• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm about to go watch the film today with my brother.
Question is...I haven't watched any of the Marvel series on Disney+ like Wandavision for example.
Will this hinder my experience or I'll be just fine?I'm kinda anxious to tbh that I'll not understand the plot...

You probably will be a little baffled tbh

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Question is...I haven't watched any of the Marvel series on Disney+ like Wandavision for example.
Will this hinder my experience or I'll be just fine?I'm kinda anxious to tbh that I'll not understand the plot...
All you need to know going into Dr Strange is:
- Wanda got a tremendous power upgrade and is dealing with it on her own, she isn't an Avenger anymore.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw it. Really enjoyed it.

First film where people said it was "different" for the MCU that I agree with that take. Movie was very creepy in a great way.

It was also very visually striking and (aside from GOTG's vocal soundtrack) the first time I noticed the music in an MCU movie. I'd call it an atmospheric triumph for the MCU, it definitely stands out.

Probably not my favorite overall story but I enjoyed the concepts and setpieces, Elizabeth Olsen ate her villain role up too.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017

She mind-controlled/enslaved a town called Westview to create a fake perfect life and fake kids for herself. By the end, she got hold of a corrupting book full of dark magic and became 'the scarlet witch', -a crazy powerful prophecised being - and was using these new power sources to try and find real versions of her fake kids.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand the logic between the final shot and the post-credit scene. Like... Strange's third eye awake, then he is in the same street like nothing happened ? Those 2 scenes are kinda mutually exclusive. Unless a whole movie happened between them.

Or am I missing something ?
The logic is that Sam Raimi probably wanted the movie to end on the classic Sam Raimi smash cut ending where everything seems okay and then in the final scene everything turns out to be not okay (see also: Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Drag Me to Hell), but Marvel wanted their mid-credits scene to be a direct setup for the next movie and introduce Theron as Clea.

And thus the movie ends on Strange screaming out in pain and an ominous third eye appearing, and then it moves to a mid-credits scene where it is immediately revealed that Strange is totally fine and the third eye is like a level-up or some shit.

It's dumb and one of the most obvious parts where Raimi's sensibilities and Marvel Studios' formula clash.

EDIT: Honestly, the mid-credits scene would've felt much less out of place if it took place directly after the final scene of the movie, with Strange still sitting on the ground going "WTF" at the third eye. The weird decision to have that scene take place (probably) "a few weeks later" makes it feel incredibly off.

Last edited:

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
What a crap movie....

People started laughing at how silly it was at times, not in a good way.
Everything just felt too on the nose for it to be taken seriously.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The logic is that Sam Raimi probably wanted the movie to end on the classic Sam Raimi smash cut ending where everything seems okay and then in the final scene everything turns out to be not okay (see also: Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, Army of Darkness, Drag Me to Hell), but Marvel wanted their mid-credits scene to be a direct setup for the next movie and introduce Theron as Clea.

And thus the movie ends on Strange screaming out in pain and an ominous third eye appearing, and then it moves to a mid-credits scene where it is immediately revealed that Strange is totally fine and the third eye is like a level-up or some shit.

It's dumb and one of the most obvious parts where Raimi's sensibilities and Marvel Studios' formula clash.

EDIT: Honestly, the mid-credits scene would've felt much less out of place if it took place directly after the final scene of the movie, with Strange still sitting on the ground going "WTF" at the third eye. The weird decision to have that scene take place (probably) "a few weeks later" makes it feel incredibly off.

its a really bad TV style edit where they want to move to a different time/place but with the same character. Its nearly always jarring unless you have an establishing shot like the cheesy slow zoom into apartment window

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Glad Wong is still around, but he was quite the jobber vs Strange in Infinity War or the Ancient One in the OG movie.

Also Wanda believed the Darkhold was destroyed until Wong told of the original location, risking the multiverse to save a couple of his people.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
wasn't the reason wanda could destroy the stone from vision head, because only stones can destroy stones?
I vaguely recall something like this being said by Vision, but...that was just their assumption at the time. Everyone believed that her powers came from the stone because they had no reason to think otherwise.

Why would you think the powers the stone gave her are separate? It's not as if there's some sort of distinction there. Her core abilities have been the same from the start. Fully unlocking the Scarlet Witch has largely just upped the scale of her abilities.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
I have a bet Scarlett Witch is still alive, but is rescued by the X-Men, 616 Professor X wipes her mind and keeps the truth from her and she relearns her powers at the academy. Okay that's pretty dumb.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I vaguely recall something like this being said by Vision, but...that was just their assumption at the time. Everyone believed that her powers came from the stone because they had no reason to think otherwise.

Why would you think the powers the stone gave her are separate? It's not as if there's some sort of distinction there. Her core abilities have been the same from the start. Fully unlocking the Scarlet Witch has largely just upped the scale of her abilities.
Some of her power clearly came from the stone. She tells Vision in WandaVision that he is (I believe) "the part of the soul stone that lives inside her."

She was always capable of being a witch, the stone amplified that power (and who's to say that's not always what was supposed to happen to create the "Scarlet Witch").

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
I have a bet Scarlett Witch is still alive, but is rescued by the X-Men, 616 Professor X wipes her mind and keeps the truth from her and she relearns her powers at the academy. Okay that's pretty dumb.
I don't think 616 X-Men exist until after secret wars.. I feel we're going to get a partial reboot with X-Men in about three years or so? I'm not entirely sure on the timeline of the film's schedule at this point.

We're getting young avengers and dark avengers/thunderbolts set up and fantastic four then it's likely straight into incursions.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So Wong says Scarlet Witch is to either rule or annihilate the cosmos. Is that understood to be just one universe, or the multiverse?

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the Scarlet Witch was sort of a cosmic energy entity, and Wanda just happened to be her host.

Or we're all the prophecies Agatha spoke about specifically talking about Wanda, and they just refer to her as the Scarlet Witch?

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Regarding Tom Cruise as Iron Man:

"Yeah, that was totally made up. I mean, there's no cut footage of Tom Cruise! But I love Tom Cruise, and I said to [Marvel Studios president] Kevin [Feige] at one point, I was like, 'Could we get Tom Cruise's Iron Man?' I remember reading about that in Ain't It Cool News back in the day, that Tom Cruise was going to be Iron Man. As it was being talked about online, I was like, 'Yeah, that'd be cool!'"

"I mean, he was shooting Mission Impossible 7 and 8. I don't believe [anyone actually contacted Cruise]. I just don't think it was ever an option, because of availability."

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

I liked the movie overall, but this is a great point

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I would reccomend at least watching the Wanda and Vision legends episodes on Disney+ or if you don't have that some sort of summary on youtube of what happens.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I really dug how John K brought that family man vibe to Reed. He's a great dad and husband IRL as far as I've seen and did a great job in Quiet Place and brought that to this role.

When she asked about the mother, his sigh and yes was almost like he knew what was going to happen and knew at least they were likely safe from her. And he wasn't going to see them again

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I really dug how John K brought that family man vibe to Reed. He's a great dad and husband IRL as far as I've seen and did a great job in Quiet Place and brought that to this role.

When she asked about the mother, his sigh and yes was almost like he knew what was going to happen and knew at least they were likely safe from her. And he wasn't going to see them again

Yeah, I liked how he played it there. If it is an older Reed in the MCU, I hope it's him.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I liked Krasinski here but would definitely prefer a younger Reed to start out in the F4 movies

It was kinda uncanny, he looked exactly like some of the fan-made edits of him in the costume.

I went to pee during the credits, that was Anson Mount as Black Bolt right?

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Was fun, Raimy was like "suuure yeah i'll do a doctor strange movie marvel, sure" and he went full evil dead lol.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
We saw it last night, gf is big marvel fan. She loved it, I was just confused. Some cool action sequences I guess, but as a standalone movie from a 'i don't really pay much attention to the back stories in the other ones I've seen' perspective, it was just dull for me. The eye octopus fight was cool tho.

It's like, you're either all-in on the universe, else it's meh.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
This movie is more a Wandavision sequel than it is a Dr. Strange one. They give you enough info to piece things together, but you're losing out on the emotional impact by not watching Wandavision.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
We saw it last night, gf is big marvel fan. She loved it, I was just confused. Some cool action sequences I guess, but as a standalone movie from a 'i don't really pay much attention to the back stories in the other ones I've seen' perspective, it was just dull for me. The eye octopus fight was cool tho.

It's like, you're either all-in on the universe, else it's meh.

Yeah, at this point they aren't holding the audience's hand anymore. When you go into these movies and shows with a few exceptions (like Eternals or Moon Knight) you're pretty much expected to be caught up with all the material up to that point.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yeah, at this point they aren't holding the audience's hand anymore. When you go into these movies and shows with a few exceptions (like Eternals or Moon Knight) you're pretty much expected to be caught up with all the material up to that point.

Glad theyre doing this now. I was surprised the movie just expects you to have watched WandaVision and didnt do much to catch the audience up, and that let the movie really move at a solid pace from the start

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like how twitchy Wanda gets when they refuse to give her the kid. She views herself as being merciful about it and when no one else seems to think so she's got a kind of "how dare you" twitch on the corners of her mouth

And the intensive stare she's giving when Strange asks what's gonna happen to the other Wanda like she hadn't considered that and is angry that she has to consider that

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I was entertained while watching it. But the more I've sat with it, the film seems fine as a standalone affair. But as another chapter in this grand MCU saga there are glaring cracks that are more and more apparent to me.

I'm really curious about what was cut and or changed due to the reshoots. There are hints of another film in there and I wonder what that film was and if it would have made it more or less coherent. Specifically when it comes to Wanda and her motivations. I heard the other day that Raimi and the screenwriter didn't watch Wanda Vision and if this is true it definitely shows in the final product and is absolutely baffling.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I was entertained while watching it. But the more I've sat with it, the film seems fine as a standalone affair. But as another chapter in this grand MCU saga there are glaring cracks that are more and more apparent to me.

I'm really curious about what was cut and or changed due to the reshoots. There are hints of another film in there and I wonder what that film was and if it would have made it more or less coherent. Specifically when it comes to Wanda and her motivations. I heard the other day that Raimi and the screenwriter didn't watch Wanda Vision and if this is true it definitely shows in the final product and is absolutely baffling.

Olsen has said most of the reshoots didn't involve her, except for ADR work.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Very interesting interview with Elizabeth Olsen on how was it to play a villain:

Interesting also that she found out about it before finishing Wandavision.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So there was a brief moment where Strange was running down a hall and he had Strange Supreme's demon shadow. What was up with that? He hadn't done the darkhold thing yet

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I'm kinda shocked that Charlize Theron appearing as Clea didn't leak. That was a huge surprise.

I sure hope the next Strange sequel comes much faster so we can follow up on that, 616 Mordo and Dormammu ASAP

So there was a brief moment where Strange was running down a hall and he had Strange Supreme's demon shadow. What was up with that? He hadn't done the darkhold thing yet

That was just a gag to make it look like something scary was coming down the hall when it was just him looking for America & Christine

Last edited:

keyzz

Dec 12, 2018
What a crap movie....

People started laughing at how silly it was at times, not in a good way.
Everything just felt too on the nose for it to be taken seriously.

Glad to see this post as it's exactly how my wife and I felt - and we walked out about 2/3 through. Some of the dialogue and character decisions were outright laughable. Did not find it to be a good Marvel movie or a good movie on its own. I give Marvel credit for trying something new, but maybe not necessary to fix something that wasn't broken

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Glad to see this post as it's exactly how my wife and I felt - and we walked out about 2/3 through. Some of the dialogue and character decisions were outright laughable. Did not find it to be a good Marvel movie or a good movie on its own. I give Marvel credit for trying something new, but maybe not necessary to fix something that wasn't broken

No way, 2/3 lol! You missed zombie Dr.Strange (he dreamhops to take control of dead strange). It was beyond silly. That's literally the moment I was like "ok I'm done"

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I liked the movie but I do think that this was the most 'made-for-MCU-fans-only' movie they've done; with added Raimi-sauce you either like because you like his previous movies or dont care for at all. And it was all way 'too much'.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
that was the moment I was like "now this is a fuckin' Doctor Strange movie"

that and the magic music fight were amazing moments. this was one of my favorite MCU third acts in a while.

To be fair I didn't have a problem with the concept, but the make-up/CG looked really fake and the whole thing was leaning too heavily on comedy.

Happy for anyone that liked the movie. It wasn't my cup of tea and that's OK.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017