• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Guess the tomatometer!

• 100-90%

Votes: 43 8.6%
  • 89-80%

Votes: 204 41.0%
  • 79-70%

Votes: 188 37.8%
  • 69-60%

Votes: 38 7.6%
  • 59-50%

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • 49-0%

Votes: 14 2.8%

• Total voters

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
i really enjoyed the film... like really really enjoyed the film

i'd put it over no way home in a heartbeat (and i liked no way home)

maybe i'm just an old skool raimi (burton) dark fantasy'esq genre lad

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Just came back from it, it's a different kind of movie than what we're used to with the MCU.
A lot more gruesome than what I was expecting.

Also, people should keep their wild expectations low. Will there is some, it's not the cameo-fest some are expecting.

Reed's death made me shiver. Hopefully, Krasinski get to play MCU Reed too.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Raimi replaced Derrickson and everyone said "upgrade"
Even if this movie was terrible, the fact that Raimi has a long filmography of films that people already know and enjoy never made the original statement out of place. The fact that people are saying Raimi's trademarks are all over the movie and that it goes full on into horror in ways that surprises many, that's what many people would have hoped for with him coming on board and it will also be enough to leave many satisfied, especially as an addition to his superhero and horror resume.

That is even without taking into account the quality of the movie. The other aspect to the reception is that expectations are really all over the place and for some people, a Raimi horror movie might not be what they thought they wanted.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Cross posting from the OT because that has become open spoilers and I haven't seen the movie yet

For people who saw it, without spoilers, how would you rank/rate the major characters?

Strange
Wanda
America
Mordo
Christine
Wong

Well, some of these characters have multiple versions present in the movie, so I'll group them together in my rankings:

Strange, America, Christine > Wong >> Wanda >>>>>>>>>> Mordo

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
The multiverse hype killed the movie unfortunately. The plot is very simple with some fun multiverse things here and there but yeah, marketing and fans jumped the shark.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The original Dr Strange movie is bottom-tier MCU. It went back to a very bog standard phase one-style origin story movie long after other MCU films had moved past that. It's competently made, but it couldn't be any less exciting or notable (except for just how hilariously similar it is to Batman Begins)
It's very funny how Dr. Strange one is basically Batman Begins+Inception+Iron Man 1. And it's still kinda dull and lifeless a lot of the time.

Party

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Gonna go see it this evening so I guess the question doesn't really matter... but do ya'll who have seen it think I will still enjoy it as an MCU film even if I kinda don't like Raimi's style?

Feb 16, 2022
I find it a bit hypocritical that many people keep saying it's "100% a Raimi movie" or "Raimi is all over this" or similar stuff, but when some people on the OT bring up their dissatisfaction with how Wanda's character was treated in the movie, they got replies saying "well Raimi didn't write/have anything to do with the story so.....".

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I went in with zero expectations and throughly enjoyed it. It felt very Sam Raimi in its direction, visuals etc and I loved it for it. If you're considering taking kids, it's very gory and a little spooky for PG-13.

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
Anybody else think that the main OT for the movie let open the spoiler floodgates too early? It happened yesterday even though the movie isn't widely out until tomorrow. I should probably ignore the thread at this point since I'd be pissed if I accidentally clicked it thinking it was this one.

Elevating it to a place well below the original is a weird flex.

Uh-oh, the troll got his fee-fees hurt.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I went in with zero expectations and throughly enjoyed it. It felt very Sam Raimi in its direction, visuals etc and I loved it for it. If you're considering taking kids, it's very gory and a little spooky for PG-13.
It's like a baby's first horror movie. 13 year olds can handle this easily. Probably wouldn't show it to 10 or below.

Apr 19, 2018
Anybody else think that the main OT for the movie let open the spoiler floodgates too early? It happened yesterday even though the movie isn't widely out until tomorrow. I should probably ignore the thread at this point since I'd be pissed if I accidentally clicked it thinking it was this one.

Yes, I was surprised at the early open spoilers switch-over as well. I would have figured tomorrow night to be a more reasonable timeframe to give a wider range of people a chance to see the film.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

I'm surprised there wasn't a separate spoiler thread created.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022
Yes, I was surprised at the early open spoilers switch-over as well. I would have figured tomorrow night to be a more reasonable timeframe to give a wider range of people a chance to see the film.
I'm not surprised anymore ever since the Disney+ stuff started and people were posting open spoilers in the first hour of the episode going live lol.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
It kinda sucks you can't read the opinions in the main OT since it is now open spoilers. Would also have preferred it stayed tagged spoilers for a bit longer.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Whats the general consensus? Where do you put this movie? is it worth it to watch in the cinema? are there surprise in it?
I only watch AAA Mcu movies in the theaters (Avengers, No way home, civil war..).
It's significantly better than those three movies you mention.

Then again, I didn't like any of those and I did like this.

Yes, and those people were 100% right. This isn't even in the same ballpark as the first Doctor Strange movie.

I find it a bit hypocritical that many people keep saying it's "100% a Raimi movie" or "Raimi is all over this" or similar stuff, but when some people on the OT bring up their dissatisfaction with how Wanda's character was treated in the movie, they got replies saying "well Raimi didn't write/have anything to do with the story so.....".
It has mostly to do with the feel of the movie. The plot is honestly whatever and isn't all that great (it's okay, except for some blatantly misogynistic stuff), but the movie in look and feel is 100% Raimi. Many of the used camera angles, shots, visual tricks, etc. come straight out of Evil Dead and Darkman.

There are also one fight scene that I'm almost 100% sure was Raimi's idea as it's exactly the kind of weird and fun shit he would do.

Last edited:

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
I think the movie has many, many issues, but I'm not sure how much Raimi is to blame for them. He at least tries to inject some energy.
It's the writing/plot, really.

If someone told me they think it's the worst MCU movie I would not fight them, even if Eternals and maybe Hulk are below it for me.
Without Raimi I think it would have been even worse though.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
It kinda sucks you can't read the opinions in the main OT since it is now open spoilers. Would also have preferred it stayed tagged spoilers for a bit longer.

Should have had a seperate spoiler topic.. Why not those movies are huge and people have been waiting on it for months

It is kinda odd. The OT thread for The Batman was spoiler-tagged for a good while after release. Maybe they just figure this will be the defacto non-spoiler thread, but most people won't even see the movie until at least tomorrow.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The original Doctor Strange was an unremarkable film carried by its visuals. It was fairly novel for its time, but ultimately forgettable, and even a lot of people seem to agree that the character didn't hit a true stride until Infinity War. Movies don't exist in a vacuum, a movie like that might've impressed then while the hype was riding high, but if that was the extent of what Derrickson had to say with the property, it's very unlikely that level of "quality" would've passed now considering how people argue for MCU fatigue becoming readily apparent. Much like Ant-Man and The Wasp, I enjoyed it while it was happening and I remember maybe five things about it.

By contrast, even if I hadn't enjoyed MoM immensely, it's damn near the most interesting film Marvel has put out in a good decade purely in terms of what it opts to do and what it's allowed to do. In a series that's turned its formula into money and discouraged perceptions of deviations, this is a film that's actually pretty interesting on several levels; and not just for the ways in which the whole multiverse is treated as a means to an end rather than some kind of fanservice bonanza. I'll probably actually still remember this film a few months from now.

All of that which is to say, I don't see how you can argue Raimi was not an upgrade over Derrickson unless all you care about is some arbitrary RT number.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't HAVE to watch What If to understand this right? I've watched everything but that and won't have time to watch it before the movie tonight.

As far as I know, there's very little to nothing of What If in this movie and you're totally fine having not watched it (I didn't and didn't feel like I missed anything).

There's Captain Carter, but jury's still out on whether it's the same one as from What If and it doesn't matter for the story anyway. The evil-looking Doctor Strange that many people theorized is Strange Supreme isn't him.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the movie a lot. If you expect No way home levels of fan service because of the multiverse part, this ain't it, although there are several interesting moments. I loved the villain and I'm fully on board with the story that is told in an epic and terrifying way (here I felt Raimi's touch the most). Some disagree with the context of the story and I understand why but I don't agree with their interpretations of the events.

There are several smart actions scenes/fights in it that made it stand out by comparison with the regular MCU movies.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Is Kermode and Mayo's new podcast starting tomorrow? This seems like a perfect review for them to start off with, would love to have Kermode's take on the horror elements.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Just out of the cinema. I liked it. Lots of good kills.

As expected, if you didn't watch Wandavision you didn't miss anything important.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
If you've seen a Raimi movie you'll recognize his camera shots

Fl8.gif

tumblr_msvfguhDIo1svbr3co1_400.gif

There is a pretty short list of directors who you can spot simply from their camera work, but he's absolutely one of them. Just watch the original Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 again, they just have a feeling that MCU movies don't generally have, a singular style. It's in everything, the camera work, the editing, the montages, it's all over the place. I like a lot of the MCU movies a lot, but rewatching that Spider-Man trilogy really made me go "Oh right, there is a universe where these movies could actually look and feel like someone with style was making them".

Excuse my ignorance but whenever I hear about Sam its always tied to Spiderman so I had no idea about any of his previous work or after. looking at his catalogue it seems like he's mostly horror which is surprising. Guess I'll be in for a treat seeing as this movie seems to have horror elements to it.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
Excuse my ignorance but whenever I hear about Sam its always tied to Spiderman so I had no idea about any of his previous work or after. looking at his catalogue it seems like he's mostly horror which is surprising. Guess I'll be in for a treat seeing as this movie seems to have horror elements to it.
you should definitely give The Evil Dead films a shot, especially 2.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Warned: Posting Unmarked Spoilers
Came out of this movie absolutely buzzing. I loved everything about it.

It followed up on Wandavision perfectly with Wanda's grief and power having absolutely corrupted her. Her whole arc has been great and I can't wait to see where she shows up next and in what capacity.
I really enjoyed America Chavez, great character with heaps of charisma, though I felt in a slightly longer cut there could have been more time to develop her from "I CAN'T DO IT" to suddenly "ah yeah, I got this". She'll do well in whatever Marvel are cooking up for Young Avengers/Champions. That team up is looking hype as hell.

Strange himself was great. Perfect display of tired dad vibes & the cocky Stephen Strange we've come to know. Felt like some real character growth and I love that they didn't awkwardly veer towards a successful romance plot.

The Raimi horror of it all was utterly perfect & really made the movie stand out from other MCU films imo. From the moment the eye monster was killed with that satisfying SCHHLLLUKK I knew we were in for an Evil Dead esque treat & omg I was so right. Beautiful.

The takedown of the Illuminati was brutal & set Wanda up as a real top tier threat. I particularly loved her coming out of the gong & the jumpscare takedown of Xavier. Horrid.

That Strange vs Strange fight scene was one of my favourites ever. So fun.

I'm tempted to go see this again in a couple of weeks, which is very rare for me.

Mod Edit: Added Spoiler Tags

Last edited by a moderator: