opinion.This is basic stuff that most people learn in school.

Gone off topic here anyways. My opinion is that Wandavision is unessential viewing to enjoying this movie and that anyone that watched the movie and didn't understand why Wanda cared about those kids is imaginary.

Feb 16, 2022
The first setence there doesn't even make sense. The second is obviously my opinion.This is basic stuff that most people learn in school.
If you say so. Also basic stuff most people learn: not insulting other's intelligence.

I don't get what it is about MCU movies that bring out some of the worst in Marvel fandoms. Truly disappointing.

May 10, 2018
Wandavision is definitely important for this movie. You at least need to watch a recap or have the plot explained to you.

What Wanda does here after Endgame does come across as jarring if you have no context.

Feb 16, 2022
Gone off topic here anyways. My opinion is that Wandavision is unessential viewing to enjoying this movie and that anyone that watched the movie and didn't understand why Wanda cared about those kids is imaginary.
You do realize for people who didn't watch WV, those kids literally came out of nowhere? There were people saying "She had kids???" in their first scene. This isn't some unimaginable reaction. You keep accusing me of making it up because acknowledging that it might be real destroys your flimsy argument.

Sorry, whose intelligence did I insult exactly?
Lol. You have to remember that almost 50% of the population have below average intelligence.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
You do realize for people who didn't watch WV, those kids literally came out of nowhere? There were people saying "She had kids???" in their first scene. This isn't some unimaginable reaction. You keep accusing me of making it up because acknowledging that it might be real destroys your flimsy argument.
The movie explains very well why she cares about those kids. I can't understand how anyone could think that at the end of the movie, as you claimed. If someone here on the forum has that opinion/reaction I'd genuinely love to hear it.

Feb 16, 2022
The movie explains very well why she cares about those kids. I can't understand how anyone could think that at the end of the movie, as you claimed. If someone here on the forum has that opinion/reaction I'd genuinely love to hear it.
Who... said people were saying that at the end of the movie? There was a palpable silence when Wanda first wakes up from the dream, that's how I was able to hear people talking about not knowing about the kids.

The movie didn't explain much about what happened other than Wanda controlled a town and Wanda made up her kids. People being thrown off because they didn't watch these happen in the movies is natural.

All this because you wanted to play down the importance of Wandavision. It's weird. You may think it's not important, but don't go making definitive statements, then, only to make excuses when you get called out for it.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Who... said people were saying that at the end of the movie?
Oh apologies if I misunderstood. You said this:

"Evidently not, as I've just come out of a showing where people were murmuring "Why did she suddenly care about some kids?" "

And I took this to mean you overheard someone saying that leaving the movie

But you actually heard it during the movie? That's totally fair enough and I apologise for misunderstanding.

But that said, I'm sure that person understood why she cared about the kids by the time the movie was over becuase Wandavision is not required viewing to understand that.

Feb 16, 2022
Oh apologies if I misunderstood. You said this:

"Evidently not, as I've just come out of a showing where people were murmuring "Why did she suddenly care about some kids?" "

And I took this to mean you overheard someone saying that leaving the movie

But you actually heard it during the movie? That's totally fair enough and I apologise for misunderstanding.

But that said, I'm sure that person understood why she cared about the kids by the time the movie was over becuase Wandavision is not required viewing to understand that.
But you do understand the point of that statement was that people don't get when did she have the kids? There were legit people who completely missed out on the fact that there are even MCU shows. I personally had to explain to a couple of friends before that the shows are MCU canon.

It's really not an unusual thing for people to wonder "Why did I not see this thing happen in the movies?". This one's a completely personal anecdote: There are many people where I live who don't even know Disney+ is a thing, or how to even subscribe to them(we get Disney+ Hotstar here and they partnered up with a certain provider, so you have to use that certain provider), or haven't really gone into streaming shows in general. I know it's hard to believe, but these people exist, especially in developing countries.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
But you do understand the point of that statement was that people don't get when did she have the kids? There were legit people who completely missed out on the fact that there are even MCU shows. I personally had to explain to a couple of friends before that the shows are MCU canon.

It's really not an unusual thing for people to wonder "Why did I not see this thing happen in the movies?". This one's a completely personal anecdote: There are many people where I live who don't even know Disney+ is a thing, or how to even subscribe to them(we get Disney+ Hotstar here and they partnered up with a certain provider, so you have to use that certain provider), or haven't really gone into streaming shows in general. I know it's hard to believe, but these people exist, especially in developing countries.

No I totally understand that if you want some extra backstory Wandavision is there and it's an ok watch. One of the better Marvel shows for sure, in hindsight. But it is unessential to enjoying this movie.

There's plenty of stuff that happens off screen in the movies that people go along with that doesn't have a tv show. E.g Wanda and Vision between Civil War and Infinity War. There's off screen stuff there that isn't fully covered. And I think if you never heard of Wandavision you'd just assume it was something like that and still totally understand and follow the movie.

Feb 16, 2022
No I totally understand that if you want some extra backstory Wandavision is there and it's an ok watch. One of the better Marvel shows for sure, in hindsight. But it is unessential to enjoying this movie.

There's plenty of stuff that happens off screen in the movies that people go along with that doesn't have a tv show. E.g Wanda and Vision between Civil War and Infinity War. There's off screen stuff there that isn't fully covered. And I think if you never heard of Wandavision you'd just assume it was something like that and still totally understadn and follow the movie.
That is fair. I apologize if I came off rudely, too. I guess I'm just personally miffed at your statement because I've spent years being the guy who had to explain this and that to friends and family members when we watch these movies. People in general, as favorable as they are to these movies, aren't anywhere near as savvy with these stuff as people like us do.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
That is fair. I apologize if I came off rudely, too. I guess I'm just personally miffed at your statement because I've spent years being the guy who had to explain this and that to friends and family members when we watch these movies. People in general, as favorable as they are to these movies, aren't anywhere near as savvy with these stuff as people like us do.
No problem. I apologize aswell. We were arguing two different points which lead to the confusion, but I think we've come to a good middle ground :)

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Wandavision is definitely important for this movie. You at least need to watch a recap or have the plot explained to you.

What Wanda does here after Endgame does come across as jarring if you have no context.

This is true, I'm seeing more and more comments from people online wondering why she's suddenly evil when she was good in Endgame. The movie may state that the kids aren't real, but it does not explain what actually happened in Westview, which was pretty fucked up!

It's not a massive deal, viewers can just roll with it, but they'll definitely have questions leaving the cinema. I suppose it works to Disney's benefit, with the movies and shows sending viewers back and forth.

I think they still could have added an extra (however clunky) line about Wanda brainwashing a town to live a fantasy life because of her grief. Otherwise, like I wrote some people are legit confused why she's a full on villain now lol. The last time they saw her in the movies she was wrecking Thanos and a hero!

Feb 16, 2022
No problem. I apologize aswell. We were arguing two different points which lead to the confusion, but I think we've come to a good middle ground :)
men-still.gif

I think they still could have added an extra (however clunky) line about Wanda brainwashing a town to live a fantasy life because of her grief. Otherwise, like I wrote some people are legit confused why she's a full on villain now lol. The last time they saw her in the movies she was wrecking Thanos and a hero!
There's also a question of "why" in the meta sense. I just took my Ma to watch the movie, and while she watched WV and also caught on that the movie somewhat implied that the Darkhold corrupted her, she still wanted to know "why are they making her a villain?". She thought it's because Olsen wanted out or Marvel wanted to stop using Wanda as a character. I explained to her that it's how the character was written in the comics, but she said it's still a let down because she likes Olsen lol.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Watching Wandavision before watching this movie would enrich it a lot. Especially if you pay attention to Agatha's words and the post credit scene of the finale.

You can still watch this without watching Wandavision, but it might lead to some unanswered questions afterwards.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
This is true, I'm seeing more and more comments from people online wondering why she's suddenly evil when she was good in Endgame. The movie may state that the kids aren't real, but it does not explain what actually happened in Westview, which was pretty fucked up!

It's not a massive deal, viewers can just roll with it, but they'll definitely have questions leaving the cinema. I suppose it works to Disney's benefit, with the movies and shows sending viewers back and forth.

There was a line about Wanda brainwashing a whole town though.

Feb 16, 2022
Should one have seen No Way Home prior to watching this?
That one they recapped pretty succinctly in this.

Seems like there's no real need for that, no. Still deciding whether I go to the cinema for this or not
I greatly recommend seeing this in theaters if you can. It's no the Batman, but it's still the best looking MCU movie yet in terms of overall package IMO. The colors really pop, unlike say Civil War or Endgame.

pauljeremiah

Oct 28, 2017
Ireland
Very disappointed with it, a terrible first hour that made me care not one iota for the second hour. For lack of a better phrase it felt like a theme park ride at times. Marvel fatigue is starting to kick in.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Just listened to Kermod and Mayos new podcast and Mark seemed to really like it. He loves Raimi and thought you could clearly see that he was directing the movie. He did say it should have been called 'Wanda' though due to she being the star and the focal point.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
What's the best/recommended Wandavision recap? I'm going into this movie and Sunday and don't want to be lost.

OP
OP

Rod

Oct 25, 2017
Cinemascore out - kinda surprising:

Was going to comment/add this previously, but the movie is really not sitting well with Top Critics - at the moment, it risks entering rotten territory for them (I think that's why it hasn't get a Certified Fresh yet):

Screenshot-20220507-145950-Samsung-Internet.jpg

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

Was going to comment/add this previously, but the movie is really not sitting well with Top Critics - at the moment, it risks entering rotten territory for them (I think that's why it hasn't get a Certified Fresh yet):

Yeah saw that earlier. Surprising.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

Was going to comment/add this previously, but the movie is really not sitting well with Top Critics - at the moment, it risks entering rotten territory for them:

Not surprising at all. It's now one of my favorite MCU films, but it's very much a Sam Raimi's film in a lot of ways more than any of his Spider-Man films ever were. It's a superhero film that flirts with horror and that's usually not known for having particularly high Cinemascores. If anything, it's higher than I was expecting, with the amount of horror elements that this PG-13 film got away with. I wouldn't call this a particularly family friendly film in the general sense of what we came to expect from the superhero fare, and even saying that it's still poised to get to $200m in North America alone, which is absolutely nuts.

As a film by itself, I'd give this a 9/10, but I wholeheartedly agree with everything that Moviebob says here: