• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm the only one that hates BB's death? like what is even happening there?

"you have no mouth so you can't make a sound" ok... so i'll stay quiet then, i won't try to make a sound which apparently reverbs back into my head whut?
If you suddenly found your mouth disappeared you'd probably have a visceral reaction to it as well

CelebratedDeterminedLeafwing-max-1mb.gif

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
I feel conflicted.

As a Raimi fan, I love this film.

As a Marvel fan this movie was terrible.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
If you suddenly found your mouth disappeared you'd probably have a visceral reaction to it as well

CelebratedDeterminedLeafwing-max-1mb.gif
The man never speaks. He's learned to control that impulse, but suddenly he has the compulsion to talk when his mouth is sealed? 🤨

Loved the scene from a visceral horror stance, but it makes no sense. Just like Reed throwing fists instead of using his brain.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The man never speaks. He's learned to control that impulse, but suddenly he has the compulsion to talk when his mouth is sealed? 🤨

Loved the scene from a visceral horror stance, but it makes no sense. Just like Reed throwing fists instead of using his brain.
Yeah have to agree, it was very silly

Can't tell if this is some sort of joke or pun but it's Reed Richards, not Reeds Richard.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

I mean, he clearly panicked, like most people would if their mouth suddenly disappeared, his reaction is not that unbelievable, really not sure why people have an issue with it. I think most people are overthinking it really.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Why did possessed Wanda have to limp barefoot down a corridor instead of fly? - Because its scary and mean and badass like a Terminator John Mclane

Why did Wanda send demons after Chavez instead of sending a possessed Wanda after her from the start when the plan was always to kill her? - she was being reasonable (and probably lazy)

Why were there three McGuffins in a single film? McDonalds have the patent on the double Mcguffin

Why did Dr Strange forget he was magic when dealing with the souls of the damned until Christine told him "remember you are magic"?

I enjoyed the film but have a multiverse of questions.

Feb 16, 2022

Screamcover.jpg

But seriously, no matter how disciplined he had been about his voice, if he lost his whole mouth it makes sense he'd be so shocked and panicked and involuntarily let out a sound.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't matter. It's an absolutely horrible line that, for me, destroys almost any nuance there could have been about what Wanda did.

On top of that, it made me dislike Monica as a character. They did her so dirty.

Monica is just getting Wanda to stand down. She may not mean what she's saying ? If we're wanting to encourage grey how about interpreting that line as grey also?

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I was wondering how Strange made a reference to Spider-Man in this if the memory of Spider-Man was erased. So this takes place before No Way Home…. interesting and kind of a major screw up.
He remembers Spider-Man, just not Peter Parker, so him mentioning Spidey makes sense. Now, how he remembers that there was an incident with Spider-Man involving the multiverse, especially since knowledge of who Peter Parker is is central to that entire incident, is unclear but can be chalked up to "writing multiverse/timetravel stories without paradoxes is pretty much impossible".

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the movie for a second time today. Kinda want to see at least a Disney+ show of 838 now. I wonder what their future is like now that 5/6 of the Illuminati is dead. Having the leader of the X-Men, the Inhumans, and F4 die at the same time must have giant consequences.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the movie earlier today.

Asked my wife how she felt about Wanda's evil turn and she said she completely understands and thought it was carried over well from Wanadavision, especially as we watched Wanadavision together as new parents and now we wanted Doctor Strange 2 with a one year old.

Most interesting comment was that she said 2 years ago she thinks it would have been harder to relate but now with a kid she understands the "get your kids back at the cost of all else" perspective and the narrow-minded focus Wanda had throughout the movie.

Thought all of that was super interesting.

I loved the movie and hope Sam Raimi gets to do the third.

Totally. People don't want black and white yet paint the ending of Wandavision like that too. They don't think Wanda can be evil because she realised what she was doing was bad in WV? So what? All of these things can be true at the same time.

Wanda releases the town by sacrificing her family because its the right thing to do + Wanda still wants her family back if thats possible

The Darkhold clearly is tempting her with that possibility at the end of WV. Start of Strange assuming some time has passed it isn't a big leap to imagine the Darkhold has completely consumed her and she's singularly focused on getting her kids back

Oct 27, 2017
I actually laughed out loud at the scene where she slid in in front of the blast doors because it reminded me of the scene in Mulholland Drive with the guy behind the wall.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still shocked by how they did Captain Carter in.
Awesome movie that did not shy away of being gruesome. Visual effects and fights were really imaginative, loved the music fight. Kinda lame America ended up in Wong's school for gifted children. Wish she became a lone multiversal adventurer.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Totally. People don't want black and white yet paint the ending of Wandavision like that too. They don't think Wanda can be evil because she realised what she was doing was bad in WV? So what? All of these things can be true at the same time.

Wanda releases the town by sacrificing her family because its the right thing to do + Wanda still wants her family back if thats possible

The Darkhold clearly is tempting her with that possibility at the end of WV. Start of Strange assuming some time has passed it isn't a big leap to imagine the Darkhold has completely consumed her and she's singularly focused on getting her kids back
She also dreams every night of her kids only to wake up alone. And through the dark hold she knows that those dreams are actually real

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Awesome movie that did not shy away of being gruesome. Visual effects and fights were really imaginative, loved the music fight. Kinda lame America ended up in Wong's school for gifted children. Wish she became a lone multiversal adventurer.
Speaking of Wong's school of gifted children, lol

Now that people are aware wizard exist, I wonder if there's a huge increase of people coming to learn magic, or if they still hide their location.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
My partner and I had a really good time with this, even though it is a very messy film which doesn't always quite land. There were audible laughs in my screening (mine included) when Mordo had his line about meeting the Illuminati.

Some random thoughts:

- Xavier's chair is freaking huge!
- Carter's jetpack was very silly.
- I was quite surprised at how violent the film was, even if a lot of it was (more or less) implied violence. I think it's quite telling to compare this to the original Spider-Man, which premiered the 12A rating here in the UK only 20 years ago.
- It's been interesting to follow the discourse about Scarlet Witch's characterisation in this film. I suppose my main issue with it is that (like a lot of the characters) she isn't written deeply enough, but my feeling is that she isn't written thoroughly enough as a villain. I think the movie definitely could have done more itself to emphasise her motivations and behaviour in that regard, but suffers from a lot of MCU media in simply referring to previous media as a shorthand instead. In any case, I find it hard to see how they could redeem her character, which is certainly a shame.
- As was pointed out in another thread, it is a shame that Mordo's storyline from the first Doctor Strange is basically jettisoned, but I guess at some point you do reach a limit in longform storytelling that can't be overcome.
- My partner and I were laughing about America's origin story on the way home. Imagine killing your parents because you were afraid of being stung by a bee!

Last edited:

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

That feels more like shorthand for 'next time you see her she may have powers and abilities she didn't before - Wong taught her how to harness them'

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Especially after we see that Wanda sees other realities where she has kids every single night. Even without the darkhold, that's a lot to swallow.

Oct 25, 2017
I like how Wong was all "I'm sorcerer supreme" but when Wanda showed up to the fortress he's all "good luck talking to her Strange" haha

WaluigiTime

Oct 27, 2017
Good Burger
Holy shit, I loved the movie and I hope The Officeman is back as Reed. It would be nice if Patrick Stewart got to play Professor X again in something he doesn't die in but he is 81 years old...

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I just finished the movie and I'd say a 7/10 is about right. Special effects were fantastic, and Sam Rami definitely stamped his style on it however, I felt the story beats were off. It wasn't so much on what was happening story wise but how it was being executed. Wanda being the villain to the extent that she was didn't really sit well with me. Obviously after wandavision she realized she had to stop enslaving people as it was wrong and it wasn't going to give her family back in any real sense. So she stumbled across the dark hold and figured she'd be able to travel the multiverse to get to her kids instead since they exist elsewhere, however in the process she's willing to ultimately kill herself, others and kids(American Chavez) just to get them back? I'm not mad she was playing a villainous role, I just think she could have been written better. Still a fun movie none the less as it's visuals alone hold it higher than any other phase 4 movie.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I really enjoyed the movie.
Also, while I don't go out of my way to avoid spoilers I am glad I knew nothing of all these cameos. They were fun.

But puh, there is a lot going on in this movie...

kinoki

Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me who think that both Steve and Clint could have done more to support Wanda? It feels like they boosted her up and just left her. When she got into her troubles they were nowhere to be seen. Or, am I the only one who see them as partly responsible for her? (Wasn't it them who kind of recruited a radicalised youth into the Avengers?)

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Bro he just realized what he is facing, it's sheer terror. Forget rationality when absolute nightmare happens.
Yeah have to agree, it was very silly

No.... It was not ...

It's horrifying and he panicked and made the slightest sound (or the whole head would have imploded).

Of the all the dumb things to call out this isn't it.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.... It was not ...

It's horrifying and he panicked and made the slightest sound (or the whole head would have imploded).

That's your opinion and you are of course welcome to have one. I stand by what I said

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
That's your opinion and you are of course welcome to have one. I stand by what I said

It's not an opinion.

Fear is known to cause lapse of judgement and impairs decision making which can lead to irrational behavior.

While everyone experiences different degrees of that, a slight whisper being the result of horrifying shock is, in fact... not stilly. It makes perfect sense.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I have a random question.
What's with the bull? Even got prominent named credits?
That's Rintrah - prominent supporting Strange character from the 80s/90s. Alien minotaur guy, becomes his apprentice.

I'm kind of assuming a couple scenes with him ended up on the cutting room floor, because he's weirdly prominent (and probably very expensive) for what amounts to an extra with a couple lines.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not an opinion.

Fear is known to cause lapse of judgement and impairs decision making which can lead to irrational behavior.

While everyone experiences different degrees of that, a slight whisper being the result of horrifying shock is, in fact... not stilly. It makes perfect sense.
I understand the fear of someone losing their mouth and the ability the speak. Black Bolt is someone who doesn't talk, at all. So I think it was silly for him to react like that, especially when he doesn't ever speak anyway (unless in a fight).

I disagree about it making sense, it doesn't to me and most people I know personally who had the same opinion. We can agree to disagree

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I loved this movie as much as so many in this thread did, and I think that all falls on me as my expectations were ridiculously high.

Not that it matters but this was my overall thoughts I had to share with a friend just now as they were shocked I did not love it...

The combo of MCU and Raimi was just not the bat shit crazy I thought it would be. There are no doubt a few scenes / sequences where I thought to myself THIS is what I expected.

Dr Strange is literally just the perfect character to push the envelope with to get both scary and crazy, and I feel like said make believe envelope was just poked instead of pushed.

Make no mistake, I definitely liked it. I just did not love it as I thought I would. It felt pretty safe to me.

I fully admit my expectations may have just been way too high and once I watch it again I will appreciate the fact it does what it does instead of what I thought it would do.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this. I went in with expectations of it being a much different movie, and was pleasantly surprised how simple it was. I'm glad they didn't have a bunch of separate villains or tons of Stranges/Wandas. I was kind of hoping we'd see maybe one or two more universes but for only being 2 hours, I can't complain.

I wasn't expecting it to lean so far into the horror visuals as it did, I was really expecting them to not let Sam Raimi be himself but his style is so built into this. Things like Wanda pulling people through puddles from the mirror dimension or everything with her vs the illuminati were perfectly done. Everything in the final act with zombie Strange left me itching to watch Army of Darkness again.

My fiancee said this is probably her favorite MCU movie now and it's definitely up there for me, maybe in my top 5. It just felt so much more fresh than something like Spider-Man NWH.

pochi

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I'm the only one that hates BB's death? like what is even happening there?

"you have no mouth so you can't make a sound" ok... so i'll stay quiet then, i won't try to make a sound which apparently reverbs back into my head whut?
Notice that BB's fork was already shining when Reed was explaining to Wanda.
So BB already used his voice but Wanda closed his mouth.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Bro he just realized what he is facing, it's sheer terror. Forget rationality when absolute nightmare happens.

No.... It was not ...

I just don't understand how his whisper or sound hurts him at that moment. It doesn't hurt him any other time as sound bounces around in his head like when he makes any sound, he still has teeth, his throat isn't destroyed, any sound he made without opening his mouth should do the same, etc. It was just a cool visual that doesn't make sense but it's cool.

It's easier just to say Wanda did it haha.

Notice that BB's fork was already shining when Reed was explaining to Wanda.
So BB already used his voice but Wanda closed his mouth.

This would mean if he hummed, he would blow his head up lol

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I think zombie strange should've stopped the mountain from collapsing and let wanda escape while saying the same line that professor x said in the Illuminati chamber. I think that would've been a better ending for her.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
I think zombie strange should've stopped the mountain from collapsing and let wanda escape while saying the same line that professor x said in the Illuminati chamber. I think that would've been a better ending for her.
You reckon he shoudve let her escape after she killed so many people?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
You reckon he shoudve let her escape after she killed so many people?

Not necessarily escape trouble, escape the mountain collapsing. He should've offered her some help that she clearly needs. I think she would've taken that help especially after the Darkholds have been destroyed and she no longer wants to kill America.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily escape trouble, escape the mountain collapsing. He should've offered her some help that she clearly needs. I think she would've taken that help especially after the Darkholds have been destroyed and she no longer wants to kill America.
Ahh I see.

In any case though, I think she's definitely coming back. I dont think they'll give a character we've followed for so long such an unceremonious exit.

StreetsAhead

Sep 16, 2020
I've seen it twice now, and while recency bias is definitely a thing, I feel pretty confident in saying that this is one of my favorite MCU movies. Such a fun ride and Raimi was the perfect person for the job - I hope he's back for the sequel. Confused by some of the critiques calling it messy as I found it pretty straightforward despite worrying that it would be overstuffed and convoluted.

I agree with you, that would've been a nice touch if he repeated Xavier's line to her before she chooses to destroy the Darkhold and Wundagore.